August 28, 2014, 09:38:14 AM

Poll

Is the noise coming from this 24-70 2.8 USM II normal?!

Yes
4 (17.4%)
No
15 (65.2%)
It's a normal mechanical noise - nothing to be worried about (What Canon tells me)
4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Lens Squeak - 24-70 2.8 USM II - Is this Normal?  (Read 7299 times)

mshaw

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Lens Squeak - 24-70 2.8 USM II - Is this Normal?
« on: November 26, 2013, 11:23:14 AM »

I've had my 24-70 for a few months now and its started squeaking when retracting the zoom barrel. I've sent it into cannon for repair (under warranty) and they've sent it back saying that this is normal. I'm not sold yet.

Never had a lens do this before - looking for some advice on the issue. Links to video of squeak below.

Canon 24-70 2.8 USM II Lens Squeak (2)

IMG 0036

Thanks!
     Mark   

canon rumors FORUM

Lens Squeak - 24-70 2.8 USM II - Is this Normal?
« on: November 26, 2013, 11:23:14 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
Re: Lens Squeak - 24-70 2.8 USM II - Is this Normal?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 11:46:43 AM »
My 24-105 was worst. To me, it's normal.

However, if your copy still within 30days return policy, then return it and ask for new one.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

mshaw

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 01:00:36 PM »
My 24-105 was worst. To me, it's normal.

However, if your copy still within 30days return policy, then return it and ask for new one.

Thanks for the advice Dylan - but I'm past the 30 day return. Guess I'll have to trade it in for the Otus  ;)

Here is what Canon service told me about the squeaking this AM. "some small amount of "squeak" or "whistle" is normal when this lens is zoomed in and out, especially when the lens is still fairly new.  The sound comes from the dust and weather seals inside the lens moving against the lens barrel.  This is normal operation of the lens, and not a malfunction. "

Sounds plausible, but I've never had any lens squeak before - let alone one this new/costly. When I first used the 24-70 there was no squeak - it has began to chirp only in the last couple months. Will have to see what the next few months/years brings. Appears, I may be stuck with the issue at this point.

takesome1

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 01:14:10 PM »
You could always send it to Canon and tell them you shoot video and you need the squeak fixed.
Or
You could accept the pacifier that Canon's service department gave you this morning.

Then there is the DIY method, possibly a bit of axel grease on the outside barrel might stop it from squeaking.
Or perhaps some light weight oil or a shot of WD 40 would do the trick.

I would stick with complaining to Canon, and adopt the old saying "the squeaky lens will get the grease".

mshaw

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »
You could always send it to Canon and tell them you shoot video and you need the squeak fixed.
Or
You could accept the pacifier that Canon's service department gave you this morning.

Then there is the DIY method, possibly a bit of axel grease on the outside barrel might stop it from squeaking.
Or perhaps some light weight oil or a shot of WD 40 would do the trick.

I would stick with complaining to Canon, and adopt the old saying "the squeaky lens will get the grease".

I've had it in to canon service two times within the last 2 weeks. The first run around no one could re-produce the squeak. I included directions on how to produce the squeak and re-sent the lens in for service for round two.

The second time the lens went through service - I was told it went to a 'Senior Technician' who was able to re-produce the squeak, but felt the squeak was 'normal.'

Not sure if they'd allow it a third time. Seemed stern in their stance that this was 'normal.' I'm all for the WD-40, maybe just shoot some graphite powder down the barrel  :P Wish Canon would just fix the darn thing. Does anyone else's 24-70 do this - I am just having trouble accepting that this is a 'normal' non-issue. Got my panties in a bunch over here!

Wiki Tango

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 02:16:33 PM »
Ouch.
I would refrain from any greasing, oil, WD40 or other lubricants  ::)

My 24-105 never did this, my 70-300 is a non-L and has no weather sealing.
Sorry that I have no lens to compare :-(
but I would hope to get an answer from one of those lens rental guys, as they have a large amount of such lenses and maybe could underpin or disagree to Canon's opinion "that this is normal"...

And I totally agree: next time you should really tell them that you shoot video and the squeak is a NO-GO.
Good luck!!
5D3 | 7D gripped | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF-S 60mm 2.8 | EF 85mm 1.8 | To 12-24 4.0 | EF 24-105mm L | EF 70-300mm IS | 430 + 580 II and more stuff &

...probably more Polaroid cameras than you ;-)

Ruined

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 02:26:23 PM »
I'll come out and say it.  I think the 24-70 2.8 USM II has a faulty design and/or manufacturing issue affecting a multitude of lenses that Canon is refusing to fix under warranty, hoping they can sweep under the carpet.  Likely whatever is causing the problem it is not cheap to fix, hence the reason it "does not exist."

REASON: You are not the only one with issues zooming this lens.  Other people report clicking noises when zooming, creaking noises, etc:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=15231.0

They send their lens to Canon and often get the same baloney, that noise like that is normal.  This is unacceptable especially since its frequently attached to cameras shooting video.  Unless you shoot horror movies,  I would think lens squeaking is undesirable.

I would call Canon once more and advise if they refuse to honor warranty you will file BBB action, see what your credit card company can do, file a report with the FTC that Canon is falsely advertising a warranty and not honoring it, etc:

CONSUMER PROTECTION RESOURCES:
http://www.bbb.org
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0341-file-complaint-ftc
http://consumerist.com/

You may also want to contact this guy, as he had similar problems with a defect that Canon said was normal:
http://www.nashyspix.com/
http://www.photocounter.com.au/2013/canon-warranty-dispute-leads-to-claims-of-fraud/

Others reading this thread, all the more reason to pass on this lens and wait for the inevitable 24-70 f/2.8 IS  which hopefully will have this manufacturing/design issue fixed... :P
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:34:27 PM by Ruined »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 02:26:23 PM »

mshaw

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 03:35:01 PM »
I'll come out and say it.  I think the 24-70 2.8 USM II has a faulty design and/or manufacturing issue affecting a multitude of lenses that Canon is refusing to fix under warranty, hoping they can sweep under the carpet.  Likely whatever is causing the problem it is not cheap to fix, hence the reason it "does not exist."

REASON: You are not the only one with issues zooming this lens.  Other people report clicking noises when zooming, creaking noises, etc:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=15231.0

They send their lens to Canon and often get the same baloney, that noise like that is normal.  This is unacceptable especially since its frequently attached to cameras shooting video.  Unless you shoot horror movies,  I would think lens squeaking is undesirable.

I would call Canon once more and advise if they refuse to honor warranty you will file BBB action, see what your credit card company can do, file a report with the FTC that Canon is falsely advertising a warranty and not honoring it, etc:

CONSUMER PROTECTION RESOURCES:
http://www.bbb.org
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0341-file-complaint-ftc
http://consumerist.com/

You may also want to contact this guy, as he had similar problems with a defect that Canon said was normal:
http://www.nashyspix.com/
http://www.photocounter.com.au/2013/canon-warranty-dispute-leads-to-claims-of-fraud/

Others reading this thread, all the more reason to pass on this lens and wait for the inevitable 24-70 f/2.8 IS  which hopefully will have this manufacturing/design issue fixed... :P

Ha, IS would be nice! Maybe this is the universes way of telling us all that primes are better. Thank you for the wealth of information, at least I'm not the only one. I will write Canon Service back today and see what there response is. I'm just still surprised that something like this would be considered normal. I will keep you posted and I'll keep the WD-40 at arms length in the meantime  ;D

Ruined

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »
Ha, IS would be nice! Maybe this is the universes way of telling us all that primes are better. Thank you for the wealth of information, at least I'm not the only one. I will write Canon Service back today and see what there response is. I'm just still surprised that something like this would be considered normal. I will keep you posted and I'll keep the WD-40 at arms length in the meantime  ;D

No problem :)

And, considering something like this "normal" is simply Canon's economical way of evading their warranty commitment.  It is possible fixing the squeaks and other noises people are getting would be expensive, so Canon wants to avoid this by claiming it is normal and cosmetic. In reality, it is a serious concern if you shoot video (and just out of workmanship I would hope a $2200 lens does not squeak!)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:25:16 PM by Ruined »

takesome1

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 03:51:24 PM »
  The sound comes from the dust and weather seals inside the lens moving against the lens barrel.

It was my thought that your barrel was dirty. Dirty seals.

But I wouldn't accept this response from Canon. Dust inside the lens isn't acceptable if it is new.
Tell them to clean the lens.

mshaw

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 03:54:42 PM »
*Here is my response to Canon. I do mostly still work, but also video. Thanks to WIKI TANGO - I tried a bit of video and that squeak is wretched. It will have to go back in. The lens chirp sounds like squeaking breaks from a car.

Factory Service,

I appreciate your continued and timely correspondence. Although you have deemed the squeaking 'normal,' it severely detracts from my ability to shoot video. I am a nature photographer. I may be able to work around the squeak for stills, although it is most definitely unnerving, but it proves to be unacceptable during filming. Each time I retract the zoom during filming - my audio picks up the squeak. To compound the issue, since the squeak occurs directly next to the camera body/microphone, it amplifies the sound.

I can not shoot acceptable video with this lens in it's current state and therefore; I can not accept your response that this squeak is 'normal.'

I have owned numerous Canon lenses, none of which have ever exhibited a squeak, even after 10 yrs of rigorious use under adverse conditions. I have subsequently owned many brand new canon lenses, none of which ever exhibited a squeak of any kind.

Canon has continually made top tier products and stood behind them with top tier service - I sincerely hope that you will continue to do so.

There is a problem with this lens - I trust that you will address it.

Thank you for your time,

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 04:02:51 PM »

Surely I can't be the only one thinking that you are giving new meaning to the term "lens p0rn".   :o

Nice response to Canon, hope they step up. Good luck!
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

mshaw

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 04:24:08 PM »

Surely I can't be the only one thinking that you are giving new meaning to the term "lens p0rn".   :o

HA! Thats what my wife said after I had posted it - too late now I told her. My mind was other places, but there is something eh… unique... going on there.  ???

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 04:24:08 PM »

takesome1

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 04:36:08 PM »

Well yes I thought it.
But I didn't want to be the one to point it out. :o

duydaniel

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 04:47:40 PM »
  The sound comes from the dust and weather seals inside the lens moving against the lens barrel.

It was my thought that your barrel was dirty. Dirty seals.

But I wouldn't accept this response from Canon. Dust inside the lens isn't acceptable if it is new.
Tell them to clean the lens.

No I think you misunderstood Canon's response. They meant the "Dirt and weather seal" caused this, not "dirt inside weather seal" caused this.

Back to the OP, I think the squeak that comes right before the lens is fully retracted indicating something pressuring onto the barrel to "fully close" the lens from moisture

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 04:47:40 PM »