October 22, 2014, 03:21:19 AM

Poll

Is the noise coming from this 24-70 2.8 USM II normal?!

Yes
4 (17.4%)
No
15 (65.2%)
It's a normal mechanical noise - nothing to be worried about (What Canon tells me)
4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Lens Squeak - 24-70 2.8 USM II - Is this Normal?  (Read 7788 times)

bobby samat

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Bobby Samat Photography
Re: Lens Squeak - 24-70 2.8 USM II - Is this Normal?
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 11:32:41 PM »
no squeak on mine.  i zoomed as fast as you did in the video.  i can hear air, no squeak.

it's a bummer to find out that yours is making a noise.  it sounds like canon isn't going to help you and it's unfortunate to hear their ultimate conclusion.  i've gotten to use lots of canon zooms.  none of them squeaked.  among them were zooms that extended from the lens body.

your main goal should be image quality.  as long as the lens is sharp and the pictures look good, i would be happy and try to be more tollerant of the noise.
5D3, TS-E 17mm f/4L, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 11:32:41 PM »

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 07:34:50 AM »
Threads like these, combined with the high price and lack of IS, is why I now refuse to buy this lens.

At $2200 the lens should be premium build Canon stands behind.  It should have the latest technologies.  It seems to have production problems, Canon appears to refuse to stand behind it, and it fails to have image stabilization while a competitor's lens half the price does.

It is amazing how much of a disappointment this lens is given its price tag!  If you don't mind exchanging 5x you *might* get a good one - though in the OP's case a "good one" turned into a "bad one" over time - but for the pricetag that is just too much to ask IMO, again especially lacking IS.

Let's hope Canon does a do-over with a new version of this in 2014 with IS and none of the production issues.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 07:36:22 AM by Ruined »

bobby samat

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Bobby Samat Photography
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 11:09:40 AM »
i've met four or five people with the 24-70 II over the last year and they all had nothing but praise.  none of them mentioned noises like clicking or squeaking, so i'm guessing the problem isn't as widespread as suggested.

i usually bring two bodies to shoot and the 24-70 II is almost always on one of them.  bottom line - the AF is reliable and the pictures are very sharp.  you can go from reasonably wide to near portrait immediately.  24-70 is a great focal length for me.

since there is supposedly a 24-70 2.8 IS coming out, then the price of the 24-70 II should keep coming down.  BH has it for 1700 right now, which is a steal.  if IS is important to you, wait.  i'm interested in seeing how much the new lens will be.

i have mixed emotions about the necessity of IS until you get a little closer to 70mm, so spending the extra for IS on a lens with this focal range isn't something i would be willing to do currently.  different story with the 70-200.

this has probably been mentioned, but if i had a newer lens that canon wasn't doing anything about, i would find a reputable lens/camera repair service and have them take a look.

anyone have an opinion as to if extreme humidity, or extreme lack of humidity, could make a zoom lens squeak? 

5D3, TS-E 17mm f/4L, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8

mshaw

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 10:40:43 PM »
So here is the latest update in the squeak that wouldn't die thread…

Earlier this week I took a video of my squeaky lens next to a brand new 24-70 at my local can shop. Zoomed them both in/out and was able to clearly show squeak vs. no squeak. I sent the lens into canon for the 3rd time and provided a link to the video. I also kindly told them again, that this was not a 'normal mechanical sound,' as neither when my lens when new(er), nor with the new 24-70 in the video was the squeak present. Moreover, I re-iterated that the squeak made video a PITA, which is a basic function of the lens. Blah blah blah… with a few tears mixed in.

Long story short, told Canon that if they can not/will not repair the lens, I do not want it back. New copy, credit, box of whitman chocolates, no matter to me - just don't want to deal with squeaky anymore and get the run around.  Don't have the time to take on evil empires like I used to. Zeiss is looking very tempting about now. Pick your poison I suppose…

I'll keep you all posted.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:53:36 PM by mshaw »

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 11:00:11 PM »
Good luck man. I'm not touching this lens until 2014, by then hope all this squeaking/clicking bs is sorted out!

fyi someone got a June build on dpr that clicks :-/

mshaw

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2013, 11:53:08 PM »
So I took one last video of my squeaky lens side by side with a new 24-70 with no squeak. I then send the video and lens into Canon. Received the lens back today - squeak still present of course. But wait it gets better!

Turns out the lens was improperly packaged - the foam spacers were reversed allowing the lens to roll around in the box all the way from VA to WA. The lens cap even popped off from all of the jostling…

I am at a loss here folks. Time to move on from my 10+ year love affair with Canon :-(

Canon 24-70 f/2.8 USM II Squeak

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2013, 12:54:29 PM »
Sorry to hear that man. I really advise you take the consumer protection steps I outlined in the post below before you give up for your own good and also the good of other consumers with this issue:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=18290.msg340286#msg340286

At least then you know you gave it your best shot and perhaps helped out others in the process.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 01:36:11 PM by Ruined »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2013, 12:54:29 PM »

mshaw

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2013, 07:26:24 PM »
Sorry to hear that man. I really advise you take the consumer protection steps I outlined in the post below before you give up for your own good and also the good of other consumers with this issue:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=18290.msg340286#msg340286

At least then you know you gave it your best shot and perhaps helped out others in the process.

I will have to head down that road. No other options left at this point. I just never thought I with have this sort of issue with Canon, but it is what it is.

I look like a crazy person on the initial youtube video image. Hope it's just my computer that stretches the image out like that - if not I apologize to everyone haha!

Invertalon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2013, 12:51:24 PM »
Sucks on the packing job. I never send any gear in with the original boxes and put like 6" of thick bubble wrap around each item. If multiple items, each is done seprately and taped together in a big mass... Then put in a box with plenty of peanuts, packing paper, etc... I figure this cushions any shock better than the box it comes with.

Canon NJ has always returned each item back just as good... Usually plenty of thick bubble wrap, tightly packed. If multiple items, they usually put them in their own boxes.

mshaw

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2013, 08:41:01 PM »
Just got the below e-mail from Canon. They said they wanted to see the lens one last time to let an 'Engineer' take a look at it. Crossing my fingers on this one. Sent it back to Canon today - 12/28/13 - will keep you all updated.

_____
Good Afternoon Mr. Shaw,

Thank you for contacting Canon regarding your concerns with your EF 24-70 lens. Your information was escalated to me for review and resolution. I regret to hear that the lens is not working as expected. In an effort to address and resolve your concerns regarding this matter, I would like opportunity to speak with you directly at your earliest convenience.

Can you please contact me at the telephone number below, Monday - Friday, 8am to 4pm EST. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Sincerely,
 ---

Executive Response Representative
Canon Customer Relations
customer@cits.canon.com
866-886-1901 ext. ---

Sabaki

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2013, 01:06:55 AM »
There was a similar post to this about 3 months back.
Turns out there was a faulty batch of 24-70's made in late 2012 that had this issue. If I remember correctly and I may be wrong, the squeak was a a result of those electronic ribbons being housed incorrectly. I was also of opinion that those ribbons would wear out quickly due to the constant rubbing.

I say fight my friend. You cannot spend $2000 on a defective item only to be turned away by manufacturers who refuse to do the right thing.

Consumer protection or a civil case. I would.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:37:34 AM by Sabaki »
Canon 500D | 100mmL f/2.8 IS Macro | 24-70mmL f/2.8 mk II | 70-200mmL IS f/4.0 | 400mmL f/5.6 | 50mm f/1.8 | EF-S 10-22mm | Canon 600 RT |

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2013, 05:45:57 AM »
I opened my box to check for the production series number, batch number, can't find anything that states those numbers. Maybe it's different in Europe. Mine is a 2012 edition with the old style lens cap, I had it swapped due to the ticking sound, this one however works perfect. I wonder if there are only the early ones that work and all the latest comes now with both squeak and tick.

It's epic fail from Canon not to address the issue and replace yours and other peoples lenses directly , instead of keep wearing people out by 5-6 replacements through their dealers, it's sickening....
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2013, 08:23:34 AM »
I opened my box to check for the production series number, batch number, can't find anything that states those numbers. Maybe it's different in Europe.

The '032' etc numbers people are talking about the beginning of the serial number. It's on the lens itself, the warranty card, and printed on the box (the last set of digits under the bar code - meaning it's often of the vendor invoice, too.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Lens-Aging.aspx

Mine is (951) meaning Oct 2012, came with the old side-pinch cap, and is optically and mechanically perfect.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2013, 08:23:34 AM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2013, 08:55:26 AM »
I opened my box to check for the production series number, batch number, can't find anything that states those numbers. Maybe it's different in Europe.

The '032' etc numbers people are talking about the beginning of the serial number. It's on the lens itself, the warranty card, and printed on the box (the last set of digits under the bar code - meaning it's often of the vendor invoice, too.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Lens-Aging.aspx

Mine is (951) meaning Oct 2012, came with the old side-pinch cap, and is optically and mechanically perfect.

Thanks! Mine is "940" making it a September 2012, if I read it right. A classic ! ;D
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

mshaw

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2014, 03:21:10 PM »
Update. Spoke with Canon on 1/7/14. Per the engineers - 'the noise did not occur under normal operating circumstances nor was the squeak able to be recorded on any audio equipment.' Lens will be shipped back with a smile from VA.

My last recourse would be to record some audio of the squeak on my 5D3 and send it back in yet again - but for what? This would be its 5th trip in if I'm remembering correctly!

I give up - Canon has wore me down. Tired of the constant back and forth and being down a lens. I'll just take a hit and sell old squeaky…It almost lasted a year haha! Im seeing Zeiss in my future. Very dissatisfied with all things Canon, but looking forward to the great things I've been hearing about Zeiss.

I miss manual focus primes... I know they won't squeak  :P

Thanks for following my story friends and I hope you have better luck than I!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2014, 03:21:10 PM »