April 16, 2014, 09:57:07 PM

Author Topic: Retro gone wrong? dpr first impressions and test shots, Nikon DF  (Read 3920 times)

EchoLocation

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Retro gone wrong? dpr first impressions and test shots, Nikon DF
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 12:56:26 AM »
I found the pre-announcement teaser videos very enticing.  But as soon as I saw a picture of the real thing, my interest dropped to zero.  I do not know who would buy that camera at that price.

+1
This camera is a joke. It's ugly.... way too big and despite being lighter and smaller than almost all DSLR's, looks like a brick.
While it is retro, it is certainly not retro done right.
As people have noted earlier, it should be much more beneficial to manual focusing and the price should be more in line with the features.
NOT giving us video does not make we want to pay out an extra 800 dollars over the D610.
Additionally, while the knobs are nice looking, I believe that modern DSLR controls are easier to use and better ergonomically.
Also, while the pre announcement marketing was great, it built up expectations to high for what the product was actually delivering.
This was a major failure by Nikon.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 12:56:26 AM »

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 03:58:18 AM »
Although I like the look of it, I prefer the modern interface.
For example: I would miss the exposure +/- on the big wheel on the back.

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 04:01:26 AM »
It's not that there's a problem with the camera - I think many people would consider owning one.  But the pricing is wrong.  It's the same price as the D800.  And for most purposes the D800 is a better camera.  Not sure how it is going sale-wise.  They need to drop the price to around $2k or do a quick revision and add the D800 sensor and some better manual focusing aids - eg focus peaking, split prism etc.

I don't buy cameras as a fashion statement, but as tools to get a job done.  There seems to be little need for the DF in that regard, its for those with lots of money to burn that want a toy to show off.
Logically, I agree, which is why I feel nearly everyone will choose a D800 over a DF at the same price.  But if I'm choosing between two essentially identical things, I'll go with the better looking one every time.  I'm happy to give Nikon some credit for having the guts to produce soemthing that isn't a generic black lump.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

Rienzphotoz

• 1D X
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 04:48:26 AM »
I don't buy cameras as a fashion statement, but as tools to get a job done.  There seems to be little need for the DF in that regard, its for those with lots of money to burn that want a toy to show off.
I don't mind a bit of "show off" is at work, but not at the price point Nikon has decided to sell this camera with limited features.
Canon 5DMK3 70D G1X | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 24-70OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | Metabones EF adapter | GoPro Black 3+ | DJI Quadcopter | Manfrotto+Gorilap

sagittariansrock

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 04:57:32 AM »
And for most purposes the D800 is a better camera.

I would say, for all purposes, D800 is a better camera, no?

But if I'm choosing between two essentially identical things, I'll go with the better looking one every time. 

I'm sure everyone will. Having said that, I personally feel D800 is better looking (or most cameras that look either modern or retro- but not both at the same time). However, if form comes at the cost of function, that is a step backward. No two ways about it.
Never sarcastic, just misinterpreted sometimes.

EOS 5DIII | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 135mm f/2 L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 2x III | 600-EX-RT | 2x YN-622c

Jay H

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 06:55:31 AM »
I agree with all of the negative opinions listed above and elsewhere, except for the objections to the overall thickness - looks like a brick - etc.

To make the Df more svelte they would have to abandon all previous Nikon lenses, you know, like Canon did back when they went digital.

I do not need the size, weight or FPS of a D4. I'm getting a smaller, lighter, slower camera with the same sensor for half price.

zlatko

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 09:40:44 AM »
If I were a Nikon user, the Df might appeal to me as a D700 replacement.  It's going to be a high quality image maker with a D4 sensor.  But the retro aspect of the design has no particular appeal for me — even though my first cameras were the Nikon FM and FE. 

I would not care to see an AE-1 inspired Canon DSLR as that was not a particularly elegant design in the film days.  However, I do appreciate efforts to make full-frame cameras smaller and lighter.  The 6D is a definite step in the right direction — smaller and lighter.  It doesn't need retro-style ISO and shutter speed dials like the Df.  EOS cameras already have excellent ISO and shutter speed dials.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 09:40:44 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 11:06:47 AM »
It's not that there's a problem with the camera - I think many people would consider owning one.  But the pricing is wrong.  It's the same price as the D800.  And for most purposes the D800 is a better camera.  Not sure how it is going sale-wise.  They need to drop the price to around $2k or do a quick revision and add the D800 sensor and some better manual focusing aids - eg focus peaking, split prism etc.

Logically, I agree, which is why I feel nearly everyone will choose a D800 over a DF at the same price.  But if I'm choosing between two essentially identical things, I'll go with the better looking one every time.  I'm happy to give Nikon some credit for having the guts to produce soemthing that isn't a generic black lump.

Agree.

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »
Had a play with one a couple of days ago. It's big! Not my idea of a travel camera, the X100s fits the bill far better there.

It was in the cabinet next to a D800 and I couldn't help but think, for the same price, I'd rather have one of those.

The sales guy made the best defence of the Df with the point that it's the only way to get a D4 sensor for half the price.
Apparently, DxO have tested it and say it's of the highest standard.

Use-wise, I found it didn't focus particularly quick with the kit 50mm, and the dials were not the easiest to work. You certainly would  need to take it away from your eye to change a lot of the settings.

I'm really not sure about this camera, it just seems to be a pretty camera with only the sensor to make it worth considering for a serious photographer. Especially for all that money.

If Nikon were the only company around, I'd have a D800 and wouldn't even consider the Df.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

Rienzphotoz

• 1D X
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 10:38:38 AM »
If Nikon were the only company around, I'd have a D800 and wouldn't even consider the Df.
+! ... I cannot understand Nikon's logic with the pricing of this camera, so I bought the D610 instead ... its a lot more versatile with far more advanced features than the Df.
Canon 5DMK3 70D G1X | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 24-70OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | Metabones EF adapter | GoPro Black 3+ | DJI Quadcopter | Manfrotto+Gorilap

rpiotr01

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 12:59:38 PM »
DPR has shots of it next to an old F1 body and can't believe how bulky this thing looks.

Fleetie

• EOS M2
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 12:06:53 AM »
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-df/6

Fuji seems to be on the right track with retro design.  Can't wait for ff x series.
Df is too bulky with too many buttons.

In fact it looks like it could be painful in use. Big, heavy, bulky and look at that grip....  :-\

It's not 'retro' design but 'reverse' design (reverse as in backward).

"retrograde".

Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 12:06:53 AM »