I am not interested in this constant regurgitation of theoretical tech mumbo jumbo. It has no immediate practical relevance to
Photographers are interested in the images they can capture using the gear available today.True dat. And also how to budget for their future gear purchases.
Today's situation is simple and clear to me:
- Currently Nikon D800/E and Sony A7R have way more resolution at all ISO settings than any Canon EOS camera. This is usefuly in many images and shooting contexts. :-)
- D800/E + A7R have way more DR at the most frequently used low ISO settings. This is useful in many images and shooting contexts. :-)
- D800/E and A7R images have not more noise but very slightly less DR at ISO settings 3200 and 6400 compared to any Canon EOS currently on the market (including 5D III and 1Dx). In practice it is a wash.
- And from ISO 12800 upwards - if one ever needs it - IQ is basically a tie between Nikon D4 and 1Dx
None of which means anything if:
- You need AF speed/accuracy more than IQ/DR
- Your budget does not allow you to switch from your current gear collection
- Your shooting style does not depend on these qualitative differences
Canon is lagging behind Nikon/Sony in sensor capability and
shouldand I want them to do everything they can to close the gap as soon as possible to accommodate my preferences.
shouldwould not rely much longer solelyon other strengths of their eco-system (mainly: UI and lenses), sinceif this is awere high risk strategy. After all, to most photographersme, image quality is the single most important and central feature of any image capturing device, and I feel that I'm unable to take satisfactory photos with a current model Canon. :-)
Therefore I would like a 5D IVFTFY
shouldto[/b] have significantly higher resolution and significantly better DR compared to 5D III sensor at ISOs 100, 200 and 400. Plus some further improvements in IQ at higher ISO settings (if possible in addition to low ISO improvements). Plus of course, all the other features needed to make it 100% competitivetechnically superior and lower-priced than all other competing models in 2014/15.