December 17, 2014, 06:26:45 PM

Author Topic: "Two New FF Bodies in 2014" - if 5DM4, would you jump in?  (Read 12622 times)

mlc_dave

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: "Two New FF Bodies in 2014" - if 5DM4, would you jump in?
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »
I came from the Nikon side with a D300. I wanted to go FF but I didn't want/need 30+ MP so I jumped on a 2012 Holiday bundle on the 5DMIII + 24-105. I love this thing.

Now while I enjoy my 5DMIII and it's increased resolution there are things that were worse than my old D300. That said I can agree that with a 5DMIV I'd love to see:

1. DR - I could bump my shadows up +1-1.5 in LR and still retain detail. With my 5DMIII I generally try not to bump up shadows because it immediately causes banding/visual garbage which I have to later filter out.

2. As others have mentioned I miss illuminated AF points in dark settings. Please make this happen Canon.

3. Able to program DOF button to not just AI Servo but AI + Zone AF. This would save steps switching from stationary targets to things like precessions at weddings. (Maybe you can do this, I haven't found out how?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2013, 11:54:16 AM »
Or people like me that care about DR and IQ just haven't bought a 5D3 because it doesn't add any value over the 5D2 ...

People like you...who are in the minority.   ::)

And you know this because...?

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2013, 11:57:25 AM »

Or people like me that care about DR and IQ just haven't bought a 5D3 because it doesn't add any value over the 5D2 ...

Umm...I guess 61points AF system doesn't mean anything ::)

Exactly right.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2013, 12:02:36 PM »

Because Nikon/Sony sensors have had better low ISO DR than Canon sensors for several years/camera generations now, and Canon continued to outsell Nikon during those years...and is still doing so today.  Clearly, the majority of consumers are making buying decisions where low ISO DR isn't the priority.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2013, 12:15:53 PM »

Because Nikon/Sony sensors have had better low ISO DR than Canon sensors for several years/camera generations now, and Canon continued to outsell Nikon during those years...and is still doing so today.  Clearly, the majority of consumers are making buying decisions where low ISO DR isn't the priority.

For a scientist, you either have very poor English comprehension skills or you just like to troll because you and I both know that your paragraph above has nothing to do with what I said to which you said I was in the minority.

bitm2007

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2013, 12:31:38 PM »
what would it take to make you grab one immediately?

A competitively priced full frame DSLR that's truly aimed at landscape photographers would be great

35+ MP
Electronic Viewfinder
ISO 50-25600
Better DR than 5D3

To keep costs down

No Video
Basic AF/MF
3 FPS

Dick

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2013, 12:34:34 PM »
I guess the main issues with 5D3 (for me) are the poor DR and the unreliable focusing.

How much dynamic range do you need and at what ISO do you need it?

DR drops off as ISO is increased and Canon's approach has been to offer good high-ISO bodies. If you shoot primarily in a studio environment (where you can control the light and always shoot in low ISO) then it makes sense to use a camera that has better DR, but in general photography and real-world scenarios you often have to shoot in less than ideal light.

I don't really need better high ISO performance. Lifting shadows could work better for low ISO shots. The D800 works nicely with bright backgrounds, whereas with 5D3 you choose to get the background or the subjects in front of it.
EOS 5D Mark III + 8-15L + some boring L lenses + a 35mm Sigma...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2013, 12:34:34 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2013, 12:56:41 PM »
I don't really need better high ISO performance. Lifting shadows could work better for low ISO shots. The D800 works nicely with bright backgrounds, whereas with 5D3 you choose to get the background or the subjects in front of it.

... or use Magic Lantern's dual_iso module to lift the dr of iso 100 to 14ev+ which solves exactly the situation you described.

Gino

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2013, 01:17:04 PM »

... or use Magic Lantern's dual_iso module to lift the dr of iso 100 to 14ev+ which solves exactly the situation you described.

Don't you risk damaging the sensor using Magic Lanter's dual_iso module? Here is the warning that is stated:

Warning
This code changes low-level sensor parameters. In the technical doc you can see how this method messes with the feedback loop for optical black, for example. Therefore, it's safe to assume it can fry the sensor or do other nasty things. My 5D3 is still alive after roughly one week of playing with this, but that's not a guarantee.

We don't pay for repairs. Use it at your own risk.

With the large R&D budget that Canon has, I see no reason why Canon can't just produce a better sensor that produces 14+ EV of DR, so we get the best of both worlds; high ISO performance for lowlight conditions, like wedding photography, and higher DR at lower ISO for landscape photography.

And yes, I'm willing to pay a premium if Canon can deliver a 5D MkIV with a sensor that can deliver strong high ISO performance with a much improved DR at lower ISO...cost is only an issue in the absence of value!
Canon 1DX & 5D MK III | 100-400L II | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 70-300L | 24-105L | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 50 f/1.4 | 40 f/2.8 STM Pancake | Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG HSM | Speedlite 600EX-RT

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2013, 01:51:08 PM »
I think owners of the 5DIII that would consider "upgrading" to an imaginary 5D4 are probably people with really deep pockets and lots of disposable income- so more power to you! As a professional artist I try to keep gear expenses to necessity. I can't see how dropping another 3k+ (If I owned a 5D3) would be a wise move.

And since Canon has released 3 relatively new FF bodies in recent years (1DX, 5D3 and 6D), I really can't see how it would make much sense for them to release any new bodies with incremental upgrades.

Who would they be targeting with this new camera? I can only see a need for a high mega pixel camera in Canon's lineup.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2013, 01:58:21 PM »

For a scientist, you either have very poor English comprehension skills or you just like to troll because you and I both know that your paragraph above has nothing to do with what I said to which you said I was in the minority.

In fact, you either have very poor metacognition or you just like to insult people (or perhaps both).

My statement has quite a bit to do with yours, considering your entire statement and not just the first clause.  I'd say a large majority of dSLR users care about IQ.  I'd also say that a majority of dSLR users care about DR (at least, a majority of those who know what DR is...but frankly, that's probably a minority of dSLR users). 

But...you state that since the 5DIII does not improve on the (low ISO) IQ or (low ISO) DR of the 5DII (which are already very good, just not the best available), it adds no value.  Since the 5DIII improves upon the 5DII in nearly every other way (AF, fps, build, card slots, etc.), that indicates that the only aspect of camera performance you care about is low ISO IQ/DR, and that puts you squarely in the minority. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Gino

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2013, 02:44:04 PM »
I think owners of the 5DIII that would consider "upgrading" to an imaginary 5D4 are probably people with really deep pockets and lots of disposable income- so more power to you! As a professional artist I try to keep gear expenses to necessity. I can't see how dropping another 3k+ (If I owned a 5D3) would be a wise move.

And since Canon has released 3 relatively new FF bodies in recent years (1DX, 5D3 and 6D), I really can't see how it would make much sense for them to release any new bodies with incremental upgrades.

Who would they be targeting with this new camera? I can only see a need for a high mega pixel camera in Canon's lineup.

Wouldn't you agree, people with deep pockets, and a lot of disposable income, are usually a very good demographic to market to???...I'm just saying!  Besides, if photographers, like yourself, are happy with their current gear, you're not going to upgrade regardless of the specs of a 5D MkIV anyway. 

Canon needs to sell camera bodies every year, so they're probably going to market to those who want the "latest and greatest" technology, and are willing to pay for it.  I'm one of those consumers.
Canon 1DX & 5D MK III | 100-400L II | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 70-300L | 24-105L | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 50 f/1.4 | 40 f/2.8 STM Pancake | Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG HSM | Speedlite 600EX-RT

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
Don't you risk damaging the sensor using Magic Lanter's dual_iso module? Here is the warning that is stated:

Yeah, Alex (the main ml dev) is very conservative :-) which is a good thing ...

... but he is personally on 5d3, is currently on vacation and has taken thousands of dual_iso shots w/o any problem. A large crowd of people are using it w/o problems for months, that includes me on 6D and 60D also with thousands of dual_iso shots. I'd wager to say this warning is outdated, it's from nearly half a year ago.

Not that I'm trying to forcibly convince anyone, but I wouldn't want to live w/o it anymore, its so immensely valuable for noon or sunrise/sunset shots with movement in the scene or pulling down highlights with clean shadows. The main reason Alex doesn't mark this module as mainstream stable would be that he's still fine-tuning cr2hdr, the postprocessing software that converts the dual_iso raw file to a "standard" raw with 14ev+ dr.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »

MLfan3

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2013, 03:21:28 PM »
hope the 5D4 gets 4 k video and native raw video mode , if it gets that , I will get it.

MLfan3

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2013, 03:23:16 PM »
one more thing, I would also like to get a mini 1DC, a 6D sized body with 1DC like sensor + 4k video.
something like Canon version of the Df but with quality video.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2013, 03:23:16 PM »