July 23, 2014, 06:38:23 PM

Author Topic: Contradicting Information About Canon's Camera Plans in 2014  (Read 7394 times)

Robert Welch

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Contradicting Information About Canon's Camera Plans in 2014
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2013, 12:57:39 AM »
The 5D release cycle looks to be between 3-4 years, so the idea Canon will be releasing a 5DmkiV next year seems premature. Considering the 5DmkIII, along with the 6D, are selling quite well (according to Amazon's best selling DSLR list), it would seem more likely Canon will continue milking the profits from this camera for 1-2 more years at least.

The D800 and D610 would be Nikon's best selling full frame cameras, and while they don't seem be be selling as well as the Canon FF models, they are doing quite well themselves. So I would seem off base to call them a flop. I know a lot of D800 owners personally, many who shot with D3/D3s/D4 have it as an extra body for times when more resolution is desirable. I've also known many who have owned one and sold it, so retention after the original sale may be a problem with the camera. It is a unique camera, and either it meets your needs or it doesn't. If it meets your needs, then there is nothing else that will. The Df is an interesting model, though. It already seems to list high on the best seller list. It will be interesting to see if it stays there. It's got a fantastic sensor, and many unique features.

But Nikon's line up seems a bit fractured, I think they have missed the boat on making a singularly popular camera, like Canon has with the 5DmkIII and even with the 6D. What the demand for a higher MP camera from Canon is really would be a hard question to answer. Maybe Canon hasn't found the market would be strong enough to support such a camera from them. Or maybe they are still looking to get some updates to more of their lenses in place to support a super high MP camera. It has been reported that next year is the year of new lenses from Canon. That would make sense as there isn't much of a need for a new camera in the lineup other than a high end, high MP model. And to release such a camera before there were sufficient lenses to really take advantage of the added resolution would probably hurt sales ultimately. There is probably need for improved wide angle zoom lens, something to compete with Nikon's 14-24. If Canon does release a high MP camera, the current WA lenses are not likely up to par to do such a camera justice. The 24-70 & 70-200 mkII models are certainly good enough, but the 16-35 or any other wide is in desperate need of improvement to bring them up to the same level as those lenses. The line of newer prime IS lenses could be expanded to include a 50mm, and maybe a few more, like the 85/100/135, and maybe the 20mm too, to round out the lineup.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2013, 12:57:39 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2013, 03:54:21 AM »
The 5D release cycle looks to be between 3-4 years, so the idea Canon will be releasing a 5DmkiV next year seems premature. Considering the 5DmkIII, along with the 6D, are selling quite well (according to Amazon's best selling DSLR list), it would seem more likely Canon will continue milking the profits from this camera for 1-2 more years at least.

The one reason I can think of for early 5d3/6d updates is that Canon wants to push their dual pixel af tech as a company trademark to all available camera segments, if paired with a fast digic6 it's the one superior piece of technology Canon has to offer vs. the usual suspects.

Nikon has stepped ahead with d600->d610, so maybe Canon feels legitimized for two minor upgrades adding this better lv af  and then some (wifi, red dots in servo and faster sd for 5d3, a bit better af for 6d)?

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2013, 11:16:19 AM »
Have the cameras not increased in pixels over the years? An increase in resolution is inevitable. Why do we fear that?

Does higher resolution not translate into better IQ? Why the resistance??

Unless you go to a larger sensor, higher resolution means smaller pixels.  Based on many things I have read, smaller pixels often means a decrease in image quality at the pixel level.  The compensation is that you have more pixels to try and compensate for that.  I am not a pro, so keep that in mind, but I was an original Canon Digital Rebel owner (6 MP).  At least twice over the years I felt that the newer Canon Rebels with more MP must be better, so I purchased and returned the 14 MP model, and then a few years later I rented and wasn't particularly impressed with the 18 MP model.  At the level of detail I got on my monitor (where I normally view my pics) or printing up to 8 x 10 prints, the 6 MP camera was just fine.  I did not do any in depth analysis, but more megapixels didn't improve things enough (or at all) in terms of IQ for me to replace my 6 MP 300D.  Only recently did my 300D finally begin to have problems, so I replaced it with the 6D.  Because of the larger sensor, the pixel size is almost the same as it was with my 300D - and the image quality is considerably better.  So, at least based on my amateur experience, jamming more pixels into the same size sensor doesn't so as much in terms of improving IQ as would would expect.   

Good point, dak723. I am with you concerning the MP count. I just hope Canon don't increase it neither on a new 5D nor on the 6D. All I need is a great allround cam as the 5D3 is for me. Coming from the 30D it is all I ever need as an amateur. If Canon manages to improve IQ in the higher ISOs as well (25k, 51k) and keep the MPs at about the same amount as today, I might be a happy 5DV buyer about 6 to 7 years from now.
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2013, 03:21:47 PM »

The D800 and D610 would be Nikon's best selling full frame cameras, and while they don't seem be be selling as well as the Canon FF models, they are doing quite well themselves. So I would seem off base to call them a flop. I know a lot of D800 owners personally, many who shot with D3/D3s/D4 have it as an extra body for times when more resolution is desirable. I've also known many who have owned one and sold it, so retention after the original sale may be a problem with the camera. It is a unique camera, and either it meets your needs or it doesn't. If it meets your needs, then there is nothing else that will. The Df is an interesting model, though. It already seems to list high on the best seller list. It will be interesting to see if it stays there. It's got a fantastic sensor, and many unique features.

But Nikon's line up seems a bit fractured, I think they have missed the boat on making a singularly popular camera, like Canon has with the 5DmkIII and even with the 6D. What the demand for a higher MP camera from Canon is really would be a hard question to answer. Maybe Canon hasn't found the market would be strong enough to support such a camera from them. Or maybe they are still looking to get some updates to more of their lenses in place to support a super high MP camera. It has been reported that next year is the year of new lenses from Canon. That would make sense as there isn't much of a need for a new camera in the lineup other than a high end, high MP model. And to release such a camera before there were sufficient lenses to really take advantage of the added resolution would probably hurt sales ultimately. There is probably need for improved wide angle zoom lens, something to compete with Nikon's 14-24. If Canon does release a high MP camera, the current WA lenses are not likely up to par to do such a camera justice. The 24-70 & 70-200 mkII models are certainly good enough, but the 16-35 or any other wide is in desperate need of improvement to bring them up to the same level as those lenses. The line of newer prime IS lenses could be expanded to include a 50mm, and maybe a few more, like the 85/100/135, and maybe the 20mm too, to round out the lineup.

I do remember seeing a CR post a while back about the issues with the big canon MP -- if the rumor/article is true, they were saying it was delayed due to battery issues (the increased processor needs led to heavy battery drain).   I had read that here, not sure how far back that rumor/article was though - and it's not like it was a report from canon r&d or anything...so it may be true, may not be true.  Either way, if it is true, I'd rather wait and have them get it right when they do release it rather than rush it out with battery issues
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2013, 03:21:47 PM »