December 20, 2014, 07:09:59 PM

Author Topic: Contradicting Information About Canon's Camera Plans in 2014  (Read 8974 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Contradicting Information About Canon's Camera Plans in 2014
« on: November 30, 2013, 11:20:04 AM »

No big megapixel camera?

NL has posted that a known source has told them that there would be no big megapixel camera coming in 2014. There will be 2 new pro level cameras announced, however the EOS-1 line would remain unified.

One of the new models (1D X replacement?) would see a “modest bump” in resolution and have a split pixel sensor. It would have a slight body shape change which would be the same as a new EOS-1D C camera. The full frame lineup would remain EOS-1D X/EOS-1D C/EOS 5D/EOS 6D.

CR’s Take

I’m definitely not sold on this idea, too many mentions of large megapixel cameras in testing for something not to come. With Sony and Nikon moving beyond 35mp, it’s going to be important for Canon to have some kind of studio solution if they’re not going into the medium format segment.

Source: [NL]

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Contradicting Information About Canon's Camera Plans in 2014
« on: November 30, 2013, 11:20:04 AM »

Lichtgestalt

Re: Contradicting Information About Canon's Camera Plans in 2014
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 11:30:32 AM »
well that doesn´t mean it comes in 2014.

could be announced at photokina and available in early 2015.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 11:47:34 AM »
I would have a good laugh if "dual-pixel" became "quad-pixel" and one had the ability to record images with either the 4 sub-pixels binned together or read separately.... and EVERY Canon from that point on became high-megapixel cameras....

Remember when 18 Megapixels was high? Remember when 10 was high? Nothing says that 40 will not become the new normal.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 12:04:29 PM »
Why would Canon feel compelled to rush into the high megapixel market when it's pretty much been a flop for Nikon and Sony?
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 12:10:46 PM »
I think that Canon is concentrating on getting the Dual Pixel Technology advanced and into as many cameras as possible.  The processing power likely goes up exponentially as more pixels are added, and more powerful processors generate more heat and use up battery life, so we will not see high MP bodies with Dual Pixel Technology quite yet.

That's likely what has put a high mp camera on the shelf for now.

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 01:08:35 PM »
Next year is a Photokina year and it would be very surprising if Canon doesn't have anything to announce for the show.

By the look of things, the 5DIII/6D split of the 5D-series was somewhat rushed - without a unified vision/strategy behind it.
So, my expectation is that Canon will be working to address that.

The most likely candidate for Photokina announcement is the 5DIV, IMO.
Probably with more megapixels (~30?) and modern amenities like WiFi and dual-pixel AF.

Canon needs this update in order to keep charging $3500 for the 5D series - while leaving room for better specs in the 6D successor, which should arrive sometime in 2015.
With a properly differentiated 5DIV, the 6DII won't need to be crippled, like the 6D is.
So, it should be a pretty compelling offering, without stepping on the 5DIV's toes.

In parallel, Canon will be definitely developing a high-resolution sensor that will be used for 4K video and high-resolution stills.
I can't tell which camera will have this sensor, though.

I don't see the 1DX/1DC getting updated at lest until 2016.
At the same time, I don't see Canon waiting that long without a high-resolution camera either.
So, not sure what they will do at the end.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 01:12:56 PM by x-vision »

kpk1

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 01:48:10 PM »
From my point of view the 1Ds never had a succesor. The 1D X is the FF succesor to the 1D4 and that's all.
The highest megapixel camera are the 5D3 and the 1Ds. Canon will come with something.
The 5D line should be more wise since I believe this is their best seller FF for the pros. 5D4 needs new tech for more dynamic range and ISO speeds. It is what I'm looking for the next 5D
5D2, Sigy 35/1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 01:48:10 PM »

JimKarczewski

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 02:20:46 PM »
It would piss me off more if all they did to the next 1Dx was to add a dual pixel sensor.  I mean, you can send in your canon Video camera (C-100 I believe) to have it upgraded, they should offer that option to 1Dx owners as well.  If that's all they did, it would be a stupid move on their part and for those that do use the video option on occasion, a real pisser.

I mean, the 1Dx already has dual digic 5's with a Digic 4 for AF/Color focusing..  So you think they could just swap out the sensor like the C-100?  Who knows..

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 04:34:20 PM »
It would piss me off more if all they did to the next 1Dx was to add a dual pixel sensor.  I mean, you can send in your canon Video camera (C-100 I believe) to have it upgraded, they should offer that option to 1Dx owners as well.  If that's all they did, it would be a stupid move on their part and for those that do use the video option on occasion, a real pisser.

I mean, the 1Dx already has dual digic 5's with a Digic 4 for AF/Color focusing..  So you think they could just swap out the sensor like the C-100?  Who knows..

The C-100 already had a dual-pixel sensor in it.... the upgrade is for other electronics, the sensor is left untouched.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 05:14:13 PM »

The C-100 already had a dual-pixel sensor in it.... the upgrade is for other electronics, the sensor is left untouched.....

If you own a 1Dx and "all" they did was add dual pixel technology to the next generation why would you care? If you don't feel you want or need the feature, then you're good to go for at least another generation. That would make me happy if I were a 1Dx owner, not make me pout.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 07:36:23 PM »
"One of the new models (1D X replacement?) would see a “modest bump” in resolution and have a split pixel sensor."

As a working pro shooting with 1Ds MkIII's that is all I want, I even have the money set aside. I don't know one single long time 1Ds MkIII owner who bought into 1Dx's, several have gone the 5D MkIII route as their need to invest in new equipment has overtaken the Canon release calendar for a true 1Ds MkIII replacement. Besides, if you look at the 1D series, not the 1Ds series, the 1Dx is getting to a replacement/development announcement next year anyway even without the pent up demand from 1Ds MkIII users.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 08:49:23 PM »
I do find it a bit worrisome that it has been literally years and years since Canon has even bothered to mention the word DR. I wonder if they don't have all their eggs in more MP and dual-pixel AF and who cares about DR. DR would probably cost more outlay, the other stuff they can get away with on ancient fabs I guess (although at some point , especially at APS-C if they go much higher in MP you'd think a new fab would help too).

t.linn

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • You Must Have A Really Nice Camera
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 10:30:20 PM »
I do find it a bit worrisome that it has been literally years and years since Canon has even bothered to mention the word DR. I wonder if they don't have all their eggs in more MP and dual-pixel AF and who cares about DR. DR would probably cost more outlay, the other stuff they can get away with on ancient fabs...

The very fact that Canon is still using decade old sensor tech has left me skeptical about a high MP Canon body.  Sure they could do it but I can't believe the IQ would be competitive with the Sony sensors.  I find myself wondering if that isn't the reason these supposed high MP bodies never materialize into actual products.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 10:30:20 PM »

Lawliet

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 11:29:29 PM »
It would piss me off more if all they did to the next 1Dx was to add a dual pixel sensor.  I mean, you can send in your canon Video camera (C-100 I believe) to have it upgraded, they should offer that option to 1Dx owners as well.

That might not be that easy - the C100/300 use a 8MP sensor to record a 2MP image - without a Bayer-matrix you end up with 6MP aquiring the cleanest HD signal possible while 2MP do nothing. The latter could simply have gotten the half shaded microlenses everybody else in the industry is using.
You'd have to turn the 1Dx into a 4,5MP Foveon-alike, I don't see that much of an audience for that. Esp. considering the C100's price.

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 01:03:06 AM »
Upgrade the 1DX?  I just don't see it.  Though the price would drop on the original and could make a nice intermediary step between the 7D MKII and 1DX MKII

I can't imagine Canon waiting another year to release their big MP...  They'll keep bleeding sales to the Nikon D800...
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 01:03:06 AM »