October 20, 2014, 10:17:14 PM

Author Topic: Tripod for someone who's never used one?  (Read 7634 times)

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
Re: Tripod for someone who's never used one?
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2014, 05:05:25 AM »
Thought I'd post what I ended up getting, after considering all the fine advice:

RRS BH-40, with lever release and panning clamp, an RSS L plate, and for the tripod legs I decided to go with carbon fiber, but compromised on the price, since I got the expensive ball head, and went with Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 instead of Gitzo or RSS.

Even though my heaviest lens is only a 24-105mm, I thought I'd go with the BH-40 in case I get heavier lenses in the future and because I wanted the independent drag on the ball head. I went with the panning clamp so I didn't have to worry about leveling the legs first when shooting panoramas. The only thing I didn't get was the nodal slide, but I can always pick that up in the future.

Are you happy with your choices a few months out? Thinking about tripods myself and trying to learn from your research :-)

I recently bought the same combo and it's been amazing so far. The tripod isn't as light as I thought it would be but the extra heft adds some stability. 
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2014, 05:05:25 AM »

gferdinandsen

• EOS M2
  • was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2014, 06:27:51 AM »
I agree with all of the above.  Don't waste time with cheap stuff.  A tripod needs to hold up over time, be transportable, and most important, keep the camera stable during the shoot.

There are different ways to extend the legs (latches, rings and the like).  Next you have 3 or 4 segments, with more segments usually less stable, but smaller when collapsed.  You need to consider how tall you are and how tall you need the tripod to be.  Really Right Stuff web site has a nice chart on its front page you can look at for this.  No center column greatly enhances stability, and decreases the weight of this element.

Some tripods have a hook to hang additional weight to stabilize the unit- helpful during windy conditions.  Some either come with, or have optional "accessories" that you may later purchase.  These may not be important now, but keep an eye toward the future- like the leveling plate as mentioned by Neuro-  it may not make sense to you now, but as you expand, the ability to use these items may become essential.

I totally agree that your head should be a separate purchase.  This is a personal decision as the tripod legs.  A lot of things go into this decision.  One very important thing is the plate- Arca Swiss is my vote.  Another thing is the layout of the tightening knobs.  Be sure that they work for you, and be sure the head will carry the camera/lens load.  Play around with it for a while to be sure you like it.  I have a collection that look pretty but I hate.

I have a Manfrotto 190CXPro3 and it is a great tripod.  I am going to get a RRS TVC-33 when I get my big white lens

So, be sure that the combo is easy to carry, easy to set up, and stable.

Cheers

Scott

I have a stupid question, I have a Manfrotto 055CX3 and it came with a hook attachment; however, I'll be damned if I can figure out how/where this hook attaches to. 
1v HS, 5D3, 60 Da, 40D (IR), G1-X, 17-40L, 24-70L (Mk II), 24-105L, 70-200L (2.8 Mk 1), 24 TS-E L (Mk 1), 45 TS-E, 50 1.2L, 100 L Macro -- CPS Gold Membership

ClayStevens

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2014, 10:00:54 PM »
Also looking for my first tripod. This post is really helpful to me. Thanks for all guys. Handshake

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2014, 03:11:07 AM »
I agree with all of the above.  Don't waste time with cheap stuff.  A tripod needs to hold up over time, be transportable, and most important, keep the camera stable during the shoot.

There are different ways to extend the legs (latches, rings and the like).  Next you have 3 or 4 segments, with more segments usually less stable, but smaller when collapsed.  You need to consider how tall you are and how tall you need the tripod to be.  Really Right Stuff web site has a nice chart on its front page you can look at for this.  No center column greatly enhances stability, and decreases the weight of this element.

Some tripods have a hook to hang additional weight to stabilize the unit- helpful during windy conditions.  Some either come with, or have optional "accessories" that you may later purchase.  These may not be important now, but keep an eye toward the future- like the leveling plate as mentioned by Neuro-  it may not make sense to you now, but as you expand, the ability to use these items may become essential.

I totally agree that your head should be a separate purchase.  This is a personal decision as the tripod legs.  A lot of things go into this decision.  One very important thing is the plate- Arca Swiss is my vote.  Another thing is the layout of the tightening knobs.  Be sure that they work for you, and be sure the head will carry the camera/lens load.  Play around with it for a while to be sure you like it.  I have a collection that look pretty but I hate.

I have a Manfrotto 190CXPro3 and it is a great tripod.  I am going to get a RRS TVC-33 when I get my big white lens

So, be sure that the combo is easy to carry, easy to set up, and stable.

Cheers

Scott

I have a stupid question, I have a Manfrotto 055CX3 and it came with a hook attachment; however, I'll be damned if I can figure out how/where this hook attaches to.

Not quite sure what you mean. Can you take a picture of the attachment and also one of the tripd base and center column?

gferdinandsen

• EOS M2
  • was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2014, 05:33:26 AM »
The first photo is of the center leg to the tripod; the second photo is of the hook thingee.
1v HS, 5D3, 60 Da, 40D (IR), G1-X, 17-40L, 24-70L (Mk II), 24-105L, 70-200L (2.8 Mk 1), 24 TS-E L (Mk 1), 45 TS-E, 50 1.2L, 100 L Macro -- CPS Gold Membership

Badger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2014, 07:43:58 PM »
A classic"right of passage" question! :-) This famous link doesn't seem to have been posted yet, and while getting dated, remains great for many of the general principles also mentioned in this thread: http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Thanks so much dswtan, I found that link most helpful! Also, took a bit, but finally figured out that RRS was Really Right Stuff ;)
Canon 6D, EF 70-200 f/4 L USM, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, EF 35 f/2 IS USM, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 85 f/1.8 USM, 580EX

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2014, 08:49:04 PM »
Thought I'd post what I ended up getting, after considering all the fine advice:

RRS BH-40, with lever release and panning clamp, an RSS L plate, and for the tripod legs I decided to go with carbon fiber, but compromised on the price, since I got the expensive ball head, and went with Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 instead of Gitzo or RSS.

Even though my heaviest lens is only a 24-105mm, I thought I'd go with the BH-40 in case I get heavier lenses in the future and because I wanted the independent drag on the ball head. I went with the panning clamp so I didn't have to worry about leveling the legs first when shooting panoramas. The only thing I didn't get was the nodal slide, but I can always pick that up in the future.

Are you happy with your choices a few months out? Thinking about tripods myself and trying to learn from your research :-)

I recently bought the same combo and it's been amazing so far. The tripod isn't as light as I thought it would be but the extra heft adds some stability.

The Manfrotto carbon fiber tripods are considerably heavier than their Gitzo counterparts.
@Badger: If you are going carbon fiber, I'd definitely recommend Gitzo. It's light and still very sturdy (I got the GT2541). An expensive tripod that I can carry beats a cheap tripod staying home, any day. The RRS ones don't collapse as compactly (not talking about travel tripods).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:54:22 PM by sagittariansrock »
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2014, 08:49:04 PM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2014, 10:21:36 PM »

The Manfrotto carbon fiber tripods are considerably heavier than their Gitzo counterparts.
@Badger: If you are going carbon fiber, I'd definitely recommend Gitzo. It's light and still very sturdy (I got the GT2541). An expensive tripod that I can carry beats a cheap tripod staying home, any day. The RRS ones don't collapse as compactly (not talking about travel tripods).

I was initially gonna buy the GT2531 but when I played about with it in a camera store one of the legs came off in my hand and I couldn't get it back on. Left me with a unfavorable impression (sure it was my fault but still I took it as an omen!). The metal manfrotto was good to me in the past and I was already used to the layout. And the $200 saved also helped my decision!  ;)

I don't use a tripod that often so even that combo I bought was hard to justify.

Anyway, I'm more than happy with it.

If I ever do upgrade it'll be to an all RRS setup.

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2014, 01:17:26 AM »

I was initially gonna buy the GT2531 but when I played about with it in a camera store one of the legs came off in my hand and I couldn't get it back on. Left me with a unfavorable impression (sure it was my fault but still I took it as an omen!). The metal manfrotto was good to me in the past and I was already used to the layout. And the $200 saved also helped my decision!  ;)

I don't use a tripod that often so even that combo I bought was hard to justify.

Anyway, I'm more than happy with it.

If I ever do upgrade it'll be to an all RRS setup.

LOL! I am sure I would have heeded to such an omen as well. In my case, the omen was a $ 190 (25%) discount on the GT2541.

Requirements differ for different individuals. I was upgrading from a 3001XProB (earlier version of the 190XProB) which wasn't going anywhere with me due to the weight and the length. So "upgrading" to an almost equally heavy (200 gm difference) tripod wouldn't have been worthwhile. OTOH, the 055 tripods are very highly regarded and a good buy for those who aren't so worried about portability.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2014, 01:17:26 AM »