August 30, 2014, 10:27:47 PM

Author Topic: Go-Pro-like DSLR chest strap/harness  (Read 1334 times)

sanjosedave

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Go-Pro-like DSLR chest strap/harness
« on: December 01, 2013, 01:16:59 PM »
Working on a personal project.

Need a Go-Pro-like DSLR chest strap/harness for POVERTY images; don't want a Go-Pro.

6D body

Google searches either turn up video rigs or DIY articles. Prefer something already built

Thx

canon rumors FORUM

Go-Pro-like DSLR chest strap/harness
« on: December 01, 2013, 01:16:59 PM »

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Go-Pro-like DSLR chest strap/harness
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 02:21:55 PM »
Can you explain a little more clearly what you need the harness to do?

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 06:28:36 PM »
Sorry, I'm not aware of a harness that would work like that. That's considerable weight dangling out front for anything other than a shorty forty. Seems like you would need an auto-focus camera for that application, not to mention some pretty serious image stabilization. Good luck though.

rs

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 07:24:08 PM »
POVERTY images? What's that?

Do you want stills or video? If it's stills, you need to use the shutter button, so why not just hold the camera? You can always use the neck strap? AF will be an issue; why not get a 70D with its flip out screen and DPAF? Or failing that, squat down?

If it's video you're after, DSLR's have a much narrower DoF than a GoPro. You'd need a very wide angle an exceptional video AF system to match a GoPro. I have a feeling a 70D with an 8-15 wouldn't keep up. Not to mention the sheer logistics of having that sort of weight strapped to you. It'd bounce around all over the place, winding you left right and centre unless you have a mount so tight that you can't breath.

Just get a GoPro.
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

trof2

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 08:07:19 PM »
I want to do this with a DSLR

http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/chest-mount-harness?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&gclid=CITPz92SkrsCFYUWMgodiV0AKg

If you don't mind the slightly lower shooting angle, you can stick the lens out through the fly of your pants.

sanjosedave

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 10:44:48 PM »
I want to experiment with stills and POV, thinking that Magic Lantern and its intervoltmeter would allow me to do this.

I may just use a really short camera strap, or, use a cutting board as a chest plate, sort of like yesterdays lazer tag chest targets, and ask a crafty-person to figure out a strap system

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 10:44:48 PM »