December 22, 2014, 08:06:21 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M2 Specs Revealed?  (Read 11849 times)

Maximilian

• Canon 7D MK II
  • The dark side - I've been there
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M2 Specs Revealed?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 01:04:33 PM »
There is no mention of new lenses for the system.
To me, this is the more important thing. The US system has 2 lenses right now; and if I'm gonna put an adapter on the thing, I might as well just buy an SL1 or T51 and get similar specs/pricing.

Honestly, it'd probably be smarter of them to just drop mirrorless until they are ready to commit fully. A new EOS-M that doesn't come with a tele, some more primes, etc...don't see the point
This is 100% my opinion.
A new system without new system components is not interesting.

Right now I am much more tempted to buy a SL1/100D if i want a "compact" system.
Because if I have to use EF/EF-S lenses because of the EF-M missing, then this is the better choice.
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 01:04:33 PM »

wayno

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 01:07:59 PM »
First thought: meh.

bholliman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 01:10:11 PM »
Hmm...I think it would be a real mistake for Canon to make use of their 18mp sensor...AGAIN. That thing is becoming the laughing stock of the digital photography world...it's tainted, and would be a real negative for Canon to slap the "same old sensor" into "another camera"...again.

The other specs seem piss-poor for a mirrorless camera, even an entry-level one. If nothing more than for their own reputation, I hope Canon releases something better than what this rumor indicates...

+1
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M
EF Lenses: 35mm f/2.0 IS, 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro, 135mm f/2.0L, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; EF-M Lenses: 22 f/2, 18-55
Speedlites: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

cnardo

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 01:35:43 PM »
What about the viewfinder? :-\
5D3, SL1, M1 and more lenses than I know what to do with! Been shooting w/Canon since 1985.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 01:38:40 PM »
What about the viewfinder? :-\

Looking for small body for my long glass -either the M or perhaps the SL1

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 02:04:45 PM »
There are rumours out there that Nikon is intending to do something different to their "1" series in a P7800 style body; Canon might be advised to do the same. At least they've gone for an APS-C sensor.

The real weakness of the EOS-M system is the lack of lenses. You could probably make do with EF(-S) mount telephotos on the adaptor if the AF system was up to it, as the size difference wouldn't be that great, but the whole point of removing the mirror is to make wide angle lenses more compact.

I can't see Canon bothering to launch any primes with this sort of M2, as it's too consumer orientated and Canon don't think consumers buy primes -witness the total lack of any non-macro primes for the EF-S line (I think the EF-M 22mm f/2 was a sop to the enthusiast press to try and generate some good reviews).

Proffarm

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 02:06:25 PM »
The more I'm sitting here, in my office and stewing about this the more micro 4/3rds is looking REALLY attractive to me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 02:06:25 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 02:24:26 PM »
I think it's got to be a fake rumor.

Either that or Canon may as well just fire the entire engineering department and hire a few more marketers and managers. They sure as heck will need that if they expect to push and make a success of their mirrorless efforts and marketing thinks they need to protect the 70D and such from the M2 and they saddle it with an old Rebel sensor, come on! No PDAF, etc.?? THAT is how they'd try to finally make the M line sell? And that on top of a last second delay that puts it past the holidays?? If true they obviously have decided they don't need engineers and they sure as heck will need some marketers to pull this off.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 02:27:09 PM »
why only 4.6 FPS?

other mirrorless cameras have much faster burst rates.
in fact the burst rates are one thing that i really like about mirroless cameras.

I have a p/s with a burst mode of 11.5 fps, but if you reduce the image size it will let you get away with 60fps. I have heard of other p/s that do bursts of 120fps..... 4.6 is slow.....

Yeah hopefully it is a rumor fed by some competitor trying to turn people off of the M series, because if it is for real, wow, then Canon has become even a new level of conservative and out of touch.

Proffarm

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 02:41:17 PM »
I think it's got to be a fake rumor.

Either that or Canon may as well just fire the entire engineering department and hire a few more marketers and managers. They sure as heck will need that if they expect to push and make a success of their mirrorless efforts and marketing thinks they need to protect the 70D and such from the M2 and they saddle it with an old Rebel sensor, come on! No PDAF, etc.?? THAT is how they'd try to finally make the M line sell? And that on top of a last second delay that puts it past the holidays?? If true they obviously have decided they don't need engineers and they sure as heck will need some marketers to pull this off.

I spent the holiday weekend reading about the Panasonic GX-7 and thinking, 'Oh wow, I can't WAIT until Canon shows us the M2..' I assumed that they were going to really make a concerted effort this time around and show everyone else how it's done...

Guess not, if this rumor is even slightly true.

Don't get me wrong, like I said earlier, I love my little M and it is so much fun. But having played around with it for about 5 months I now know what I really want.. And I want...more.

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 03:04:17 PM »
yeah i first misread the sensor information.
i always thought they will use the latest (best) APS-C sensor for the M2.  ::)

why only 4.6 FPS?

in fact the burst rates are one thing that i really like about mirroless cameras.

With mirrorless, you don't really need more than 2-3fps since you can't track moving subject anyway.
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2013, 03:05:23 PM »

why only 4.6 FPS?

With mirrorless, you don't really need more than 2-3fps since you can't track moving subject anyway.

DPAF can track moving subjects, and well enough for 30fps video!

infared

• 1D X
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2013, 03:18:11 PM »
Sorry ...but I just have to laugh.  No mention of a VF for the new M?
Look...I have an extensive MFT kit to complement my Canon FF Kit... I have been researching picking up an Olympus E-PL5 as a second MFT body.
1. VERY small.
2. Can be fitted with the BEST EVF out there...Olympus VF4
3. 8 frames per second
4. Incredibly extensive small, fast,  prime lens selection...(all lenses actually including zooms)
That is just a few of the bests on the M-system..and the E-PL5 is one year old...and I bet that it focuses faster than the new M??????

I am looking at all of the other manufacturers...what the hell is Canon doing in the area of innovation??????????
I think that is a really valid question at this point.
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2013, 03:18:11 PM »

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2013, 03:20:54 PM »

why only 4.6 FPS?

What is "DPAF"?
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2013, 03:25:55 PM »

why only 4.6 FPS?

What is "DPAF"?

Dual Pixel Auto Focus, introduced in the 70D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2013, 03:25:55 PM »