October 20, 2014, 05:41:03 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M2 Specs Revealed?  (Read 10450 times)

Lichtgestalt

Re: Canon EOS M2 Specs Revealed?
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 03:31:09 PM »
Sorry ...but I just have to laugh.  No mention of a VF for the new M?
Look...I have an extensive MFT kit to complement my Canon FF Kit... I have been researching picking up an Olympus E-PL5 as a second MFT body.
1. VERY small.
2. Can be fitted with the BEST EVF out there...Olympus VF4
3. 8 frames per second
4. Incredibly extensive small, fast,  prime lens selection...(all lenses actually including zooms)
That is just a few of the bests on the M-system..and the E-PL5 is one year old...and I bet that it focuses faster than the new M??????

I am looking at all of the other manufacturers...what the hell is Canon doing in the area of innovation??????????
I think that is a really valid question at this point.

you do realize it´s just a rumor yet?
like my latest rumor.... canon is only making popcorn from 2015 onwards.

why not getting your heartattack when the specs are really out?   ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 03:31:09 PM »

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2013, 03:33:05 PM »
If this rumor is true, I am afraid that it makes sense to question I raised at the topic below: ???

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=18358.0

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 03:49:55 PM »
If this rumor is true, I think it's evidence of Canon beginning to make mirrorless the new point-and-shoot market.

As camera phones devour the point-and-shoot market, Canon needs a new consumer-level bread-and-butter line that's good enough to be a clear advantage over camera phones but low enough in feature set to avoid cannibalizing the DSLR market. It wouldn't surprise me if Canon introduced several slightly different flavors of the the consumer-level M. For the consumer market, I doubt any of them have any clue which generation of sensor is in the camera, and they probably don't care. If it's cheap enough and has nifty enough features and is easy to use, the consumer market will be happy.

How such a strategy might fare against competing mirrorless offerings will definitely be interesting. As long as Canon does produce a high-end mirrorless body with all the whistles and bells -- and at a price congruent with DSLRs and/or competing high-end mirrorless solutions -- then it could be a good strategy. If Canon can(will) beat the competition at the high end, it will be free to play around with shaping a new (mirrorless) consumer market as its managers please.

Just remember that the features (or lack thereof) of the EOS M that cause us to grind our teeth are part-and-parcel for the consumer market. What it will all come down to is price against the competition and its feature set. Isn't that what competition is all about?

Obviously, neither the current M nor the M of this rumor represent a serious attempt by Canon to show the world how the ultimate mirrorless body should be done. If/when Canon decides to make such a statement, I'm confident it will be nothing less than spectacular. Meanwhile, we can all speculate on what will motivate Canon to do it...oh, and take some pictures between forum posts. :)

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My SmugMug Web Location
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 03:53:58 PM »
I think I'll just sew larger pockets into all my clothing that will accommodate my 1D4 + 24-70 and stick with that.   ::)
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

http://www.harveyg.smugmug.com

noncho

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • NonchoILiev.com
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 04:07:24 PM »
I have M, for M2 I would like:
Faster and better tracking AF, bigger grip, more FPS... New sensor will not make miracles for me.
BUT - I need more great little primes for this system!

lw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 04:09:46 PM »
For those disappointed by this announcement it doesn't preclude canon announcing a 2nd M model at the same time or shortly after. 
Many of the M rumours have suggested that Canon would be announcing two M models.

This is a leaked spec for the M2. A M-something else could / should still be on the cards for announcement now or at CES in January

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 04:10:21 PM »
Some time back, the rumor was for two new models in the M lineup - a 'low end' one that is a little smaller than the current M and targeted at 'consumers', and a 'high end' one incorporating DPAF and coming a bit later.

This rumor sounds like the former, particularly with the smartphone integration stuff.

that was  my first thought as well. However, the rumor is so strange ... e.g. as you already pointed out ... the ominous "2.3x AF-speed" ... otoh many of the other specs sound very credible. Wifi added, which enables apps for image transfer to and remote control by smartphones, slightly improved fps and AF, even smaller size ... done!
Canon would then reserve the 70D DPAF-sensor (plus EVF) for a later, higher-end EOS-M "3"- as rumored/speculated earlier on.

A true Sony A7R and Oly OMD1 killer. Canon at its "most innovative". Still hope it's not true though.  ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 04:10:21 PM »

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 04:13:02 PM »
Not ground breaking but looks pretty cool.  For $300, I'd probably buy one.  If $400 or more, it better have some really nice lenses available...
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

Eimajm

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 04:26:21 PM »
I'm interested in the M2 if I could get a compact 15mm prime with it to go with the 22mm. I not fussed at massive fps as I don't think the camera is aimed at the sports market, rather a nicer PAS with better image quality. I would also be quite happy with a rebel sensor, I was pleased with the IQ of my 350d when I had it and prints out from it were very good too. Just focus on new lenses and I'm sure it'll be a winner.

Bob Howland

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2013, 04:29:51 PM »
As I've written before, this model may represent nothing more than Canon's attempt to reduce the cost of manufacturing an M body. I doubt that Canon makes any profit on the original M body at the current kit prices and they weren't able to attract buyers at the original prices, so they may be trying to make something they can sell profitably with a 22mm lens for $500. A smaller M2 at that price would compete very well against something like the Panasonic GM1, especially with the larger Canon sensor.

That would explain the firmware upgrade for the current model. Essentially its development cost was absorbed in creating usable firmware for the new model.

All I know is that neither the current M nor the M2 makes me want to pull out my credit card. I'll wait for Canon's answer to the Panasonic GX7 (and/or maybe the GH3) but only if Canon also introduces their answer to the Metabones Speed Booster

iron-t

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2013, 04:30:37 PM »
Specs are fine if its real-world AF performance is good.  Certainly it's not the killer mirrorless many are pining for.  Coming from M4/3 prior to Canon DSLRs, I'd grab one for the size-to-IQ-to-cost balance, plus the bonus of being able to mount Canon glass that is much better than M4/3 offerings.

kphoto99

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2013, 04:32:12 PM »
If this rumor is true, I think it's evidence of Canon beginning to make mirrorless the new point-and-shoot market.

As camera phones devour the point-and-shoot market, Canon needs a new consumer-level bread-and-butter line that's good enough to be a clear advantage over camera phones but low enough in feature set to avoid cannibalizing the DSLR market. It wouldn't surprise me if Canon introduced several slightly different flavors of the the consumer-level M. For the consumer market, I doubt any of them have any clue which generation of sensor is in the camera, and they probably don't care. If it's cheap enough and has nifty enough features and is easy to use, the consumer market will be happy.

Obviously, neither the current M nor the M of this rumor represent a serious attempt by Canon to show the world how the ultimate mirrorless body should be done. If/when Canon decides to make such a statement, I'm confident it will be nothing less than spectacular. Meanwhile, we can all speculate on what will motivate Canon to do it...oh, and take some pictures between forum posts. :)

Every single P&S that I can think of had a build in flash. The M has to have it to be considered a P&S replacement. The 90EX that came in the kit I got is not any more powerful then a build in flash, and it is a pain to attach whenever a flash is required. I had a hell of a time explaining that to my wife (the M was for her).

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 04:47:19 PM »
hmm. no new lenses?

DOA
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 04:47:19 PM »

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2013, 04:50:30 PM »
Not ground breaking but looks pretty cool.  For $300, I'd probably buy one.  If $400 or more, it better have some really nice lenses available...

Well, considering the original EOS-M/22mm kit launched at $799, $300 seems awfully optimistic.  If this rumor is true, I see NO reason for us current EOS-M owners to "upgrade." 

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2013, 05:04:17 PM »

Every single P&S that I can think of had a build in flash. The M has to have it to be considered a P&S replacement. The 90EX that came in the kit I got is not any more powerful then a build in flash, and it is a pain to attach whenever a flash is required. I had a hell of a time explaining that to my wife (the M was for her).

Excellent point. Even on a DSLR, I like having a built-in flash to use for fill for sunny/back-lit scenes and/or catch lights in the eyes. They'll eventually need to add a pop-up flash to the EOS M, in my opinion.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2013, 05:04:17 PM »