September 19, 2014, 03:59:04 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M2 Specs Revealed?  (Read 10062 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M2 Specs Revealed?
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2013, 02:29:32 AM »
Someone on another forum says that they just saw it announced in Japan! They say that all of these specs appear to be correct other than for a BIG ONE. It is said, in reality, to use the 70D sensor and have the full top live view AF and everything else that sensor brings.

http://cweb.canon.jp/newsrelease/2013-12/pr-eos-m2.html

Release: mid-Dec 2013.

18 MP APS-C sensor with hybrid CMOS AF II. This is the same sensor as the one in SL1/100D. According to DPReview (http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7526513643/consumer-slr-camera-roundup-2013/9)

"The Canon Rebel SL1/100D also has something that most of the others do not: useably fast autofocus in live view and movie modes. When used with STM lenses, the SL1 gets closer to mirrorless speed and only the larger A58 can match it in this department."

oh man I guess that guy on the other forum was wrong and this rumor was 100% correct

I wonder what they mean by"As a result, in the ranging area wider than, enables fast focusing about 2.3 times ※ 2, it is possible to realize a shooting in the composition he wanted, ability to respond to a moving subject is improved conventional models ※ 1 will.

※ conventional models that have been updated to firmware Ver.2.0 more than one comparison is "EOS M".
    ※ 2 One-Shot AF, Live AF multi-point, use "F3.5-5.6 IS STM EF-M18-55mm", shooting at focal length 55mm. "

Do they mean it has 2.3x faster AF compared to the M Firmware v1 or compared to the M Firmware V2? If the latter then they have really, REALLLLY lost the plot.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2013, 02:29:32 AM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2013, 02:34:40 AM »
although the fact that the release is now back to mid-Dec instead of 2014 maybe just means that it's a stop gap until they get the 70D sensor version out in early 2014, kind of a tricky scenario! Either you miss holiday sales for this, the sort of camera that IS a stocking stuffer type or you end up releasing a much better version just a couple months later and burn all the holiday shoppers. No win. I wonder why they didn't plan it to use the 70D sensor to begin with and get that version out sooner.

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2013, 03:06:35 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the original M have Digic 5? Why are they boasting about that on the Japanese website. That's not news.

I see the AF assist light and IR remote sensor have changed orientation! That's about it. I wanna watch that video but I'm in work. Screw it. Here goes.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2013, 03:23:46 AM »
Do they mean it has 2.3x faster AF compared to the M Firmware v1 or compared to the M Firmware V2? If the latter then they have really, REALLLLY lost the plot.

They mean EOS M2 is 2.3x faster than EOS M firmware v2 which is 2.3x faster than EOS M firmware v1. Very strange, but that's the way it is.

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2013, 03:34:55 AM »
I just got an email from Canon a moment ago announcing the M2 for mid-December with no price yet. Being 8% smaller, with improved autofocus and wireless built in

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━…‥
 ■ミラーレスカメラ新製品「EOS M2」発表のご案内
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━…‥
本日、オートフォーカス性能を大幅に向上させたミラーレスカメラの新製品
“EOS M2”を発表しました。発売は2013年12月中旬の予定です。

─────────────────────
 製品名称  :EOS M2
        ※ボディカラー:ブラック/ホワイト
 本体標準価格:オープン価格
 発売予定  :2013年12月中旬
 ─────────────────────
        ※ボディー単体の販売はブラックのみとなります。

EOS シリーズと同等の高画質を小型・軽量ボディで実現した“EOS M2”は、
従来機種「EOS M」から約8%小型化しながら、オートフォーカス性能が大幅に
進化し無線LAN機能を新搭載。
手軽に高画質な写真を撮影し、外出先などでも友人や家族と共有できます。
クリスマス、忘年会、旅行、新年のご挨拶などイベント目白押しの年末年始
のマストアイテムになりそうです!

★新製品の詳細は以下のURLにアクセスしてご確認ください。
http://canon.jp/eos/special/m2sp/index.html

─────────────────────
 ◆ EOS M2 デビューキャンペーン
 ─────────────────────
 キャンペーン期間中に“EOS M2”ご購入者にもれなく、トラベラーズノート
 (EOS M2 ロゴ刻印)をプレゼント!
 さらに、抽選で20名様に土屋鞄のボストンバッグをプレゼントします。
 “EOS M2”を購入して旅行に嬉しいグッズを手に入れるチャンスです!

▼キャンペーンの詳細はこちら
  http://cweb.canon.jp/eos/campaign/m2-debut/index.html
5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2013, 03:39:51 AM »
I just got an email from Canon a moment ago announcing the M2 for mid-December with no price yet. Being 8% smaller, with improved autofocus and wireless built in

Prices in Japan here: http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20131203_626013.html
Higher than EOS-M now, but lower than when EOS-M was first launched. Oh well, no one is buying till its price drops to current EOS-M level...

Looks like NL rumor (July 7) is quite accurate. See http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/07/the-next-eos-m-cameras-cr1/:

"According to a source at NL, Canon is going to introduce a “basic” EOS M 18mp successor first, and follow it up with a 20mp APS-C dual pixel model afterwards. The latter camera is said to be aimed at the “full frame Canon shooter”, and will have an optional viewfinder. This goes along with what we’ve previously been told.

Also in development is a focal length reducer for EF lenses, this will be announced with the 20mp EOS M camera."

Also, later CR2 rumor (Sep 3) http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/09/the-next-eos-m-cr2/:

"We’re told that an EOS M announcement is coming soon. This source believes two cameras will be announced simultaneously, although that is not yet confirmed. As mentioned previously, the first camera will be a minor upgrade from the current EOS M and priced much lower than the original EOS M. It will also be available in more colors than the previous model.

A second higher end camera will be have more accessories available for it, such as an EVF. The system will also get a new flash.

A longer telephoto zoom will also be announced alongside at least one of these cameras."
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:45:00 AM by Woody »

TomazK

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2013, 04:23:57 AM »
Canon 1Ds mk3, 17-40f/4.0L, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200f/2.8L, 50f/1.4, 100f/2.8 macro, flashes&stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2013, 04:23:57 AM »

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2013, 04:42:55 AM »
wow ... Canon can!  :o
Finally managed to put WiFi into the EOS-M ... were it should have been all along .. like in many cheapo powershots. I am so impressed! And so small, so white, so CUTE!

Looks like the rumour was right: marginally improved iteration of the current M to come first. Next? The high-end, super-premium "Hello-Kitty special edition" with all two available lenses in special festive pink!  :P

spinworkxroy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2013, 04:58:38 AM »
I agree with you 100%.  I have a 6D as well as an EOS M.  Question for you- since you've got the A7R - what do you think of using an adapter with the L glass?  Have you tried any?  I'm also looking at the Contax G mount Zeiss glass, since the adapter supports AF.  There appears to be several interesting lenses in G mount for not much money.

Well, i'm using the adapter for the EOS M to EF lenses. The EOS M on it's own is already slow. With the EF lenses, it is not much slower. But sometimes it doesn't even focus.

One reason why i kept all my L lenses was to use it with the A7r becasue there isn't any FE lenses other than the 35mm.
However, when i used the metabones mk3 on the A7R, the AF became sooooo slow and even failed to focus sometimes. It basically became an EOS M!
The ONLY adapter that work well was Sony's own adapter for Amount glass which basically makes it an A99 and that adapter is FAST! Even faster than FE glass on the camera on it's own.

It's because of the slow AF speed, i have decided i will NOT want to use my EF lenses on the A7R.
To me, that camera only works with FE glass, A mount glass or manual glass. 

lw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2013, 05:59:40 AM »
I have put a summary of EOS M2 features and my own take on my EOS M blog
http://eos-m.net/news/eos-m2-announced-official/

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2013, 10:55:44 AM »
If this rumor is true, I think it's evidence of Canon beginning to make mirrorless the new point-and-shoot market.
Every single P&S that I can think of had a build in flash. The M has to have it to be considered a P&S replacement. The 90EX that came in the kit I got is not any more powerful then a build in flash, and it is a pain to attach whenever a flash is required. I had a hell of a time explaining that to my wife (the M was for her).
Excellent point. Even on a DSLR, I like having a built-in flash to use for fill for sunny/back-lit scenes and/or catch lights in the eyes. They'll eventually need to add a pop-up flash to the EOS M, in my opinion.

On a P&S, the flash is very close to the lens axis - rather than fill flash and catchlights, you get deer-in-headlights and red eye.  An M with an EVF and a popup flash...that's a 100D/SL1. Smaller is better!

In low light or at night, I would totally agree. That's when I pull out my 430EX II. For daylight fill (like someone sitting in shade or at the beach with the sun at their back) , I've been very pleased with the results from my G12's built-in flash.

By the way, it's a hoot seeing peoples' expressions when they see a 430EX II on a G12. :) It looks much more at home on my 70D.  :P

EDIT: Just thought I'd add that perhaps the reason for success with the built-in flash on my G12 is that the flash output is very easy to adjust. Press one button, then turn the dial...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 11:12:09 AM by Famateur »

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2013, 11:05:07 AM »
I dunno about comparisons to an SL1 with size. When I compared them the SL1 in store with my EOS-M it was still noticeably smaller. Crucially the difference between pocket (albeit large/coat) and not.

True...and my M is a lot smaller than my 1D X.  But, add an EVF, popup flash, a rate button, etc., then compare it to next year's SL2 (the World's Even More Smallerest dSLR), and see how they measure up...

If it's smaller, maybe they'll call it the SL 3/4.  ;D

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2013, 11:10:46 AM »
I have put a summary of EOS M2 features and my own take on my EOS M blog
http://eos-m.net/news/eos-m2-announced-official/
excellent, thanks!

the following bit of information is of specific interest:
AF Speed: The good news is that it appears the AF speed has been increased by a factor of 2.3x over the current M model that has V 2.0 firmware installed as highlighted in the quote below.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2013, 11:10:46 AM »