August 21, 2014, 08:34:59 AM

Author Topic: 60D or Wait?  (Read 13428 times)

jasonmillard81

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
60D or Wait?
« on: October 08, 2011, 12:59:00 AM »
Greetings,

I am an amateur when it comes to this field and am seeking guidance.  I am currently selling my Canon HF-S20 video camcorder to jump on the DSLR revolution-wagon.

I have done some research and think the t3i, 60d, 7d are in my range of possibilities for purchase.

I am primarily looking to work with video and will use some still work to support my content.

I am a teacher using mostly footage from interviews and documentary type  filming, such as protests, to engage content.  I will also use it sporadically for personal use, concerts, sports, etc.

I seem to be leaning towards the 60D...what are your thoughts on that as well as upcoming cameras in that range as well as lenses ?

Best

canon rumors FORUM

60D or Wait?
« on: October 08, 2011, 12:59:00 AM »

Leopard Lupus

Re: 60D or Wait?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 02:53:16 AM »
Hello, Jason

I am currently working with a 7D as well as a 60D. From my experience, the 60D is directed at the video end more than the 7D. The reason I say this is not only due to the handy-dandy flip-screen, but the silent button use allows the user to change settings quietly as not to hear a "click" during the video filming. If you are looking to get stills, I would suggest the 7D hands down. Both have excellent (the same) image quality. I would stay away from the t3i (I know the low price and features are tempting) but the build quality is very poor, especially if you are able to budget a 60D or 7D which are well constructed. As far as lenses go, I bought the 50mm F/1.4 and love it. Lightweight, portable and not cumbersome for walking around. With a crop sensor it equals out to an 80mm, which I find comfortable for general use and low light situations.
Happy shooting!

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 07:52:09 AM »
Hey Jason!

It's funny you should mention the 7D, 60D, and T3i; I was considering the same trio myself.  I want to upgrade from my XSi when I get back from Afghanistan.  When you mentioned that you wanted it primarily for video, you kind of lost me.  I'm a stills shooter from way back and would probably just use the video functions to satisfy my curiousity...

All three share the same sensor.  The T3i supports the new "UHS-1" class SD cards for video.  $695 is a very tempting price.  For about $200 more, you're at the 60D.  A little higher burst rate and a slightly higher flash sync; but that's probably not important to you.  Better build quality from all the reviews I've read.  Add another $600 and you have the 7D; just read the posts on this site and you'll see it has a lot of fans!  Dual Digic IV's, CF memory, 8 fps burst, 100% viewfinder, magnesium alloy body, etc...  There's a lot to love about that camera!

If you're going to get a 50mm (about 80mm equivalent with that sensor) the 2.5 compact macro is hard to beat for less than $250.  I have had mine for over 20 years; it is still tack sharp and rivals my three "L" lenses for IQ.  Plus, the ability to get those really tight close-ups is a great bonus...

Welcome to the world of SLR's!
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

Hesbehindyou

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 10:44:39 AM »
I am currently selling my Canon HF-S20 video camcorder to jump on the DSLR revolution-wagon.

I seem to be leaning towards the 60D...what are your thoughts on that as well as upcoming cameras in that range as well as lenses ?

I'd go for either 60D or 600D, simply because they can use the magic lantern mod.  Of the two, the 50D is the better camera.  As for lenses, 15-85 is a great general purpose walk around lens.  Consider IS essential if you're going to be hand holding.

I'd hang on to the video camera too - the small depth of field you get with DSLRs can suck!

Alexiumz

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »
I'd second what a lot of the post above are saying. Personally I'd recommend the 60D - better build quality than the t3i and a bigger, more comfortable grip. The 7D is a fantastic camera, undoubtedly, however I would still choose the 60D over the 7D if your primary useage will be video. The flip out screen does it for me, I've been on shoots where it's simply been invaluable, some of the shots we just wouldn't have been able to do without that screen.

The 7D does offer better build quality still, and weather proofing, so if it's within your budget I'd recommend it over the 60D for photography, but again, for video I'd still pick the 60D.

Also as someone mentioned, the 50 f/1.4 is a wonderful lens, it's just a shame that the 7 and 60 are cropped - 80mm is great for portraits but general use it can be a little confined sometimes.

jasonmillard81

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 03:46:07 PM »
Thanks all!

For the confusion, I am coming from an HF-S20 camcorder and disliked its inability to provide a cinematic quality DOF.  The film shot with DSLRs are becoming popular and have made it to big-budget movies and TV production.

I would like to spend (with tax) under 2,000.  I am a novice and already feel I am investing a lot of money into a passion/hobby.

I am teacher who would like to take "stunning" footage for personal and professional (teaching) use.  Capturing the protests for Occupy Wall St. was a big thing for me and I used my HF-S20 but if you look at how it compares to the DSLR footage of the protests it pales in comparison.

Having said that...

I need:

1. D60 body
2. 50mm F/1.4

OPTIONS:

1. another lens
2. a rode mic to mount on top for interview purposes and better audio
3. not sure...

Any further thoughts?

Leopard Lupus

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 04:45:42 PM »
You won't regret your purchases!
I would highly recommend a small, portable tripod. A small tripod can be used as a makeshift steady-cam allowing for smoother video (plus it is tons of fun) and can be purchased pretty much anywhere that sells camera gear. I bought a $20 one just for that purpose, and it has lasted me a good 2 years thus far.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 04:45:42 PM »

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 05:50:43 PM »
Thanks all!

For the confusion, I am coming from an HF-S20 camcorder and disliked its inability to provide a cinematic quality DOF.  The film shot with DSLRs are becoming popular and have made it to big-budget movies and TV production.

I would like to spend (with tax) under 2,000.  I am a novice and already feel I am investing a lot of money into a passion/hobby.

I am teacher who would like to take "stunning" footage for personal and professional (teaching) use.  Capturing the protests for Occupy Wall St. was a big thing for me and I used my HF-S20 but if you look at how it compares to the DSLR footage of the protests it pales in comparison.

Having said that...

I need:

1. D60 body
2. 50mm F/1.4

OPTIONS:

1. another lens
2. a rode mic to mount on top for interview purposes and better audio
3. not sure...

Any further thoughts?

The 50mm f/1.4 is a great portrait lens on an APS-C body, but you won't want it to be your only lens. If you get your camera with one of the kit lenses, you should be fine.

One lens option that is a little wider is the Samyang 35mm f/1.4. Its image quality is reputedly superb, the only downside is that it's manual focus but that may not be such a big deal if you're using it for video (you don't have continuous autofocus in video)

While I haven't done any serious video work with my SLRs I've looked into it and read up on the topic. The predominant recurring themes are, stabilizing the camera (a tripod already mentioned is an inexpensive and effective way to do this) and getting the microphone away from the camera body internals if you want good audio.

I'd be inclined to keep the camcorder. I recently got a 5D mark II and will still keep my budget camcorder. There are some things a cheap camcorder does really well that a DSLR struggles with -- such as staying focused on a moving target.

archangelrichard

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 08:20:44 PM »
With video being only 2MP, you could look at different lenses (the canon 17 - 85 IS USM, the canon 28 - 135 IS USM which have  the same body, just different glass) a 28 - 300 sigma, 18 - 300 tamron, 10 - 17 tamron, etc; etc. An F 1.4 will give you very little depth of field; you will probably want much more - moving objects tend to move through your D O F

you will probably want a video light as well as a flash (digital is NOT good for low light) You might note that the 7D Autofocuses faster (by a very slight bit) than the 60D - no digital autofocuses well in low light

I have the 60D; the flip out screen is useful when autofocusing, you can't use it well for manual focus (the resolution is too low) so it is better for video; keeping objects in frame more than focusing

You also will want a good tripod (not just the cheapest thing you find but one that will take the weight of camera lens and flash easily) and possibly a video stabilizer (generally a harness so you can easily walk with the camera stabilized - I did mention IS lenses)

You will also want to edit video so have you budgeted a fast computer with lots of memory and a good video editing program (4 core is a nice start, dual core if you have to)

jasonmillard81

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
Thanks again guys... how about purchasing new vs. used?  Thoughts.  I am skeptical about purchasing high-end electronics from private sellers...thoughts?

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 01:49:53 PM »
1] Vari-Angle LCD is a BIG plus for videos. So, 60D or 600D may be the right choice.
2] You may need a nice constant aperture (f/2.8 ) zoom lens with image stabilization for smooth handheld filming. Something like Tamron 17-50/2.8VC or Sigma 17-50OS would be great.
3] If you'll shoot on a tripod or use steady shot stabilizers then you may consider some fast primes, but I suggest you to look for manual lenses because those will allow you to focus a lot easier and with better precision. Adapted older (used) manual primes (M42, FD, Nikkor, etc) would do, as well as the affordable Samyang/Rokinon glass. This way you can save some money for a good tripod, external sound recording device, extra batteries, etc.
FF + primes !

intown

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 10:32:29 PM »
Thanks for this thread.  I am in the exact same position.  Looking for a good DSLR to shoot video for work. We are starting to film interviews and product reviews for the web.  The camera would also be used to take family / hobby photos.  I was a college newspaper photographer when images were recorded on film, just as digital came onto the scene.  I am currently using a borrowed Nikon D90.

Hoping for a new sub $2500 body announced soon.
I looked at all the same cameras and have narrowed it down to the 60D but I am going to wait till after November 3 and see if any new models have been announced.  I am hoping there will be a new body priced at or below the 5D mark ii released sometime before the holidays.  Any one else that is thinking about a 60D planning on waiting till November to see if any DSLRs have been announced?

New Vs. Used
I will probably by new.  I am not opposed to used if the seller is local and the price is right.  Canon gear seems to hold its value so well that used prices are usually within 5 - 15% of new prices.  If the camera was greater than 30% off then I would go used.

30mm vs 50mm
I am also looking to get a good prime lens to start with.  I have been looking at the canon 50mm f/1.4 but also considering a sigma 30mm (I think this is users have rated highly) due to the crop factor.  Is the sigma a good way to go?  Is it a good lens?  would you go 30mm or 50mm as your only prime on a crop body camera?

Telephoto Zoom Lens
In addition to a prime lens I would also want to get a nice zoom.  Any suggestions if you could only get one zoom?

Thanks so much! -- Steven

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 04:04:41 AM »
... would you go 30mm or 50mm as your only prime on a crop body camera?
Definitely 30mm. However, it may be a good idea to get 50mm if you will buy a FF camera in the near future.
Nice tele zoom - EF 70-200/2.8L IS USM II - if you can afford one.
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 04:04:41 AM »

pelebel

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Photographes de mariage et d'évènements à Québec
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 08:53:57 PM »
Have you thought about the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM? One of the best lenses around: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/best_canon_eos_lenses.html

- You got IS
- Constant wide 2.8 aperture
- Image quality is comparable to L lenses
- 17-55 covers wide-angle AND 50mm

The lens is costy, but as I always heard, you should put at least as much money in the glass as in the body if you want good image quality. And personally I've got a T2i and I'm currently shooting with a 60D, I surely prefer the 60D but I would buy the T3i if I was short on budget.

The 60D's best advantage is its autofocus system, but if you shoot video you won't even use it!
5D mkII, T2i with 24-70mm f/2.8 L, 135mm f/2 L and 50mm f/1.8 II Photographes de mariage et d'évènements à Québec

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 04:51:16 AM »
The 60D's best advantage is its autofocus system, but if you shoot video you won't even use it!
Actually there is more:
better battery
better built and grip
pentaprism
more fps and larger buffer
better controls (back wheel, top lcd)
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 04:51:16 AM »