July 29, 2014, 08:16:26 AM

Author Topic: 60D or Wait?  (Read 13327 times)

J Live

Re: 60D or Wait?
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »
I'd say go with the 60D for the type of content you're planning on capturing.

I've been using the 5D for the same thing since it came out and was tired of carrying an EX3 video camera with me on flights (I always travel with a backup camera & prefer to shoot interviews with 2 cameras anyway for editing reasons). Anyway, I was about to get the 7D when the 60D came out so I grabbed it instead and really like it. The build quality is no where near the 7d so if you were doing tons of outdoor shooting I'd go that route but remember your lenses will/would also need to be L series to handle weather. Also, 7d has no manual audio controls so that's one advantage of the 60d. The tilting screen is the other. For 2 camera interviews it is very handy to tilt the viewfinder so you can see it while you're standing behind the other camera - very annoying for subject to see you walking over to other camera while they are trying to maintain eye contact with interviewer - as well of course, useful for low/high shooting angles for other stuff looking over protest crowds etc.

Advantages over Rebel line are significant:

Build quality, same batteries/chargers as 5d & 7d if you ever decide to get a 2nd body, and biggest is it's ability to shoot native ISOs (160,320,640 etc) which is essential for video IMHO for lowest noise.

Anyway all that to say, i'm very happy with the 60D considering it's price/options, but don't forget to budget for all the other 'little' things you'll need that add up - like mics, audio recorders, good headphones, ND filters for outdoor shooting,  fast(ish) SD cards etc., so factor those extra expense in as well.

Good luck!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »

tinalear

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 03:43:15 PM »
I have had my 60D for the past 4 months and it is absolutely fantastic.

I would highly recommend it to all!

Isaac

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2011, 02:58:56 AM »
I would say wait for the 70d or go with the 7d.

Both the xxd series and the xd series are high performance with incredible specs.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 03:00:31 AM by Isaac »

ianhar

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2011, 05:38:37 AM »
It always should i buy this or that now or wait. Seriously if you have the money now you should go for it. If you wait for a thing that has not been announce yet you are losing the chance to do all the things you can do with the camera. Do not procrastinate on anything! Even if a new camera is announce you still have to wait for it to be on the shelf for you to buy it. That is going to make the waiting process even longer.

But if your budget are tight and wont be able to do much after you buy the 60d, the best thing to do is to wait first and save up some money and spend it later

Cheers!

jasonmillard81

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2011, 08:13:07 PM »
Thanks for some of the replies gentleman.

I am patiently waiting for the $ I have coming my way from selling my HFS20.

I should have about $1300 when that comes.  I'd like to get my reserves up to $2,000 before I begin shopping.

I am starting from scratch (body, lens, bag, audio, filters, memory card)

I have a few follow-up/repeat questions:

1. 60D vs. GH2? Many are saying the GH2 is far superior than the 60D for video quality?  Can anyone weigh in on this?

2. Will there be a new camera before Christmas?  I do not think I'd like to wait any longer then a few weeks unless a comparably priced body is coming out.

3. Any good websites for beginner DSLR video users?

briansquibb

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 02:05:11 AM »
As far as lenses go, I bought the 50mm F/1.4 and love it. Lightweight, portable and not cumbersome for walking around.

The 50 f/1.8 is good value for money - but the 1.4 is worth the extra money. I use the 50mm on the 7D for portraits - a good combo.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2011, 04:00:13 PM »
Compare how they feel in your hand, operate the buttons and controls.

I have large hands, and the Rebels are noticibly more difficult for me to use even though many with more normal sized hands prefer the smaller format. 

It can make a difference, so consider the fit and feel of the body into your decision.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2011, 04:00:13 PM »

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2011, 04:54:22 AM »
Thanks for some of the replies gentleman.

I am patiently waiting for the $ I have coming my way from selling my HFS20.

I should have about $1300 when that comes.  I'd like to get my reserves up to $2,000 before I begin shopping.

I am starting from scratch (body, lens, bag, audio, filters, memory card)

I have a few follow-up/repeat questions:

1. 60D vs. GH2? Many are saying the GH2 is far superior than the 60D for video quality?  Can anyone weigh in on this?

2. Will there be a new camera before Christmas?  I do not think I'd like to wait any longer then a few weeks unless a comparably priced body is coming out.

3. Any good websites for beginner DSLR video users?

Some good point here:
http://www.eoshd.com/content/460/Canon-60D-versus-Panasonic-GH2-Full-Review-Part-1
http://www.eoshd.com/content/465/canon-60d-versus-panasonic-gh2-full-review-part-2
FF + primes !

jasonmillard81

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2011, 09:08:54 PM »
Those reviews completely rip apart the Canon DSLR's for video and highly recommend the GH2...is that the general consensus here?

Are there legitimate counterpoints to that review?

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2011, 03:35:47 PM »
Those reviews completely rip apart the Canon DSLR's for video and highly recommend the GH2...is that the general consensus here?

Are there legitimate counterpoints to that review?

Well. Canon APS-C sensor is still larger than M4/3 and 5D2 is FF. That alone is one heavy, unbeatable point (if you know what I mean). On the other hand, GH2 is a mirrorless camera, so you can use pretty much any lens you want via adapter and that is a huge advantage too. However, there is one more player - Sony NEX. It is mirrorless + APS-C sensor + decent video capabilities ;).
For me, sensor size is more important. I'm not that much into filming, but I think that 5D2 is the king of the hill for now.
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2011, 03:35:47 PM »