September 02, 2014, 03:49:51 AM

Author Topic: Evaporating printer ink or Canon conspiracy  (Read 6844 times)

trof2

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Evaporating printer ink or Canon conspiracy
« on: December 02, 2013, 09:23:01 PM »
Okay, so here's the thing...  I have a Pixma Pro9000 II, which I have been using for about two years now, and for the same two years I have been repeatedly and increasingly frustrated with its ink usage until I have to hold myself back from throwing the POS out of the window (such as today). 

I KNOW I put in brand new cartridges a month ago, and in this interval, I printed maybe 50 black and white pages of text at low quality, and maybe a handful of photos.  Now this thing is telling me I'm out of cyan and magenta.  WTF?!  All other ink levels are more or less full.

Now look, I did not print a handful of cyan and magenta posters this month.  We're talking 4x6 balanced exposures here.  This sort of random ink depletion happens with other random colors too.  In fact, I don't even need to print to see the ink levels drop before my eyes.  All I have to do is turn the printer on and off, and the ink is visibly lower than seconds prior! Some drop, while others remain.  Tomorrow, when I turn in on, it's probably going to tell me that I'm running low on red, although today it's full.

It costs me around $80 to fill this piece of sheisse up with ink each time, so I'm sure you understand my frustration. 

Based on my observations, I have arrived at the following hypotheses:
1.  Every time the printer does its stupid buzzing and clicking cleaning cycle, it actually sprays geysers of color like Ron Jeremy after eating a kilo of Skittles.
2.  My printer heads may dry out periodically because of low humidity or something, and the printer decides to flush the contents of its cartridges to get anything through.
3.  The ink evaporates.
4.  Canon deliberately programmed this thing to engage in ink wasting cycles other than printing my photography or timed the cartridges to deplete after a certain period of time.

I'm curious if anyone in this community has ever experienced anything of the sort, and what you have done to remedy this.

canon rumors FORUM

Evaporating printer ink or Canon conspiracy
« on: December 02, 2013, 09:23:01 PM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: Evaporating printer ink or Canon conspiracy
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 09:43:10 PM »
The answer is 1.

Don't switch it off unless you have to, in the utilities see if there is an option to turn auto cleaning off, there is in my Epson.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

trof2

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 10:19:12 PM »
The answer is 1.

Don't switch it off unless you have to, in the utilities see if there is an option to turn auto cleaning off, there is in my Epson.

This would be easy in a perfect world with no friction or air resistance.  Alas, there is no option to disable auto cleaning.

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 10:48:23 PM »
This business of printers burning off ink is the reason I don't have a printer since 2006! A three minute walk from my house are two printing places and a photo studio. So I can have the pick of printers I want to print on.  :)

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 10:56:32 PM »
This business of printers burning off ink is the reason I don't have a printer since 2006! A three minute walk from my house are two printing places and a photo studio. So I can have the pick of printers I want to print on.  :)

I would venture to say for most people and home printing it isn't about the money, it is about making it yourself and having complete control in the final output, hell if we wanted to talk finances how many of us need a 5D MkIII over a 7D and L lenses over EF-s lenses to make the images we do?
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 11:17:17 PM »
I have two printers - an HP All-in-One and a Canon Selphy CP900.  The HP does pretty good with ink, although it's probably used more as a photocopier than a printer.  The Selphy is Canon's little dye-sub 4x6" photo printer - Canon sells packs of paper + 'ink' (transfer film rolls) in matched numbers, but every time it's turned on it 'burns' one print worth of the ink, so you end up with excess paper, especially if you only print a couple at a time and power it off in between (to store it in a drawer, for example)...so, there may be something to your 'conspiracy theory'.

FWIW, I don't print 'real' prints on either printer (and not at 4x6"), those go to a lab.  I have the Selphy because I have young kids.  Seems they often need to bring in a picture of their family/pet/favorite whatever on short notice.  It also comes in handy as a fallback option for alphabet show and tell - I just go to my Birds library (Anhinga, Bluebird, Catbird, Duck, Egret, etc. :) ).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 12:04:00 AM »
The conspiracy theory has been going around for at least 20 years.  The fact is that printers tend to consume ink even if they are not used.

A laser printer is much better in that regard, but they can use excess toner as well, just not very much.

I long ago found high quality 3rd party ink for my inkjet printers, and third party toner for my color laser.  That cuts the cost down. 

I also have a Kodak Dye Sub.  It only uses the ink film when I print, but if its turned off too long, I may have to do a couple of prints and toss them because they come out splotchy.

You can't win.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 12:04:00 AM »

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 08:28:48 AM »
Has anyone tried one of those Xerox solid ink printers?
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 12:35:47 PM »
The following formula solved my problem with regard to Canon printers and their ink "issue."

1. Find alternative ways to print. I've found several that do not cause me to own a printer.

2. Favorably describe your printer in a posting on Craig's List.

3. When the CL buyer hands you a $50 bill, hand him the printer.

4. Use part of the $50 for a bottle of good bourbon.

5. Problem solved.

I'm glad the damn thing is gone and haven't missed it for even one minute.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 12:42:19 PM by distant.star »
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 12:40:23 PM »
The following formula solved my problem with regard to Canon printers and their ink "issue."

1. Find alternative ways to print. I've found several that do not cause me to own a printer.

2. Favorably describe you printer in a posting on Craig's List.

3. When the CL buyer hands you a $50 bill, hand him the printer.

4. Use part of the $50 for a bottle of good bourbon.

5. Problem solved.

I'm glad the damn thing is gone and haven't missed it for even one minute.
+1 on each of those points except #4. You get a 10 for that :)

I guess unlike some of the folks here I don't need to print much. The kids are all grown up and all that...

Ruined

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »
I am pretty sure the PRO-100/10 have an option to disable auto cleaning, suprised the 9000 does not.

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 02:18:41 PM »
I am pretty sure the PRO-100/10 have an option to disable auto cleaning, suprised the 9000 does not.

What happens when this is disabled? How long can an inkjet printer sit before ink dries up inside?

I found something called "Execute ink quality maintenance automatically" with a checkbox (Pro-10 properties).

The ink appetite has kinda surprised me. It has been almost 10 years since I last owned an inkjet- switched to laser. But I wanted to print stuff at home without going out.

I suppose it is just a matter of time before 3rd party inks come out for this printer...
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 02:25:30 PM »
Yep disable that, it sounds like an auto throw away of ink every time you turn it on.

There should be an option for manual cleaning/maintenance, each time you go to use it print a test pattern and run a manual clean if it needs it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 02:25:30 PM »

takesome1

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 02:29:16 PM »
There is no savings printing with the 9000 over taking photos to a lab.

The only reason to use it is convenience and if you want to control the output of your work.
The 9000 gives better results than my local labs. If those reasons do not justify the cost of the ink, take your stuff to a lab and avoid the stress.

Cost wise;
On small prints it will cost you more to use the 9000 than the labs.
Large prints it balances out somewhat.

AND; Stop printing text, it is an incredible waste of money.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 02:42:14 PM »
AND; Stop printing text, it is an incredible waste of money.
+1 on that - even a cheap laser will save you TON$$$ of money over any inkjet. 
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 02:42:14 PM »