September 22, 2014, 04:45:30 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M2 Gets Official in Asia, Not Coming to the USA or Europe?  (Read 10804 times)

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
Re: Canon EOS M2 Gets Official
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 07:17:18 AM »
disappointing that it is not the 70D sensor.

guess we will have to wait for the more pro oriented model to see better features.
this is not enough to make me buy a canon M.

the FPS are not good either for a mirrorless.

I think the reason we aren't seeing the 70D sensor in the M could be that Canon are trying to differentiate that as a higher end feature. Though we first see it in the mid range EOS 70D it still hasn't reached it's full potential. We are told the C100 will get the firmware upgrade that enables the Dual Pixel technology so it seems that Canon are saving it for the higher end cameras. My bet would be that the next camera to have Dual Pixel AF will be the 7D2. Doesn't make sense to put it in an EOS M before the 7D2. (Oh it makes perfect sense to us consumers but not to Canon's marketing department!  ;) )

Also, if you look at the rebel series, which I would place higher on the EOS scale than the M, we see regular incremental upgrades to the models. The t6i to t7i was barely an update at all! The M to M2 seems to be along the same lines of Canon's strategy.

Whatever, I mean did we really expect miracles?

Wonder how much this new M is gonna be, that's the real question. If it's $400 for the kit it will be a nice little P&S substitute for many.

As for lenses I do agree that one more prime would be nice. I've given up on that idea and decided to buy an FD adaptor and buy some cheap (but good) FD glass. Manual focus doesn't bother me at all. And that's the great thing about the M, you can use all kinds of lenses with it via adaptors.

As for built in flash - no, that is a stupid idea. As an off camera flash junkie I fully support Canon's decision there! Use the hotshoe, that's what it's there for!!!!
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 07:17:18 AM »

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 07:24:52 AM »
from the japanese price it will be around 800$ with kit lens.. 600$ body only.

i think we could expect the 70D sensor for that price if canon was really going into the mirrorless market. it sure would draw more attention to canons mirroless offering then the 18MP sensor.

i know i know... the 70D cost more. but cameras are more then their sensors.
i think there would be enough to separat them. look at the 60D when it was released and the rebel line.

i hope canon will announce that PRO model and it will show a commitment to the M line.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 07:32:47 AM by Lichtgestalt »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 07:25:48 AM »
disappointing that it is not the 70D sensor.

guess we will have to wait for the more pro oriented model to see better features.
this is not enough to make me buy a canon M.

the FPS are not good either for a mirrorless.

I think the reason we aren't seeing the 70D sensor in the M could be that Canon are trying to differentiate that as a higher end feature. Though we first see it in the mid range EOS 70D it still hasn't reached it's full potential. We are told the C100 will get the firmware upgrade that enables the Dual Pixel technology so it seems that Canon are saving it for the higher end cameras. My bet would be that the next camera to have Dual Pixel AF will be the 7D2. Doesn't make sense to put it in an EOS M before the 7D2. (Oh it makes perfect sense to us consumers but not to Canon's marketing department!  ;) )

Also, if you look at the rebel series, which I would place higher on the EOS scale than the M, we see regular incremental upgrades to the models. The t6i to t7i was barely an update at all! The M to M2 seems to be along the same lines of Canon's strategy.

Whatever, I mean did we really expect miracles?

Wonder how much this new M is gonna be, that's the real question. If it's $400 for the kit it will be a nice little P&S substitute for many.

As for lenses I do agree that one more prime would be nice. I've given up on that idea and decided to buy an FD adaptor and buy some cheap (but good) FD glass. Manual focus doesn't bother me at all. And that's the great thing about the M, you can use all kinds of lenses with it via adaptors.

As for built in flash - no, that is a stupid idea. As an off camera flash junkie I fully support Canon's decision there! Use the hotshoe, that's what it's there for!!!!

R U a paid fluffier from Canon. corporate? 8)

Yup, they pay me the big bucks to spout nonsense! Haha!

Well, think about it. Am I wrong?
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

Zlyden

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 07:41:59 AM »
I'll bet Canon USA is annoyed, unless they can get them on store shelves within a week or so.

My assumption is that Canon (as many other large corporations) believes in statistics when it takes market decisions.

And judging by CIPA statistics primary mirrorless market is Japan (and Asia) where mirrorless hold about ~ 35% of "interchangeable lens cameras" market (the rest are DSLRs ~ 65%).

In Americas mirrorless is only 8-10% while DSLRs hold whole 90-92%.

So, what you see as "EOS M" and "EOS M2" are tiny cameras with minimalistic design that are targeted for Japan (in first place).

It's just like with the cars: if you are from USA you are supposed to drive Nissan Patrol, not Nissan Micra (and shoot with EOS 1D X + at least some EF 400 from its window...  :) )
G7 | EOS M | 400D | 6D
EF: 50/1.8 II | 17-40 | 24-105 | 70-300DO / EF-S: 10-22 | 18-55 | 18-55 IS | Sigma 30/1.4 (old one) / EF-M: 11-22 | 18-55 | 22
I also own few Canon flashes, remotes, blends, bags, cases (including waterproof one) and even batteries! :)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 07:43:28 AM »
You know what I hate?  When a new product launch makes you yawn so wide that flies get in your mouth.  :o

So the rumors were true! Interesting, although I'm not yet convinced. Looking forward to see how the auto focus performs.

EDIT:
The video shown here includes a comparison of EOS M vs EOS M2 AF speed. Seems a lot quicker

http://cweb.canon.jp/newsrelease/2013-12/pr-eos-m2.html

Haven't watched the video, but does it specify that the M used for comparison has the v2 firmware?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 08:05:05 AM »
no flash.. not a big deal for some. but i guess some possible M customers will miss it.

no EVF.

those two missing features make the EOS M2 cheaper to manufacture then competing mirroless cameras.
so compared to other cameras the rumored/translated japanese price is to high, in my opinion.

FPS disappointing.

a 6$ wifi chip does not cut the cake.

at least we can hope the AF is now a match to other mirrorless offerings.

Bob Howland

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 08:10:29 AM »
I'll bet Canon USA is annoyed, unless they can get them on store shelves within a week or so.

My assumption is that Canon (as many other large corporations) believes in statistics when it takes market decisions.

And judging by CIPA statistics primary mirrorless market is Japan (and Asia) where mirrorless hold about ~ 35% of "interchangeable lens cameras" market (the rest are DSLRs ~ 65%).

So, what you see as "EOS M" and "EOS M2" are tiny cameras with minimalistic design that are targeted for Japan (in first place).

It's just like with the cars: if you are from USA you are supposed to drive Nissan Patrol, not Nissan Micra (and shoot with EOS 1D X + at least some EF 400 from its window...  :) )

Did you read my entire post, because your "response" makes no sense?

Incidentally, I drive a Honda Fit.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 08:10:29 AM »

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M2 Gets Official in Asia, Not Coming to the USA or Europe?
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 08:11:12 AM »
I hope the EOS-M2's AF speed increase is in comparison to the EOS-M AF speed after the recent firmware update.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 08:16:52 AM »
I think there may be a processing power and heat dissipation issue with the 20MP sensor from the 70D; either that or it's too expensive to manufacture!

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 08:24:02 AM »
Its hard not to read this as anything else than; too little, too late. While the original EOS M could be read as a test baloon in the mirrorless market, the new version does not communicate that they deem this market interesting.
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 08:29:10 AM »
Has this been announced in the US yet?
you think they will finally announce the 11-22mm lens in the US along with this camera?
*update* just saw the latest post... is this really not being announced in the US at all? what is Canon thinking?
are they just quitting? will they have a FF mirrorless coming soon(or ever?) I feel like they are just giving up on trying to do anything besides DSLR's in the US. You would think they might give a little more effort in to developing something for the future.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 08:32:02 AM »

Did you read my entire post, because your "response" makes no sense?

Incidentally, I drive a Honda Fit.

it makes sense.

and as the article update says... they may not see in in the USA at all.
so no interference with christmas sales.  ;)

maybe only a PRO modell will be available in the USA and europe.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 08:33:35 AM »
It looks like this may be an Asia only model.  Size was never the primary defect of the M in the North American market.  CanonUSA is better off skipping this one and waiting for one with the 70D sensor for the M2.  And if they can improve on the focusing speed of the 70D chip with new algorithms, then the M2 will be a formidable entry.

And if a new M is not ready with a 70D chip until next year, kudos to CanonUSA for not confusing the market by bringing this "update" to this market.  If the M is currently selling for 300, how much more can they sell this minor update?  It's just not worth it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 08:33:35 AM »

stolpe

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 08:36:03 AM »
Please Canon, release a EOS-M2 Pro model as soon as possible...

/ Stolpe

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 08:38:43 AM »
The limited release is interesting.  It almost seems like Canon is using this as market research: maybe they are still trying to find the core feature set and pricing that will sell well in the US and Europe. 

My main disappointment is that $800 for this device means the "big brother" will be absurdly expensive.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 08:38:43 AM »