October 31, 2014, 09:58:18 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M2 Gets Official in Asia, Not Coming to the USA or Europe?  (Read 11302 times)

YuengLinger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M2 Gets Official in Asia, Not Coming to the USA or Europe?
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 08:39:10 AM »
I imagine there are a lot of high-end products that don't show up in the USA.  Back in the early 2000's, ASUS computers had a line of beautiful magnesium-alloy shell laptops, state of the art circuitry, that never made it over here.  Of course that might have been when Asus was just beginning to test the waters in the USA.

But living in China back then, I tried Amazon several times for some of the gadgets I saw there, brands like Samsung, Sharp, IBM, and Sony.  Found that while anything available in the States could be found in China, many nicer items for sale there could were not showing up on either Amazon or Best Buy.

Maybe marketing and regulatory costs and shipping just don't add up to profit for every item.  And of course lately the US economy, except for the stock market, continues to spiral downward.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 08:39:10 AM »

lw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2013, 08:39:47 AM »
One would assume however that production of the current M will cease, and be replaced by the M2.

If the M2 isn't going to be available in EU or US, then they better have a big inventory of current M models, or the M-Pro of whatever the dual-pixel version is called had better be available soon.

Even then, I can't imagine the EU or US only wanting one enthusiast oriented model in their M system line up with no entry level to suck people into the system.

That makes little sense, unless they intend selling the M-Pro for $299, which I somehow doubt!

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2013, 08:47:13 AM »
One would assume however that production of the current M will cease, and be replaced by the M2.

If the M2 isn't going to be available in EU or US, then they better have a big inventory of current M models, or the M-Pro of whatever the dual-pixel version is called had better be available soon.

Even then, I can't imagine the EU or US only wanting one enthusiast oriented model in their M system line up with no entry level to suck people into the system.

That makes little sense, unless they intend selling the M-Pro for $299, which I somehow doubt!

it makes even less sense to ship all that stuff over to USA or europe to sit on the shelves.  ;)
look at microsofts surface tablet.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2013, 09:11:50 AM »
UPDATE
...my contact at Canon Canada didn’t even know the camera was coming.

Interesting.  When the EF-M 11-22mm was not launched in the US, it was reported as a decision by Canon USA.  But if Canon Canada wasn't notified of the M2 launch in Asia, that suggests a decision by Canon HQ.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

lw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2013, 09:21:25 AM »
DPR confirm that Canon Europe have said the M2 won't be available in Europe.

lw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2013, 09:26:45 AM »

it makes even less sense to ship all that stuff over to USA or europe to sit on the shelves.  ;)
look at microsofts surface tablet.

True...

I guess that having had to sell off EOS M cheap, they may be reluctant to repeat that when it probably hits the local bottom line.

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2013, 09:37:55 AM »
Maybe Canon are starting to realise that the Western market is completely different to the Asian market. In North America and Europe, mirrorless cameras seem to be bought by photography enthusiast or professionals, either to complement existing DSLR systems that they own, or to replace them. They are therefore looking for much more capable systems than Asian consumers, who seem to favour compact size and consumer orientated  features.

The questions are whether Canon is interested in developing EOS-M as a more enthusiast and pro orientated system and if so, whether they have missed the boat. I cannot answer the first part of that question, but I still think that Canon are not too late to reposition EOS-M in the Western markets. They have a massive installed user base of EOS users; if they can make an EOS-M that worked just like their DSLRs and worked well with EF mount lenses via their adaptor, then I still think they could have a winning system. The main factors that put me off buying into another manufacturer system are the cognitive dissonance of learning a whole new interface and using it alongside my Canon DSLRs and the difficulty of using them as proper backup bodies without losing features.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2013, 09:37:55 AM »

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2013, 09:40:20 AM »
They could be beta testing the damn thing on us Asians before shipping it elsewhere. We tend to be more forgiving.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »
I've commented on the EOS-M before and said that Canon USA doesn't believe that it is what Canon owners want, hence the dumping. People that want small body cameras in the USA and Europe have already moved or jumped to other manufacturers and Canon is too late to the market. Canon realize this and hence why the other EOS-M lens has never been made available in the USA. The branches of Canon in the USA and Europe have for one reason or another decided that their future in that market does not involve small body interchangable lens cameras, quite possibly because the race has already been run but also quite possibly because none of you (the Canon "club") believe in this format and thus didn't invest in it when it came out leading them to can it in your market.

dilbert

• View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M2 Gets Official
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2013, 09:53:30 AM »
I'll bet Canon USA is annoyed, unless they can get them on store shelves within a week or so. This announcement could interfere with Christmas sales of Rebels and 70D's.

No, it won't - or at least that what Canon USA believes and thus why it isn't being announced as official in the USA. I don't believe that Canon USA sees EOS-M as being suited to the American market.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2013, 09:53:50 AM »
Maybe Canon are starting to realise that the Western market is completely different to the Asian market. In North America and Europe, mirrorless cameras seem to be bought by photography enthusiast or professionals, either to complement existing DSLR systems that they own, or to replace them. They are therefore looking for much more capable systems than Asian consumers, who seem to favour compact size and consumer orientated  features.

The questions are whether Canon is interested in developing EOS-M as a more enthusiast and pro orientated system and if so, whether they have missed the boat. I cannot answer the first part of that question, but I still think that Canon are not too late to reposition EOS-M in the Western markets. They have a massive installed user base of EOS users; if they can make an EOS-M that worked just like their DSLRs and worked well with EF mount lenses via their adaptor, then I still think they could have a winning system. The main factors that put me off buying into another manufacturer system are the cognitive dissonance of learning a whole new interface and using it alongside my Canon DSLRs and the difficulty of using them as proper backup bodies without losing features.
Definitely different markets and that's exactly what I love about my EOS M - it's an EOS.  The menus, functions, etc. are so familiar it makes using it so second nature.  I don't find the EOS M's "faults" too bad, but the familiar nature by far overcomes any issues I've had with it.  Would I love a high end M, though? Hell yeah!

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2013, 10:00:23 AM »
The branches of Canon in the USA and Europe have for one reason or another decided that their future in that market does not involve small body interchangable lens cameras, quite possibly because the race has already been run but also quite possibly because none of you (the Canon "club") believe in this format and thus didn't invest in it when it came out leading them to can it in your market.

well 80% of the ICL cameras are DSLR´s in 2013... so the market for mirroless is still small.
so the run has not even begun. and i guess canon will join in when it makes sense.

today you compete with all the m43 and co. stuff.... for what?
a small percentage of the market? high R&D cost but not much reward.
there is a though competition in the mirrorless market.
but which manufacturer makes a real profit?

people change from one brand to another quickly in the mirrorless realm.
because most have only 1 or 2 lenses anyway.
so the "run" is far from over.
canon can grab a great piece of the market whenever they choose to create a great mirrorless camera.
but today they are better of producing DSLR´s.

as customers we have EVF in mirrorless cameras that, at least i think so, still suck.
sure they are getting better and some offer neat gimmicks, still i prefer a FF viewfinder all day.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:09:06 AM by Lichtgestalt »

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2013, 10:07:22 AM »
For what I want to accomplish with it, the original M is just fine.  What I need is more lens options, particularly a compact telephoto.  I tend to use the M as a backup and a compact option while traveling when I don't want to take out the "big dog".  A compact telephoto would help me a lot, as I tend to bring my 70-300L along while traveling but only use it for a small percentage of my shots (I typically carry a 24-70 f/2.8 that sees all the action).
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2013, 10:07:22 AM »

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2013, 10:15:05 AM »

My assumption is that Canon (as many other large corporations) believes in statistics when it takes market decisions.

And judging by CIPA statistics primary mirrorless market is Japan (and Asia) where mirrorless hold about ~ 35% of "interchangeable lens cameras" market (the rest are DSLRs ~ 65%).

In Americas mirrorless is only 8-10% while DSLRs hold whole 90-92%.

So, what you see as "EOS M" and "EOS M2" are tiny cameras with minimalistic design that are targeted for Japan (in first place).

You may well be right.  Doesn't matter to me because it doesn't seem much improved over the first version, which I hated using, and because I'm generally not persuaded that tiny camera bodies are a useful vehicle for anything other than small lenses - which most EF & EF-S lenses aren't.  Over the past weekend you could (in the  US) buy a Rebel SL1, kit lens included, for c. $400; makes more sense to me (I bought one a month or two ago for $450).  For small size/weight, M43 still wins as far as I'm concerned.

Zlyden

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2013, 10:23:55 AM »
Did you read my entire post, because your "response" makes no sense?

Sorry, my post was not meant as any kind of 'personal remark' (someone could be offended by).

It was just a comment concerning this general topic "why EOS M2 was made and released as it is" (and incidentally  "why you do not have EF-M 11-22" in USA).

In short: "This is because Canon thinks that they are still able sell a lot of DSLRs on western markets. So, why to harm the market you dominate with your own mirrorless system?" (If statistics to be believed -- It's quite different in Japan, there Canon has to fight for marketshare not only with Nikon, but with Sony and Olympus too...)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:33:35 AM by Zlyden »
G7 | EOS M | 400D | 6D
EF: 50/1.8 II | 17-40 | 24-105 | 70-300DO / EF-S: 10-22 | 18-55 | 18-55 IS | Sigma 30/1.4 (old one) / EF-M: 11-22 | 18-55 | 22
I also own few Canon flashes, remotes, blends, bags, cases (including waterproof one) and even batteries! :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2013, 10:23:55 AM »