May 20, 2018, 06:17:34 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M2 Gets Official in Asia, Not Coming to the USA or Europe?  (Read 38985 times)

Woody

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Canon EOS M2 Gets Official in Asia, Not Coming to the USA or Europe?
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2013, 10:28:18 AM »
People that want small body cameras in the USA and Europe have already moved or jumped to other manufacturers and Canon is too late to the market. Canon realize this and hence why the other EOS-M lens has never been made available in the USA.

Wrong. (a) After severe price cut, the EOS M is selling well relative to other mirrorless cameras in the market, particularly the A7/A7R (b) In USA and Europe, DSLRs outsell mirrorless cams by 9.5:1 and 8.5:1 respectively, so there's no point in shipping mirrorless cameras to these continents now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2013, 10:28:18 AM »

kphoto99

• EOS 80D
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2013, 10:37:13 AM »
  I tend to use the M as a backup and a compact option while traveling

I don't think that Canon wants you to use the M as a backup, your backup "should" be a more expensive Canon camera.

PS
"you" is not you Dustin, it is a generic you  :)

Zv

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2013, 10:57:28 AM »
  I tend to use the M as a backup and a compact option while traveling

I don't think that Canon wants you to use the M as a backup, your backup "should" be a more expensive Canon camera.

PS
"you" is not you Dustin, it is a generic you  :)

Wether they want to or not, it makes a freakin awesome back up cam. If there was a tele prime in M flavor it would be so useful when shooting with your wide angle on your DSLR. The 22mm does a great job as a kinda normal to wide range when doing a lot of telephoto stuff. Basically means not having to carry 2 large DSLRs all the time.
Move along nothing to see here!

Zv

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2013, 11:06:54 AM »
¥65,798 for body only on amazon. Hmmm a little bit steep. Based on prev amazon.jp initial release prices I'd say in about three months it will go down by ¥10,000.
Move along nothing to see here!

preppyak

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2013, 11:21:26 AM »
(b) In USA and Europe, DSLRs outsell mirrorless cams by 9.5:1 and 8.5:1 respectively, so there's no point in shipping mirrorless cameras to these continents now.
I was gonna say, everywhere I've gone lately, I've seen a lot of D5200's and a lot of T4i/T5i's...cant name the last time I've seen someone rocking a mirrorless camera in public. And this is throughout the US; in Oregon and Washington, in DC, in WV, in the northeast, and even recently in the Everglades. EVERYONE in the Everglades had a DSLR, except for the one guy that had an SX50.

lw

• EOS 80D
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2013, 11:25:59 AM »
I declare the M2 the Canon ISON.

Everyone waiting with bated breath for the M2, only for it to never appear from behind the rising sun...

justsomedude

• EOS 6D Mark II
  • 5Dm4, 5Dm4, 5Dm3, 6Dm1
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2013, 11:29:52 AM »
DOA
AKPHOTO • Denver Photographer

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2013, 11:29:52 AM »

martini

• Canonflex
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2013, 11:30:41 AM »
Look Canon, no view finder and no flash? Fuck it, I'm going to have to buy my wife a Sony Nex 6. Damn it.

justsomedude

• EOS 6D Mark II
  • 5Dm4, 5Dm4, 5Dm3, 6Dm1
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2013, 11:36:04 AM »
Look Canon, no view finder and no flash? Fuck it, I'm going to have to buy my wife a Sony Nex 6. Damn it.

Why do you think I just bought a Fuji x100?  Canon is asleep at the wheel, and hopped up on Ambien and booze at the same time, while texting and driving.
AKPHOTO • Denver Photographer

moreorless

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Canon EOS M2 Gets Official
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2013, 11:48:57 AM »
If it had a viewfinder….

My guess is that we'll see something with one next year that maybe relaunched in the states.

1Zach1

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2013, 11:49:18 AM »
I wouldn't mind a nice EVF, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I do wish it had an articulated screen though. I like that they finally added WiFi control, not having a way to remotely trigger the M is annoying.
I see no point for a built in flash, but that's just my preference.

AlanK

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2013, 12:13:39 PM »
So the rumors were true! Interesting, although I'm not yet convinced. Looking forward to see how the auto focus performs.

EDIT:
The video shown here includes a comparison of EOS M vs EOS M2 AF speed. Seems a lot quicker

http://cweb.canon.jp/newsrelease/2013-12/pr-eos-m2.html

The video also shows that the screen doesn't blank out after taking a picture.  This is a welcome change that I wish could be upgraded on the M classic.

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2013, 12:26:11 PM »
(b) In USA and Europe, DSLRs outsell mirrorless cams by 9.5:1 and 8.5:1 respectively, so there's no point in shipping mirrorless cameras to these continents now.
I was gonna say, everywhere I've gone lately, I've seen a lot of D5200's and a lot of T4i/T5i's...cant name the last time I've seen someone rocking a mirrorless camera in public. And this is throughout the US; in Oregon and Washington, in DC, in WV, in the northeast, and even recently in the Everglades. EVERYONE in the Everglades had a DSLR, except for the one guy that had an SX50.

I'm surprised at the number of iPads I've seen lately. Even at the Grand Canyon, lots of people taking pictures with iPads. That may be the future of mirrorless.

I totally get Woody's point. Canon has been giving away the EOS M in the U.S. Why would they want to start giving away a new model?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2013, 12:26:11 PM »

Zlyden

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2013, 12:48:35 PM »

I'm surprised at the number of iPads I've seen lately. Even at the Grand Canyon, lots of people taking pictures with iPads. That may be the future of mirrorless.

iPads (and iPhones) is the future of 'compact cameras' :)

...and if you want to see a lot a weird cameras, you should go to vacation in some Asian country this Christmas.

Last year in Kota Kinabalu I actually was amazed by number of people carrying cameras that I saw before only on web-pictures -- like some 'brave new pink Pentax'. If you will see there someone with 5D3 + 70-200 + backpack full of other heavy lenses he probably will be from China (from some southern part like Sichuan, where they do assemble iPads, so it's not cool to carry them around), a guy with usual Canon/Nikon DSLR + kit lens bumping on his belly hanging on neck strap -- probably will be from Russia. It actually goes to: 'hey tourist, show me your camera and I will guess what country you are from'... :)
G7 | EOS M | 400D | 6D
EF: 50/1.8 II | 17-40 | 24-105 | 70-300DO / EF-S: 10-22 | 18-55 | 18-55 IS | Sigma 30/1.4 (old one) / EF-M: 11-22 | 18-55 | 22
I also own few Canon flashes, remotes, blends, bags, cases (including waterproof one) and even batteries! :)

zlatko

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2013, 01:00:34 PM »
So the rumors were true! Interesting, although I'm not yet convinced. Looking forward to see how the auto focus performs.

EDIT:
The video shown here includes a comparison of EOS M vs EOS M2 AF speed. Seems a lot quicker

http://cweb.canon.jp/newsrelease/2013-12/pr-eos-m2.html

The video also shows that the screen doesn't blank out after taking a picture.  This is a welcome change that I wish could be upgraded on the M classic.

The AF looks very good.  It looks like a fun camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2013, 01:00:34 PM »