February 18, 2018, 12:43:38 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M2 Gets Official in Asia, Not Coming to the USA or Europe?  (Read 35258 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Canon EOS M2 Gets Official in Asia, Not Coming to the USA or Europe?
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2013, 02:18:38 PM »
I guess the other regions figured this update was pretty weak and they'd rather just wait for the real deal with the 70D sensor and bumped up specs to make trying to give it a real go worthwhile.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2013, 02:18:38 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

Re: Canon EOS M2 Gets Official
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2013, 02:22:19 PM »

As for built in flash - no, that is a stupid idea. As an off camera flash junkie I fully support Canon's decision there! Use the hotshoe, that's what it's there for!!!!

not everyone always runs around with a flash, in particular when you are trying to be more compact as in this case, and having it for the odd shot where you suddenly could use a little fill or whatnot is a nice thing to have

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2013, 02:22:57 PM »

Well, think about it. Am I wrong?

yes!  ;D

facedodge

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2013, 03:00:30 PM »
According to the poorly translated website,

1 previous models that have been updated firmware Ver.2.0 or more comparison is "EOS M".

I think that that means the comparison is to the newer firmware update. Good news.

Famateur

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2013, 03:07:18 PM »
Look Canon, no view finder and no flash? F**k it, I'm going to have to buy my wife a Sony Nex 6. Damn it.

Why do you think I just bought a Fuji x100?  Canon is asleep at the wheel, and hopped up on Ambien and booze at the same time, while texting and driving.

It'll be fun to put these comments in a forum "time capsule" and then read them back in a few years. From the sound of them, Canon will be smoldering wreckage by then.

More than likely (in my opinion), Canon is making strategic, market-driven decisions that will help maintain its dominant position as an imaging solutions company. Such decisions will never please all segments of the market alike. It seems more probable to me that we're missing some key pieces of information that are driving Canon's product decisions than that management suddenly became drunk on profits and market share and are driving the company into the ground.

To those who think otherwise, you might consider A) Applying for a management position at Canon, or B) Buying stock in Nikon and Sony (should be a bargain right now). For the latter, you make your money on the "buy", right? Right?  ;)

Famateur

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2013, 03:12:10 PM »
I just wonder what is the purpose of rectangle with "EOS M2" on top of the camera (on left from hot-shoe, where "L" and "R" mics where on "EOS M")?

Is it something like "plastic cover for Wi-Fi antenna"?

At first, it looked like there's a USB symbol on it, so my guess would have been a flap to cover the USB port. I've never seen one on the top before, though, so on closer look, I think that's a focal plane symbol and the rectangle is just from assembly of that part of the body.

Any other guesses?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2013, 03:15:16 PM »
I like that they finally added WiFi control, not having a way to remotely trigger the M is annoying.

The RC-1, RC-5, and RC-6 IR remotes can all be used to trigger the EOS M remotely.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2013, 03:15:16 PM »

sdsr

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2013, 03:19:23 PM »
People that want small body cameras in the USA and Europe have already moved or jumped to other manufacturers and Canon is too late to the market. Canon realize this and hence why the other EOS-M lens has never been made available in the USA.

Wrong. (a) After severe price cut, the EOS M is selling well relative to other mirrorless cameras in the market, particularly the A7/A7R (b) In USA and Europe, DSLRs outsell mirrorless cams by 9.5:1 and 8.5:1 respectively, so there's no point in shipping mirrorless cameras to these continents now.

I don't think your posts are contradictory, despite your opening word - Canon arrived late with an overpriced, inferior product which didn't sell until they improved the focus speed and slashed the price dramatically.  How many here would have bought it without the price drop?  I certainly wouldn't have.  The new M won't have that price advantage any more. 

Do you (or anyone else) know how the M sells in Asia relative to other mirrorless cameras before vs after the price drop (assuming there was a comparable price drop there)?  It's unclear what its appeal would be to anyone relative to the competition (M43, Fuji, Sony etc.), unless you're someone with Canon lenses who doesn't want to jump ship, doesn't mind the extra bulk of using them on the M, and thinks the SL1 is too big.

Canon, of course, can say there's no point selling small mirrorless cameras in the West if it can make more money from selling dslrs there.  Those of us who like mirrorless (regardless of size) are lucky that several of the companies who specialize in them don't have that choice and, instead of retreating, seem instead (perhaps foolishly) to be trying even harder (much harder than Canon and Nikon, it seems) to make their mirrorless bodies even more appealing.  They're the only new cameras released this year that have grabbed my interest, at any rate.  (If one of Canon's rumored new FF cameras happened to be mirrorless (big would be fine with me) and with in-body IS, I would happily buy one, but it doesn't seem likely.)

Proffarm

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2013, 03:24:47 PM »
 :'(

This is so photographically depressing... I'm going to go home today and stare at my little M and the 2 lenses and filters I have and think, 'What could have been..'

Then I'll file my divorce papers from a 10 year Canon relationship, and start flirting with Olympus, Panasonic and Fuji..

I just don't get it?! How do people not realize how freaking cool the mirrorless system is?! Why the heck would you WANT to walk around with a half ass DSLR (Rebel) that is big and bulky compared to an M or EP5, or GX7? I hike/Mtn bike  A LOT and that M has gone EVERYWHERE with me! My 40D just sat at home, collecting dust for like 5 years until I sold it.

SO STUPID CANON!!!!! (smashes things in office and cries like a spoiled baby...)

PerfectSavage

• EOS Rebel 300D
  • Shoot more, read blogs less...Just keep shooting.
    • PSP Tumblr (new site under development)
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2013, 03:26:38 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised, they've sold a TON of the SL-1s, but the original M was a bust here and pretty much everywhere except Asia.  What would sell MUCH better here in the US would be 2 more prime pancakes, perhaps a 24mm, 20mm or 35mm to sell alongside the SL-1.  Give me that SL-1 DSLR feature set and smaller EF mounts any day over purchasing an entirely separate system and lenses.
Canon 5D2,5D3,7D,7D2,C1002; Canon and Zeiss primes fanatic, 580IIs/550s, Broncolor and Elinchrom in studio and Elinchrom on location.  MF - PhaseOne Certified Professional.

noncho

• EOS 80D
    • NonchoILiev.com
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2013, 04:09:29 PM »
I was going to purchase EF-M 11-22 IS STM soon, but if the Canon don't want to make more lenses and leave the system with small enhancements just for Asian market I'm not quite sure...
Maybe it's time to look for another mirrorless system before I got too deep in hopeless system.

jebrady03

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2013, 04:34:21 PM »
I was going to purchase EF-M 11-22 IS STM soon, but if the Canon don't want to make more lenses and leave the system with small enhancements just for Asian market I'm not quite sure...
Maybe it's time to look for another mirrorless system before I got too deep in hopeless system.

Don't cut your nose off to spite your face. You'll not find a better UWA zoom than the 11-22, especially given the price. In fact, for most, the lens plus camera is cheaper than competing lenses alone.
Gear: 5D Mark IV, 5Ds, 135L, 85LII, 35LII, 100L, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 16-35/4L IS, Sigma 50mm Art, 24-105 IS STM, Canon 600 EX II-RT (x2), Yongnuo 600 EX RT-II (x3), ORLIT RoveLight 610 RT, and lots of modifiers

jamiemp

• Canonflex
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »

Don't cut your nose off to spite your face. You'll not find a better UWA zoom than the 11-22, especially given the price. In fact, for most, the lens plus camera is cheaper than competing lenses alone.

What's the price on the 11-22 you found? the ones I found were pretty expensive still...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »

Zv

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2013, 11:14:34 PM »
:'(

This is so photographically depressing... I'm going to go home today and stare at my little M and the 2 lenses and filters I have and think, 'What could have been..'

Then I'll file my divorce papers from a 10 year Canon relationship, and start flirting with Olympus, Panasonic and Fuji..

I just don't get it?! How do people not realize how freaking cool the mirrorless system is?! Why the heck would you WANT to walk around with a half ass DSLR (Rebel) that is big and bulky compared to an M or EP5, or GX7? I hike/Mtn bike  A LOT and that M has gone EVERYWHERE with me! My 40D just sat at home, collecting dust for like 5 years until I sold it.

SO STUPID CANON!!!!! (smashes things in office and cries like a spoiled baby...)

Why DSLR over ML? Let me spell it out for you.

E.R.G.O.N.O.M.I.C.S

;)
Move along nothing to see here!

Zlyden

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2013, 02:02:05 AM »
So why the big difference between Asia and the USA/Europe?

Well, (without being a racist) I suppose that:

1) Asian people are more fascinated by 'latest hi-tech things' and change/buy them more frequently than European and American consumers who prefer 'reliable long-time investments'.

2) Asian people like to travel abroad and use 'package' vacation type with a lot of organized excursions (e.g. a big bus full of tourists from Japan is a usual thing anywhere in the world), so they like light travel cameras.

3) Americans and Europeans, on the other side, either prefer to work in their sweatshop offices all year round (without going to other countries until they are 65 and too old to work) making only pictures of their barbecues, dogs and kids, or travel by car to places nearby, or have sea & beach family type vacations -- in all these cases camera size and weight do not matter that much.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 02:05:45 AM by Zlyden »
G7 | EOS M | 400D | 6D
EF: 50/1.8 II | 17-40 | 24-105 | 70-300DO / EF-S: 10-22 | 18-55 | 18-55 IS | Sigma 30/1.4 (old one) / EF-M: 11-22 | 18-55 | 22
I also own few Canon flashes, remotes, blends, bags, cases (including waterproof one) and even batteries! :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2013, 02:02:05 AM »