September 30, 2014, 04:46:39 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M2 Not Coming to North America  (Read 13777 times)

arbitrage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M2 Not Coming to North America
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 07:38:34 PM »
Well I'm glad I picked up a Fuji XE-2 with kit lens and the 23 f/1.4   That kit puts the EOS M2 to shame and I chose the Fuji over the A7r, because I don't want giant lenses on my mirror less body.  I'll save my giant lenses for the 1DX.
7D\5D2\5D3\1D4\1DX\600II\300II\200-400Lw1.4TC\100-400\100L\24-105\17-40\24-70II\70-200f/2.8LISII\40pancake\Bower14f/2.8\Fuji XE-2\Fuji 18-55\Fuji23f/1.4\RRS34L\BH-55\and a bunch of other stuff.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 07:38:34 PM »

candc

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 07:59:36 PM »
Somebody tell metabones to hurry up and make a speedbooster/salesbooster for the m!

Act444

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 08:09:29 PM »
Sounds like it's only a minor upgrade anyway. It doesn't even have the 70D's dual pixel technology, so no big loss as far as I'm concerned. I do have the original M.

BozillaNZ

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 08:19:06 PM »
So even though Canon currently offers about twelve EOS cameras and about 70 EOS lenses, and fantastic wireless flashes and other accessories, the introduction of this one little $600 camera at the bottom of the EOS line in Asia only makes you conclude that Canon will not be a "viable platform".  Because you are personally moving to a smaller format, you conclude that the entire EOS platform won't be "viable"?

No, that's not the only time Canon let users down. They just seem to stuck in the old sensor era and for several previously released products, I don't see any evidence that they will ever come up with a camera that has better sensor than last 2-3 generations, while the gap between them and the competition is widening - fast.

From current situation, I can envision that in 5 years time, other systems will have a FF sensor of 40MP no-AA sensor with 15-16 stops of DR and good ISO, while Canon still keeps cranking out the pathetic 18MP APS-C sensors. And I'm saying that with a high probability of it becoming the fact.

Sure, we can all fool ourselves to say that the 5D3 sensor is good enough. But for how long? How long can you fool yourself for?

It's again pathetic to see that the brilliant 24-70 II on 5D3 would only give you the worse quality photo as the Tammy on a D800E in terms of resolution only (forget about DR). Good glass being wasted.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/a-24-70mm-system-comparison
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:26:34 PM by BozillaNZ »
1Ds2,1Ds3,24L II,35L,85L II,EF 50 1.4
Tokina 16-28,24-70L II,70-200L IS II,1.4x II
www.flickr.com/photos/bozillanz/

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 08:20:35 PM »
Well I'm glad I picked up a Fuji XE-2 with kit lens and the 23 f/1.4   That kit puts the EOS M2 to shame and I chose the Fuji over the A7r, because I don't want giant lenses on my mirror less body.  I'll save my giant lenses for the 1DX.

Well at $1,399 for a body and kit lens and $899 for the additional lens I would hope it would put my $299 kit to shame!
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

jebrady03

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 08:21:23 PM »

And you only spent $1900 more for it too!  Or, almost 6x as much!  Depending on your preference

zlatko

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 08:41:43 PM »
So even though Canon currently offers about twelve EOS cameras and about 70 EOS lenses, and fantastic wireless flashes and other accessories, the introduction of this one little $600 camera at the bottom of the EOS line in Asia only makes you conclude that Canon will not be a "viable platform".  Because you are personally moving to a smaller format, you conclude that the entire EOS platform won't be "viable"?

No, that's not the only time Canon let users down. They just seem to stuck in the old sensor era and for several previously released products, I don't see any evidence that they will ever come up with a camera that has better sensor than last 2-3 generations, while the gap between them and the competition is widening - fast.

From current situation, I can envision that in 5 years time, other systems will have a FF sensor of 40MP no-AA sensor with 15-16 stops of DR and good ISO, while Canon still keeps cranking out the pathetic 18MP APS-C sensors. And I'm saying that with a high probability of it becoming the fact.

Sure, we can all fool ourselves to say that the 5D3 sensor is good enough. But for how long? How long can you fool yourself for?

It's again pathetic to see that the brilliant 24-70 II on 5D3 would only give you the same quality (or lower) photo as the Tammy on a D800E in terms of resolution only (forget about DR). Good glass being wasted.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/a-24-70mm-system-comparison

The 5D3 and its sensor are more than good enough.  It does a great job for some of the best photographers in some of the most demanding situations.  Those photographers are no fools and neither are their clients or publishers.  Sure, the 5D3 sensor may not meet the standards of a few sensor critics in online forums, but for actual photography it is fantastic.  Canon sensors reached the point of "good enough" about 11 years ago when they were good enough to replace film cameras for many pro & amateur photographers.  Since then, they've been refined many times, especially for high ISO.  Of course they will continue to improve.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 08:41:43 PM »

pharp

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 08:57:17 PM »
Well at $1,399 for a body and kit lens and $899 for the additional lens I would hope it would put my $299 kit to shame!

No kidding!  ;D

candc

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 09:09:17 PM »
Its a different market here than in Asia and the m hasn't sold that well. That's understandable, the m is a bit underwhelming on its own with its native compliment of lenses compared to the competition but with a speed booster adapter option it would give canon users that have a bunch of ff lenses an option for a small mirrorless camera that they could not only use their ff lenses on but would give them ff coverage and a whole stop faster aperture. That seems like a hotcake seller to me, I would buy one for sure

candc

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 09:15:09 PM »
I would love to be able to use my 15mm fisheye on the m with a speed booster as a ff diagonal f/2 fisheye in a compact package

RobertP

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 09:24:31 PM »
Given that the original M flopped in the US, Canon may feel that the M2 is not attractive enough for the American market. I'm confident that the articulated screen and sensor from the 70D (or at least their technologies) will make it in to a premium mirrorless camera next year. Its just such an obvious step for Canon to take.

Their may be 1 more generation left in DSLRs but with EVFs offering features that OVFs can't the mirror's days are looking numbered.

BozillaNZ

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 09:36:17 PM »
The 5D3 and its sensor are more than good enough.  It does a great job for some of the best photographers in some of the most demanding situations.  Those photographers are no fools and neither are their clients or publishers.  Sure, the 5D3 sensor may not meet the standards of a few sensor critics in online forums, but for actual photography it is fantastic.  Canon sensors reached the point of "good enough" about 11 years ago when they were good enough to replace film cameras for many pro & amateur photographers.  Since then, they've been refined many times, especially for high ISO.  Of course they will continue to improve.

Problem is it's all about relative performance. We can argue that anything is enough for somebody, but right now here are better choices. 5D3 is more than enough for someone yes, and original 1Ds and 5D is more than enough for someone. Shall we just let the innovation die and stick to whatever we have 10 years ago? I don't like the thought of that.

The more Canon stagnate, the more unsatisfied it's user base will become. Sure you can 'convince yourself' but it's the same question of how long are you going to hold on to it while you see 'other guys' doing more and more thing that you can't.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:40:05 PM by BozillaNZ »
1Ds2,1Ds3,24L II,35L,85L II,EF 50 1.4
Tokina 16-28,24-70L II,70-200L IS II,1.4x II
www.flickr.com/photos/bozillanz/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 09:36:17 PM »

candc

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
Given that the original M flopped in the US, Canon may feel that the M2 is not attractive enough for the American market. I'm confident that the articulated screen and sensor from the 70D (or at least their technologies) will make it in to a premium mirrorless camera next year. Its just such an obvious step for Canon to take.

Their may be 1 more generation left in DSLRs but with EVFs offering features that OVFs can't the mirror's days are looking numbered.

I can envision a canon ff mirrorless big megapixel camera that has a crop mode like the d800 but it has an evf so the view changes to what you see is what you get instead of a red square in the ovf  of the d800. That's the best of both worlds

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 09:39:20 PM »
I certainly had hopes that Canon would go quite a bit farther with the M system, I own the current version, not a bad Camera, but not a good camera either when I look at what it needs to be a reasonably developed back up to my 1Dx & a possible replacement for my 5DMK III, the current M doesn't do it.

But the Image files aren't too bad from the current M, absence of a viewfinder is a big issue for me after having the current M, in day light the screen is almost useless.

So, my a7r arrived 3 days ago, still trying to work through the Menu system, not as bad as the Nikon System, but takes a while to work out.

Nice size, has a viewfinder, takes some getting used to but I like the viewfinder on a7r.

I was concerned after reading reports that the auto focus would be quite slow, but I'm using the a7r in dim lighting, very dim, and it focusses just fine quick & accurate. Files look very good to date but I'm yet to really put the is camera to the test considering the choices of Lens, well, make that choice, in Singapore the only Lens available is the Zeiss 35f/2.8, which is a lovely Lens, 55 arrives sometime late December.

Once I get a WA ( 15F/2.8 ) & a Macro ( 100f/2.8 ), I'll try & get the a7r into a Underwater housing, I have high hopes the a7r could replace my 5DMK III for underwater Imaging.

Like the Camera so far, has a load of the things I had hoped Canon might put into V2 of the M.

Image was shot with the M.

Thanks for the input regarding the Sony...I cannot buy one...but I am eagerly watching the development of all-things mirrorless.
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 09:39:20 PM »