August 01, 2014, 01:24:09 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M2 Not Coming to North America  (Read 12580 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon EOS M2 Not Coming to North America
« on: December 03, 2013, 03:45:32 PM »

From Canon USA

Myself and Bryan over at TDP were told by Canon USA contacts that there was “no¬†announcement¬†of the EOS M2 by Canon USA planned.” I also spoke with contacts in Norway and the UK, and both also said the same thing. I spoke earlier today with a contact at Canon Canada, and he hadn’t heard about the M2 until I mentioned it.

So it looks like the EOS M2 is going to be an Asia only product for the foreseeable future.

I was so bummed about the news I went and picked one of these up……..

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS M2 Not Coming to North America
« on: December 03, 2013, 03:45:32 PM »

jebrady03

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M2 Not Coming to North America
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 04:03:09 PM »
if they were going to announce it, say for instance after the new year, do you think they would tell you right now?

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 04:05:56 PM »
if they were going to announce it, say for instance after the new year, do you think they would tell you right now?
You'd think they would at least say "it will possibly come to the US".

But, the way Canon seems to do their leaks, they care a lot about making people think a product is coming to keep them from buying something else. The fact they just dropped this from nowhere and didnt mention a US presence makes me think it ain't coming to the US unless its a massive hit in Asia

jebrady03

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 04:10:25 PM »
What I'm getting at is, would these people even know? Realistically, no one knew anything truly specific about the launch of the M2 until yesterday?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 04:12:28 PM by jebrady03 »

skfla

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 04:27:43 PM »
was anyone here really excited about this anyway? Digic 5? AF speed 21/4 times faster than what, the original M speed-original w/ updated firmware speed? I think most here would just pass on this one & wait for either another clearinghouse sale or the next level up becoming available.  & given the SL1 sales, the general public may have done the same.  I am a little surprised by their limited lens offerings on this line though
still a 5D2 fan

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 04:33:09 PM »
For one thing, in the USA there is no way that an end to launched at $800 could compete with the current M priced $500 cheaper.  There seem to be quite a few of those in retail channels right now.

Much like the Rebel/xxxD line, this update is very incremental.  I don't think Canon believes many people will upgrade from one model year to the next at this consumer level of camera.  These annual refreshes seem intended more to keep the product fresh, as in not outdated, on the consumer market.  That motivation may be even more true in Asia.

I suspect (hope?) that when a version of the M with the 70D's sensor is released, Canon USA will bring that one to market.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

BozillaNZ

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 04:38:32 PM »
Is Canon fscking kidding? I can't see any meaningful difference between this camera and the previous one. Still no PDAF, no added controls, no onboard bounce-able flash, no EVF, no tilt screen, no nothing?! Oh yeah and the same old sh!t 18MP APS-C sensor with horrible DR and high ISO!

This is getting bored and I am so glad I started my small kit with the M43!

Canon, you are burning your customer's patience. And when that is gone, you will pay the price.

I started winding down my EF collection because I don't see Canon being a viable platform in 3-5 years anymore!

24L II is up for sale. Then the 16-35 II, sigh...

</rant>
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 04:42:20 PM by BozillaNZ »
Canon 1D (classic), 1Ds3, 16-35 II, 24-70 II, 70-200 IS II, 1.4x II, 24 II, S50
Gitzo GT2531, Markins TB21, Q10, RRS clamp system, Lee 100x150 filter system
www.flickr.com/photos/bozillanz/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 04:38:32 PM »

jrista

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 04:59:47 PM »
For one thing, in the USA there is no way that an end to launched at $800 could compete with the current M priced $500 cheaper.  There seem to be quite a few of those in retail channels right now.

Much like the Rebel/xxxD line, this update is very incremental.  I don't think Canon believes many people will upgrade from one model year to the next at this consumer level of camera.  These annual refreshes seem intended more to keep the product fresh, as in not outdated, on the consumer market.  That motivation may be even more true in Asia.

I suspect (hope?) that when a version of the M with the 70D's sensor is released, Canon USA will bring that one to market.

With Sony now offering FF mirrorless, I don't really think Canon can compete in the US market without something comparable...and something with a particular edge (like DPAF, or even QPAF.) I don't care much for the Sony brand, but they are certainly putting up a lot of competition. The piddly little old EOS-M2, priced at $800, doesn't stand a chance in the US. Maybe they will release the FF EOS-MX in 2015...with a 54mp sensor...
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

sailingsilkeborg

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 05:08:29 PM »
"Myself and Bryan... were told by Canon..."?

I don't like to be too nit-picky about grammar, since this site is supposed to be far more about photography and gear than it is about English, but... "Myself and Bryan..."? You've got to be kidding. How about, "Canon told Bryan and me..."?

mountain_drew

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 05:19:11 PM »
I have a pretty basic setup so I'll be getting rid of my stuff to jump to Sony too.

dufflover

• Rebel SL1
  • OH YEAH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 05:22:46 PM »
Canon, you are burning your customer's patience. And when that is gone, you will pay the price.
</rant>

Definitely agree, though the latter probably won't come true for a while if ever.
If they made the size reduction a priority (which does mean an articulating screen, flash and EVF might make way for that), they could have still at least done more with the insides, namely that sensor. At rumoured $600 it's going down the exact same path as the original M. Except not even available in other markets.

(Hopefully including the same clear out soon after at a price where it's actually competitive ...)
Hurry up Canon and do something with your sensors! :P

hiplnsdrftr

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 06:29:05 PM »
you... we're probably better off with a Panasonic GM1 or Ricoh GR anyways. I imagine that Olympus and Sony maybe sell a decent small camera as well?

I just recently wore out my GF1 and will likely buy a GR this week.

Oh yeah, and then there's all the stuff from Fuji...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 06:33:11 PM by hiplnsdrftr »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »
I certainly had hopes that Canon would go quite a bit farther with the M system, I own the current version, not a bad Camera, but not a good camera either when I look at what it needs to be a reasonably developed back up to my 1Dx & a possible replacement for my 5DMK III, the current M doesn't do it.

But the Image files aren't too bad from the current M, absence of a viewfinder is a big issue for me after having the current M, in day light the screen is almost useless.

So, my a7r arrived 3 days ago, still trying to work through the Menu system, not as bad as the Nikon System, but takes a while to work out.

Nice size, has a viewfinder, takes some getting used to but I like the viewfinder on a7r.

I was concerned after reading reports that the auto focus would be quite slow, but I'm using the a7r in dim lighting, very dim, and it focusses just fine quick & accurate. Files look very good to date but I'm yet to really put the is camera to the test considering the choices of Lens, well, make that choice, in Singapore the only Lens available is the Zeiss 35f/2.8, which is a lovely Lens, 55 arrives sometime late December.

Once I get a WA ( 15F/2.8 ) & a Macro ( 100f/2.8 ), I'll try & get the a7r into a Underwater housing, I have high hopes the a7r could replace my 5DMK III for underwater Imaging.

Like the Camera so far, has a load of the things I had hoped Canon might put into V2 of the M.

Image was shot with the M.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »

zlatko

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 07:04:06 PM »
Is Canon fscking kidding? I can't see any meaningful difference between this camera and the previous one. Still no PDAF, no added controls, no onboard bounce-able flash, no EVF, no tilt screen, no nothing?! Oh yeah and the same old sh!t 18MP APS-C sensor with horrible DR and high ISO!

This is getting bored and I am so glad I started my small kit with the M43!

I started winding down my EF collection because I don't see Canon being a viable platform in 3-5 years anymore!

24L II is up for sale. Then the 16-35 II, sigh...

</rant>

So even though Canon currently offers about twelve EOS cameras and about 70 EOS lenses, and fantastic wireless flashes and other accessories, the introduction of this one little $600 camera at the bottom of the EOS line in Asia only makes you conclude that Canon will not be a "viable platform".  Because you are personally moving to a smaller format, you conclude that the entire EOS platform won't be "viable"?

Ruined

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 07:23:34 PM »
Is this really a big surprise?  With the abysmal sales of the EOS M combined with the general poor sales of mirrorless, there is not much market to win in the US.  Further, Canon showed many signs of this ahead of time with the EOS M firesale plus the refusal to release the 11-22 lens...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 07:23:34 PM »