November 28, 2014, 04:41:34 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M2 Not Coming to North America  (Read 14985 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M2 Not Coming to North America
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2013, 12:59:29 AM »
No, it shows what cameras people are interested in. People are no longer as interested in looking at or reading about Canon cameras as they used to be.

At least for the past five days.   ::)

As I mentioned before, Canon used to dominate that top 10, usually 3 of the top 5 and 6 of the top 10.

Based on data from Canon and Nikon themselves, people are buying more Canon dSLRs.  If 'interest' doesn't translate to sales, who cares (well, we all know you do, at least as long as Canon is ranked lower on some sort of list, somewhere on the Internet).

The thing is, we don't know what the sales data is for any website other than Amazon and not everyone buys from or through Amazon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2013, 12:59:29 AM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2013, 12:59:51 AM »
What you don't see on Amazon is the buying habits of people outside the USA.

As opposed to the dpreview 'data' you provided, which doesn't show anyone buying anything anywhere.

No, it shows what cameras people are interested in. People are no longer as interested in looking at or reading about Canon cameras as they used to be.

Interested in in a five day span of time. Canon hasn't released anything in the last five days...so why would they be in that DPR list? When Canon releases something, especially something big, people will show interest.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2013, 01:08:28 AM »
Based on data from Canon and Nikon themselves, people are buying more Canon dSLRs.  If 'interest' doesn't translate to sales, who cares (well, we all know you do, at least as long as Canon is ranked lower on some sort of list, somewhere on the Internet).

The thing is, we don't know what the sales data is for any website other than Amazon and not everyone buys from or through Amazon.

Try reading Canon's and Nikon's quarterly reports, or if that's too difficult, just read that part in red one more time. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Woody

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2013, 01:26:06 AM »
Use the Amazon best sellers list. As of tonight, Canon has 13 of the top 20 best sellers. Nikon has 7.

Yes, that's where I normally visit for a rough gauge of interest level. And I usually take a peek once a week. Same goes for DPReview/Imaging Resource most-clicked cameras and BCNRanking.

All indicators show one CONSISTENT trend: dropping level of interest in Canon DSLRs. Point of reference? Just a couple of years ago, Canon DSLRs used to hog the various charts. Amazon bestselling DSLRs, BCNRanking, DPReview/Imaging Resource most clicked cameras etc etc. Even newly released cameras have great difficulties in dislodging the Canon DRebel or DRebel XT from the top of the most-clicked camera lists on DPReview/Imaging Resource.

It's true that Canon has not lost its lead in worldwide market shares for interchangeable cameras. But if the above trend persists and starts to grow in other parts of the world, Canon will surely lose their lead to Nikon. It's already happening in some parts of the world...

This is not exactly a bad thing. Canon will be forced to make some drastic improvements instead of plodding slowly along... ;)

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2013, 02:21:34 AM »
Use the Amazon best sellers list. As of tonight, Canon has 13 of the top 20 best sellers. Nikon has 7.

Yes, that's where I normally visit for a rough gauge of interest level. And I usually take a peek once a week. Same goes for DPReview/Imaging Resource most-clicked cameras and BCNRanking.

All indicators show one CONSISTENT trend: dropping level of interest in Canon DSLRs. Point of reference? Just a couple of years ago, Canon DSLRs used to hog the various charts. Amazon bestselling DSLRs, BCNRanking, DPReview/Imaging Resource most clicked cameras etc etc. Even newly released cameras have great difficulties in dislodging the Canon DRebel or DRebel XT from the top of the most-clicked camera lists on DPReview/Imaging Resource.

It's true that Canon has not lost its lead in worldwide market shares for interchangeable cameras. But if the above trend persists and starts to grow in other parts of the world, Canon will surely lose their lead to Nikon. It's already happening in some parts of the world...

This is not exactly a bad thing. Canon will be forced to make some drastic improvements instead of plodding slowly along... ;)

It was exactly a couple of years ago when Canon was paper releasing, or announcing the release of, the 5D III and 1D X. It is, therefor, not surprising that interest in Canon equipment began to peak around that time. Official releases came about a year later, which also coincides with peaking of interest in Canon equipment.

Other brands release on different schedules. Nikon seems to be releasing something all the time. Sony has had a few compelling releases lately. Therefor, it is again no surprise that interest in those brands is peaking now, or has sustained a moderately higher level of interest lately.

Canon has not had any major releases lately. The announcement of a white paint job on a preexisting camera doesn't count as a major "release", or even a minor one...it's non-interesting outside of the initial scope of the announcement. When Canon releases a 7D II, or the big mp camera, interest will once again peak, those cameras will be reviewed, and tested, and compared and discussed at great length. IQ and DR and megapixels will all become the heart of heated debates day in and day out...probably for the span of a year. After that, people will lose interest...and get back to more productive things...like making photographs with the 7D II they so hotly debated.

Brands of physical equipment exist in cyclical markets. They don't have the option of controversially eliminating discrete products and product releases in favor of perpetual improvement schemes for unreasonably priced, recurring, perpetual fees like Adobe and the rest of the software world. Every brand has it's ebb and flow, its peaks and luls, it's oscillations. Canon had their peak, and have entered a lul. They will have another peak in a year or two, and another, and another, ad inf.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:23:46 AM by jrista »

Woody

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2013, 03:41:18 AM »
Every brand has it's ebb and flow, its peaks and luls, it's oscillations. Canon had their peak, and have entered a lul. They will have another peak in a year or two, and another, and another, ad inf.

I know what you are saying and I wish that is the case, but clearly it is not.

When the DRebel and XT were released, they stayed on top of bestselling and most-clicked camera charts for as long as they were available. That is not happening now. Clearly, the Nikon D7100 and D3200 are NOT new releases, but they are generating more interest than Canon 70D and 700D/100D.

Anyway, let's see how Canon responds in 2014. I'm hoping for more breakthrough (like dual pixel AF) and breathtaking (like the Sony 24 MP APS-C sensor) products. But at the moment, I just want to purchase the 50 f/1.8 IS and 16-50 f/4 IS as soon as they are announced. :)

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2013, 04:10:02 AM »
Every brand has it's ebb and flow, its peaks and luls, it's oscillations. Canon had their peak, and have entered a lul. They will have another peak in a year or two, and another, and another, ad inf.

I know what you are saying and I wish that is the case, but clearly it is not.

When the DRebel and XT were released, they stayed on top of bestselling and most-clicked camera charts for as long as they were available. That is not happening now. Clearly, the Nikon D7100 and D3200 are NOT new releases, but they are generating more interest than Canon 70D and 700D/100D.

Anyway, let's see how Canon responds in 2014. I'm hoping for more breakthrough (like dual pixel AF) and breathtaking (like the Sony 24 MP APS-C sensor) products. But at the moment, I just want to purchase the 50 f/1.8 IS and 16-50 f/4 IS as soon as they are announced. :)

I totally agree about the D7100/D3200 vs. 70D/700D. I've mentioned it before, even in this thread...Canon's interim DSLR releases, as well as the EOS-M2, have lacked any "compelling" features. It's been that way for years...with yearly releases of Rebel cameras that differed in the most minute ways, all with "the same old damnable 18mp sensor", its to be expected that those cameras won't create a lot of interest. The 70D seems to have peaked interest with it's DPAF. (I'd also point out that it was only this year that Canon entry level DSLR sales started to level off or drop...so it isn't like this has been occurring for years...it is a VERY new development...and it is occuring alongside weak and weakening sales numbers for mirrorless cameras from Canon's competitors as well. There is clearly a significant market factor for this decline in sales, and I honestly don't think it has anything to do with competition or features...its fundamentally economic, particularly in Europe and the US, where the average wage for middle and upper middle class families has been plumeting, sucking up disposable income along with it, thanks to continued economic recession (people may be working, but they are working harder and earning far less on average.))

In general, though, I was thinking about Canon's major releases. The professional line, the xD series cameras. That is the true battleground, where the most significant and meaningful innovations are made, and which serve the most use. The xxxD and xxD lines from Canon, the Dxxxx and Dxxx lines from Nikon, and a number of Sony offerings fill the consumer niche. In that niche, every single camera on the market is leaps and bounds more capable than any novice or family photographer could possibly need. Competition in that segment seems almost moot.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2013, 04:10:02 AM »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2013, 10:13:35 AM »

As opposed to the dpreview 'data' you provided, which doesn't show anyone buying anything anywhere.

Interested in in a five day span of time. Canon hasn't released anything in the last five days...so why would they be in that DPR list? When Canon releases something, especially something big, people will show interest.

In the past, Canon was always well represented in the top 10 regardless of how recent the announcements were.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2013, 10:18:55 AM »
It was exactly a couple of years ago when Canon was paper releasing, or announcing the release of, the 5D III and 1D X. It is, therefor, not surprising that interest in Canon equipment began to peak around that time. Official releases came about a year later, which also coincides with peaking of interest in Canon equipment.

Canon seemed to peak sometime after the 5D Mark II's release and well before that of the 5D Mark III.

Maybe that camera has been such a hard act to follow up with or maybe trends are changing...

Brands of physical equipment exist in cyclical markets. They don't have the option of controversially eliminating discrete products and product releases in favor of perpetual improvement schemes for unreasonably priced, recurring, perpetual fees like Adobe and the rest of the software world. Every brand has it's ebb and flow, its peaks and luls, it's oscillations. Canon had their peak, and have entered a lul. They will have another peak in a year or two, and another, and another, ad inf.

Without wanting to be condescending, had you of been watching websites such as dpreview for longer then you'd know that Canon's "peak" was not short, rather it lasted some number of years, maybe even as many as 5 and that it spanned the entire gamut of Canon cameras.

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »
dilbert, are you trolling?

If not, one of the worst arguments I have ever read with most ridiculous "data" to back it up. lol.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2013, 10:26:29 AM »
Without wanting to be condescending, had you of been watching websites such as dpreview for longer then you'd know that Canon's "peak" was not short, rather it lasted some number of years, maybe even as many as 5 and that it spanned the entire gamut of Canon cameras.

So, dpreview suggests that more people are looking at other brands more often now, but the sales data show that more people are still buying Canon.   I guess that means they look at other brands, but don't like what they see…  Judging by the ratings on Amazon.com, it seems that people who choose Canon are much happier with their purchases, as well. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2013, 10:50:28 AM »
In the past, Canon was always well represented in the top 10 regardless of how recent the announcements were.

Is this something you keep data on, or is that just how you remember it?

Because if it's just your memory, it's more likely to be selective.

Look, the point that people consistently make here is that regardless of how a tiny fraction of tech-obsessed individuals may feel about what they perceive as Canon's "falling behind" their competition, there is zero evidence that this alleged technology gap has had any impact on sales. In fact, what evidence that is available points in exactly the opposite direction.

Canon's domination of the full frame market is probably the most significant market development out there. I know you don't like the Amazon best sellers, but they are the world's largest retailer and there simply isn't any other comparable source available. I would love it if B&H, Adorama, Digital Rev and others would publish their sales rankings, but they don't. So we have to go with what is available (and recognize that it is consistent with the sales figures reported by Canon and Nikon).

I just checked a few minutes ago. Canon's 5DIII body and their 6D kit are in the top 10; the 6D body and the 5DIII kit are in the top 20. You have to drop down to #39 this morning to find a Nikon full frame on the list (the DF). It's absolutely front-page news that a camera body that lists for more than $3,000 can be outselling $500 cameras. And, it's equally newsworthy that they are significantly outselling a newly released, highly anticipated and much-hyped camera.

Being disappointed or frustrated with a company is perfectly fine (although one shouldn't take it to such extremes). But trying to extrapolate some sort of death spiral for the company from your personal frustration when all evidence points in the opposite direction isn't rational.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2013, 04:26:12 PM »

You would need to back that up with actual data, because that is not what I remember.

I would also point out that currently, and for the last several days, the top four cameras on that list were all released recently, within the last few months. The average distribution of the rest is 2.3%. An average of 2.3% of searches are made for the top items on the list that are not very recently new cameras. Of ALL the cameras in the world, fully three are still Canon, and all were released some time ago. No matter how you slice it, Canon still has the majority representation on the DPR list. As they always have. Imagine how that list will look when Canon releases the 7D II. Imagine how it will look when the rumors about the 7D II start to get more solid. That major representation of 3/10 will jump...to 4/10, 5/10. When a major new camera from Canon hits the shelves, and people exit "waiting mode" and start evaluating which Canon camera to buy again, I'd bet Canon once again takes over the majority of that list...until the fervor dies out and people finish making their decisions. Then, well, then once again the list will be dominated by the most recent releases, from whatever brand is releasing.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 04:39:45 PM by jrista »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2013, 04:26:12 PM »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2013, 06:43:28 PM »

So, dpreview suggests that more people are looking at other brands more often now, but the sales data show that more people are still buying Canon.   I guess that means they look at other brands, but don't like what they see…  Judging by the ratings on Amazon.com, it seems that people who choose Canon are much happier with their purchases, as well.

The sales figures on Amazon.com do not reflect what is said about markets such as Asia where MILC has eaten up 35% of DSLR sales but it does reinforce Canon USA's decision not to bring EOS-M2 to the USA because its DSLRs sell well enough.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2013, 06:45:51 PM »
I just checked a few minutes ago. Canon's 5DIII body and their 6D kit are in the top 10; the 6D body and the 5DIII kit are in the top 20. You have to drop down to #39 this morning to find a Nikon full frame on the list (the DF). It's absolutely front-page news that a camera body that lists for more than $3,000 can be outselling $500 cameras. And, it's equally newsworthy that they are significantly outselling a newly released, highly anticipated and much-hyped camera.

Not really. The Nikon Df is IMHO a mistake. A desperate mistake.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2013, 06:45:51 PM »