June 19, 2018, 05:11:54 AM

Author Topic: The Unthinkable: Swapped out 5D3 for 6D  (Read 117373 times)

libertyranger

• Canonflex
Re: The Unthinkable: Swapped out 5D3 for 6D
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2013, 09:30:13 PM »
Had a 5D Mark III for most of this year, but had to sell it for some unforseen medical expenses.  I've been using my old T3i for some time, but greatly missed the full frame.  With all the holiday sales going on, I bought a 6D with a 24-70 mark ii.  It will be in on Monday, so I'll be interested in seeing how much of the features from the 5D I'll miss.  Will post an update soon :)

Just depends on what you shoot and what your habits are. My hunch is that you'll probably be quite pleased if you are okay with the AF system difference (which using the rebel for a while should soften the shock of  ;D).

I'm thinking so.  I mainly shoot family portraits and photos of my family.  I just hope I didn't spoil myself with that 5D autofocus.  If I miss it terribly, I'm sure I'll upgrade one day.  But I was able to get the new 24-70 with the price difference in bodies.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2013, 09:30:13 PM »

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #151 on: December 13, 2013, 10:23:48 AM »
Had a 5D Mark III for most of this year, but had to sell it for some unforseen medical expenses.  I've been using my old T3i for some time, but greatly missed the full frame.  With all the holiday sales going on, I bought a 6D with a 24-70 mark ii.  It will be in on Monday, so I'll be interested in seeing how much of the features from the 5D I'll miss.  Will post an update soon :)

Just depends on what you shoot and what your habits are. My hunch is that you'll probably be quite pleased if you are okay with the AF system difference (which using the rebel for a while should soften the shock of  ;D).

I'm thinking so.  I mainly shoot family portraits and photos of my family.  I just hope I didn't spoil myself with that 5D autofocus.  If I miss it terribly, I'm sure I'll upgrade one day.  But I was able to get the new 24-70 with the price difference in bodies.

Gulp!  Wow!  That is pretty huge.  I should pause and ask, "which new 24-70"?  The f/4L IS, I say, "nice".  If you are talking the 24-70LII, that is a big "Wow!"
6D x 2 | 80D | 70D | EOS-M3 w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + 55-200 STM + Rokinon 12MM F/2 + EF Adapter| Tamron 15-30 VC | EF-S 24mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | Tamron 45mm VC | Zeiss 50 | 50 STM | 100L | 135L | Tamron 70-200 VC | 100-400L II | Legacy Glass

CarlTN

« Reply #152 on: December 15, 2013, 03:25:42 AM »
Love the fact that the dSLR's these days are so awesome (And that even entry level and pro-sumer level cameras perform so well)  that people can spend page after page debating which one is a split hair better.   :D :D :D

Nobody said you had to read any of this...

I was not picking on anyone here.  Just commenting how we live at an exciting time for camera tech.  These cameras are truly awesome and it is great that spirited discussions like this are able to happen when comparing one great camera to another. 

In other words... What the hell is your problem?

I don't have a problem, but I fail to see that you have a point to make.

CarlTN

« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2013, 03:33:58 AM »

If all you shoot is your family and it's still portraiture, the 6D will be SUPERIOR to the 5D3 for most scenarios.  Not all, but most.  If you mostly shoot portraits of your family as they are racing cars or riding rollercoasters, then you might miss the 5D3.  If they're sitting still...then if you do miss the 5D3, you might just be doing something wrong.  If you shoot these portraits with an array of strobes in a dimly lit room with low continuous light on the subjects, and you're constantly moving in and out (fashion photog style) with a 50 or 85mm f/1.2, and you always use the outer AF points...and you never manually focus an f/1.4 or f/1.2 lens...then you might miss the 5D3.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2013, 03:47:40 AM »
If all you shoot is your family and it's still portraiture, the 6D will be SUPERIOR to the 5D3 for most scenarios.  Not all, but most.

Oh my, I won't get into an argument with you, but this is sooooo unreasonable - with a faster lens like f2.8 which you'll often use for portraiture, the 6d's center point is non-cross, meaning you carefully have to focus on an appropriate contrast part or you'll get af (micro)-misses. The bit of 6d less noise (if any) certainly doesn't compensate for that.

CarlTN

« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2013, 04:16:13 AM »
If all you shoot is your family and it's still portraiture, the 6D will be SUPERIOR to the 5D3 for most scenarios.  Not all, but most.

Oh my, I won't get into an argument with you, but this is sooooo unreasonable - with a faster lens like f2.8 which you'll often use for portraiture, the 6d's center point is non-cross, meaning you carefully have to focus on an appropriate contrast part or you'll get af (micro)-misses. The bit of 6d less noise (if any) certainly doesn't compensate for that.

The only time I got center point misses in any light, was in servo mode with my 135 f/2.  In single shot mode, no misses with center point, and few with all points active.  Are you shooting portaits in servo mode?

Marsu42

• Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2013, 04:22:47 AM »
In single shot mode, no misses with center point, and few with all points active.

Well, I admit it, you're a photo wiz because from what I read generations of 5d2 shooters had the same problem I'm experiencing ... note that I'm talking about micro-misses with a f2.8 lens here like on the eyes, not about "well, this looks fine" zoomed out on the camera display.

Are you shooting portaits in servo mode?

Hey, that's certainly a novel idea, I should try it some time :->

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2013, 04:22:47 AM »

CarlTN

« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2013, 04:31:05 AM »
In single shot mode, no misses with center point, and few with all points active.

Well, I admit it, you're a photo wiz because from what I read generations of 5d2 shooters had the same problem I'm experiencing ... note that I'm talking about micro-misses with a f2.8 lens here like on the eyes, not about "well, this looks fine" zoomed out on the camera display.

Are you shooting portaits in servo mode?

Hey, that's certainly a novel idea, I should try it some time :->

I know that you know, that I'm not talking "hey it's ok when viewed at display sizes".

Like I said, it's either you, or your lens...or both (or perhaps the AF sensor, some seem to have been faulty in the 6D).  Certainly specific lenses can have issues with the 6D, no doubt about that.  I just received my new 70-300L, and it seems to autofocus slower than my good old 70-200 f/4 (non IS).  Of course it doesn't have a focus range limiter like the 70-200, so that's a factor.  In low light though, the 70-300 has a definite problem hitting focus at all (with single shot center point), at least at 300mm.  By comparison, the 70-200, even at 200mm (of course it's f/4 vs f/5.0)...it can autofocus better than anything else I've tried.  Even with my Sigma 120-400, the 6D can autofocus with center point/single shot, on things I couldn't even see with my eyes through the viewfinder...Of course it didn't do it fast, it took a second or so.  But that was at 400mm and f/5.6...and that lens is quite un-contrasty at the long end.  At under 250mm it's got quite a bit of contrast.

Marsu42

• Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2013, 04:36:11 AM »
Certainly specific lenses can have issues with the 6D, no doubt about that.  I just received my new 70-300L, and it seems to autofocus slower than my good old 70-200 f/4 (non IS).

No, it's not me, it's the camera not having a full cross point @f2.8 which produces micro-misses on low-contrast targets if the camera has to fall back of the f5.6 cross lines.

But if you talk about the 70-300L/4-5.6 or 70-200L/4 you don't seem to know or recognize at all what I'm talking about, I've also got the 70-300L and of course it works fine on the 6d as it's using the center point as cross... I also cannot say I find it slow on the 6D as others have reported, but I admit I didn't do any real tests on this.

CarlTN

« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2013, 04:40:56 AM »
Certainly specific lenses can have issues with the 6D, no doubt about that.  I just received my new 70-300L, and it seems to autofocus slower than my good old 70-200 f/4 (non IS).

No, it's not me, it's the camera not having a full cross point @f2.8 which produces micro-misses on low-contrast targets if the camera has to fall back of the f5.6 cross lines.

But if you talk about the 70-300L/4-5.6 or 70-200L/4 you don't seem to know or recognize at all what I'm talking about, I've also got the 70-300L and of course it works fine on the 6d as it's using the center point as cross... I also cannot say I find it slow on the 6D as others have reported, but I admit I didn't do any real tests on this.

You're right then, I don't see why the center point isn't a "full cross point" at f/2.8.  I thought it was.  Or do you mean it's not a "double cross" point?  The 5D2 didn't have any double cross points either, did it?  The AF sensor in the 6D is an evolution of the 5D2's AF sensor...with a superior light sensitive center point.  It's not a double cross...Are you saying somehow the 5D2's AF sensor had several f/2.8 cross points, or that any of them were double crosses?  If true, I did not know that...

Marsu42

• Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2013, 04:55:42 AM »
You're right then, I don't see why the center point isn't a "full cross point" at f/2.8.  I thought it was.

Bin-go! The 6d af is about the same as 5d2 with some of the "invisible" points converted to selectable points and some other points dropped. Both cameras do. not. have. a. full. center. cross. point... it's just an overlay line @f2.8, and when this fails to lock it falls back to the cross point at only f5.6 precision, meaning you will get micro-misses with a fast lens.

Unfortunately, the strange 5d2/6d af idea is *not* a double cross (cross f2.8, 45-degree cross overlay f5.6) as just about on every other camera, Rebels to 5d3. If the 6d *would* have just *one* double cross, I'd be completely sold and never complain again ... but with a f2.8 lens you realize there is an actual problem.

CarlTN

« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2013, 05:03:28 AM »
You're right then, I don't see why the center point isn't a "full cross point" at f/2.8.  I thought it was.

Bin-go! The 6d af is about the same as 5d2 with some of the "invisible" points converted to selectable points and some other points dropped. Both cameras do. not. have. a. full. center. cross. point... it's just an overlay line @f2.8, and when this fails to lock it falls back to the cross point at only f5.6 precision, meaning you will get micro-misses with a fast lens.

Unfortunately, the strange 5d2/6d af idea is *not* a double cross (cross f2.8, 45-degree cross overlay f5.6) as just about on every other camera, Rebels to 5d3. If the 6d *would* have just *one* double cross, I'd be completely sold and never complain again ... but with a f2.8 lens you realize there is an actual problem.

What's the difference between an "overlay line" and a "cross"?  You're saying one of the lines of the cross is larger than the other?  One is an f/2.8 line, the other an f/5.6 line?  And they're at 90 degrees from each other, and cross at a point?

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2013, 11:06:50 AM »

Agreed. It is these kinds of comments, that the 6D is superior to the 5D III "for most scenarios", that is so wrong. The 6D is superior "technically, in a FEW areas", but in EVERY respect and in every scenario, the 5D III is the superior camera that will perform superiorly and produce better images. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2013, 11:06:50 AM »

JohnDizzo15

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2013, 12:55:20 PM »

Agreed. It is these kinds of comments, that the 6D is superior to the 5D III "for most scenarios", that is so wrong. The 6D is superior "technically, in a FEW areas", but in EVERY respect and in every scenario, the 5D III is the superior camera that will perform superiorly and produce better images.

Definitely agreed regarding actually making images. I loved my 5d3 for the fact that it made getting the shot easier for me. I am definitely getting more misses and need to be much more mindful of the AF. Did a 4 hour shoot on Friday that would have definitely been easier with the 5D.

Results based on glass used:

24II was off a lot. Not completely. But definitely was not focusing critically most of the time. Yes, it has been run through FoCal with the new body.

24-70II was having a hard time capturing focus at all but was decent when it finally hit.

70-200II worked perfectly. But it was also solely used in the outdoor portion of the event

50L was performed on par with how it was on the 5D just based on memory (surprisingly).

8-15 fine as expected just due to the type of lens
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 01:34:59 PM by JohnDizzo15 »

tron

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #164 on: December 15, 2013, 03:15:27 PM »
Yesterday night I was able to take some pictures at a bar with almost no light. I had my 5D3 with 35mm 1.4L.
I was using an off center point and I was amazed that it was able to focus 80% of the time when I couldn't almost see anything with my eyes! I understand that I wasn't close to EV0 but still I was impressed (ISO was either  25K or 50K , f was set to 1.4, speed 80 to 100 and compensation was at +2/3 stop) OK I wasn't going for a masterpiece but for snapshots with lots of noise. The camera/lens combination delivered. I do not know if 6D could do that (off-center focus under these conditions)...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: December 15, 2013, 03:15:27 PM »