September 21, 2014, 12:28:01 AM

Author Topic: Adobe Extends Photoshop CC/Lightroom 5 $9.99/mth Deal  (Read 5974 times)

garyploski

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe Extends Photoshop CC/Lightroom 5 $9.99/mth Deal
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 11:39:04 AM »
I've seen a variety of responses and wonder if anyone can concretely answer the question: What happens to the applications after the 12 month period is up if the CC service is not renewed?

The last I understood the apps remain and will work though no new features will be added/updated/installed and the cloud storage space is reduced to 2GB. How far off the mark am I?

I spoke with an Adobe rep via chat and was told the following:

Selena: After 12 months if you will not renew your subscription you will not have access to use the software.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 11:39:04 AM »

Sabaki

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 11:48:09 AM »
So what software do we get exactly?

Is it the full version of Lightroom 5 and the full version of CS6?

This seems like a terrific deal to be hones
Canon 500D | 100mmL f/2.8 IS Macro | 24-70mmL f/2.8 mk II | 70-200mmL f/4.0 | 400mmL f/5.6 | 50mm f/1.8 | EF-S 10-22mm | Canon 600 RT |

lastcoyote

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 11:57:46 AM »
So what software do we get exactly?

Is it the full version of Lightroom 5 and the full version of CS6?

This seems like a terrific deal to be hones

no you'll be able to use Photoshop CC which is the latest and first post boxed version (ie. only ever been available in creative cloud). plus lightroom 5..which as far as i'm aware only comes in one version
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 11:59:33 AM by lastcoyote »
Canon 5D Mark III | BG-E11 | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 135 f2L | MP-E 65 f2.8 | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 11:59:51 AM »
imho it is a terrific deal IF there was some price protection beyond year 1, AND if your work depended on staying current with the latest, and greatest ,  AND you are not already invested in non-rental software AND you are always connected to a fast internet connection when you are working.  Offline work maybe possible I dont know -- synchronization issues notwithstanding...

garyploski

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 12:02:46 PM »
imho it is a terrific deal IF there was some price protection beyond year 1, AND if your work depended on staying current with the latest, and greatest ,  AND you are not already invested in non-rental software AND you are always connected to a fast internet connection when you are working.  Offline work maybe possible I dont know -- synchronization issues notwithstanding...

Nailed it.

The lack of price protection is the nail in the coffin, IMHO.

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 12:06:09 PM »
COME ON ADOBE! ... there are people living in other parts of the world who also want these deals ... provide these deals to us third world country folk
Just fill it our as you were in a different contry
Will not work, as one has to pay online and when they see the card in not from USA, it will be automatically declined.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 12:18:10 PM »
As I understand it..if you quit paying for CC, at some point your applications will cease to function completely and you will not be able to use PS or LR (cc versions) anymore to open or manipulate your files.

what happens if you want to do PP work while on a long flight for example, or otherwise off the grid?

You should be fine for a long flight, or a few weeks without having internet. It might be up to 30-days, but the software does periodically require an internet connection to phone home and check that it is indeed authorized to continue to run.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if the cracking community already had patched the phone home authentication requirements out of the software. I haven't looked around though, so I'm not sure of that.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 12:18:10 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 12:34:54 PM »
As I understand it..if you quit paying for CC, at some point your applications will cease to function completely and you will not be able to use PS or LR (cc versions) anymore to open or manipulate your files.

what happens if you want to do PP work while on a long flight for example, or otherwise off the grid?

You should be fine for a long flight, or a few weeks without having internet. It might be up to 30-days, but the software does periodically require an internet connection to phone home and check that it is indeed authorized to continue to run.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if the cracking community already had patched the phone home authentication requirements out of the software. I haven't looked around though, so I'm not sure of that.

As I understand it, the crack for the CC applications pretty much came out about the same day as CC was released. I think I read that it happened that fast.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 01:01:45 PM »

As I understand it, the crack for the CC applications pretty much came out about the same day as CC was released. I think I read that it happened that fast.

Heh, that's even faster than I thought.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

dppaskewitz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 01:02:20 PM »

Nailed it.

The lack of price protection is the nail in the coffin, IMHO.

This is what the Adobe folk (i.e., Julieanne Kost) is saying about the program cost in her Adobe blog:

By Julie - 11:11 AM on November 21, 2013 Reply
What is the difference between this offer and the ongoing offer for those of us who own a previous version of CS? I thought the $9.99/mo price was
fixed forever on the offer for those that own a previous version?
By Julieanne Kost - 12:14 PM on November 21, 2013 Reply
The difference is that this is a limited time offer for those who do not have a copy of Photoshop CS3 or newer.
For both offers, Photoshop. $9.99 is *the* price – not a first year promo – so the price won’t go up to $19.99
after a year. All the memberships
carry that disclaimer because we can’t say the price won’t ever go up in the future to account for things like inflation. We also can’t say the price
won’t go down in the future either. For example, Lightroom’s price was cut in half between Lightroom 3 and 4 – and Photoshop’s price has gone
both up and down over its 23 year history.

In the face of this, I can see Adobe increasing the monthly cost to keep up with inflation, but I don't see them making a wholesale, substantial increase.

I tend to agree with the previous comment that Adobe hasn't had as many signups as they wanted, and thus are extending the deal.  And, as one person commented above, I suspect that this program may indeed become the new normal for PS & LR licensing cost.

I mentioned in an earlier thread that I was going to bite the bullet and sign up for the program.  I have now done so.  My reasoning is that I can keep current on LR (when I signed onto the program, I had not yet upgraded from LR4 to LR5) plus acquire the right to use PS (which I did not own - saved me from purchasing a new copy of Elements for edits that can't be done in LR).  So yes, the cost is more than simply upgrading LR, but gives me access to PS which I would not otherwise be able to afford. 

I recognize that if I want to get off the software rental roller coaster at some point, I will need to at least purchase the then current version of LR plus whatever then makes sense for editing outside LR.  I don't know what that cost will be, but can evaluate options at the time.  (Of course, if LR is no longer available for purchase, then I am screwed because I won't be able to go back to LR4, which I own).

For those who say that there is no certainty to the cost of the rental program over an extended timeline, I observe that the same is true for the ultimate need to upgrade Adobe programs currently owned (e.g., LR 4 or 5 and PS CS6).  At some point, the lack of support for those products will mean that an upgrade will be necessary.  In the case of LR, presumably a boxed/download version will still be available (although, as noted above, I recognize that even that is not clear).  In the case of PS, as I understand it, if you need to upgrade you will be stuck with signing onto Creative Cloud under whatever conditions Adobe is then imposing.  So, in the long run, the rental model may provide more certainty than the "keep using what I own" model.

As some on this forum often say:  "Just my 2 cents."

5Dc; 6D; M; several lenses.  Enthusiast.

Flemming

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 01:15:33 PM »
COME ON ADOBE! ... there are people living in other parts of the world who also want these deals ... provide these deals to us third world country folk
Just fill it our as you were in a different contry
Will not work, as one has to pay online and when they see the card in not from USA, it will be automatically declined.

It is the same in Denmark (in the UK its cheaper but it keeps changing me back to Danish prices at checkout) and it is the reason I will not go for it. I know localisation (language versions) cost Adobe additional effort but I do not want my software in Danish so let me buy the English version at the same prices as the US. The price difference is 66%. The VAT in Europe is only 23% (Adobe has Europe HQ in Ireland where VAT is 23%).

I am disgusted.

/Flemming

Otara

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 05:04:19 PM »
As a non-USian early adopter, getting a weeks late letter saying Ive been hacked, getting nada othe than a compulsory PW change, then seeing this deal only apply to new customers in the US, I cant say Im overly impressed.

It was still cheaper than buying the old version in Australia, but talk about the lustre being gone.

Otara

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 05:20:59 PM »
At this price point I think they are going to get many people who never stepped up and paid them in the first place. Forward pricing is always tricky. I work for a service provider and companies always want to know about this topic. As long as we are not gouged on ago forward basis I am quite happy to pay $9.99/Mo to remain current with their photography suite.

For those of you in different markets (I am in Canada) I am sorry to hear they are jacking you on the monthly.

I think the initial $20 per app was too steep personally...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 05:20:59 PM »

m

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 05:29:16 PM »
It would be worth it, if the updates were worth it.
But I don't see that happening.

nebugeater

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 06:57:41 PM »
So, anyone have an answer to this?

If I subscribe to CC and have LR4. but have not had Photoshop can I use the CC Photoshop with my LR4 for a while without using LR5?  This would be some insurance that my catalog would not be transformed to LR5 so that I could not go back if I chose to stop the subscription.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 06:57:41 PM »