November 27, 2014, 07:24:00 PM

Author Topic: Adobe Extends Photoshop CC/Lightroom 5 $9.99/mth Deal  (Read 6602 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe Extends Photoshop CC/Lightroom 5 $9.99/mth Deal
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 07:42:51 PM »
" I’m assuming the extension is due to the positive response to the pricing and requirements."

or perhaps desperation

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 07:42:51 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 07:43:45 PM »
I've seen a variety of responses and wonder if anyone can concretely answer the question: What happens to the applications after the 12 month period is up if the CC service is not renewed?

The last I understood the apps remain and will work though no new features will be added/updated/installed and the cloud storage space is reduced to 2GB. How far off the mark am I?

far off the mark
the second you stop paying, the software goes into a locked out state

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 07:45:30 PM »
As I understand it..if you quit paying for CC, at some point your applications will cease to function completely and you will not be able to use PS or LR (cc versions) anymore to open or manipulate your files.

what happens if you want to do PP work while on a long flight for example, or otherwise off the grid?

it's ok, eventually you have to check in again, I'm not sure the timing, but i'm pretty sure it's loose enough to more than easily cover the length of any even slightly reasonably typical vacation

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 07:46:50 PM »
As I understand it..if you quit paying for CC, at some point your applications will cease to function completely and you will not be able to use PS or LR (cc versions) anymore to open or manipulate your files.

what happens if you want to do PP work while on a long flight for example, or otherwise off the grid?

You should be fine for a long flight, or a few weeks without having internet. It might be up to 30-days, but the software does periodically require an internet connection to phone home and check that it is indeed authorized to continue to run.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if the cracking community already had patched the phone home authentication requirements out of the software. I haven't looked around though, so I'm not sure of that.

I thought I saw someone say it got cracked the day it came out.

dppaskewitz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 08:22:02 PM »
So, anyone have an answer to this?

If I subscribe to CC and have LR4. but have not had Photoshop can I use the CC Photoshop with my LR4 for a while without using LR5?  This would be some insurance that my catalog would not be transformed to LR5 so that I could not go back if I chose to stop the subscription.

I suspect the answer is that your could continue to use LR4.  I was in the same situation but elected to go with the CC LR5.  Otherwise, I think you lose one of the main features of the program:  continuous upgrades as the software is "improved."  But, perhaps you will want to ask Adobe's resident expert:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2013/11/photoshop-photography-program-offer-ends-jan-2-2013-9am-pst.html

Just a thought.
5Dc; 6D; M; several lenses.  Enthusiast.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 10:17:24 PM »
"...After the first 12 months, we will automatically renew your contract based on the current price of the offering"

In Germany it's a little more expensive at 12,29 €/mth, limited to 12 months also.

A little more expensive? 12.29 is about $16.65 or 66% more expensive than the US version.

Yay for geographic price discrimination and that because you're not in the USA, you'll accept it and pay more.

Just say NO!

Its expensive to ship all those packets of electrons to Germany.  I also expect that there is a tax somewhere.

There is also tax in the US unless you live in a state with no income tax.  Mine comes to $10.80 / month after tax.

I might just sell my Lightroom 5 and the several versions of PS going back to 3.5.  That should net me enough to pay for a few years of service.

Flemming

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2013, 03:05:38 AM »
"...After the first 12 months, we will automatically renew your contract based on the current price of the offering"

In Germany it's a little more expensive at 12,29 €/mth, limited to 12 months also.

A little more expensive? 12.29 is about $16.65 or 66% more expensive than the US version.

Yay for geographic price discrimination and that because you're not in the USA, you'll accept it and pay more.

Just say NO!

Its expensive to ship all those packets of electrons to Germany.  I also expect that there is a tax somewhere.

There is also tax in the US unless you live in a state with no income tax.  Mine comes to $10.80 / month after tax.

I might just sell my Lightroom 5 and the several versions of PS going back to 3.5.  That should net me enough to pay for a few years of service.

The VAT for Adobe products are 23% so it does not explain the 66% difference in price for a download product. I bet Adobe will claim that localisation (different language versions) is expensive but Im only interested in English so I do not want to pay for that.

Well I hope they miss out on sales outside the US, then wise up and provide us with the same offer + VAT.

/Flemming

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2013, 03:05:38 AM »

leethecam

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2013, 04:57:30 AM »
I've seen a variety of responses and wonder if anyone can concretely answer the question: What happens to the applications after the 12 month period is up if the CC service is not renewed?

The last I understood the apps remain and will work though no new features will be added/updated/installed and the cloud storage space is reduced to 2GB. How far off the mark am I?

Alas no...   Once you stop paying you stop getting access to any software.  This is true if you've been renting for 1 year or if you've been paying in for 10 years (under the current arrangement).

I feel there is little incentive for Adobe to develop PS if they've a forced payment market.  In the past we paid up for upgrades when Adobe had done something worthy of our £££.  Now they get the money, even if they don't do an upgrade.  Just look at the measly upgrade offering from CS6 recently...! 

I bought PS6 as soon as I heard Adobe's plans for cloud and am glad I did.  I won't be going on a subscription system as long as PS6 works on my OS - which should be a while...!

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2013, 08:47:27 AM »
On the price protection issue again. ..There are two elements:

1.  When u purchase the software outright you are guaranteeing price protection for as long as you want to use the software which is typically years.  A one year contract is a very short time

2.  All the blogs and promises about price protection may be compelling but they don't change the terms and conditions which,  when combined with the time limited price offer, make it very clear that 10/mo is not the intended sustainable price. If 10/mo is the intended sustainable market price then they wouldn't offer the product at a higher price outside of the special promotion.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:52:44 AM by dlleno »

OmarSV11

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Omar Sierralta
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2013, 03:29:17 PM »
COME ON ADOBE! ... there are people living in other parts of the world who also want these deals ... provide these deals to us third world country folk

THIS!

adhocphotographer

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2013, 12:53:23 PM »
I was not convinced by the whole CC shenanigans having already got a LR license...  but in india it is 6 euro/month and even just for PS (which i don't own) I thought it was worth it...  so i jumped in and I can honestly say, i think it is a great service (so far). No regrets! It is the way it is going, you might as well embrace it!
5D MkIII & 100D
17-40L, 24L II, 24-105L, 70-200L, 500L II
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 01:07:59 PM »
COME ON ADOBE! ... there are people living in other parts of the world who also want these deals ... provide these deals to us third world country folk
Just fill it our as you were in a different contry
Will not work, as one has to pay online and when they see the card in not from USA, it will be automatically declined.
And, they also monitor the IP and reject connections from other countries.  You might be able to get around all of this by getting a US IP and a US credit card or cash card. 

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2013, 01:18:28 PM »

THIS!
???
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2013, 01:18:28 PM »

fbicking

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2013, 06:12:07 PM »
I have been against the cloud and still am in many ways but have been on this deal for a few months because of previous version of PS. While the price is good and for previous owners they are stating that our price is not a introductory price I still have concerns.

I have found one great use of the cloud that I would hate to give up. I create a lightroom cat in my cloud directory while on site. Then shoot tethered. Because I shoot dance many times the art director will ask for things at the shoot. I show them the change right in lightroom then when I get home it is already synced to my desktop. I just import the lightroom cat, copy the photos and don't have to redo any work. Just the other day this saved me about 5 hours of editing. I worked with a director for over five hours, editing making crops and such. Got home imported and kept going. Granted this could all be done with me owning the software and purchasing cloud space.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2013, 10:01:56 PM »
As before I will vote no with my wallet on subscription software.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2013, 10:01:56 PM »