October 20, 2014, 09:08:25 PM

Author Topic: Deep Sky Astrophotography (Gear Discussion)  (Read 32251 times)

Mr Bean

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Sky Astrophotography
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2014, 06:55:24 AM »
Oh, and I live on the outskirts of Melbourne, where the skies are pretty dark. This one was taken from my house.

Check how your light pollution is with this map:

https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/dlorenz/web/astronomy/lp2006/overlay/dark.html

Yellow and up are bad. Green is ok. You really want to be in blue or gray areas, where the skies are really dark. Trust me, I've experimented very recently with how much light pollution affects results. I live in a brighter yellow area bordering on an orange area in Denver, Colorado. LP is pretty bad over my house, even though it doesn't seem as much to my bare eyes. Green areas improve quite a bit. Blue areas are amazing, the number of stars increases considerably, and astrophotography gets much better.
Thanks for the link, that's really neat. Looks like I'm pale yellow, moving into green. It's not bad, considering I'm an hours drive from the City. Last October I went to Tasmania for a week. The areas around Cradle Mountain were stunning for clear night skies. I'll have to head back later this year :)

I've just downloaded DeepSkyStacker. I'll go out and try again, now that Orion is up :)
5D mk3 with grip, 300 f4 L, 100 IS Macro L, 50 f1.4, 50 f1.8, 40 f2.8 pancake, 35 f2, 1.4x TC III, Zeiss 15mm f2.8, 24 f1.4 L
580EX II, MT-24EX Macro Flash
EF 12mm and 25mm II Extension tubes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2014, 06:55:24 AM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2014, 06:57:58 AM »
Oh, and I live on the outskirts of Melbourne, where the skies are pretty dark. This one was taken from my house.

Check how your light pollution is with this map:

https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/dlorenz/web/astronomy/lp2006/overlay/dark.html

Yellow and up are bad. Green is ok. You really want to be in blue or gray areas, where the skies are really dark. Trust me, I've experimented very recently with how much light pollution affects results. I live in a brighter yellow area bordering on an orange area in Denver, Colorado. LP is pretty bad over my house, even though it doesn't seem as much to my bare eyes. Green areas improve quite a bit. Blue areas are amazing, the number of stars increases considerably, and astrophotography gets much better.
Thanks for the link, that's really neat. Looks like I'm pale yellow, moving into green. It's not bad, considering I'm an hours drive from the City. Last October I went to Tasmania for a week. The areas around Cradle Mountain were stunning for clear night skies. I'll have to head back later this year :)

I've just downloaded DeepSkyStacker. I'll go out and try again, now that Orion is up :)

Ah, that is really funny. Orion just set maybe an hour ago here. My favorite constellation...I don't have much time left to image it. I'm trying to find a good equatorial mount, an autoguider, and get some custom telescope rings built for my 600mm lens so I can use it as an apochromatic refracting telescope. I don't know if I'll find what I need before Orion sets for good...it is up near zenith by 8pm now....and directly overhead before 10pm...it's fading fast...

wearle

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2014, 12:09:13 PM »

Lovely, makes me wonder what a higher rez version of your image (or part of it) would look like...
Thanks!

Here's a link to a higher resolution image of the Galactic Dark Horse Nebula.

http://www.northwest-landscapes.com/images/deepsky/wide-field/big_E_5d2_200mm_1600x2400.jpg

Wade

wearle

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2014, 12:14:36 PM »

Wonderful! It just blows me away how many stars there are near and in the galactic core. The density is stunning!

So, with a modified 5D2, I assume that means the UV/IR cutoff filter (and maybe low pass filter) were removed?
Thanks!

You should check out the link to the higher resolution version I just posted.

I purchased the camera from Astro Hutech with Option T.  It includes a more astro-friendly bandpass filter.  It works very well for astrophotography.  You can still use it as a regular camera too if you create a custom white balance.

Wade

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2014, 04:07:44 PM »

Lovely, makes me wonder what a higher rez version of your image (or part of it) would look like...
Thanks!

Here's a link to a higher resolution image of the Galactic Dark Horse Nebula.

http://www.northwest-landscapes.com/images/deepsky/wide-field/big_E_5d2_200mm_1600x2400.jpg

Wade

Thanks very much, that is mind-blowing!!  Do you mind if I print one for myself?

wearle

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2014, 04:36:19 PM »
Thanks very much, that is mind-blowing!!  Do you mind if I print one for myself?

Thanks, there is definitely enough stars in the image to be mind-blowing.  :)

I would prefer you not to make a print from my image.  If you would like a print, I can make you one at a very reasonable cost, and it would look a lot better than what could be achieved with the jpeg version.  You can contact me privately if you like.

Wade

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2014, 04:39:54 PM »

Thanks, there is definitely enough stars in the image to be mind-blowing.  :)

I would prefer you not to make a print from my image.  If you would like a print, I can make you one at a very reasonable cost, and it would look a lot better than what could be achieved with the jpeg version.  You can contact me privately if you like.

Wade

Thanks Wade, I will contact you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2014, 04:39:54 PM »

wearle

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2014, 08:49:14 PM »
To all,

Here's a wide-field image of the North America Nebula.  This was taken with a modified Canon 5D2 and a Canon 200mm f/2.0L stopped down to f/4.0.  It is an integration of 24 four-minute exposures.  It was calibrated using six dark frames, twenty biases, and twenty flats.  All calibration and processing was done in PixInsight.

Thanks for looking,

Wade

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2014, 09:18:06 PM »
To all,

Here's a wide-field image of the North America Nebula.  This was taken with a modified Canon 5D2 and a Canon 200mm f/2.0L stopped down to f/4.0.  It is an integration of 24 four-minute exposures.  It was calibrated using six dark frames, twenty biases, and twenty flats.  All calibration and processing was done in PixInsight.

Thanks for looking,

Wade

How do you like PixInsight? I'm getting into deep sky AP now, and am in the process of buying a mount and software. I was planning to use something like Nebulosity or maybe BackyardEOS for control software, PHD for guiding, and Photoshop for processing. But Pixinsight seems pretty popular these days.

Canon1

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2014, 09:25:41 PM »
To all,

Thanks for looking,

Wade

Amazing.  Do you have a website?  I'd love to see more of your work.  TFS.

wearle

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2014, 12:55:59 AM »
How do you like PixInsight? I'm getting into deep sky AP now, and am in the process of buying a mount and software. I was planning to use something like Nebulosity or maybe BackyardEOS for control software, PHD for guiding, and Photoshop for processing. But Pixinsight seems pretty popular these days.
I believe PixInsight is one of the best astrophotography processing software packages out there.  I've been using it since the PixInsight LE days.  There is a steep learning curve; however, the PixInsight Forum is an awesome place to learn it and support is second to none. 

Wade

wearle

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2014, 01:02:28 AM »
Amazing.  Do you have a website?  I'd love to see more of your work.  TFS.
Thanks! 

I have two websites.  One is old, and I haven't updated it in a long time; however, it does allow viewing of higher resolution versions of my astrophotography images.

http://www.northwest-landscapes.com/

My new site has the most up-to-date images and includes the older material, but you can't view any images higher than 960 pixels in the long dimension.

http://thomaswearlephotography.smugmug.com/

Wade

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2014, 03:33:32 AM »
I believe PixInsight is one of the best astrophotography processing software packages out there.  I've been using it since the PixInsight LE days.  There is a steep learning curve; however, the PixInsight Forum is an awesome place to learn it and support is second to none. 

Wade

Yeah, I've heard it's a bit of an odd piece of software, but it seems it's becoming almost ubiquitous amongst astrophotographers for processing. Once I get a telescope, I'll give it a whirl.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2014, 03:33:32 AM »

scyrene

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2014, 06:44:48 PM »
To all,

Thanks for looking,

Wade

Very impressive. I've been looking to get that lens myself for this purpose (among others). From your description, I'm guessing it's a pretty dark site?
5D mark III, 50D, 300D, EOS-M; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, 24-105L, MP-E, 85L II, 100L macro, 500L IS II, EF-M 18-55; 1.4xIII, 2x III + 2xII extenders; 600EX-RT; EF-M--EF adaptor.
Former lenses include: 70-200L f/4 non-IS, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

wearle

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2014, 11:28:39 PM »

Very impressive. I've been looking to get that lens myself for this purpose (among others). From your description, I'm guessing it's a pretty dark site?

Thanks! 

It's a very dark site.  I measured it last Summer, and it was approaching 22.0 visual magnitudes per square arc-second.  The only problem is eastern Oregon.  It's rarely clear in the Winter.  The Summer is generally clear, but then your contending with smoke-filled skies from wildfires.  :(  When things do work out, I get about 6-8 opportunities a year during the New Moon window.

Wade

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2014, 11:28:39 PM »