July 28, 2014, 04:32:21 AM

Author Topic: Deep Sky Astrophotography (Gear Discussion)  (Read 27884 times)

jrista

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
Re: Deep Sky Astrophotography
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2014, 06:36:20 PM »
@Don & @Reinz: I'm really glad to hear you guys are interested in astrophotography. :) I think this is a GREAT time to get into the field...the technology we have today makes the cost of entry relatively low (if all you want to do is very wide field work, all you really need is a $800-$1000 mount, and your DSLR + lenses). If you find you really like it, high quality equipment can be purchased for only a few thousand dollars more, such as an astrograph OTA (like the AT8RC) and maybe an entry-level cooled astro CCD, the cheapest of which cost around $1500, about the same as a midrange DSLR.

The technology is pretty darn good, too. With an entry-level Atik CCD camera, people are producing high quality images that rival what NASA was getting a decade ago. Even highly advanced software packages for processing have become cheaper. It used to be that dedicated astro processing tools cost about $1000. Today, you can buy PixInsight, an extremely powerful processing system, for around $250.

Anyway, great time to be getting into astrophotography. I wish you guys the best, it's very fun (especially if your more technically minded, and enjoy a challenge.)
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2014, 06:36:20 PM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2014, 06:45:02 PM »
stop siding with him and kissing his ass.
He has helped me many times with advice on many subjects.... what have you done for me?

I didn't realize you felt such hostility towards me.  Do I have to do things for you in order to be treated with common decency?  I don't recall disrespecting you, your opinions, or your photography.  Sorry if you feel that way.

I feel no hostility towards you and I enjoy reading many of your posts and comments too.

I just wish you and Jrista wouldn't fight.. it detracts from everyone.

Sure seems that way to me, but you and him are old buddies, I guess I can understand that.  There are some people that will never get along.  I respect some of the work he does, and some of his knowledge, but I don't respect his hatred, anger, immaturity, antagonism, and self righteousness...he is deluded where I am concerned.  He keeps claiming I don't know him.  I say the same, he doesn't know me.  All we know is what we read on here, and from day one (over a year ago) he has been extremely hostile and insulting to me...sending me insulting private messages.  Nobody is perfect though.  But I will not be called a small and weak man, and then have someone else portray me as the instigator in that exchange (as you did), because I was not.  He started the name calling, and he got away with it.  The moderators like him, they don't like me.  I hope you can understand that.  I certainly know you would not tolerate it, if it were directed at you.  I refuse to be insulted for simply sharing my own experiences, by someone who has no experience with a product, yet types in caps as if to emphasize his pronouncements as "factual", and anyone who disagrees, is somehow in error.  John Rista is not a god. 

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2014, 07:00:32 PM »
@Don & @Reinz: I'm really glad to hear you guys are interested in astrophotography. :) I think this is a GREAT time to get into the field...the technology we have today makes the cost of entry relatively low (if all you want to do is very wide field work, all you really need is a $800-$1000 mount, and your DSLR + lenses). If you find you really like it, high quality equipment can be purchased for only a few thousand dollars more, such as an astrograph OTA (like the AT8RC) and maybe an entry-level cooled astro CCD, the cheapest of which cost around $1500, about the same as a midrange DSLR.

The technology is pretty darn good, too. With an entry-level Atik CCD camera, people are producing high quality images that rival what NASA was getting a decade ago. Even highly advanced software packages for processing have become cheaper. It used to be that dedicated astro processing tools cost about $1000. Today, you can buy PixInsight, an extremely powerful processing system, for around $250.

Anyway, great time to be getting into astrophotography. I wish you guys the best, it's very fun (especially if your more technically minded, and enjoy a challenge.)

I started with a really crappy 3" refractor telescope and got hooked!

I picked up a Celestron Advanced GT tracking mount... it's nice and solid and seems to track quite well. After lots of fiddling with aligning mounts, I ended up putting in some patio stones in the yard, made sure they were as level as possible, and marked where the tripod legs go... instant alignment! I have an 8" reflector telescope that I can use, or I have a mounting rail with a quick release camera mount. I have shot video of planets through the telescope, 2X barlow, and a 60D and run the images through Registax and I have just started to get interested in image stacking for nebulas...

The more I learn, the better the images get, and that just makes me want to try harder.

Backyard EOS seems like a perfect tool for capturing images of nebulas.... what software do you recommend for processing the images?

For planetary images, it's been recommended that I get a Celestron Neximage 5 CMOS Solar System Imager Camera to use instead of my DSLR... and I have been thinking of getting a 6D to replace my 60D for night skies... the 60D is real noisy!
The best camera is the one in your hands

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2014, 07:08:48 PM »
He has helped me many times with advice on many subjects.... what have you done for me?

I didn't realize you felt such hostility towards me.  Do I have to do things for you in order to be treated with common decency?  I don't recall disrespecting you, your opinions, or your photography.  Sorry if you feel that way.

I feel no hostility towards you and I enjoy reading many of your posts and comments too.

Sure seems that way to me, but you and him are old buddies, I guess I can understand that.  There are some people that will never get along.  I respect some of the work he does, and some of his knowledge, but I don't respect his hatred, anger, immaturity, antagonism, and self righteousness...he is deluded where I am concerned.  He keeps claiming I don't know him.  I say the same, he doesn't know me.  All we know is what we read on here, and from day one (over a year ago) he has been extremely hostile and insulting to me...sending me insulting private messages.  Nobody is perfect though.  But I will not be called a small and weak man, and then have someone else portray me as the instigator in that exchange (as you did), because I was not.  He started the name calling, and he got away with it.  The moderators like him, they don't like me.  I hope you can understand that.  I certainly know you would not tolerate it, if it were directed at you.  I refuse to be insulted for simply sharing my own experiences, by someone who has no experience with a product, yet types in caps as if to emphasize his pronouncements as "factual", and anyone who disagrees, is somehow in error.  John Rista is not a god.
I apologise for my comment. It was ill conceived and in poor taste. I hope we can move past it and be friends.
The best camera is the one in your hands

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2014, 07:17:23 PM »

I started with a really crappy 3" refractor telescope and got hooked!

I picked up a Celestron Advanced GT tracking mount... it's nice and solid and seems to track quite well. After lots of fiddling with aligning mounts, I ended up putting in some patio stones in the yard, made sure they were as level as possible, and marked where the tripod legs go... instant alignment! I have an 8" reflector telescope that I can use, or I have a mounting rail with a quick release camera mount. I have shot video of planets through the telescope, 2X barlow, and a 60D and run the images through Registax and I have just started to get interested in image stacking for nebulas...

The more I learn, the better the images get, and that just makes me want to try harder.

Ah! So your already into it. Great to hear! Is that a 60D, or the 60Da (just curious)?

I haven't tried planetary yet. I'm using my 600mm lens as a scope, and it isn't even remotely long enough to do planetary. Right now is pretty much the time for planets, though. At night, we have Jupiter, Mars, and Saturn all near their closest approaches to earth (I think Jupiter hit perigee in January, and Mars hits Perigee this month!)

I just picked up a new contract, and it should pay decently. I may pick up the AstroTech AT8RC or AT10RC, to get myself an actual OTA that I can use a barlow with, and get a planetary imager. I don't want to miss the opportunity we have right now with all three planets high in the sky during the night.

Backyard EOS seems like a perfect tool for capturing images of nebulas.... what software do you recommend for processing the images?

For processing, I recommend you start with Photoshop. You should pick up Carboni's Astronomy Tools actions, and maybe Annies Astro Actions. These are practically essential, as they take otherwise complex, multi-step operations to help you stretch, denoise, deblotch, and enhance your images, and makes them "one click", effectively. Some actions might pop up some standard photoshop tools for input, but for the most part, these two action sets make up the core of the astrophotographers toolbox. At least, for DSOs they do.

Now, you do planetary, and planetary generally needs some different processing. I haven't looked too deeply for planetary processing actions, but I'm sure there are some out there. I'd look around, see what you can find. Ready-made actions really make the processing go faster, and are well worth the $20, $30, $50 you have to spend on them.

For planetary images, it's been recommended that I get a Celestron Neximage 5 CMOS Solar System Imager Camera to use instead of my DSLR... and I have been thinking of getting a 6D to replace my 60D for night skies... the 60D is real noisy!

I do recommend getting a proper solar system imager. However, in my research, a lot of Celestron's equipment turns out to be bottom rung. They make excellent OTAs, and their CGE Pro mount is quite good, however their guide camera and neximage imagers should probably be avoided.

If you want a good planetary imager, I would look at QHY (http://qhyccd.com/en/left/page3/qhy5-ii-series/). They make a MUCH better imager, using Aptina sensors (high Q.E., high dynamic range). You could also look into the Starlight Xpress Lodestar (http://www.sxccd.com/lodestar-x2-autoguider). The Lodestar X2 was just announced, however it uses the new Sony ICX829 sensor, which is one of the most sensitive sensors on the market. The Lodestar has always been one of the most recommended guiding cameras, although it also works for planetary (IIRC)...the catch is that it is VERY expensive. Another option is the SBIG ST-i, which is also a guider and planetary camera. I like SBIG, Santa Barbara Instrument Group, good old "Made in the USA". Plus, I used to live very near Santa Barbara when I lived in California...kind of my old stomping grounds. The ST-i is more often used as an off-axis guider with the SBIG astro CCD cameras, but it is also a very good planetary imaging camera. It's cheaper than the Lodestar, but I think a little more expensive than the QHY.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 05, 2014, 12:53:56 AM »
I think it's wonderful when whomever has the expertice, shares it.  I'm learning a lot, for FREE. 

I think tactfulness is needed when being critical as no one likes to be put down and it's natural to feel slighted (although we shouldn't).  A reminder to myself! 

Jack 
6D  24-70 F4  70-200 F2.8 II  300 F2.8 II  1.4X III  2X III

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 05, 2014, 01:57:21 AM »

I apologise for my comment. It was ill conceived and in poor taste. I hope we can move past it and be friends.

Without a doubt, we can!

And I do apologize for responding in this thread in any case, as it was not all that necessary.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #171 on: April 05, 2014, 01:57:21 AM »

traingineer

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Sky Astrophotography (Gear Discussion)
« Reply #172 on: May 31, 2014, 03:23:46 PM »
Well IOptron has release a new/kewl mount for astrophotography:

Skyguider, It uses similar components from the ZEQ25GT, lightweight, has an autoguider port and it's price is great. :o

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:21:44 PM by traingineer »
7D | 24-70mm F2.8 I | 50mm F1.8 II | Sigma 105mm F2.8 OS

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 10, 2014, 09:23:35 PM »
Just read about this,

http://news.yale.edu/2014/07/10/hi-ho-astronomers-discover-seven-dwarf-galaxies

http://dunlap.utoronto.ca/instrumentation/dragonfly/

that should keep you Canon shooting astro guys happy for a bit..............
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

traingineer

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 10, 2014, 11:48:22 PM »
Just read about this,

http://news.yale.edu/2014/07/10/hi-ho-astronomers-discover-seven-dwarf-galaxies

http://dunlap.utoronto.ca/instrumentation/dragonfly/

that should keep you Canon shooting astro guys happy for a bit..............

Thanks PBD, that's some pretty cool news!  :D
7D | 24-70mm F2.8 I | 50mm F1.8 II | Sigma 105mm F2.8 OS

NancyP

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 16, 2014, 01:29:11 PM »
Deep sky astrophotography is a continual learning process, makes the geeky heart happy! All manner of post-processing computational strategies out there, lots of discussion (Cloudy Nights a worthy forum to follow, as are AP software user fora).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #175 on: July 16, 2014, 01:29:11 PM »