July 25, 2014, 12:27:25 PM

Author Topic: Patent: Canon EF 300-600 f/5.6 w/1.4x TC  (Read 19065 times)

jrista

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
Re: Patent: Canon EF 300-600 f/5.6 w/1.4x TC
« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2013, 11:27:23 AM »
Yes I would be all over a 1.7x TC too.  But I guess since Nikon has had one for a decade, Canon needs to wait another couple of decades before they bring one to market.  You know, just to make sure they get it right!

Oh, you mean like ultrasonic motors (Canon: 1987, Nikon: 1998)?
Or image stabilization in 35mm lenses (Canon: 1995, Nikon: 2000)?
Or electromagnetic aperture mechanisms (Canon: 1987, Nikon: 2008)?
How about full frame digital sensors (Canon: 2002, Nikon: 2007)?
Or CMOS sensors for DSLRs (Canon: 2000, Nikon: 2004)?
Built in teleconverter (Canon: 1984 [2012 for AF], Nikon: never)?

Yeah, like those.

I know I have cherry-picked a few examples, but you can't possibly think that Nikon is a substantially faster-moving and more innovative company overall.  And that 1.7x TC you desire, there are two versions for Nikon: 1) that works only with AF-S and AF-I lenses, and 2) a version that is manual focus only for all lenses.  Own an nice AF 300mm f/2.8 or 80-200mm f/2.8D?  Tough luck, no AF for you (not that Nikon AF lenses are fast by anyone's definition).

Grass still greener?

Yes, yes I do think Nikon is the faster, more innovative company!  And I'll meet you on the field of battle if you say otherwise!!!

Get over yourself here dude...how about the 200-400 zoom?  Nikon brought theirs out when?  2003?  How about the Nikon D4 vs. 1DX rollout?  How come the general public couldn't buy the 1DX in any significant quantity until the summer that year, where the D4 could be bought by anyone by what, February?

How about a 14-24 f/2.8 zoom??  Which company has one of those again? 

Why does Nikon have to announce a D300S replacement before Canon would even consider a development announcement of a 7D2??  Why do they need to get their little leakers to leak that there just may not be a 7D2??  Silly games on Canon's part...

See?  I can cherry pick too!

Of course I'm being sarcastic, I know Nikon is the less innovative company, but they do tend to do things first.  They just don't do them best...except of course for their dynamic range under ISO 1000.  Hopefully that will come to an end in 2014, but it just may not!  What then???

I stand by my word, that Canon will bring a 1.7x TC to market.  It will be announced in the fall of 2112, and will be available at authorized dealers a century later, if not sooner!!

Technically speaking, Sony did ISO 100 DR...Nikon only used their innovation. Canon also pioneered the use of large artificially grown fluorite lens elements, UD glass elements, diffractive optics, and a whole host of other true innovations in the photographic industry. Canon is particularly innovative on the optical side of things, but they have still been plenty innovative on the digital technology side of things as well.

The thing about Nikon is their business is built on alliance, rather than innovation. That approach allows them to be faster, but it is also fragile...the failure of an alliance can have a devastating impact on Nikon. I would also point out that Nikon is a little schizophrenic when it comes to their management and marketing policies. The best example of that is the naming of their camera models...does ANYONE understand the logic behind Nikon camera names? It seems to change every few years, sometimes a Dxxx means something specific, but then the next time a similar camera rolls around, it suddenly has a Dxxxx designation, then you have the D800 and D600, both of which interfere with potential future naming for the successors of the D300 line, so on and so forth.

Nikon may be quick to market, but that is quite simply BECAUSE they are not as innovative. They don't have to spend as much time researching and designing new products and new technology from the ground up...they simply have to find the right parts, buy them, and assembly a new product. Oh, and maybe throw in a little bit of innovation here and there...a true RGB metering sensor, then a reticular AF sensor....maybe, just MAYBE, something else. But for the most part, Nikon assembles parts, rather than designing cameras.

It should come as no surprise that the 1D X, therefor, took longer to hit the shelves. The single most critically important thing for Canon's reputation with the 1D X was the AF sensor. It was a completely new AF unit design, with a completely new AF sensor designed from scratch, paired with a unique new processor that intertwined metering, the RGB image the meter recorded, and the AF system with special logic to produce the most accurate AF system the world has ever seen. It was absolutely CRITICAL, especially after the issues with their prior AF units in 1D bodies, that the AF system worked perfectly out the gate. It was wise for Canon to withhold the product until the early issues were worked out. There is no question that Canon's 61pt AF system is faster, more consistent, more accurate, and more precise while concurrently covering a much broader area of the frame than anything available from Nikon. Nikon may have been first with a reticular AF unit, but Canon did it WAY better.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2013, 11:27:23 AM »

scyrene

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2013, 07:46:07 AM »
Hmm....I'm not sure it is possible for a 2x TC, even a bad one, to cancel out the benefit of the extra focal length. Subject size in the frame is the square of the ratio of the focal lengths. In your case, you went from 500mm to 1000mm, so your subject quadrupled in size in the frame ((1000/500)^2 = 4). There is no way that the TC is introducing so much CA that it is overpowering having FOUR TIMES as many pixels on subject...that would mean your CA was like 13┬Ám in size...which I simply don't believe. Not to mention that CA adds color fringing, which can be corrected, and the overall general softening due to the 2x TC III is relatively low. I mean, it definitely has an impact, but it isn't entirely canceling the benefit of having twice the focal length.

I meant 1000mm vs 700mm, sorry to be ambiguous. There is definitely an advantage over the bare lens; the difference between the two extenders is less obvious, but in general I prefer more focal length whenever possible (but the loss of nearly 2 stops (as I stop down to f/10 with the 2x, whilst leaving the 1.4x at f/5.6) means the longer combination is not usable in poor light). It has to be said though (and this is probably partly due to my 2x extender being the mark II, whereas my 1.4x is the III), the 700mm combination behaves like a single lens, whereas at 1000mm it doesn't.
5D mark III, 50D, 300D, EOS-M; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, 24-105L, MP-E, 85L II, 100L macro, 500L IS II, EF-M 18-55; 1.4xIII, 2x III + 2xII extenders; 600EX-RT; EF-M--EF adaptor.
Former lenses include: 70-200L f/4 non-IS, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

scyrene

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »
For birds, which is also what I mostly do, 840mm is enough if you know how to get close, and 600mm on FF is enough if you have exceptional sneaking skills. ;P Cropping is just as much an artistic factor as it is sometimes a necessity. Personally, I find that completely filling the frame with a bird limits your ability to fix composition errors in post, so I try to leave some space around my subjects. Reduces pixels on subject, but it gives you the option of fixing rotation, using crop to shift the subject toward one side to improve composition, or if you print on canvas like I do, gives you that extra bit of necessary room for the wrapped edges in gallery wraps. The only reason I would likely use 1200mm f/8 on a 5D III would be to give the birds more space, instead of crowding them (although it entirely depends on the bird and the environment whether that improves their behavior or not...many birds don't care about proximity, some care very much, but only in certain circumstances or times of the year.)

Nice insight on the canvas printing. I've done it, but not yet mounted them, that's worth bearing in mind, thanks :)

As far as birds are concerned, I dunno. Maybe it's me. Maybe it's the birds. Some are very confiding, of course, but in that case you can get incredible detail at 1000mm near the minimum focus distance. Many species, in most circumstances, see you and skedaddle. In open situations, like beaches or beside open water, it can be very difficult indeed (I do have a portable hide, perhaps I should start using it more - but that seems rather extreme most of the time). Either way, having the focal length is better than not; if I get closer to the birds, I can always take off the teleconverter.

Birds take patience, and maybe some camo clothing (but NOT a hide, unless you have somewhere to hide the hide...if it stands out in the open, birds will take notice and stay clear.) My closest shots always come about an hour after I head out. I tend to stay low, usually laying in the sand, with my tripod set up such that the legs are collapsed and angled flat, so I get the lowest clearance from the ground possible. I wear a camo jacket and this cheap camo net overlay to pull over my pants. Then I just wait. Shorebirds, for example, move up and down and back up the shore. If you set yourself up with the sun behind you, it is really just a matter of time before the birds come wading right up to you, then past you, then back again. In between encounters, you can shift your position, or creep in closer by a few feet at a time. Eventually you can get so close that you'll take the TC off! :)
I bring along a folding chair and a good book.... after a while they seem to forget about you and then you can get down to business... until someone comes past walking their dog :(

LOL! OMG, you have no idea how relevant that is to just about EVERY bird photography outing I've ever been on. Even today...I was trying to photograph this beautiful little Kestrel...and this old lady with her dog just kept going back and forth along the same path, and EVERY time she scared the little hawk off. Too me forever to finally get it to think I was just a noisy bush and get some good shots. (I'll try to post them once I get them processed...just got back home from that little photo trip, and haven't even imported them yet.)

Dog walkers are the enemy of bird photographers, I agree! I get VERY frustrated with them, almost every time.
5D mark III, 50D, 300D, EOS-M; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, 24-105L, MP-E, 85L II, 100L macro, 500L IS II, EF-M 18-55; 1.4xIII, 2x III + 2xII extenders; 600EX-RT; EF-M--EF adaptor.

scyrene

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2013, 08:52:28 AM »
Mind if I ask, why did you stick with f/8? I always stop down the 500+2x to f/10 as I find it gives a little extra sharpness. The only exception would be in extreme low light.

I was in a hurry...   :-[  I looked over as the bird took flight, raised the camera and shot.  It was in standby mode, but when birding I walk around with it in my BIF mode (C3), which is 1/1600 s, f/6.3, Auto ISO.  That's set for the bare 600 or with the 1.4xIII, so it defaulted to the wide open f/8 with the 2xIII attached.

Understandable. You are forgiven! ;)

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2013, 04:05:43 PM »
Yes I would be all over a 1.7x TC too.  But I guess since Nikon has had one for a decade, Canon needs to wait another couple of decades before they bring one to market.  You know, just to make sure they get it right!

Oh, you mean like ultrasonic motors (Canon: 1987, Nikon: 1998)?
Or image stabilization in 35mm lenses (Canon: 1995, Nikon: 2000)?
Or electromagnetic aperture mechanisms (Canon: 1987, Nikon: 2008)?
How about full frame digital sensors (Canon: 2002, Nikon: 2007)?
Or CMOS sensors for DSLRs (Canon: 2000, Nikon: 2004)?
Built in teleconverter (Canon: 1984 [2012 for AF], Nikon: never)?

Yeah, like those.

I know I have cherry-picked a few examples, but you can't possibly think that Nikon is a substantially faster-moving and more innovative company overall.  And that 1.7x TC you desire, there are two versions for Nikon: 1) that works only with AF-S and AF-I lenses, and 2) a version that is manual focus only for all lenses.  Own an nice AF 300mm f/2.8 or 80-200mm f/2.8D?  Tough luck, no AF for you (not that Nikon AF lenses are fast by anyone's definition).

Grass still greener?

Yes, yes I do think Nikon is the faster, more innovative company!  And I'll meet you on the field of battle if you say otherwise!!!

Get over yourself here dude...how about the 200-400 zoom?  Nikon brought theirs out when?  2003?  How about the Nikon D4 vs. 1DX rollout?  How come the general public couldn't buy the 1DX in any significant quantity until the summer that year, where the D4 could be bought by anyone by what, February?

How about a 14-24 f/2.8 zoom??  Which company has one of those again? 

Why does Nikon have to announce a D300S replacement before Canon would even consider a development announcement of a 7D2??  Why do they need to get their little leakers to leak that there just may not be a 7D2??  Silly games on Canon's part...

See?  I can cherry pick too!

Of course I'm being sarcastic, I know Nikon is the less innovative company, but they do tend to do things first.  They just don't do them best...except of course for their dynamic range under ISO 1000.  Hopefully that will come to an end in 2014, but it just may not!  What then???

I stand by my word, that Canon will bring a 1.7x TC to market.  It will be announced in the fall of 2112, and will be available at authorized dealers a century later, if not sooner!!

Technically speaking, Sony did ISO 100 DR...Nikon only used their innovation. Canon also pioneered the use of large artificially grown fluorite lens elements, UD glass elements, diffractive optics, and a whole host of other true innovations in the photographic industry. Canon is particularly innovative on the optical side of things, but they have still been plenty innovative on the digital technology side of things as well.

The thing about Nikon is their business is built on alliance, rather than innovation. That approach allows them to be faster, but it is also fragile...the failure of an alliance can have a devastating impact on Nikon. I would also point out that Nikon is a little schizophrenic when it comes to their management and marketing policies. The best example of that is the naming of their camera models...does ANYONE understand the logic behind Nikon camera names? It seems to change every few years, sometimes a Dxxx means something specific, but then the next time a similar camera rolls around, it suddenly has a Dxxxx designation, then you have the D800 and D600, both of which interfere with potential future naming for the successors of the D300 line, so on and so forth.

Nikon may be quick to market, but that is quite simply BECAUSE they are not as innovative. They don't have to spend as much time researching and designing new products and new technology from the ground up...they simply have to find the right parts, buy them, and assembly a new product. Oh, and maybe throw in a little bit of innovation here and there...a true RGB metering sensor, then a reticular AF sensor....maybe, just MAYBE, something else. But for the most part, Nikon assembles parts, rather than designing cameras.

It should come as no surprise that the 1D X, therefor, took longer to hit the shelves. The single most critically important thing for Canon's reputation with the 1D X was the AF sensor. It was a completely new AF unit design, with a completely new AF sensor designed from scratch, paired with a unique new processor that intertwined metering, the RGB image the meter recorded, and the AF system with special logic to produce the most accurate AF system the world has ever seen. It was absolutely CRITICAL, especially after the issues with their prior AF units in 1D bodies, that the AF system worked perfectly out the gate. It was wise for Canon to withhold the product until the early issues were worked out. There is no question that Canon's 61pt AF system is faster, more consistent, more accurate, and more precise while concurrently covering a much broader area of the frame than anything available from Nikon. Nikon may have been first with a reticular AF unit, but Canon did it WAY better.

Thank you for expounding on and helping to prove my point!  Very interesting tidbits...especially regarding the Nikon reticular AF.  I had known that but didn't articulate it.  Thanks again!

However, the delay of the 1DX past the spring of that year, had more to do with production issues than with development...as early units displayed at the previous fall launch were the same camera as those sold the next summer.  If I am wrong, please help to clarify.  There were indeed certain privileged pros who were able to purchase their 1DX's at the same time that the D4 became available (January or February?), but everyone else had to wait months later into, July wasn't it?

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2013, 08:14:15 PM »
However, the delay of the 1DX past the spring of that year, had more to do with production issues than with development...as early units displayed at the previous fall launch were the same camera as those sold the next summer.  If I am wrong, please help to clarify.  There were indeed certain privileged pros who were able to purchase their 1DX's at the same time that the D4 became available (January or February?), but everyone else had to wait months later into, July wasn't it?

There were definitely AF unit issues with the 1D X. That was the primary reason for it's delay. We aren't talking about the f/8 stuff, there were apparently other AF issues that had to be delt with. As far as I understand, for the "early release" models, they were actually prototypes that were effectively loaned out to those privileged pros until the final production models were really ready...at which time the loaners had to be turned in. The 1D X released officially just a few weeks before the Olympics got rolling, IIRC, and those who had loaners and were already packed up and shipped out for the Olympics were allowed to keep those models until the Olympics were over. Similarly, there were quite a number of 200-400mm TC lenses loaned out for the Olympics as well.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #141 on: December 17, 2013, 04:59:58 AM »

There were definitely AF unit issues with the 1D X. That was the primary reason for it's delay. We aren't talking about the f/8 stuff, there were apparently other AF issues that had to be delt with. As far as I understand, for the "early release" models, they were actually prototypes that were effectively loaned out to those privileged pros until the final production models were really ready...at which time the loaners had to be turned in. The 1D X released officially just a few weeks before the Olympics got rolling, IIRC, and those who had loaners and were already packed up and shipped out for the Olympics were allowed to keep those models until the Olympics were over. Similarly, there were quite a number of 200-400mm TC lenses loaned out for the Olympics as well.

Yes, I read somewhere that the 200-400 LIS lenses at the Olympics were all prototypes and needed a tweek due to a re-arrangement of the control switches, which arose due to pro comments during the Olympics. This then caused a further three month delay to the final launch date.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: December 17, 2013, 04:59:58 AM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2013, 03:59:14 AM »

Thank you.  Yes I had read on here about those 200-400's...that was well over a year before the public could buy one.

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 19, 2013, 04:03:46 PM »
The wide aperture affects AF speed and AF point precision and capability. Remember, particularly in the 61pt AF system, there are f/2.8 double cross type points, f/4 cross type points, f/5.6 line points, and the center expansion f/8 points. With an f/4 lens, you ALWAYS AF at f/4, no matter what you stop down to for actual shooting. The extra stop of light allows the AF system to operate more quickly and more accurately. When f/4 AF points are used, they tend to be more precise than f/5.6 points, which need larger pixels in order to sense as well as f/4 pixels.

The point of an f/4 lens isn't that you always shoot wide open (although in the evening, it isn't uncommon...I tend to be around f/8 aperture for shooting during daytime, and f/4-5.6 for shooting around sunset, for wildlife.) It's that you ALWAYS AF wide open (by design.) And yes, with an f/4 lens, when you slap on a 1.4x TC, you still AF at f/5.6, which is still better than AF at f/8, no question.

Jrista, thank you.
I actually completely forgot about the difference between f4 AF points and f5.6 ones. The high precision f2.8 AF points are referenced so much I guess I clumped all the others into the same group. (After reading multiple articles detailing all the AF points, and watching the entire B&H Canon AF seminar [ ww.youtube.com/watch?v=iAx86nblZ2g ][great video BTW], you would think that someone would remember something like that. I guess a guy can only fill his head with so much.)
That changes my perception of the TCs quite a bit. I've been assuming that you get "worse AF" when using a TC because of a combination of optical performance and some kind of interference in the circuitry, if on the other hand it's actually just due to the change in the type of AF points used, then the 600f4+1.4xTC is actually going to AF exactly the same as the 800f5.6. I was assuming the latter would have an advantage.
Indeed that does make a very good case for the 600f4, and makes the 300f2.8 more appealing now that I know it's not some mystical interference from the teleconverter making AF worse at 600mm.

A little digging brings this up

From the TDP review http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Extender-EF-1.4x-III-Review.aspx

Shooting with the Canon EF 1.4x III Extender mounted results in reduction of autofocus speed. According to Chuck Westfall (Canon USA): "As with previous EF Extenders, usage of Series III EF Extenders lowers AF drive speed to improve AF performance. When Extender EF 1.4X III is used, AF drive speed is reduced by 50%. When Extender EF 2X III is used, AF drive speed is reduced by 75%. This may seem like a drawback, but in reality subject tracking performance remains quite high when Series III Extenders are used with IS II lenses. This is due to improvements in AF precision made possible by the new microcomputer in the extenders."

So adding an extender does specifically and purposefully slow down AF.
-100% RAW-

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #144 on: December 19, 2013, 05:34:45 PM »
The wide aperture affects AF speed and AF point precision and capability. Remember, particularly in the 61pt AF system, there are f/2.8 double cross type points, f/4 cross type points, f/5.6 line points, and the center expansion f/8 points. With an f/4 lens, you ALWAYS AF at f/4, no matter what you stop down to for actual shooting. The extra stop of light allows the AF system to operate more quickly and more accurately. When f/4 AF points are used, they tend to be more precise than f/5.6 points, which need larger pixels in order to sense as well as f/4 pixels.

The point of an f/4 lens isn't that you always shoot wide open (although in the evening, it isn't uncommon...I tend to be around f/8 aperture for shooting during daytime, and f/4-5.6 for shooting around sunset, for wildlife.) It's that you ALWAYS AF wide open (by design.) And yes, with an f/4 lens, when you slap on a 1.4x TC, you still AF at f/5.6, which is still better than AF at f/8, no question.

Jrista, thank you.
I actually completely forgot about the difference between f4 AF points and f5.6 ones. The high precision f2.8 AF points are referenced so much I guess I clumped all the others into the same group. (After reading multiple articles detailing all the AF points, and watching the entire B&H Canon AF seminar [ ww.youtube.com/watch?v=iAx86nblZ2g ][great video BTW], you would think that someone would remember something like that. I guess a guy can only fill his head with so much.)
That changes my perception of the TCs quite a bit. I've been assuming that you get "worse AF" when using a TC because of a combination of optical performance and some kind of interference in the circuitry, if on the other hand it's actually just due to the change in the type of AF points used, then the 600f4+1.4xTC is actually going to AF exactly the same as the 800f5.6. I was assuming the latter would have an advantage.
Indeed that does make a very good case for the 600f4, and makes the 300f2.8 more appealing now that I know it's not some mystical interference from the teleconverter making AF worse at 600mm.

A little digging brings this up

From the TDP review http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Extender-EF-1.4x-III-Review.aspx

Shooting with the Canon EF 1.4x III Extender mounted results in reduction of autofocus speed. According to Chuck Westfall (Canon USA): "As with previous EF Extenders, usage of Series III EF Extenders lowers AF drive speed to improve AF performance. When Extender EF 1.4X III is used, AF drive speed is reduced by 50%. When Extender EF 2X III is used, AF drive speed is reduced by 75%. This may seem like a drawback, but in reality subject tracking performance remains quite high when Series III Extenders are used with IS II lenses. This is due to improvements in AF precision made possible by the new microcomputer in the extenders."

So adding an extender does specifically and purposefully slow down AF.

Maximum drive speed is determined by the body, though. The 1D X drives lenses faster than a 5D III, which drives them faster than a 7D. Yes, adding an EF TC III does reduce speed, but it is still faster with higher grade bodies than lower grade bodies.
My Photography

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 19, 2013, 11:13:18 PM »
I'm just saying that my question has been answered, bare lenses are better (AF wise).
Which speaks very highly of the 300f2.8ISII when you still hear people say that with a 1.4xTC it performs similarly to the 400f5.6. That thing must have the fastest AF on the planet.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 11:15:47 PM by 9VIII »
-100% RAW-

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 27, 2013, 11:19:19 PM »
I'm just saying that my question has been answered, bare lenses are better (AF wise).
Which speaks very highly of the 300f2.8ISII when you still hear people say that with a 1.4xTC it performs similarly to the 400f5.6. That thing must have the fastest AF on the planet.

Which has the fastest AF on the planet, the 300mm?

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 28, 2013, 02:53:10 AM »
That's right. If the 300f2.8ISII with its AF speed cut in half is still as fast as other prime lenses already known for being blazing fast, the bare lens has got to be something incredible.
-100% RAW-

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: December 28, 2013, 02:53:10 AM »

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #148 on: December 28, 2013, 12:57:58 PM »
That's right. If the 300f2.8ISII with its AF speed cut in half is still as fast as other prime lenses already known for being blazing fast, the bare lens has got to be something incredible.

It is indeed something incredible. :D It was the first great white lens I rented...which is what got me hooked on 'em. Because of the incalculable performance of the 300/2.8 II, I am now forever slaved to buying the EF Mark II supertelephoto primes...nothing else will ever do. :\
My Photography

krisbell

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #149 on: March 18, 2014, 04:34:02 AM »
I know patents are often done purely for protective purposes and never see the light of day, but I would love to see these designs come true!  My wallet is crying just from the mention of this patent, however  ;) :'(

Yep - my thoughts exactly. Whenever I see patent news on this site I get mixed feelings as the vast majority of patents never see the light of day and are increasingly used as a barrier to innovation - the exact opposite of their intended purpose. Patents were filed decades ago for flying saucers!

FWIW I would love to see a 300-600mm lens. I love zooms and can never have enough reach. Going for a f5.6 should help keep the size, weight and cost down a little (here's hoping!).
Current gear: Canon 5DIII, Canon 100mm f2.8 macro, Canon 16-35mm f2.8L II, Canon 300mm f2.8L II, 2x extender III

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kristianbell/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: March 18, 2014, 04:34:02 AM »