September 23, 2014, 04:44:19 AM

Author Topic: Do You Take Better Pics with Primes?  (Read 7417 times)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Take Better Pics with Primes?
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2013, 04:08:28 AM »
Intersting when the word 'prime' came into common use to describe a fixed focal length lens. Certainly in my early days of photography, from around 1975, I never recal hearing them being referred to as 'prime' lenses.

I'm guessing that the term was coined after the rise of zoom lenses in order to differentiate.

Similar situation with the term 'kit' lens. Again in the early days of SLRs they were always sold with a 50mm lens, but were never referred to as a 'kit'.
+1 x infinity...
Short answer: No.
Long answer: No.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2013, 04:08:28 AM »

Knut Skywalker

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2013, 04:47:34 AM »
For portraits: Yes. I like working with primes for portraits way better than with Zooms. I like it when my gear gets out of my way during the shoot, and primes do that for me.

For my work in club-environments: No. In such an environment it's hard to switch lenses all the time so use a wide-angle zoom to photograph the DJs and the crowd. I also like it to play around with flash, long exposure and zooming for some crazy results. :)
5D Mark II + Grip
50mm 1.4 and 100mm 2.0
430EX II and YN-565EX + 4 YN622c

mb66energy

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2013, 04:51:18 AM »
During the FD lens era I omitted zooms-by principle. In the EF(-S) lens era my first lens was the 60mm macro, the 2nd one the 70-2000 f /4L zoom followed by the 2.8/24mm lens.

I learned that the technical image quality of zooms is absolutely comparable to primes and learned to use that zoom like "a set of primes in one package": Setting the focal length to 70, 100, 135 or 200 mm and starting the composition afterwards. The same with the 10-22 lens which had no prime surrogates: 10 (16), 15(24) on 22(35) are my most used settings.

I would say it depends on "intelligent use" of zooms-this includes the "lazy" use of the zoom ring if you can't change your position! Which isn't-exactly laziness!

EDIT: So -for me- I don't see principle differences between zooms and primes - except if f/2 at 100mm can only realized with aprime or in the case of real macro.

One hint to Canon and other manufacturers: give us a "click-option" for focal length stops e.g. 24-35-50 -85-105 and a focal length hint in the viewfinder!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 04:55:38 AM by mb66energy »
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40* | 2.8 100 Macro* |2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200* | 5.6/400* || 2 x 40D | 600D | EOS M  [* most used lenses]

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2013, 05:52:13 AM »
Started out with average zooms, then collected primes, then found that I missed too much opportunities by always having the wrong prime mounted. Finally settled on 24-70 II as the main lens.

But even when I am using the zoom lens, I will now consciously choose a focal length that I intend to use and shoot away. So now using 24-70 II my photos come back with EXIF showing 24, 35, 50, 70 but not much in between. To me it is a bag of primes on it's own.

Prime lens are very good at training your sense of perspective and low light stuff. But once you go over it, you will appreciate what a good zoom can offer.

Every single word you wrote I agree with completely 100%, it's like I wrote it myself.

I have two primes currently, but they are WAY different than a "normal" fast prime in the 24-70 range, so they have a few tricks the zoom doesn't have, but shooting the 24-70 makes no difference where I used to shoot my primes.

But since I change my mind every so often, the 35 L II is THE lens I want. I miss the old one  ;D
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2013, 09:01:31 AM »
When using zoom lenses, have a higher percentage of good photos. But with prime lenses, I have some extraordinary photos. The question is who do extraordinary photos takes time, planning and calmly to "see" the image in your mind before shooting the photo. If time is a constraint, then the biggest advantage provided by the zoom lens is more appropriate.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2013, 09:14:36 AM »
For those who do not give up just using prime lenses, a solution is always put three cameras on her neck. ??? ::) Thus, you can use your holy trinity of primes and not lose photos for having the wrong lens for that moment. :o Hopefully shooters birds do not follow my advice. ;D ;D ;D

surapon

• 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2013, 09:27:44 AM »
Yes, Long, Long time, My dear Canon EF 24-70 MM. F/ 2.8 L ( 5-7 years ago) is my walking Lens = 85% of the time, But After I get the  Prime Lens, Canon TS-E 24 MM. L MK II( Only Manual Focus--BUT SUPER SHARP LENS), about 5 months ago--Yes, This Prime Lens with me 90%  in my 5D MK II,( Yes, I use my two legs as the ZOOM Functions---Ha, Ha, Ha ) and  EF 70-200 F/ 2.8 L IS  with 7D  = 100%.
Have a good Sunday.
Surapon
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 09:30:21 AM by surapon »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2013, 09:27:44 AM »

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2013, 09:36:35 AM »
The L primes will give better IQ  than most all zooms. (keep in mind resolution isn't the only thing that contributes to IQ)
Even the 24-70mm II will only match or slightly beat the L primes in resolution. It is still behind in other areas.

But that is not the difference you are feeling with your shots.
To use an painting comparison the primes give you a larger pallet and higher quality brushes to work with.
You not only have the improved IQ of the prime but the prime is able to use wider apertures.
The same is true of using a FF over a Crop camera. The FF will give you more creative potential.

So for me yes the Primes "take better pics" because I utilize the extra tools they provide.

I'll name a few of the (good) 'prime' advantages aside from resolution: Color rendition, contrast, flare resistance, less distortion, possibly better bokeh etc. Primes also handle differently, generally they're lighter and easier to handle (no zooming) so less to distract from photography.

Well of course though, the 24-70L II handles those better than the primes in that range, including the 35L and 50L, at f/2.8.  So the 24-70L II is an exception.  It's better.  The only disadvantage is that it can't go wider.  I sold my 35L and 50L once I got the 24-70L II, because the IQ, including everything, was better and yes I noticed it in my photos. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2013, 09:46:10 AM »
For those who do not give up just using prime lenses, a solution is always put three cameras on her neck. ??? ::) Thus, you can use your holy trinity of primes and not lose photos for having the wrong lens for that moment. :o Hopefully shooters birds do not follow my advice. ;D ;D ;D

+ 100 for me too, Dear Teacher Mr. ajfotofilmagem
I am original from Thailand, and was reserved in Thai Army, In the Platoon, We have many kinds and type of Guns/ Equipments  for difference Functions of each  member in the Platoon. Same thing as in Our Love Hobby ( some of our CR. members are the PRO )---Difference Cameras and Difference Lenses for Difference functions or type of Situation/ Kinds of Photography that we want to create for the best of our ability---Yes, If Lucky, We can walk in the woods with 50 mm Lens and shoot the Eagle, But If we have 200-400 + 1.4X in our hand, We will get the best chance to get the Masterpiece too---Not have to wait 6-12 hours in the Camouflage tent on the top of tree near the eagle's net with 50 mm. or 85 mm  F/ 1.2 L--Great Prime Lens.
And take the risk to fall down from the tree, because we are sleepy.
Nice to talk to you, Sir.
Surapon

PS "  a solution is always put three cameras on her neck. ??? ::) "---Here are my Photos, Crazy Surapon on the Job---Ha, Ha, Ha---Like my dear teacher Said.
---The Last Photo is With The Crown Princess of Thailand.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 10:53:09 AM by surapon »

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2013, 09:57:20 AM »

I am original from Thailand, and was reserved in Thai Army, In the Platoon, We have many kinds and type of Guns/ Equipments  for difference Functions of each  member in the Platoon. Same thing as in Our Love Hobby ( some of our CR. members are the PRO )---Difference Cameras and Difference Lenses for Difference functions or type of Situation/ Kinds of Photography that we want to create for the best of our ability---Yes, If Lucky, We can walk in the woods with 50 mm Lens and shoot the Eagle, But If we have 200-400 + 1.4X in our hand, We will get the best chance to get the Masterpiece too---Not have to wait 6-12 hours in the Camouflage tent on the top of tree near the eagle's net with 50 mm. or 85 mm  F/ 1.2 L--Great Prime Lens.
Surapon
Yes If Robert Capa had zoom lenses in its time, would not have risked so much to get photos like this:

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2013, 10:01:07 AM »

Surapon
Yes If Robert Capa had zoom lenses in its time, would not have risked so much to get photos like this:

Ha, Ha, Ha---Dear Teacher--But He is the Most smart man, Have the small camera  and the Big Rifle in each Hand----Ha, Ha, Ha.
Thank you , Sir.
Surapon

crasher8

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2013, 10:34:03 AM »
A Prime is also a bonus, an award and other things in sport. basically is comes down to being a good thing. We all like a good thing, like my Sigma 35.

And-Rew

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2013, 11:26:59 AM »
When I take three primes with me for a days' shooting, say 24-50-100mm, I find that I come back with images that are much more interesting and artistic than if I would shoot the same subjects with my 24-105. I'm not necessarily talking about image quality between lenses, per se, but more about the "wow factor" that we all know when everything comes together. When I use a zoom, I am aware that the laziness factor kicks in sometimes, and I take the easy road to composition by just twisting the zoom ring, rather than expending the extra effort by getting closer or lower. Do you find that to be the case with your personal shooting style? Or do you take better pictures with a zoom? Or do you find no difference? Personal insights one way or the other would be appreciated.

In  simple terms - yes, because I've reverted back to working with a single body and single 'prime' lens to try and energise my photography which has lost its sparkle of late. As said in a previous reply, in film days - you bought a body with a 'nifty fifty' - and it is with this i learned how to use a camera. So, by reverting back to that set up I'm hoping to get back that which is currently lost.  :'(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2013, 11:26:59 AM »

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2013, 11:35:09 AM »
The quality of both primes and zooms has increased a lot in the past ten years. We are starting to see zoom lenses that are sharper than the primes used to be, and at the same time some of the new primes seem to be approaching perfection... look at the MTF charts of the series 2 superzooms, all the curves are straight lines at the top of the graph....

In the good old days you took a good hit in quality if you used a zoom lens, but now the difference is not so striking, unless you are going to slap on a teleconverter or crop heavily, in which case the better optics of a recent prime shine through.
The best camera is the one in your hands

MLfan3

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2013, 01:02:29 PM »
Intersting when the word 'prime' came into common use to describe a fixed focal length lens. Certainly in my early days of photography, from around 1975, I never recal hearing them being referred to as 'prime' lenses.

I'm guessing that the term was coined after the rise of zoom lenses in order to differentiate.

Similar situation with the term 'kit' lens. Again in the early days of SLRs they were always sold with a 50mm lens, but were never referred to as a 'kit'.
+1 x infinity...
Short answer: No.
Long answer: No.

actually pure IQ wise , yes.
but it is not that simple , sometimes freedom of composition and speed of zooming option is very important , therefore, PJs use zooms.
for us studio guys, we prefer primes but we can change lenses as often as we want , so I think for my studio work , I use primes(Zeiss 25, 35, 135mm  Canon 85, TSE24, TSE45,etc)but for my personal photography, I tend to use zooms simply I do not like changing lenses outside of my studio due to the annoying dust issue I  have experienced with my Nikons and Sony cameras.
I think Canon Oly Pana ,etc have very effective super sonic sensor cleaning system and so it might not be as serious a issue as with Nikon , but I just want to baby my cameras.
that said , when I know what I will shoot and what FL I will need , I just carry a couple of primes.
So in short if using of a couple of primes without having to swap lenses over and over , I 'd always use primes, other wise , I 'd use zooms(I do not like UWA look , so I just carry 2 zooms or 2 primes on a session).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 01:08:55 PM by MLfan3 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2013, 01:02:29 PM »