April 23, 2014, 05:54:59 AM

Author Topic: Should I be annoyed with Adorama... or is it my own dumb fault?  (Read 7368 times)

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Should I be annoyed with Adorama... or is it my own dumb fault?
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2013, 08:51:51 AM »
You picked up all that gear for only $723?  Happy Days!  I would have asked the question, too.  But maybe with a smiley face at the end to make them aware that you've picked them up on an obvious mistake and that I wasn't too serious. 
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2013, 08:51:51 AM »

jdramirez

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 09:03:05 AM »
You picked up all that gear for only $723?  Happy Days!  I would have asked the question, too.  But maybe with a smiley face at the end to make them aware that you've picked them up on an obvious mistake and that I wasn't too serious.

I don't like emoticons.  I know it is a necessary evil, but if a 13 year old girl uses it...

But here we go.
 :) ;) :D ;D :( 8) :o :P :-[ :-X :-* :'(
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

emag

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2013, 09:35:55 AM »
PLEASE don't call me PR!!!

Well, that's what you get for writing something nice :-p ... I'm not up to the correct obvious terms obviously as you relate to the public - otherwise you'd just write a PM to the op - but maybe PR is something different entirely and is considered deprecating since it made you post your qualifications ... so sorry for that.
Helen is to PR what Magic Lantern developers are to hackers.  No snark intended or implied, I raise a virtual toast to both of you in sincere appreciation of your efforts.

DaveMiko

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2013, 11:00:20 AM »
So November 28th Adorama had a deal where you get the following:
Canon T3i and 18-55mm, a 75-300mm a 50mm f/1.8 II, a Slinger Photo Video Bag, a SanDisk 16GB Class 10, a USB 2.0 Secure Digital (SD / SDHC) Reader and a Digital Card Case and a Manfrotto Monopod all for the bargain basement price of $659.

It is a meh deal... not awful... not great.  BUT... advertised on the page were the attached images.  Notice that the 50mm would be a CRAZY good deal if they sent the 50mm f/1.2L?  I thought... hey... maybe if they make one screw up, then they might make two.  No... I got the 50mm f/1.8. 

So I sent them Adorama an email on on December 4 and then again on the December 5 which read:

Ya'll sent me a different lens than was pictured.  Mind providing me an explanation?

I didn't get a response... and I think that's what I'm annoyed about.  They could at least do me the courtesy of saying they screwed up and it wouldn't be practical for them to give me a 50mm L, but hey... maybe they try and make it up to me by not ignoring me. 

So... is it my own stupid fault or did Adorama maybe defraud their customers... just a little bit and I do have the right to be annoyed?

Don't buy electronic equipment online.
1DX, 5D Mark III, 24-70 f2.8 II, 24-105 f4 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-200 f4 IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS, 600 f4L IS II, 300 f2.8L IS II, 2x Mark III, 1.4x Mark III.

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2013, 11:03:25 AM »
It seems that lots of posters here have never worked in retail, and therefore do not know how some "customers" act.

"Morals" never even enters the thought process, it is always about getting something for nothing... or pitching a fit at the cash register until they get what they want.

Not directed at the OP, just a thought after going through this discussion.

Props to Helen for even entertaining a discussion over what amounts to a print error.

sdsr

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2013, 11:20:32 AM »

Well, that's what you get for writing something nice :-p ... I'm not up to the correct obvious terms obviously as you relate to the public - otherwise you'd just write a PM to the op - but maybe PR is something different entirely and is considered deprecating since it made you post your qualifications ... so sorry for that.

Nevertheless, Helen does end up indirectly providing the best imaginable PR.  Adorama, and its customers, are lucky to have her.  (And she's every bit as helpful to those who don't complain in public beforehand.)

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2013, 11:41:38 AM »
"Some items may not be as pictured"

"Picture may show optional accessories"

"Not as illustrated"

"Anorexic supermodel not included"

When I see an an add, it is the picture which captures my eye, but it is the text that I read to find out exactly what is offered. You NEVER believe the images in an add.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2013, 11:41:38 AM »

jdramirez

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 12:05:54 PM »
So November 28th Adorama had a deal where you get the following:
Canon T3i and 18-55mm, a 75-300mm a 50mm f/1.8 II, a Slinger Photo Video Bag, a SanDisk 16GB Class 10, a USB 2.0 Secure Digital (SD / SDHC) Reader and a Digital Card Case and a Manfrotto Monopod all for the bargain basement price of $659.

It is a meh deal... not awful... not great.  BUT... advertised on the page were the attached images.  Notice that the 50mm would be a CRAZY good deal if they sent the 50mm f/1.2L?  I thought... hey... maybe if they make one screw up, then they might make two.  No... I got the 50mm f/1.8. 

So I sent them Adorama an email on on December 4 and then again on the December 5 which read:

Ya'll sent me a different lens than was pictured.  Mind providing me an explanation?

I didn't get a response... and I think that's what I'm annoyed about.  They could at least do me the courtesy of saying they screwed up and it wouldn't be practical for them to give me a 50mm L, but hey... maybe they try and make it up to me by not ignoring me. 

So... is it my own stupid fault or did Adorama maybe defraud their customers... just a little bit and I do have the right to be annoyed?

Don't buy electronic equipment online.

It is a mix bag.  At my local camera store they sell generic accessories for ten times what you would pay on eBay or Amazon. 

But returns are easier I have bought used gear online and I think that is a much bigger risk than buying new stuff...

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

jdramirez

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2013, 12:11:08 PM »
It seems that lots of posters here have never worked in retail, and therefore do not know how some "customers" act.

"Morals" never even enters the thought process, it is always about getting something for nothing... or pitching a fit at the cash register until they get what they want.

Not directed at the OP, just a thought after going through this discussion.

Props to Helen for even entertaining a discussion over what amounts to a print error.

When I worked retail... I didn't have any bad customers... there were people who wasted your time, but no one who threw a fit.

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2013, 01:33:33 PM »

From a personal point of view, I've had the pleasure of dealing with Helen Oster and have found her professionalism to be above reproach.

Helen,

Your title is aptly named "Customer Service Ambassador" because you do a very good job at it.  We, as a community are fortunate that we have someone like you looking out for us.

Helen is to PR what Magic Lantern developers are to hackers.......

I just want to say thank you to everyone for all your thoughtful words and sentiments, which are so very much appreciated
Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2013, 01:48:26 PM »

Helen has helped CR members many times on this web site, and on many other forums, just as Henru Posner has for B&H.  They both take buyer issues seriously and see that fixes get made and that sales people get educated. 

I find that Helen and Henry's presence on the forums when needed is invaluable. 

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2013, 02:00:58 PM »
+1 for dumb fault (for expecting anything other than one describes, sometimes, you have to swing at the ball either way ;) )
+1 for done well with Adorama

I'm actually of the opinion that I like vendors/manufacturers that engage in a public forum; it takes guts because you run the risk of taking flak, even if nothing is wrong. (TWM Performance, for example, won't reply even when they are a sponsor ;D -- some people take every chance to mention that fact  ::)

I've seen tech-support reply to bad reviews (in comments) on Amazon trying to rectify technical problems. 

In the end, nothing and no company will be distinct except for how it treats it's customers.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:03:03 PM by dstppy »
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Skulker

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2013, 04:10:29 PM »
Reminder - We still ban users for abusive posts and language.  There is a lot of stress during the holiday season, but please act like adults.

Thanks and have a happy holiday.

Blimming good job I didn't say what I was thinking then  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2013, 04:10:29 PM »

Skulker

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »

.......  so I have gear at a price that I don't really want.  So I have to figure that out.  ........

Let me know if I neglected to address a point... and I'll be happy to respond.

As Homer would say "Dohh"  Lesson learned?

Don't worry your response was far more detailed than I was expecting. Although to be honest I haven't read it.  ;D No offence intended.

rporterfield

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
Had both the picture and the description matched, you might have had a case.  But, since the description had the correct items listed, you should have at least called and double checked what came in the kit before you ordered.  Since you didn't, I cannot sympathize with you and therefore I vote that it was your own fault.  I won't even say dumb, because I think you knew what was going to happen even before you submitted the order.
5D Mark III, 24-105

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »