October 01, 2014, 04:59:10 PM

Author Topic: someone identify this crazy video attachment/camera?  (Read 7920 times)

nismohks

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
someone identify this crazy video attachment/camera?
« on: October 09, 2011, 12:16:57 AM »
so my mate was out at some festival here in sydney australia and he saw this camera man filming someone for an interview or something. it seemed he was using a full on pro video camera, but on closer look, it looks like a canon camera with some sort of crazy attachment!

Sorry about the pics, but they were from an iphone, but could someone shed some light on this crazy contraption??

thanks

edit: Updated pics to full res iphone4 images!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:36:39 PM by nismohks »

canon rumors FORUM

someone identify this crazy video attachment/camera?
« on: October 09, 2011, 12:16:57 AM »

Joseph

Re: someone identify this crazy video attachment/camera?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 06:48:58 AM »
It appears to be a digital camera prototype from the late 80's or something , looks like it might have a built in Satalte communication system to tranfer the massive 200x300 resolution images directly to one's home computer connected to a 14.4 modem :)

nismohks

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 07:19:12 AM »
it looks like a 5d mkii at the front which has been mated with a massive video camera from the 90s...

pwaiting

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 08:47:47 AM »
Pro cam op here, That body looks like a Sony, but I don't know for sure as it looks like nothing I have ever seen. The strap  and the cover on top of the buttons on the top are a dead give away, the handle looks very sony too. Canon lens on the front but cant really tell which one. The monitor on the side? Probably not a sat link, looks like its integrated into the camera body so really don't know, probably just a monitor.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 09:48:18 AM »
A sound blimp, with a mic on top?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Polansky

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 10:23:50 AM »
I have enlarged the picture in Photoshop.
It seems authentic and...

For sure this is a DSLR (one series camera), but I don't know what the brick on his shoulders is.

However meaby, just meaby the 'brick' on his shoulders is to camouflage the new camera...  8)

EDIT: Its a small body camera (not a 1 as I initially thought).
Still clear that the 'video thing' acts as a decoy to mislead people to think its a photo/videocamera.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 07:10:06 AM by Polansky »

Hesbehindyou

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 01:29:43 PM »
so my mate
Could you post a link to the full sized photos? We can put 'em through some CSI style computery stuff to get a clearer look.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 01:29:43 PM »

nismohks

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 08:37:52 PM »
i updated original post to have higher res pics! redirects to imageshack with the full iphone4 pics on there.

seriously what is this lovechild of a camera?!

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 01:13:21 AM »
OK Guys... first post here, though I've been lurking several years.

That "camera" is definitely a disguise.  The monitor looks carved out of clay or some synthetic material - it's just a shell.  Check out the outputs below - another shell - nothing workable there.

So they must be hiding something within that shell.  Maybe testing their Nov. 3 pro cam while in disguise?

In the words of my old friend Arte Johnson - Veerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry Interesting.       (but stupid - I think not).

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 02:09:23 AM »
Just checked with head office and its the new "video enhanced" 5Diii.  They thought about releasing two 5Diii cameras.  One with a video emphasis.  Another which was a cheaper FF.  But they thought that marketing and naming issues (3D, 7Dii ??) were too much of a headache.  Problem solved with a video unit attachment.  You just plug it and away you go.  Plus this gives you extended battery power, satellite uplink, wifi, and more memory with inbuilt, hot swapable, 2TB HDD. 

The model above is fitted with the new 24-70/2.8 IS.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 02:25:56 AM »
It look likehe is attaching a Canon DSLR with video function (5D II ??)To a old Sony camcorder ( It actually show model as TRV ???/) without the lens.  It look like he is using the old camcorder for the following: 1. as a shoulder support to help the hoding for video. 2. the microphone from the camcorder. 3. The eye level monitor of the ccmcorder.  3. The large battery of the camcorder to power the DSLR for extender recording.

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 06:46:19 AM »
It's a frankencamera.

That isn't a 5D2, a 1D4 or a 1DS3, promise. Firstly the grip on the base is missing and it's not a 5D2 as there is no knob on top where one should be. It certainly looks like a 1 series camera but the lack of the aforementioned grip on the base says it isn't.

Also, at the front of the camera the rubber that covers the USB ports doesn't match any of the above (I have all of them to compare).

The absence of a control dial suggests it is a 1 series but the lack of battery compartment at the base makes it most interesting as all 1 series cameras had the same shape.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:52:56 AM by wockawocka »
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

Polansky

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 07:18:05 AM »
It's a frankencamera.

That isn't a 5D2, a 1D4 or a 1DS3, promise. Firstly the grip on the base is missing and it's not a 5D2 as there is no knob on top where one should be. It certainly looks like a 1 series camera but the lack of the aforementioned grip on the base says it isn't.

Also, at the front of the camera the rubber that covers the USB ports doesn't match any of the above (I have all of them to compare).

The absence of a control dial suggests it is a 1 series but the lack of battery compartment at the base makes it most interesting as all 1 series cameras had the same shape.

I am not so sure, I do think there is a dial on top of that camera. But its hard to distinguish from the background. Have we identified the lens.

My initial thought was that this was a 15-35mm but it isn't. Also it isn't a 24-70.
However I do not own a 24-105, so meaby its just that lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 07:18:05 AM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 07:54:26 AM »
Enlarged 2 of the pics... in PS.

Looks like a 5d type body form. The head holder/bracket makes it seem like a 1d body but it is not that deep like a 1d. The model number is sharpied out so this is definitely in disguise!
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 07:57:30 AM »
increased exposure on shadows and the dial is visible...

I am leaning towards the 5D (look at the sharpie mark, its too wide to cover a "1")

or the sharpie could also be a hidden "3"  !!!
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 07:57:30 AM »