October 25, 2014, 07:54:08 PM

Author Topic: A New EOS M with EVF Second Half of 2014?  (Read 7754 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: A New EOS M with EVF Second Half of 2014?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 12:26:50 PM »
A eos-m with evf would be amazing! Who likes looking at a LCD screen for photos..

Tens of millions of people that every day use their smart phone to take a picture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 12:26:50 PM »

linus

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 12:37:46 PM »
To the extent that Canon realized it had a pr problem (after last week's news that the m2 wouldn't be sold outside Asia) this is good news.

As an m1 owner it's exciting to hear that an evf one is still in the pipeline and that video (which seemed always to be a potential strength with these) will be a focus in the future.

If the anticipated evf model comes out next year I think it will make the system formidable among mirrorless cameras (even if I think it is already underrated given the first one's capabilities and solid [if limited] native lens offerings).

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 01:02:09 PM »
Relying on Google Translate is dangerous, I admit, and I'd love for someone to provide a better translation.

Here  is what I think the interview says:

Canon is committed to EOS-M. They intend to introduce new lenses to support the system. The main reason for EOS-M is smaller size. (My take – there will be new EOS-M lenses introduced. Don't hold your breath for a full frame EOS-M – defeats the purpose of smaller size and would require a third set of lenses. Not gonna happen)

Canon's focus is not mirrorless or SLR, it is both. (My take – aside from a good line, this is probably true. Canon and Nikon are both way too invested in the SLR format to give it up without a fight. SL-1 is probably just one of many innovations we will see from these two manufacturers as they work to keep SLRs viable)

Future of DSLRS (My take – he seems to be saying that the future development for DSLRs will be in improved sensor performance and innovation, such as the dual pixel technology. But there also seems to be some references to overall sensor quality. Kind of a no-brainer but it sounds like he is saying that the improvements in future DSLRs will be in incremental improvements in the quality of the capture)

Future of Point and Shoots (My take: he seems to be saying that they recognize that fixed-lens compacts have to adapt. It sounds like they feel the future lies in niche cameras -- high quality pocketable cameras, superzoom cameras, probably waterproof, etc. But, they think the format is still viable and they are adapting to changing market conditions)

Video (My take: it's clear from the interview they are very comfortable with where Canon is at in terms of the video market and we should all expect them to continue to innovate and emphasize video functionality in their products.)

I'm hoping someone can provide a real human translation, rather than a machine translation, but that's what I think are the high points. Feel free to correct and add your own interpretations.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 01:39:10 PM »
Interesting ... I think by 2015 the big players (Canon & Nikon) could very well come up with full frame mirror less cameras.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

ishdakuteb

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 02:08:55 PM »
suggest to be integrated instead of add-on EVF

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 02:46:24 PM »
On the topic of EVFs being small, I just realized that the size of the viewfinder is another area where the EVF could be superior. They can make an EVF as big as they want, where an SLR is limited by the size of the image coming off the mirror.

I guess the reason we haven't seen any super wide field of view EVFs would be the extra size, which again makes me want a no-compromise pro mirrorless body.
-100% RAW-

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 03:42:53 PM »
One thing is not clear: what is this M2 going to offer over the competition?

Not a bigger or better sensor, not a better lens selection... Why would one pick it? They had to drop the price ridiculously in order to get the M1 competitive. Are they going the down same way again, yet somehow they expect a different result?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 03:42:53 PM »

jasonsim

• EOS M2
  • Hobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 04:03:36 PM »
we really have to wait until the second half of 2014 for the possibility of an M with a viewfinder? The M has been out well over a year now and there is no replacement in the works? Aren't these sort of entry level cameras usually replaced every year or so? Why are they so unprepared and disinterested in making a compelling product?
The only positive hope I have is that they dont want to piss off Americans when they rehash the M system in to a full frame option next year so they are just keeping it low profile and focusing more on the Asian market in the meantime.
I'd be thrilled if Canon created a full frame mirrorless option to lead the EOS-M lineup.

I don't believe the EOS M was ever meant to be entry level.  It has a nice solid body and feel.  The ef-m lenses are all top quality with metal mounts.  All that's missing are the red rings.  So, it should not be surprising that no next version will be available anytime soon.

I am just hoping, as others are too, that Canon will come out with some telephoto lenses (zoom or prime).  At least to get you to 200mm.  Even something like an ef-m 15-85mm IS STM would be a real hit!

Kind regards,
Jason S.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:05:34 PM by jasonsim »
Cams: Canon 5D3, EOS M
Zooms: 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; Primes: 22mm f/2, 40mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 135mm f/2L, 300mm f/2.8L IS II, 600mm f/4L IS II
Support: Gitzo GT4542LS/G2258, RRS BH-55, Wimberley WH-200

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 04:23:01 PM »
I particularly like the sound that more lenses are coming.  I'm actually not dissatisfied with my M body for the minimal amount that I have invested in it, but I really want a EF-M mount telephoto along with another fast prime somewhere around 50mm.

In the meantime, have you considered the EF-M to EF/EF-S adapter?

I own it.  Have you considered the size of the 70-300L mounted on an M body?  I'm not trying to be snarky, but my point is that I would like a very compact (M sized) telephoto to take for a tele option while traveling.   For general purpose travel I often carry my 70-300L along with a general purpose zoom (Tamron 24-70 VC) and one of my 6D bodies, but I shoot relatively few tele shots and that makes the 70-300L a weight that I sometimes regret carrying.  A compact tele on the M would satisfy that need while taking up far less space and weighing a fraction of the 70-300L's bulk.  The lenses that have been developed for the M have been excellent, and a compact 50-200 tele would be a great option.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:26:24 PM by TWI by Dustin Abbott »
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 04:43:46 PM »
WOW!!!

Canon considers announcing another incrementally improved iteration of a marketing crippled small-sensored low-DR hi-banding very video-optimized very small EOS-M# maybe even accompanied by boring new lens (but not for sale outside Japan) in late 2014 already! 

Way to go Canon! You are the best. No other camera manufacturer could bring us such a marvel of innovation so soon. Not Nikon and most definitely not Sony.

;D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:45:22 PM by AvTvM »

dufflover

• Rebel T5i
  • OH YEAH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 05:22:32 PM »
It'll be interesting how much size the EVF adds. For me any size increase would knock it off the list and I'd rather just go with the SLR. I'm not against EVFs; infact I'd love EVFs once they get to a good smooth and sharp appearance (I've heard Sony is getting close ...) because I could definitely use the "predicted exposure" view and then things like little x10 focus insets, etc. If people want to label it as a crutch, so be it. I'll happily take the features. But that's EVFs in general ... EOS-M for me is all size. Pity the pancake is as chunky as it is.
Hurry up Canon and do something with your sensors! :P

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 06:02:52 PM »
It'll be interesting how much size the EVF adds. For me any size increase would knock it off the list and I'd rather just go with the SLR. I'm not against EVFs; infact I'd love EVFs once they get to a good smooth and sharp appearance (I've heard Sony is getting close ...) because I could definitely use the "predicted exposure" view and then things like little x10 focus insets, etc. If people want to label it as a crutch, so be it. I'll happily take the features. But that's EVFs in general ... EOS-M for me is all size. Pity the pancake is as chunky as it is.

OK. I am very fond of my M. I have read many here talking smack about its limitations. Fair enough. I am not comparing the M with DSLRs, I am comparing it to P&S cameras, and with that in mind, I like it. All I really want is a couple more primes. I have the 18-55 and it is a very nice zoom. I just don't like the size. Give me an EF-M 15f/x and an EF-M 50f/x in a pancake size and I will be very happy indeed. However, I draw the line at anyone badmouthing the wonderful EF-M22. CHUNKY! Compared to what? It is a truly perfect lens for this camera, so that will be enough of that 8)

JonAustin

• EOS M2
  • Telecom / IT consultant and occasional pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 06:05:34 PM »
... have you considered the EF-M to EF/EF-S adapter?

I own it.  Have you considered the size of the 70-300L mounted on an M body?  I'm not trying to be snarky, but my point is that I would like a very compact (M sized) telephoto to take for a tele option while traveling.   For general purpose travel I often carry my 70-300L along with a general purpose zoom (Tamron 24-70 VC) and one of my 6D bodies, but I shoot relatively few tele shots and that makes the 70-300L a weight that I sometimes regret carrying.  A compact tele on the M would satisfy that need while taking up far less space and weighing a fraction of the 70-300L's bulk.  The lenses that have been developed for the M have been excellent, and a compact 50-200 tele would be a great option.

No snarkiness taken. You didn't cite the EF-M to EF/EF-S adapter in your rather comprehensive list of gear, so I didn't know you already had one. I don't disagree that a large EF telezoom mounted on the M is unwieldy. I recall a photo I saw during the early days following the release of the M, that had one with either a 600- or 800mm lens mounted ... I think the absurdity of its appearance was the entire point.

I agree with you about the weight and bulk of the bigger telezooms ... I sometimes regret humping my 70-200/2.8 IS along on trips -- frequently with the 1.4x TC attached -- when I end up not using it.

Anyway, I don't personally own or want a mirrorless camera, so I'm just a bystander here. (Nor can I talk my wife into replacing her S95 with one; it was a major achievement just to get her to switch from shooting in full auto to Program AE, so I could change the capture format from JPEG to RAW.)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:17:18 PM by JonAustin »
Photographic equipment

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 06:05:34 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 06:20:35 PM »
well well well
To little too late, enjoying the a7r.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Proffarm

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 06:27:49 PM »

OK. I am very fond of my M. I have read many here talking smack about its limitations. Fair enough. I am not comparing the M with DSLRs, I am comparing it to P&S cameras, and with that in mind, I like it. All I really want is a couple more primes. I have the 18-55 and it is a very nice zoom. I just don't like the size. Give me an EF-M 15f/x and an EF-M 50f/x in a pancake size and I will be very happy indeed. However, I draw the line at anyone badmouthing the wonderful EF-M22. CHUNKY! Compared to what? It is a truly perfect lens for this camera, so that will be enough of that 8)

Seriously... Chunky..? Yeah, sure, it's chunky-chunky compared to my iPhone 5 I guess...

M LOVERS UNITE!!!!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 06:27:49 PM »