December 21, 2014, 12:02:30 PM

Author Topic: A New EOS M with EVF Second Half of 2014?  (Read 8534 times)

djrocks66

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: A New EOS M with EVF Second Half of 2014?
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2013, 08:58:34 PM »
Not sure I would have paid top dollar for the M. I swore I wouldn't get another small camera without a viewfinder or at least an add on. I just couldn't pass up the huge price drop to $299 with the 22mm lens. I love this little camera. If it had a fill flash and the option to turn off the touch screen it would be perfect for my use. But I still enjoy using it when I want to go nimble. It produces great images. Here are some from the other night all ISO 1600. The Theater at MSG.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2013, 08:58:34 PM »

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 09:05:30 PM »
"Video performance will be a key feature of future EOS M development."

Meh.. Just give us more outperforming EF-M lenses!  My EF-M 22 mm and 18-55 mm are outstanding lenses, performing way above their prices  :D

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 12:57:05 AM »
New lenses? Great. Just when I gave up and bought two FD lenses! I've been using the FD 50mm 1.4 and it actually doesn't look all that big on the M. It's a little front heavy but I like the weight and you can grip it better with your left hand cradling the lens.

I also bought an FD 100mm 2.8, just waiting for it to arrive.

Since we already have a wide angle zoom and general purpose zoom it stands to reason we'll see a tele zoom for the M. That would be very interesting. Perhaps a prime to go along with it? I hope it has IS as the M really needs it.

This is promising news for the M series, I'm glad Canon haven't decided to scrap it totally.

6D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 01:11:58 AM »
Not sure I would have paid top dollar for the M. I swore I wouldn't get another small camera without a viewfinder or at least an add on. I just couldn't pass up the huge price drop to $299 with the 22mm lens. I love this little camera. If it had a fill flash and the option to turn off the touch screen it would be perfect for my use. But I still enjoy using it when I want to go nimble. It produces great images. Here are some from the other night all ISO 1600. The Theater at MSG.

Yeah the touch screen... that's what I like about my Nex-6; Sony went for dials and it has no touchscreen :)
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 07:58:55 AM »
well well well
To little too late, enjoying the a7r.

I am so eying the Fuji XE2 with the 23mm 1.4. Suits my needs better for my 'casual' camera needs - f1.4. Great high ISO, light, built in flash. I do not need full frame for my 'casual/dinner out' camera.

Having said that I am glad you enjoying a7r. If I did not have my Canon gear I would certainly choose the Sony to be my camera. I think after I get the XE2 I will stop carrying my 5d3 for holidays.

djrocks66

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 08:53:08 AM »

Yeah the touch screen... that's what I like about my Nex-6; Sony went for dials and it has no touchscreen :)

I had a Nex-6. Great camera but I couldn't stand the menu system and you are right, it begged for a touch screen. I love the touch screen on the M but I just wish you can turn it off at times because I keep changing settings when I accidentally bump the screen.

fxk

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2013, 11:01:51 AM »
New lenses? Great. Just when I gave up and bought two FD lenses! I've been using the FD 50mm 1.4 and it actually doesn't look all that big on the M. It's a little front heavy but I like the weight and you can grip it better with your left hand cradling the lens.

I also bought an FD 100mm 2.8, just waiting for it to arrive.

Since we already have a wide angle zoom and general purpose zoom it stands to reason we'll see a tele zoom for the M. That would be very interesting. Perhaps a prime to go along with it? I hope it has IS as the M really needs it.

This is promising news for the M series, I'm glad Canon haven't decided to scrap it totally.

ANY camera held at arm's length would need IS - that's one MAJOR advantage with an eye level viewfinder - it becomes a three point brace (head, left hand and right hand all braced against the bod) and the camera can be cradled in the left hand worth at least 2 stops. 

People (at least this people) would want something larger than than a FB or any social media post - that's where the big sensor comes into play.  The bigger the blowup, the steadier the camera needs  to be (and still be sharp)

Canon has already made the decision not to follow other maker's lead with in-camera IS.  I think that's apparent in the lenses coming out, mostly all with IS in the lens.

Same thing for the FF dreamers - Canon has designed these lenses with the image circle to cover the APS-C sensor, not FF.  Don't count on yet another line of canon lenses in this mount with the image circle large enough for FF.

Bracing the camera is fact.  Of course, the last two points is me reading the tea leaves - YMMV.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2013, 11:01:51 AM »

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2013, 12:36:38 PM »

I had a Nex-6. Great camera but I couldn't stand the menu system and you are right, it begged for a touch screen. I love the touch screen on the M but I just wish you can turn it off at times because I keep changing settings when I accidentally bump the screen.

I don't miss the touch screen, but that said, I like the NEX-6 but I don't love it.
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2013, 02:07:55 PM »
Same thing for the FF dreamers - Canon has designed these lenses with the image circle to cover the APS-C sensor, not FF.  Don't count on yet another line of canon lenses in this mount with the image circle large enough for FF.

Bracing the camera is fact.  Of course, the last two points is me reading the tea leaves - YMMV.

Canon will have to offer a range of FF mirrorless cameras with a shorter-than-EF-flange-distance. Plus new, native lenses. There will be much less pain than in the transition from FD to EF lenses, since EF to shorter-flange-distance can easily be bridged by adapters. So existing lenses do not use their functionality at once.

Only question is WHEN, not IF. I'd say they are not able to do it in 2014. By 2015 they might be.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 05:44:55 PM by AvTvM »

djrocks66

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »

I don't miss the touch screen, but that said, I like the NEX-6 but I don't love it.

Sorry, I thought you said you wished the NEX-6 had a touch screen. :)

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2013, 12:52:32 PM »

Sorry, I thought you said you wished the NEX-6 had a touch screen. :)

I like camera's that I can operate by 'feel' ie with my eye to the viewfinder; hence I don't really like touch screens ;)

Sella174

• 1D Mark IV
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2013, 08:44:40 AM »
The only reason to buy this EOS-M2 (and the future EOS-M3) is the seamless integration of current EF/EF-S lenses. As a system (or a camera) in own right, the EOS-M/M2 is nearly four years behind micro-4/3. By the time Canon gets to where mirrorless systems are today (e.g. Panasonic GX7 and Olympus E-M1), even Sony will have (in all probability) a fairly decent set of (native, FF mirrorless) lenses. Canon executives should go read up on (biological) mass extinctions and then look at their own products.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

Bob Howland

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2013, 10:30:30 AM »
The only reason to buy this EOS-M2 (and the future EOS-M3) is the seamless integration of current EF/EF-S lenses. 

+10. Some of the M4/3 models are looking mighty tempting. However, my 5D3 with a small prime lens and without the battery pack is "small enough" for most of my uses. I don't put cameras in my pockets.

As a system (or a camera) in own right, the EOS-M/M2 is nearly four years behind micro-4/3. By the time Canon gets to where mirrorless systems are today (e.g. Panasonic GX7 and Olympus E-M1), even Sony will have (in all probability) a fairly decent set of (native, FF mirrorless) lenses.

I think you're being overly pessimistic. Canon could make up the entire 4-year lag in the next one or two models, for example introducing a couple models comparable to the GX7, except that one is FF. The question is whether they want to.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2013, 10:30:30 AM »

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2013, 12:54:01 PM »

really like your pics #2 and especially #3 ... great stuff! Congrats!  8)

djrocks66

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2013, 06:56:26 PM »

really like your pics #2 and especially #3 ... great stuff! Congrats!  8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2013, 06:56:26 PM »