August 23, 2014, 11:43:54 AM

Author Topic: Useless or absurd accessories  (Read 20236 times)

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
Re: Useless or absurd accessories
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 03:02:21 PM »
I find the neck strap that comes with most brands of cameras to be useless and absurd, its only good for giving my neck some serious pains.  apparently Canon understands this, since they sent me a good neck strap as a CPS member.

Yes, " apparently Canon understands this, since they sent me a good neck strap as a CPS member. "
+ 1 for me too, Dear Mr. Mt Spokane.
But Now, CPS start to be a cheapo since last year, They not send that great Neck strap to us any more.
Surapon

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »
Tied with the "tripod" that has flexible legs and can supposedly wrap around a fence post or branch.

I really hope I am not the only one who fell for that, this thing can barely carry its own weight, but it really reminded me of the "buy cheap, pay double" saying :-\

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 03:37:44 PM »
Tied with the "tripod" that has flexible legs and can supposedly wrap around a fence post or branch.

I really hope I am not the only one who fell for that, this thing can barely carry its own weight, but it really reminded me of the "buy cheap, pay double" saying :-\
I tried one in store and could not get it to hold onto anything.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 03:42:47 PM »

With the model I know they're smart enough to put it into a tight casing so you have to buy it before realizing that it's no good ... and in addition to that I ordered mine online, not a large loss of $$$ mind you but that's probably just what keeps them going.

Skatol

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Richardson Photographic
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 04:11:36 PM »

With the model I know they're smart enough to put it into a tight casing so you have to buy it before realizing that it's no good ... and in addition to that I ordered mine online, not a large loss of $$$ mind you but that's probably just what keeps them going.

Love mine.  Holds my 5diii with grip and 16-35/24-105/100 IS with no problems.  Much easier to hike with than a full size tripod.
5DIII, 7D and too many lenses to list.
Too much time, too little gear...scratch that, reverse it.

rs

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »

Love mine.  Holds my 5diii with grip and 16-35/24-105/100 IS with no problems.  Much easier to hike with than a full size tripod.
It largely depends on the model. I had the SLR Zoom version for some time - it worked within its limits. However, one of the plastic cups broke (its quite a common problem), and from then on, not only wouldn't it grip onto anything, but it couldn't even hold its own weight up when using it as a mini tripod. I now have the focus version (with metal cups in the legs), and it is good for what it is. However, if wrapping around something to mount a camera for any long duration (more than a few minutes), I'd only consider using it in combination with a good buckle strap tightly wrapped around the legs.

My preferred long term mount of choice is the Manfrotto Magic Arm with a Super Clamp.
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 06:29:57 PM »
I bought a micro camera to clip onto Fluffy's collar to see what she did all day. The camera was set to take an image every 10 seconds. I managed to capture 9 hours of sleeping cat.

I tried it on her outside. She came back without camera and collar. I never found it.

That's too Funny Man, I'm still laughing, not sure which part was the best, the sleeping Cat (there's a surprise  ;D ) or the missing Camera & Collar, nice neighbourhood.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 07:03:03 PM »
It's interesting that after 21 posts, there have been precious few genuinely absurd accessories stories. Many of us may have made dumb purchases along the lines of the cheap tripod folly, but what I'm reading is that most of us a actually reasonably savvy about what represents a genuinely useful addition to the kit.

Aren't we a smart bunch!

-pw

ninjapeps

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 07:33:21 PM »
Lens hoods for UWA lenses? They've just never seemed to serve any purpose to me, especially since I mainly use hoods as added protection for my front elements.

If we're not restricted to photography gear, those supposed anti-radiation strips for cellphones. They're strips of plastic and metal pasted on a cellphone casing. How is that supposed to stop radiation?
sanity is for people without imagination

cellomaster27

• EOS M2
  • Capture the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 08:15:47 PM »
ND filters from China.  Hong Kong to be exact.  Didn't want to go for the expensive Lee or other good brands.  Cheap filters from tiffen, vivitar.. Cheap macro filter set.  Slew of third party lens hoods..  I guess we live and learn, usually the long route.   ;D 

Oh!  Can I include camera bags??  But then maybe that's more preference based..  ::)
Canon stuff

tcmatthews

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 08:22:14 PM »
What have you seen for idiotic accessories or for items that were just not thought out....

I saw a car window mount tripod head..... You roll down the window, slip it over the edge of the glass, and mount your camera or spotting scope to it. This one was marketed as XXXXXX window mount, real tree camouflage. Why would you need camouflage? With a couple of square inches of camouflage the critters will not be able to see you? That somehow they will miss the car, the big white lens, and the person behind it, but it is the tiny mount that matters?

Sort of like camouflage flashlights :)

I believe it is intended to mount on the window of a deer blind while hunting.  I actually have a black Bass Pro version. Only used it once.  Most of the deer blinds I am in have a window seal that is two wide.  I know that it shows it attached to a car window but that is ridiculous. 

When I first started I bought a very cheep $19.95 Dynex tripod.  Being low on funds and insisting on owning a tripod it was my only option at the time. 

First thing the plastic tripod head popped right out of the aluminum center column.  I had to DIY fix it.  The plastic head had a small hole in the bottom of the tripod head.  I shoved a peace of an old broken fishing rod in the hold and taped up ring sections to add reinforcement and epoxied the tripod head back on the shaft. 

I would not trust the tripod with a 5d but it is fine will a rebel or other small camera and small lens.  I even used it for a while with my 60d.  (That was a little scary at times.  I finally bough a real tripod but I sometimes use it to hold my NEX or an external flash.

Sense I am using every excuse to test my 6D this week I include pictures.

6D, 60D, Rebel XS, EF-S 15-85,  EF 70-200f4L, EF 100f2.8L,  Tamron 70-300VC,  Tamaron 28-75f2.8,   EF 40f2.8,  EF 50f1.8, EF 85f1.8, EF 24mmf2.8IS  EOS M 22f2, 18-55, EOS M-EF adapter, Nex6,  SEL50f18,  SEL1018,  DN 30f2.8, adpaters and Fd and M42 lens.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 08:52:02 PM »
Someone once said (may have been my Father), when you have a great idea, wait awhile, it generally goes away.

The attached is one of the most useless pieces of equipment I've ever had a good idea about.

I think in these Images the "joints" must have been super glued.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:55:03 PM by eml58 »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 08:54:29 PM »
And one of the few items (I know, it's not Photographic) but is a bigger lesson in Futility is.....

surapon

• 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »
Yes, I am Canon FAN since 1965, and My First Canon  camera = FT-QL yes, One of the best( Great Cost= $ 100 US Dollars in that Time)----Since that time, I buy only Canon equipment and get the Best use of them--Until  1978, I brought Canon Grip/ Stand for my Canon A2E = Canon Grip GR-100TP = $ 100 Us Dollars---And It can not carry the Load( USELESS/ STUPID INVESTMENT) of my Love A2E-----Ha, Ha, Ha, The Bolt can not tight enough to carry the Load---I just throw in to the box and never see it again, Until I read this Post---I just find It and try with my 7D ( Yes, I remove the Battery Grip out first), and try this Grip again, Well --No, This Grip still not work for me. BUT, I will use with my new toy EOS-M that I just order, And Will get with in next 5 days Plus I will add DIY , the Hand Grip for this M machine too. I hope that, It will work for this Tiny camera
Enjoy
Surapon

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 10:35:48 PM »
What have you seen for idiotic accessories or for items that were just not thought out....

I saw a car window mount tripod head..... You roll down the window, slip it over the edge of the glass, and mount your camera or spotting scope to it. This one was marketed as XXXXXX window mount, real tree camouflage. Why would you need camouflage? With a couple of square inches of camouflage the critters will not be able to see you? That somehow they will miss the car, the big white lens, and the person behind it, but it is the tiny mount that matters?

Sort of like camouflage flashlights :)

I cannot speak to the camouflage, but the slip over the car window tripod head can be quite a useful accessory, if you are shooting things where you don't want to get out of your car but still want a decently stable platform.

I have one - I've used it for shooting waves crashing on the beach during a storm.

(I've also used it to hold a traffic radar antenna when clocking a road race).