October 01, 2014, 12:52:42 PM

Author Topic: Useless or absurd accessories  (Read 21069 times)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: Useless or absurd accessories
« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2013, 10:13:10 AM »
Friends don't let friends buy Soft Focus filters.

I would put all filters in that category, with the exception of clear and UV-blocking filters, and with the possible exception of IR-pass filters.  You can do pretty much anything else in post, but once you burn an effect into a photo, it's there forever....  :)
And ND filters.... it is hard to emulate the blurring of moving objects while keeping still elements intact is post-processing, like a waterfall....

I'd like to see you emulate a polarising filter in post, getting ride of reflections and glare.

Emulating a long exposure in bright sunlight could prove difficult as well.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 01:05:03 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2013, 10:13:10 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 15, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »
Tied with the "tripod" that has flexible legs and can supposedly wrap around a fence post or branch.  (The brand name has something to do with primates.)  Yeah, it might work with a smartphone attached, but not a dSLR of any size or brand.

I have one of those (don't remember which brand).  It struggled to even support the weight of a subcompact camcorder.  No, such hardware is worse than useless because it gives the false impression that it might actually work, then drops your camera in a smoking, $5,000 pile of glass and plastic....

If you don't remember the brand, you probably don't remember the model.  Joby makes 8 models of Gorillapods spanning a 20-fold load range (250 g to 5 kg).   If you overloaded yours, that's user error, and if your camera falls, that's user foolishness (to be polite).  The one I have supports its rated load with no trouble.

I would put all filters in that category, with the exception of clear and UV-blocking filters, and with the possible exception of IR-pass filters.  You can do pretty much anything else in post, but once you burn an effect into a photo, it's there forever....  :)

As others have pointed out, it's clear you don't understand the potential uses of filters in digital photography.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
« Reply #152 on: December 15, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »
I have a serious "hobby" (read: addiction) concerning cheap ebay gadgets and thus, I own countless small silly items that get little or no use. As an Avid DIY guy however, more often than not, I end up using the item or part of it later for something else.  My Gorillapod knock-off will NOT sustain my 5D3, but it has become my favorite portable microphone stand for my home studio and/or when I perform my electronic singer/songwriter/laptop music:)
I am still undecided on the white balance lens caps I own - they could be really useful for DSLR video when I get around to tweaking the wb bias settings (the caps I have typically result in a cooler wb than I like)
I can only agree on the horribly designed lens caps hoods.. Bought a screw-in version by mistake for my 35mm IS - I barely needed to mount it to realize that it is a waste of good plastic :)
Even though the remote shutter release seems like such a usable item it barely gets any use whatsoever.
Funny thread :D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 03:16:36 PM by eyeland »
5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2013, 01:19:52 PM »
If you don't remember the brand, you probably don't remember the model.  Joby makes 8 models of Gorillapods spanning a 20-fold load range (250 g to 5 kg).   If you overloaded yours, that's user error, and if your camera falls, that's user foolishness (to be polite).  The one I have supports its rated load with no trouble.
+1
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2013, 01:43:54 PM »
Someone once said (may have been my Father), when you have a great idea, wait awhile, it generally goes away.

The attached is one of the most useless pieces of equipment I've ever had a good idea about.

I think in these Images the "joints" must have been super glued.
I actually bought the ballhead version of this. After trying it and concluding that it doesn't work, it's been collecting dust.
But when I saw this thread started, I thought we would see loads of useless crap, but after close to 40 years, I have a hard time thinking of any really useless and/or absurd gadgets.
The area where I have wasted most money is probably on tripods and heads. Always trying to cope with something cheap, always ending up buying something better and more expensive.

It is actually not a bad idea, imho.. I have never had a Gorillapod, but I bought the tiny Manfrotto table tripod with a ball head. I can hold my 5D II gripped plus 70-200 II steady without a problem. I bring it when I travel far away for the possibility to capture nighttime long exposures. The Gorillapods I have seen, have not pretended to be supportive of DSLRs.

My most stupid buy was a cheap ring flash. Its recycling time is horrendous, and the quaity of light is really ugly. There are no such things as a real cheap good ring flash. The plastic thing that you mount to your flash can be fun.
1Dx, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

mpphoto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2013, 04:17:54 PM »
Expodisc.

Ouch.  I think we have all, at one time or another, briefly considered buying one of those.

Why the regret?  Is it that bad?

I bought a Vello white balance disc.  One with a handle.  Hold the disc in front of the lens, take a picture, then set custom white balance.  My results were inconsistent to poor.  In one circumstance, white balance was perfect.  Then there were the three times I used the disc and my images were on the cool side.  A slight blue or green tint that just looked bad.

I thought about keeping it, hoping to find a situation where it would work well.  But I decided I'd rather have my $30 back and will return the thing. 

Actually, this topic inspired me to return the white balance disc.  I already have enough purchases that seemed like good ideas at the time, but didn't pan out well.  Too-small camera and tripod bags, spirit levels I never use.  Might as well get my money back while I can, instead of adding to my inventory of useless accessories.
EOS Rebel T3i, PowerShot G15, EOS 60D, EOS 5D Mark III

dgatwood

• 5D Mark III
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2013, 08:41:42 PM »

I'd like to see you emulate a polarising filter in post, getting ride of reflections and glare.
Emulating a long exposure in bright sunlight could prove difficult as well.

I personally think of both polarizers and ND filters as being in the "clear" category.  The whole point of both is that they don't substantially alter the shot other than reducing the amount of light and/or glare.

With that said, I can emulate a long exposure by averaging several shots with the same framing, and there are ways to tame reflections as well, though they're a much bigger pain in the ***.  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2013, 08:41:42 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2013, 09:03:45 PM »
I personally think of both polarizers and ND filters as being in the "clear" category.

So, you personally think a 10-stop ND filter should be referred to as 'clear'?  I do not think that word means what you think it means. :o
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Ben Taylor

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2013, 09:12:17 PM »
I personally think of both polarizers and ND filters as being in the "clear" category.

So, you personally think a 10-stop ND filter should be referred to as 'clear'?  I do not think that word means what you think it means. :o

Jon I think you should head off to your local optometrist for a check up. Obviously your pupils don't dilate enough to make a 10 stop ND appear clear when you hold it up to your eye.  :D

This entire thread if full of absurd decisions rather than absurd accessories. Except that tiny camera attached to the cat, that's both useless and hilarious!
5D Mark III  | 5D Mark II  |  Samyang 14mm f/2.8  | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L  |  Sigma 85mm f/1.4L  |  Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II  | Canon 2X Extender III  |  Canon 580 EX II  | RRS TVC 34L + RRS BH55 LR                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
« Reply #159 on: December 16, 2013, 09:38:14 AM »
My most stupid buy was a cheap ring flash.
Mm, had totally forgotten about that one.. Was planning to do a few heads-shots of some DJ friends for their social media profiles and such and figured that this would be the proper use of the sometime corny "ring-shaped-catch-lights-around the pupil", so I picked one of the few cheap models that claimed compatibility with 77mm filter thread. When it arrived, I realized: (i) that the circuitry gave off a high-frequency noise that was very unpleasant and (ii) whereas the device was physically compatible with 77mm, you could actually see the ring in the frame - even at 105mm :D Wrote a sad mail to the ebay seller and he refunded my 50$ and told me that I could keep the device...
Except that tiny camera attached to the cat, that's both useless and hilarious!

I remember seeing a video somewhere using one of the cat cameras that was absolutely amazing.
I'd get one (and a cat:D)if my wife wasn't allergic ..
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 09:42:05 AM by eyeland »
5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 16, 2013, 10:16:31 AM »
I bought a micro camera to clip onto Fluffy's collar to see what she did all day. The camera was set to take an image every 10 seconds. I managed to capture 9 hours of sleeping cat.

I tried it on her outside. She came back without camera and collar. I never found it.
Personal attention! Found lost camera of the cat's neck. :o Watch the video.

http://youtu.be/Ky90oZOMvt8

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 16, 2013, 10:40:14 AM »
I bought a micro camera to clip onto Fluffy's collar to see what she did all day. The camera was set to take an image every 10 seconds. I managed to capture 9 hours of sleeping cat.

I tried it on her outside. She came back without camera and collar. I never found it.

YES!!!! That's the kind of stupidity I was hoping to see when I started this thread! :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

surapon

• 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2013, 10:51:10 AM »

YES!!!! That's the kind of stupidity I was hoping to see when I started this thread! :)

+ 1 for me too.
Surapon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2013, 10:51:10 AM »

Zlyden

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 16, 2013, 11:34:34 AM »

;D

Well... why not to tie 1D X with EF 600 to cat's neck next time?

(Or D7 with EF 300 as some forum members insist -- you might get really cool pictures of birds in you neighborhood...)
G7 | EOS M | 400D | 6D
EF: 50/1.8 II | 17-40 | 24-105 | 70-300DO / EF-S: 10-22 | 18-55 | 18-55 IS | Sigma 30/1.4 (old one) / EF-M: 11-22 | 18-55 | 22
I also own few Canon flashes, remotes, blends, bags, cases (including waterproof one) and even batteries! :)

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 17, 2013, 01:48:34 AM »
why not to tie 1D X with EF 600 to cat's neck next time?

(Or D7 with EF 300 -- you might get really cool pictures of birds in you neighborhood...)
Brilliant idea ...not at all absurd  ;D
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: December 17, 2013, 01:48:34 AM »