July 29, 2014, 06:51:53 AM

Author Topic: Are you horizontally challenged?  (Read 2281 times)

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
Re: Are you horizontally challenged?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 12:07:23 PM »
Try the following
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672911-REG/Seculine_AL_205_AL_205_Action_Level_Cross.html

Thanks you, Sir, Sound Great , Dear Mr. Eli452.
But " Seculine AL-205 Action Level Cross
B&H # SEAL205 ■ Mfr # AL-205
No Longer Available "
Thanks again.
Surapon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 12:07:23 PM »

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 12:12:21 PM »
Try the following

The problem is that all these occupy the hotshoe, and that's where my flash or transmitter is (since the 6d has gps and wifi, but no rt flash transmitter - thank you Canon :-\).

Yes, Sir, I will try this eye level/ this wonderful point of view at the animal from now on.

Oh well, another fluffy bunny snapshot for Surapon :-) ... I take a lot of pictures lying on flat on the ground, crawling through mud or kneeing in waist-high water to get to eye level of animals.

Dear Sir, Mr. Marsu42.
You are the Real PRO, Who " I take a lot of pictures lying on flat on the ground, crawling through mud or kneeing in waist-high water to get to eye level of animals. "---I will lean from you for the first time in my life, to go in the mud, in the water and lay on the ground---Yes, My wife will hate me, When I change from the Hobby to be the PRO----Ha, Ha, Ha.
Thanks you, Sir.
Surapon
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:50:28 PM by surapon »

mrzero

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 12:31:52 PM »
As a sample, here's a "problem" type shot: Even though (or because?) there is a table leg in the background as some reference, all angles look somehow wrong certainly including the one where the leg has a 90 degrees angle to the screen sides. But maybe that's just me, and maybe it would look different in print than on the screen?

Sometimes I think you need to consider the framing with fresh eyes.  I don't see that as a "problem" shot at all, because I don't see a table leg in the background.  Only you know that thing is a table leg.  (BTW, I love the bokeh.  Bunny bokeh.  Awesome!)  Once you accept that, you are free to rotate the crop so the lines of the photo flow the way you want them to.
Canon 6d, t1i, 20/2.8, 28/1.8, 40/2.8, 50/1.8II, 100/2.8 macro, 70-300/4-5.6, g1x, 430exII, 90ex
Elan 7N with 28-105/3.5-4.5II, Rebel G with 35-70/3.5-4.5, A-1 with 28/2.8, 50/1.8, and 135/3.5

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 12:36:51 PM »
You are the Real PRO

Thanks, unfortunately "pro" would involve making some money, but I'm working on that :-p ...

... but I know many photogs are not able to or are too reluctant to get into awkward positions, that's why I try to do it to produce something different than the rest. Though I recently was questioning my own strategy after kneeing for two hours in cold water up to the breast in a pond to get some frog shots, but they turned out nice and it's real wild wildlife :-)

Sometimes I think you need to consider the framing with fresh eyes.  I don't see that as a "problem" shot at all, because I don't see a table leg in the background.

Good point, thank you, some distance often helps, I didn't even blur or post-process the background further.

It labeled it a "problem" shot because the framing was extremely tight (behind me was a wall) and I took you-dont-want-to-know how many shots not only to nail the focus @100% crop, but to get the framing right because neither aligning the background nor the subject to a 90/180 degree straight level worked.

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 12:41:47 PM »

Oh well, another fluffy bunny snapshot for Surapon :-) ... I take a lot of pictures lying on flat on the ground, crawling through mud or kneeing in waist-high water to get to eye level of animals.

Only waist-deep? Look at Mate Bence :)

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 12:56:03 PM »

Ha, Ha, Ha, Dear Mr. ahab1372.
Well in this case, I will hire some of the PRO to do the job for me, I do not want to play with snake or alligators---Yes, If I die, My wife will be very happy person to remarry with young and handsome man---And That Young man will laugh at the Old Fool---Ha, Ha, Ha.
Nice to talk to you, Sir.
Surapon

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 01:00:16 PM »

I'm getting off-topic from my own thread, and I'd really like further input on how to get level shots in-camera...

...but now that I see that your shot I can admit it: I look like this wading through the pond, but without the camo gear on and was hovering my expensive dslr macro gear 1cm above water level crawling up on unsuspecting frogs. I thought if I admitted my shooting style straight out I'd get banned for proven insanity. The good thing: easy to get the levels straight at water level :-) ... quak..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 01:00:16 PM »

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 01:34:52 PM »
The bunny and the leg:
you are right: you know it, and so it annoys you.
I wouldnt have noticed that.
BUT: if you try to tilt this in PP the bunny would look funny.....
I would leave it like it is.
Its a uncommon angle, so it is acceptable as "point of view".
Cute bunny, and a nice shot of it!!

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 02:04:54 PM »

I'm getting off-topic from my own thread, and I'd really like further input on how to get level shots in-camera...

...but now that I see that your shot I can admit it: I look like this wading through the pond, but without the camo gear on and was hovering my expensive dslr macro gear 1cm above water level crawling up on unsuspecting frogs. I thought if I admitted my shooting style straight out I'd get banned for proven insanity. The good thing: easy to get the levels straight at water level :-) ... quak..

Yes, Sir,Dear Mr. Marsu42, That Why I call you the PRO, Because of  Your Beautiful/ Artistic Creator like this Photo.----Yes, In the PRO Magazine, They have definition of the PRO = some one earn 80% of their income/ Money from Protography---BUT, In my IDEA---Just my IDEA, so many They call them self THE PRO as their work in Advertizing/ Photography for their living----Their   skill in Artistic Photography, most of them are far below the Skill of CR Members , who I see their photos on so many posts  in CR.
Thanks you, Sir for the wonderful Point of View, which I can learn from you, to improve my skill in the near future.
Surapon
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 02:07:24 PM by surapon »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 02:50:13 PM »
BUT: if you try to tilt this in PP the bunny would look funny..... I would leave it like it is.

Good, because it isn't as it is, it already is slightly rotated :-> ... but I seem to have found the good compromise.

These things somehow seem to happen often with my shots, probably I'm shooting a lot of animals in natural environments and nothing is 90 degrees angle nor will they wait for you to take the perfect point of view shot....

... meaning that judging from the replies so far the way to go really seems to leave more space and then rotate in post.

Yes, Sir,Dear Mr. Marsu42, That Why I call you the PRO, Because of  Your Beautiful/ Artistic Creator like this

Oh my, you're certainly good at flattery, thank you very much :-) ... all gearheads please note that this was taken with a cheap 100mm non-L macro on a beggar-class 60d, you can get nice shots from this lens.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »
Yes, I definitely am challenged.  I find the leveling feature in LR5 gets considerable use.

Hannes

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 07:12:03 PM »
A bit late to the party but my name is Hannes and I have a horizon problem. The issue seems far worse when I'm using my 1D III compared to my 40D or 400D (who needs more than 10mpix, right?)

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 07:35:27 PM »
I take a lot of pictures from canoes and kayaks.... I do a lot of horizon straightening....
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 07:35:27 PM »

lion rock

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 08:31:15 PM »
I think there are times when a photo need not be "straight", as in the rabbit shots.  There is no real reference to a perceived horizontal or vertical reference.
My first photo is another example where the subjects look vertical.
My second photo shows the main person seems to sit vertical, but the background is slanted.  Straightening the background makes the main guy sit totally uncomfortable.  Then, what about the lady to the left.  She's bending forward, and if the photo is straightened, she appears funny.
Yes, when there is a definite horizontal or vertical reference, a photo has to be straight ( unless an intention of making a point ).

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 08:38:50 PM »
That wall is entirely straight, for Vietnam  :)
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 08:38:50 PM »