September 02, 2014, 05:10:36 AM

Author Topic: Yongnuo YN-E3-RT Officially Released  (Read 6194 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: Yongnuo YN-E3-RT Officially Released
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 11:46:09 PM »
I now have to take it off camera to make any adjustments to remote or menu settings, once the thing drops a flash you have to go very close to reconnect

Argh, and I finally ordered it last week after so many positive reviews, esp. since I need the af assist over the Canon :-( ... did it work at first and then break, or didn't you realize the problems after purchase?

What's exactly the problem when changing settings on camera? Last not least, did you contact Yn with the flash connection loss problem to get a fixed fw?

No it has behaved pretty consistently since I had it, it is just longer days in a pro environment that it really starts to fail. Normally after over two hours of constant use. My initial testing didn't show this up, after all, who takes test pictures for hours........

As for changing the settings on camera, in my first comments I noted that the buttons and wheel were easier to move than the Canon ones, I assumed when the screen changed it was because my thumb or finger had touched a wrong button and exited me from the menu, turns out that isn't what is happening, it seems something in the connection with the camera is exiting me from the menu, sometimes one second after entering it, but as time goes on much less than one second elapses before the screen stops responding; yet if you take the YN-E3-RT off the hot shoe you have complete use of all buttons for as long as you want and you are never locked out of the menu. It is 100% to do with being on camera.

I did not contact Yongnuo this time, I did previously about the Remote Release bug whereby the remote flashes are not fired with pre 2012 cameras yet they are with post 2012 cameras, and with the ST-E3-RT with both. They said this was designed in and they categorically refuted that the YN works differently on post and pre 2012 cameras in Remote Shooting mode, but it does.

The flash connection is relatively new, but it has happened on three shoots now, I shoot some real estate and have 600-EX-RT's inside the property and control them from outside, with the ST-E3-RT this is effortless and 100% reliable, however with the YN-E3-RT it is not so and when they do stop talking I have to take the YN off the camera and walk it back into the property, often the same room, to get it to reconnect.

I believe many will never have an issue with the YN, I probably work them harder and longer than most would and the reliability seems to drop off as shoot time goes up. For pre 2012 cameras and non critical/short term use they are still a way better buy than the ST-E3-RT, for longer shoots or with post 2012 cameras just get the Canon.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 11:46:09 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 01:25:18 AM »
The flash connection is relatively new, but it has happened on three shoots now, I shoot some real estate and have 600-EX-RT's inside the property and control them from outside, with the ST-E3-RT this is effortless and 100% reliable, however with the YN-E3-RT it is not so and when they do stop talking I have to take the YN off the camera and walk it back into the property, often the same room, to get it to reconnect.

The good thing Yn actually does respond to requests, and this sounds something they cannot ignore. How long do you have to stop shooting for the controller to work again, is it a thermal issue? Do these problems only happen on your legacy pre-2012 1d3, or also on new bodies that are supposed to support rt flashes?

I believe many will never have an issue with the YN, I probably work them harder and longer than most would and the reliability seems to drop off as shoot time goes up. For pre 2012 cameras and non critical/short term use they are still a way better buy than the ST-E3-RT, for longer shoots or with post 2012 cameras just get the Canon.

... unless you need the af assist, doh. I do hope Yn gets this fixed with a fw update (bless them for the option!), I guess they are interested in getting this right since it looks like this is to jumpstart their whole rt flash line.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 11:11:08 PM »

The good thing Yn actually does respond to requests, and this sounds something they cannot ignore. How long do you have to stop shooting for the controller to work again, is it a thermal issue? Do these problems only happen on your legacy pre-2012 1d3, or also on new bodies that are supposed to support rt flashes?

... unless you need the af assist, doh. I do hope Yn gets this fixed with a fw update (bless them for the option!), I guess they are interested in getting this right since it looks like this is to jumpstart their whole rt flash line.

I have had no luck getting decent responses from Yongnuo. I was told I was wrong on the occasion I did engage with them. They are working so hard and fast they don't even know how their own product works..........

I only use it on pre 2012 bodies, there is zero point to it on post 2012 bodies apart from AF assist and I use manual focus for the real estate. Once they quit I move on, I am not a Yongnuo sponsored tester, I just revert to the three groups I get native with the ST-E3-RT, next time I try them, hours or days later, they are fine, same batteries, same flashes etc.

If I needed the AF assist and it was a critical work environment, wedding receptions etc, I'd suck it up and get a 600 for on camera, besides, it is rare that an on camera fill or bounce is useless in those situations.

At this point, though I was very bullish about the YN RT system from the start, I am going to skip it, I was thinking of getting some YN-600-EX's when they came out but I just don't have the confidence in them now, just like Sigma, they might be fantastic lenses that wipe the floor with the Canon 35 and 50 L's, but if they stop working then I am even more screwed, and it wouldn't be the first time Sigma dropped everybody in the sh!t.

For me personally, and I well understand others will see it differently, reliability is worth way more to me than a $100, or a few lppmm.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 07:55:20 AM »
For me personally, and I well understand others will see it differently, reliability is worth way more to me than a $100

+1
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 12:17:30 PM »
If I needed the AF assist and it was a critical work environment, wedding receptions etc, I'd suck it up and get a 600 for on camera, besides, it is rare that an on camera fill or bounce is useless in those situations.

Jee-jay! After only two months of waiting for this thing from China, I finally have the item of my dreams in my hand. Lesson learnt #1: Don't buy from shady e-Bay sellers to save €5. Speaking of cheap, here's my impression.

Let's start with the positive facts:
+ Yn is cheap
+ Yn rembers the HSS setting even after switching through modes, Canon forgets it once you cycle though ext-a and you have to set it again.
+ Yn works with my pre-2012 60d and supports linked shot, though it needs a shutter release cable.

This leaves a mixed feeling:
+- Yn supports 2nd curtain remote. But, alas, not only does it work in M mode as written in the specs but it doesn't work in M group mode but only in the good ol' a:b:c ratio system.
+- Yn doesn't support 1/2 ev stops and interprets -1/2 ev fec as 1/1 (not -1/3 as it would make sense). For the 6d, this happens to be a blessing in disguise as you can use max. x-sync of 1/180s and still set 1/3 stops on flash.

Next up are the downers:
- Yn's wheel is really way too easy to move, when in a hurry you're not able to set it precisely.
- Yn has no personal functions if that matters to you.
- Yn's power saving setting is only off or the very short 5min, not 10/60 min like Canon

Last not least, here's the complete bummer:
- Yn has af assist, the very reason I bought it. Unfortunately this is completely useless as it uses a fixed pattern that projects the red stripes in almost all cases next to the center af point.

EDIT: This is not just my unit, it's a systematic failure on the Yn! The pattern is too wide so you need to move either the trigger in the hotshoe or walk back and forth which makes it "nice to have" for pitch black indoor shooting of static scenes, but utterly useless for anything that moves. Doh, it I wouldn't need this to make my 60D work with the rt flashes I'd return it :-\

http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn12af-af-assistant/comment-page-1/#comment-16032
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:31:47 PM by Marsu42 »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 12:54:49 PM »
Didn't you get the cables included for the remote and linked shooting?

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 01:04:49 PM »
Didn't you get the cables included for the remote and linked shooting?

Yes, sure, the cables are there, with "though it needs a shutter release cable" I meant to say it's not as easy as on my 6d as the 60d needs the cable attached.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 01:04:49 PM »

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 07:33:53 PM »
I have three of the yong 622c's.  The red stripes aren't bad... but it is annoying having to match up the AF point with the line... which doesn't always work perfectly.  But I'm fond of their performance... and in my "studio"/living room, it is kinda dark... and the AF assist is quite welcome. 

As for moving targets... I really wasn't expecting to use it for that purpose... and I don't even think it would cast efficiently past 10 yards. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

jason1

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 12:38:04 PM »
Like privatebydesign, I have also experienced very poor range, especially outdoors. Does not live up to 100m range as advertised.

I can't seem to get away more than 5-10m before connection drops out and I need to walk closer to the flash to regain connection. Very frustrating & going to give up on this soon. Currently running v1.10 & 5d3.

Thinking to try the Phottix Mitros+ & Odin combo....

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 01:18:12 PM »
I can't seem to get away more than 5-10m before connection drops out and I need to walk closer to the flash to regain connection. Very frustrating & going to give up on this soon. Currently running v1.10 & 5d3.

Same here with 1.10 and 6d... "100m" is a joke, it's very important to do a channel scan and select the best one, that improves the range and reliability a bit, though nowhere near 600rt to 600rt standard.

Most disappointing is that my Yn unit does one of these things, I wouldn't keep it if I wouldn't need it for my pre-2012 60rt:
* bad: flash tends to loose connection if camera and flash are both near ground level
* worse: flash connection drops on the Yn even though the flash shows the green "connect" light
* worst: flash is shown as connected on the Yn, but simply refuses to fire

jason1

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 02:19:58 PM »
Most disappointing is that my Yn unit does one of these things, I wouldn't keep it if I wouldn't need it for my pre-2012 60rt:
* bad: flash tends to loose connection if camera and flash are both near ground level
* worse: flash connection drops on the Yn even though the flash shows the green "connect" light
* worst: flash is shown as connected on the Yn, but simply refuses to fire

haha...I have experienced all of this too. Sigh..........

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 02:27:56 PM »
haha...I have experienced all of this too. Sigh..........

On the one hand, I'm happy the 6d is not alone with these problems :-p but on the other hand, I'm stunned how unreliable this unit is, that Yn dares to sell it and that neither pro reviews or hands-on amateur reviews have picked this up. It doesn't take more than one hour to see that the af assist is a bad joke and no more than 1 day to experience the reliability problem unless you're shooting in a studio with the flashes having 1m distance and line of sight :-(

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 05:45:04 PM »
I tried to post where I could about my comparatively early issues, indeed I was the first person I saw write anything negative about the YN.

I think there is too much pent up expectation out there for certain products, so much so that when they arrive people have too much hope that they will do what they want. They are half priced for a reason.

I have tried to be honest and informative with my comments on it, and got put down a bit for it, but have said I am keeping mine even though I also have an ST-E3-RT to use, this does mean the YN is never mission critical.

The Chinese are not up to reverse engineering this stuff yet though the they have become brilliant at things like the Phottix Odin/Mitros+, (and some of the Godox big flashes) and that is the only small flash system I would consider other than the Canon RT.

The YN might have SCS, but what use is it if it is unreliable!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 05:45:04 PM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2014, 06:25:42 PM »
I think there is too much pent up expectation out there for certain products, so much so that when they arrive people have too much hope that they will do what they want.

I guess it was most like sheer disbelief that Yn would sell a €100+ item that barely works as the introduction item of their upcoming whole rt flash/controller line...

They are half priced for a reason.

It's frustrating as imho the Canon unit at least at starting price was way too expensive. Yes, they've got r&d to cover, but €300 for €10 of electronics? And now we've got a cheap cn unit - I would wish there would be some 3rd party manufacturer going the middle way like Sigma and Tamron with their latest lenses: no Canon price premium, but no crap either.

I have tried to be honest and informative with my comments on it, and got put down a bit for it

This wasn't directed at you if it sounded that way, I read lots of "hands on" and of course forum posters get no revenue so in-depth testing is not to be expected.

but have said I am keeping mine even though I also have an ST-E3-RT to use, this does mean the YN is never mission critical.

This is probably what I'll end up doing, too - Yn for convenience, 600rt as master for important situations.

The Chinese are not up to reverse engineering this stuff yet though the they have become brilliant at things like the Phottix Odin/Mitros+, (and some of the Godox big flashes) and that is the only small flash system I would consider other than the Canon RT.

Well, let's hope they'll at least fix some issues with upcoming fw updates - they even added some nice Pn functions with 1.10, so it seems they're still working on it. Maybe they get the reliability up a bit with trying harder to find remote flashes as most connection losses are fixed by turning the Yn off and on again, they should be able to do that rediscovery in software.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 06:29:33 PM »
It's frustrating as imho the Canon unit at least at starting price was way too expensive. Yes, they've got r&d to cover, but €300 for €10 of electronics?

That R&D yielded what has been, for me, a completely reliable RT flash system.  As they say...priceless.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 06:29:33 PM »