August 28, 2014, 07:16:37 AM

Author Topic: Yongnuo YN-E3-RT Officially Released  (Read 6142 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: Yongnuo YN-E3-RT Officially Released
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2014, 06:42:03 PM »
Well, let's hope they'll at least fix some issues with upcoming fw updates - they even added some nice Pn functions with 1.10, so it seems they're still working on it. Maybe they get the reliability up a bit with trying harder to find remote flashes as most connection losses are fixed by turning the Yn off and on again, they should be able to do that rediscovery in software.

If they have any sense then they will be using this as Beta testing for the Yn-600-EX, which I wouldn't buy, but if they take the time to get right could turn it around for them, if they aren't then I fear Yongnuo will go down as the unreliable make of the Chinese flashes, which os a shame because their simple RF-602's changed flash for many of us, and the lower priced models are very good value for money. But they do lack cohesion, too many projects and ideas and not enough development and testing.

It's frustrating as imho the Canon unit at least at starting price was way too expensive. Yes, they've got r&d to cover, but €300 for €10 of electronics?

That R&D yielded what has been, for me, a completely reliable RT flash system.  As they say...priceless.

100% agree, I got the ST-E3-RT before the YN and was shocked by the Canon's reliability, I honestly don't think I have had a misfire from it yet other than because of battery use. I only got the YN to play with for the Gp mode on my pre 2012 bodies, and it is fine when it works, but the ST is 100% reliable, and that is priceless.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2014, 06:51:55 PM »
As they say...priceless.

I absolutely agree for a pro environment or for wealthy amateurs, but for the rest of us the introductory price of the Canon unit was simply too close to a real 600ex-rt flash, esp. as the controller is just for comfort and was never was offered with cashback at least in Germany. As pdb already wrote, if you're ok with carrying the weight some fill flash somewhere seldom hurts & the flash has af assist so the Canon controller is most useful for outdoor shooting.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 11:09:52 AM »
Reply from Yongnuo, it just took them 24hrs so that's at least something :-p ... of course they refuse to acknowledge it could be a problem with the whole trigger line.

Thanks for your email!
We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience when you are using YN-E3-RT. We suggest you to try with another set of battery fully charged and switch the channels to test again. If the problem still exists, it's probably that the trigger is defective, we suggest you to send it back for maintenance.

About the AF Assist Beam:
There is a height difference between the AF Assist Beam of YN-E3-RT and the camera lens. The angle between the light ray and the central axis of the lens is set when you are setting the AF Assist Beam. In a certain distance (4-5 meters), the central point of the AF Assist Beamand the central axis of the camera lens will intersect. At this time, you can see that the central focus point of the camera is positioned at the central of the AF Assist Beam. At short range, the central point of the AF Assist Beam is over the central point of the camera lens; at long range, the central point of the AF Assist Beam is under the central point of the camera lens.
If the AF Assist Beam is a little to the right/left, please try to fix it by pull the trigger towards left/right slightly.

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 01:21:40 AM »
For me personally, and I well understand others will see it differently, reliability is worth way more to me than a $100

+1

Tested my Canon 600EX-RT flashes with Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter, I have no issue trigger the flashes at 150 feet. 15/15 shots, got them all.

My garage is not that big, but I'm going to test them at 200 feet this coming weekend - stay tune... ::)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 08:18:50 PM »
We know, why do you think we have been recommending them so highly!

The only negatives I have seen said about the 600 EX's is the inability to use optical and radio at the same time, a "limitation" I am glad to take for the added functionality, and the price, but they compare well to the 580EX II and are cheap when compared to the Nikon SB910.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 09:58:59 PM »
The odins are also 100% reliable for me but then again they are also expensive
I guess you just get what you pay for
Only issue I've had has been 580ex II flashes doing full power dumps on occasion but this is a quirk of that flash
And nothing to do with the trigger
APS-H Fanboy

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2014, 10:51:15 PM »
It really does seem the two frontrunners in full ETTL radio flash are the Canon RT system and the Odins, but like you say the Odins/Mitros+ are not a "cheap" option.

The Odin route definitely has some advantages over the RT system, the RT system has some advantages over the Odin's too, I don't think a serious buying decision should be taken on the price difference, the feature set is far more important.

Though I have to say the thought of a couple of Profoto B1 Airs is making me save my pennies, it is a completely different league, but what quality power.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:08:47 AM by privatebydesign »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 05:28:36 AM »
Fyi (and ot :-)): If you do manual channel selection for the YN-E3-RT it's ultra-important to always do a channel scan, this improves the reliability considerably even though nowhere near the Canon flashes as masters.

With the Yn, some channel strengths often drop for no apparent reason at all even if you're standing in the middle of nowhere. The Canon 600ex flash is much more sturdy when it comes to transmission strength while the Yn sometimes fails to connect to a flash some meters away when choosing a weak channel.

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2014, 10:13:50 AM »
For me personally, and I well understand others will see it differently, reliability is worth way more to me than a $100

+1

Tested my Canon 600EX-RT flashes with Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter, I have no issue trigger the flashes at 150 feet. 15/15 shots, got them all.

My garage is not that big, but I'm going to test them at 200 feet this coming weekend - stay tune... ::)

Still work at 200ft.... :o :o :o

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2014, 11:41:36 AM »

+1

Have you tested the distance using the 600rt as the trigger?
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2014, 03:58:17 PM »

+1

Have you tested the distance using the 600rt as the trigger?

No. I was using Canon ST-E3-RT to trigger 600rt(x3).

The reason I did this test because my buddies(wedding pros) told me about it. I thought they were kidding around. Even Canon specs said 98ft.

My buddies and I were thinking writting a suggestion to Canon for next 600rt replacement - be able to adjust head up/down and turn 360deg from ST-E3-RT :P :P :P
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:19:34 PM by Dylan777 »

InterMurph

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2014, 02:18:40 PM »
I now have to take it off camera to make any adjustments to remote or menu settings, once the thing drops a flash you have to go very close to reconnect.
I had this problem with my X100S.  It goes away if you put the YN-E3-RT into Legacy Mode; this might help with pre-2012 cameras.

To put it in Legacy Mode, press and hold the C/P.Fn button.  The first menu option should be Legacy Trigger; if you are instead looking at an icon of a dozing flash, you missed the and hold part.

Once you turn it on, it will display LEGACY on the top line of the LCD display.  You should now be able to make changes while the transmitter is on the hot shoe.  Just remember to test fire it after any changes, to update the power levels on the remote flashes before you take the next photo.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2014, 02:31:56 PM »
I now have to take it off camera to make any adjustments to remote or menu settings, once the thing drops a flash you have to go very close to reconnect.
I had this problem with my X100S.  It goes away if you put the YN-E3-RT into Legacy Mode; this might help with pre-2012 cameras.

To put it in Legacy Mode, press and hold the C/P.Fn button.  The first menu option should be Legacy Trigger; if you are instead looking at an icon of a dozing flash, you missed the and hold part.

Once you turn it on, it will display LEGACY on the top line of the LCD display.  You should now be able to make changes while the transmitter is on the hot shoe.  Just remember to test fire it after any changes, to update the power levels on the remote flashes before you take the next photo.

I am only on FW 1.08 so don't have that option. Another bad thing about the YN, I am Apple only but need a PC to do FW updates.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2014, 06:02:28 PM »
Another bad thing about the YN, I am Apple only but need a PC to do FW updates.

Canon does support firmware updates for their st-e3 on Mac?

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2014, 10:37:09 PM »
Another bad thing about the YN, I am Apple only but need a PC to do FW updates.

Canon does support firmware updates for their st-e3 on Mac?

No, but they don't need to because the ST-E3-RT works as advertised on every camera every single time.

Though I had heard Canon have the capability to upgrade the flash firmware via the camera hot shoe, you load it onto a CF card and it can then be written to the flash via the camera. Not sure where I saw that snippet but I thought it was interesting.