November 26, 2014, 12:39:45 PM

Author Topic: Got a new CF card today for my 7D  (Read 1580 times)

Richard8971

• Canon 6D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
Got a new CF card today for my 7D
« on: December 11, 2013, 09:46:45 PM »
I had purchased a Lexar 32GB Professional 1000X CF card a few months back and had to return it because it had gone bad. The second replacement card had also gone bad. (Both had gone bad rather quickly, within a month) I had the second one replaced and sold it. Since I still needed a card to shoot with I purchased 4 Sandisk Extreme 16GB cards for my 7D. (This is not a rant against Lexar, I simply have no idea why those 2 cards went bad. Before those and after those I have had NO issues with any other cards I own)

The Extreme cards are fantastic, but I loved how fast the Lexar card cleared the buffer on my camera. Now that Sandisk has enhanced their Extreme Pro level of cards (without raising the price), I wanted to see how the new cards worked with my 7D.

My 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro CF card showed up today in the mail. Got a great deal on it from Adorama.

I stuck a 16 Extreme card in and shot until the buffer was full (RAW), approx. 8-9 seconds to clear.

I then put the 32GB Extreme Pro card in and did the same thing, about 4-5 seconds to clear.

Not a HUGE increase, BUT almost twice as fast and IF you are wating on your buffer to clear before you can take another shot, each second waiting can feel like an eternity. LOL

Seems like for a few more bucks (about $90 bucks for a 32GB Extreme card vs $130 for an Extreme Pro) you can have a speed boost for your 7D.

I only brought this up because, before the V2 firmware update, the 7 did not seem to be able to take advantage of the UDMA 7 standard and now, after the V2 update, it can write at the faster speeds.

Just FYI. :)

D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:56:44 PM by Richard8971 »
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

canon rumors FORUM

Got a new CF card today for my 7D
« on: December 11, 2013, 09:46:45 PM »

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Got a new CF card today for my 7D
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 01:09:11 PM »
I have 2 32G Lexar x600 and 2 x 32g Lexar x800, I have had not issues with them over the last few years....

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 06:59:59 PM »
I had purchased a Lexar 32GB Professional 1000X CF card a few months back and had to return it because it had gone bad. The second replacement card had also gone bad. (Both had gone bad rather quickly, within a month) I had the second one replaced and sold it. Since I still needed a card to shoot with I purchased 4 Sandisk Extreme 16GB cards for my 7D. (This is not a rant against Lexar, I simply have no idea why those 2 cards went bad. Before those and after those I have had NO issues with any other cards I own)

The Extreme cards are fantastic, but I loved how fast the Lexar card cleared the buffer on my camera. Now that Sandisk has enhanced their Extreme Pro level of cards (without raising the price), I wanted to see how the new cards worked with my 7D.

My 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro CF card showed up today in the mail. Got a great deal on it from Adorama.

I stuck a 16 Extreme card in and shot until the buffer was full (RAW), approx. 8-9 seconds to clear.

I then put the 32GB Extreme Pro card in and did the same thing, about 4-5 seconds to clear.

Not a HUGE increase, BUT almost twice as fast and IF you are wating on your buffer to clear before you can take another shot, each second waiting can feel like an eternity. LOL

Seems like for a few more bucks (about $90 bucks for a 32GB Extreme card vs $130 for an Extreme Pro) you can have a speed boost for your 7D.

I only brought this up because, before the V2 firmware update, the 7 did not seem to be able to take advantage of the UDMA 7 standard and now, after the V2 update, it can write at the faster speeds.

D

Having two card go back sounds like a lot of bad luck. Glad you are happy with the new Sandisk card. Personally, i've never had any issues with my Sandisk cards (touch wood!)
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 09:24:23 PM »
The speed bump with the Extreme Pro 90 Mb/s cards happened before the v2 firmware (v1.2.5).  Here are some benchmarks with the 7D and 5DII.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,2047.msg42417.html#msg42417
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 07:28:27 AM »

D

Having two card go back sounds like a lot of bad luck. Glad you are happy with the new Sandisk card. Personally, i've never had any issues with my Sandisk cards (touch wood!)
+1 for Sandisk cards. I never had a problem with them (5 up to now 2 X 8GB and 3 X 32GB). So it is always Sandisk for me. I don't know / don't care about other vendors.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 07:28:27 AM »