December 22, 2014, 09:31:57 PM

Author Topic: My Dell vs iMac  (Read 12978 times)

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: My Dell vs iMac
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2013, 05:54:02 PM »
The "requirement" or "need" for color calibrated monitor and image delivery depends on the kind of client you have now or plan to have in the future. To "want" good control over color might be a personal path you choose. In the large urban market I used to work in there were many who would care but where I am now people would look at me funny if I made a fuss over the color except that it be exciting and bright. Monitors around the world are all over the place as display devices. However, pre-press still revolves around certainty and the people serving that flow have to guarantee pages' color so there's extra money to those who can be part of a consistent managed flow. Good product photography would drive color management certainty, depends on a lot of factors.

I do lots of things to make pictures better that are for me and the other photographers watching. Clients won't pay for extra steps very often. I do have a color Munki and a wide-gamut Asus PA246 monitor. A lot of my sales efforts go toward finding those that are picky! They are more likely to understand why I work so hard at it.

For print output there is such a good argument for a complete managed loop as there is too much time and wastage without it. "Botts'" post sure is a reminder of how limited all but the best printers are. I have one of those Canon9000's and wish it could step out further! Despite a lot of time doing this I still have lots to learn about color management.

Welcome to professional work! I applaud your effort to get this right. I suggest (advice worth what you are paying for it...) that you pick a solution in the next 24 hours and get on to selling like a banshee, whatever else it takes for you to [we call over here]hang out the shingle. Jump into work for clients even if that means using the rig you have. Switch if you must "in the background" so the new gear and workflow are 100% ready when you use them for client work for the first time. (I have been known to screw this up myself.)

Best of luck and have fun!

jonathan7007

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2013, 05:54:02 PM »

Zlyden

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2013, 07:23:44 PM »
Well how are you meant to buy any tech then, most of the time you can't always see what you want. So in my case I have to go by specs and reviews. My top two are Dell and Apple.

It's OK to make purchases based on specs and reviews (assuming that these reviews are made by those who have some actual experience with the equipment). Of course, visiting some dealer with such equipment who has a show room is a better idea.

But it could be wrong to make recommendations to other people that are based solely on specs. Like: "I looked at specs of these three models, and I think that you should spent your money on this one."

I am pretty sure that a wide gamut monitor will be better quality visually than a standard monitor, especially evident when you read the reviews on say TFT Central.

It depends. You may end up with images that look very bright and shiny on your screen, but no one else sees them like that on their sRGB-standard monitors (and no such colors could be printed an any existing equipment).

At this stage I am not into colour critical work, but of course calibrating a monitor for any photographer is essential. I have chosen the i1 because of its pro features, which I'll learn over time, it's popular and well rated, also if I was to go down the Dell route, some of their monitors only calibrate with the i1, like both 27 and 24 inch monitors.

Well, it's really a good idea to calibrate (or profile) wide gamut monitors. Or if you have problems with your monitor, you should definitely try to calibrate it.

I probably will not agree with: 'of course calibrating a monitor for any photographer is essential', especially if you mainly send your RGB images for magazine publications (people who do prepress work at publishing houses will separate these according to their standards and inks SWOP/ISO/Newspaper, doing all necessary gray tones, skin tones, blue sky, etc. color correction).

i1Display Pro should be reliable and easy to use tool. It's not too expensive, and you will probably find some usage for it anyway. (I'm more used to deal with X-rites 'normal' i1s -- to measure/check prints and build occasional printer ICC profiles, not to calibrate displays.)
G7 | EOS M | 400D | 6D
EF: 50/1.8 II | 17-40 | 24-105 | 70-300DO / EF-S: 10-22 | 18-55 | 18-55 IS | Sigma 30/1.4 (old one) / EF-M: 11-22 | 18-55 | 22
I also own few Canon flashes, remotes, blends, bags, cases (including waterproof one) and even batteries! :)

Botts

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2013, 01:12:35 AM »
I'll have a look, but I don't think my Dell has USB 3.0, I'll be surprised if it is.
Thanks I'll read that later.
What is the gamut for the 27" iMac?

All the Apple Displays are 100% sRGB, and ~75% of aRGB, so standard gamut.
6D, Sigma 35/1.4, 40STM, 50/1.4, 70-200/4 IS, 430ex II
T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2013, 01:36:52 AM »
I'll have a look, but I don't think my Dell has USB 3.0, I'll be surprised if it is.
Thanks I'll read that later.
What is the gamut for the 27" iMac?

You can add USB 3.0 easily with a Pci-e expansion card:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-E-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387176298&sr=8-1&keywords=dell+pci-e+usb+3.0

If you are going to spend a lot on display why not get the new Dell 4k Premier Color 24"/28" monitor?
http://dcse.dell.com/us/en/gen/peripherals/dell-up2414q/pd.aspx?refid=dell-up2414q&s=gen

iMac 27": 2560x1440 = 3.69 million pixels
Dell 4k 24"/28": 3840x2160 = 8.29 million pixels
DSLR Camera file: ~5300x3500 = 18.6 million pixels

The Dell will far better reveal the detail of your high resolution DSLR files, while the iMac is exponentially less detailed.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 02:09:13 AM by Ruined »

JPlendPhoto

• Rebel T5i
  • Freelance Photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2013, 07:21:32 AM »
I think I have decided to save up my money and decide what to do at a later date. I am still very keen on an iMac (especially after being into the Apple Store today) and by the time I decide what to do there could be a new iMac, one with a retina display, hopefully. As mentioned Dell’s new monitors look very interesting, I’ll be interested to see how they do.

My current Dell is not bad, so sticking with it for now seems like the best option for me. Thank you VERY much to everyone who has helped me/answered my questions, I appreciate your help! There is a lot here for me to think through! I’m sure I’ll come back and read through this topic in the future :)
Canon EOS 5D MKII + 450D | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | EF 17-40 f/4L | 70-200 f/4L | 50mm 1.8 | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Zlyden

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2013, 08:17:17 AM »
Very reasonable choice!

(And do not forget that meanwhile you can get Macbook Pro for 'field work' that will also allow you to explore Apple's options... ;) )
G7 | EOS M | 400D | 6D
EF: 50/1.8 II | 17-40 | 24-105 | 70-300DO / EF-S: 10-22 | 18-55 | 18-55 IS | Sigma 30/1.4 (old one) / EF-M: 11-22 | 18-55 | 22
I also own few Canon flashes, remotes, blends, bags, cases (including waterproof one) and even batteries! :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2013, 08:17:17 AM »