August 01, 2014, 12:33:35 PM

Author Topic: EOS 5D Mark III & Third Party Batteries  (Read 13755 times)

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Re: EOS 5D Mark III & Third Party Batteries
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 12:59:15 PM »
How are you taking a chance if you buy a battery from a good company you should be fine.  Now the cheap 5$ china version I would not touch.

This however would be solved is canon charges a normal fee and,not 5 times what the battery is worth.

Along the same lines. I have a Energizer battery in my 7D grip (along with a Canon). Works perfectly in tandem with the Canon as far as I can tell. I've got to think that Energizer has too much to lose to manufacture the battery without some agreement with Canon. Of course, it's only $10 cheaper than the Canon, which may mean Canon's are not as overpriced as we think.

Also wondering if Canon even makes their own batteries. I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised if Energizer makes them for Canon and it's the same battery. Does Canon really have its own manufacturing facility for all the various permutations of batteries their cameras use? That seems like a waste of company resources and Canon doesn't seem like the type of company to waste resources.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 12:59:15 PM »

jeffa4444

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2013, 01:14:32 PM »
If Im going to purchase a $2000-$3000 camera Im certainly not going to compromise it with a third party battery that Im not sure how it was made and to what standard. Ive seen what batteries can do if they have a thermal runaway (as poorly made Lithium Ion batteries can do) and its not pleasant.
I recently bought a Canon battery for my 6d (which I could have bought cheaper on-line) for £ 40.00 ($65) in my local camera store, on Amazon I could get third party as low as £ 10.00 ($16) but for such a vast difference you know corners have been cut.
Canon 6d, 7d & 550d with EF-S and EF-L glass

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »
If the movie/music companies, (aka: the most greedy/sleazy entities on the planet) had simply made their movies/music more affordable from the beginning, no one would have wanted to go to all the trouble to copy or download inferior music files to get around the high cost. 

As much as I’d like to bash the record companies, I’m going to have to disagree.  People steal music because it’s free and easy.  People steal crap music that they’ll hardly listen to, because they can.  People steal music that they’ll hardly listen to, because like all their specialty lenses camera components that they hardly use, people get into collecting useless crap because they want to have a big collection they can tell people about.  People can definitely afford to buy the songs that they really enjoy listening to, but they don’t, because people don’t see it as stealing from these big bad record companies.

Cost doesn’t have much to do with it.  I see kids at Starbucks getting $5 coffees, on iPhones with unlimited data plans, driving fancy cars that they can afford to fill at $4 a gallon.  They can afford a $15 album or $1 song if they wanted, but why pay when you can just steal it for free.  Sorry to digress, but lets compare apples to apples.

we,can agree,to disagree on this but the cost has not gone,down in,sorry but paying 15-20 for a cd digital edition is absurd I'm sorry but that industry it way to over priced a cd should be in the 5-10$ range mot double triple that

RustyTheGeek

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2013, 01:19:56 PM »
If the movie/music companies, (aka: the most greedy/sleazy entities on the planet) had simply made their movies/music more affordable from the beginning, no one would have wanted to go to all the trouble to copy or download inferior music files to get around the high cost. 

As much as I’d like to bash the record companies, I’m going to have to disagree.  People steal music because it’s free and easy.  People steal crap music that they’ll hardly listen to, because they can.  People steal music that they’ll hardly listen to, because like all their specialty lenses camera components that they hardly use, people get into collecting useless crap because they want to have a big collection they can tell people about.  People can definitely afford to buy the songs that they really enjoy listening to, but they don’t, because people don’t see it as stealing from these big bad record companies.

Cost doesn’t have much to do with it.  I see kids at Starbucks getting $5 coffees, on iPhones with unlimited data plans, driving fancy cars that they can afford to fill at $4 a gallon.  They can afford a $15 album or $1 song if they wanted, but why pay when you can just steal it for free.  Sorry to digress, but lets compare apples to apples.

Eh.  We'll have to agree to disagree.  I guess it could be seen that way if you grew up in the last 20 years since the Internet has been in place, credit has been easy and consumer affluency has been so high.  But I assure you that in the decades leading up to the 90's, people didn't collect as much stuff or have as much disposable money.  And the recording industries were as greedy or more so.  Most of the artists making the content were shafted, screwed and left in the cold along with the consumers being shafted on the other end with high prices and ultra cheap cassettes and 8 track tapes.

I will agree that many folks tend to collect/amass things that are free simply because they can, esp kids with lots of free time.  But I don't think that necc supports the reason why MP3 music was created or became popular in the first place.  The battles between artists/consumers and the recording industry is a long one.  In our family, we download pirated TV shows for one reason, convenience.  We want to watch something at another time or in a series all together and sometimes it doesn't get recorded on the DVR and isn't available online or on DVD yet.  We rent or purchase a lot of online content, music CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, etc but when things aren't provided by the legitimate providers, we will occasionally download something because it's not available any other way.  The content providers should understand this and use it to their advantage, not fight it.

I'm not sure what circles you run in but I don't see a large percentage of the population able to afford most of what you say they are buying at Starbucks, luxury car dealerships, etc.  But unfortunately it happens anyway because there are no controls on what anyone does with their entitlement money from the government.  Believe me, my wife works in a county hospital, she sees a lot of "poor" people with nicer manicures, phones and clothes than our family has and that's just sad.  Our landscaper's daughter drives a Hummer but she can only afford to drive it on the weekends.  The phenomenon of poor folks spending money in all the wrong places has been going on for a long time as well.  Probably as long as govt assistance has been around and then probably longer still.

It's truly a strange world and it's getting stranger every year.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Zlyden

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2013, 01:33:22 PM »
The Canon 6D has been doing this since it was launched.  The 6D charger doesn't charge any of my 3rd party batteries either.

Then this rumor is probably outdated and looks more like 'YoKool' advertising: 'Need cheap 3rd party batteries? Buy these form us directly! Satisfaction guaranteed!' :)

I got two 3rd party batteries after purchasing 6D few months ago, and all them work fine (with current firmware version).

I'm a bit afraid to buy butteries with 'Canon' brand on them, because in our parts these either cost around $150 (3rd parties are closer to $30), or could be fakes (mentioned in the rumor) that will die in a month or so (did bought these years ago for other Canon cameras)...
G7 | EOS M | 400D | 6D
EF: 50/1.8 II | 17-40 | 24-105 | 70-300DO / EF-S: 10-22 | 18-55 | 18-55 IS | Sigma 30/1.4 (old one) / EF-M: 11-22 | 18-55 | 22
I also own few Canon flashes, remotes, blends, bags, cases (including waterproof one) and even batteries! :)

RustyTheGeek

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2013, 01:36:38 PM »

we,can agree,to disagree on this but the cost has not gone,down in,sorry but paying 15-20 for a cd digital edition is absurd I'm sorry but that industry it way to over priced a cd should be in the 5-10$ range mot double triple that

Yep.  I see it all the time.  When something is priced higher than the market can bear, alternatives will become available.  It's only natural.  If anyone sells something desirable for a fair price that the market prefers, the alternatives will suffer.  If Canon offered their batteries for $30 - $35, I'd own 3 or 4 for each of my cameras instead of the 2 Canon batteries per camera I own and the rest 3rd party.  (I shoot outdoors a lot over several days.)  I would prefer to own all Canon batteries but not for the $65+ price they charge.  I didn't buy the cheapest alternative, I bought trusted alternative brands from both online and legitimate camera stores and they have all served me well.

I said over and over back in the 90's that if CDs were $5, no one would bother with MP3s, at least not the way they did at the time.  But at $13 - $20 each, people not only wanted to get around that high CD price, they wanted to retaliate against the greedy music/movie industry.  And as it turns out, digital technology and social media finally allowed the artists to circumvent the industry and market directly to the consumer.  If the decades that led up to the Internet had been positive between consumers, artists and the entertainment industry I think things would have been different, more positive and probably much higher quality without all the problems we are still enduring with copy protection mechanisms, digital rights management, etc.

RustyTheGeek

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2013, 01:40:14 PM »
Just for the record, we are big Amazon consumers in this house.  So for $20, I bought one of these 'JoeCool' batteries just for the hell of it.  I'll let you know how good or bad it is, if it charges, throws an error or simply catches on fire while in flight.   ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2013, 01:40:14 PM »

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2013, 02:01:52 PM »
or simply catches on fire while in flight.   ;)

Love it..,.,.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
I saw "I don't want to pay $100 for a battery" from someone, in a $1700 camera?  I don't get it . . . get your camera at the best price possible, then you can afford genuine accessories.

Are there any improvements that come with these batteries, or is it all a price game?

Do any of these, for example:
charge faster?
take more of a charge?
last longer (more charge cycles)?
operate in more extreme temperatures?
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2013, 02:16:34 PM »
From what I gather, the Hahnel Extreme Li-ion batteries out-perform the Canon ones.

http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=digitalcamerabatteries&vId=2&pId=853

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2013, 02:16:49 PM »
I saw "I don't want to pay $100 for a battery" from someone, in a $1700 camera?  I don't get it . . . get your camera at the best price possible, then you can afford genuine accessories.

Are there any improvements that come with these batteries, or is it all a price game?

charge faster?
take more of a charge?

its just,price of a the battery.

the thing is tiny and snot worth 100-120 bucks.

30-40 sure.  It has nothing to do with how much the camera costs.

that's like saying you car,coat 40k, then you should,be able to afford 10/gallon for gas.

there is no way canons,coat is anywhere near there pricing on the battery and there just price gouging's

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2013, 02:21:24 PM »
or simply catches on fire while in flight.   ;)

Love it..,.,.

Just for the record: during flight, pressure differences can cause lesser lithium-ion-batteries to spontaneously combust. This article seems to be pretty comprehensive on the dangers of bringing such a battery on board an airplane, I'm sure there's tons more of info. So not really a laughing matter ;)
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2013, 02:23:09 PM »
If Im going to purchase a $2000-$3000 camera Im certainly not going to compromise it with a third party battery that Im not sure how it was made and to what standard. Ive seen what batteries can do if they have a thermal runaway (as poorly made Lithium Ion batteries can do) and its not pleasant.
I recently bought a Canon battery for my 6d (which I could have bought cheaper on-line) for £ 40.00 ($65) in my local camera store, on Amazon I could get third party as low as £ 10.00 ($16) but for such a vast difference you know corners have been cut.

but any battery can blow up, I have seen many batteries blow up and catch fire which were all OEMs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2013, 02:23:09 PM »

RustyTheGeek

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2013, 02:23:34 PM »

charge faster?
take more of a charge?

This brings up an EXCELLENT POINT.  Everyone is focused on cheap alternative batteries.  The other side of the coin is a battery built to be superior to the Canon OEM.  This isn't as common but what if someone offered a better, lighter, stronger, faster and more colorful battery than Canon (with a big 'S' on the side)?  If it helped me and improved my use, I would want to buy it, even if it cost more than the OEM.  It would suck to have the best most ultimatest and badasstical battery around and not be able to see any charge status or have it talk to my camera correctly.  So yet again, thanks Canon for making things more complicated that don't need to be.

RustyTheGeek

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2013, 02:24:23 PM »

but any battery can blow up, I have seen many batteries blow up and catch fire which were all OEMs.
Yep.  Just ask poor Sony!  And BOEING!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2013, 02:24:23 PM »