October 24, 2014, 04:57:25 PM

Author Topic: EOS 5D Mark III & Third Party Batteries  (Read 15598 times)

JohnUSA

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 5D Mark III & Third Party Batteries
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2013, 07:45:53 PM »
Update on compatible Canon chargers with third party batteries.

I just purchased a used two year old Canon LC-E6 charger from a 6D kit. Model number is ZBAD... yes Z BAD! Works perfectly with all my third party batteries!

ZBAD - Came from a two year old 6D and will charge the old 2 year old Maximal and new Wasabi batteries with no problem.

My previously posted models...

ZFAD - Came with the 5D2 and will charge the old Maximal and new Wasabi batteries with no problem.
AJBC - Came with the 5D3 and will charge the new Wasabi batteries but not the old Maximal batteries.

Looks like if the model number starts off with "Z" there's a good chance the charger will work with third party batteries. But that's just based on only two samples. I'm finished buying chargers!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2013, 07:45:53 PM »

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2013, 02:46:15 AM »
a two year old 6D

That camera was released last year in November. That's thirteen months ago.

You must really like rounding up :)
Fed up with brandism.

JohnUSA

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2013, 07:00:39 PM »
Can't blame me as that's what the seller of the charger told me... he got the charger with his 6D two years ago. I'm not a fact checker! LOL All I know the charger works with my old batteries!

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2013, 10:03:48 PM »

For comparison purposes, my 6D charger is an AKBL, and has worked with all the third-party batteries I've tried so far, but then, they're all models that work with the 6D, so they're probably new enough to work with the updated 5Dmk3 firmware, too, so I guess that probably doesn't tell us much.

youngjediboy

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2014, 01:25:20 PM »
I also hate what Canon did, but unfortunately I gave in and am ONLY using Canon batteries and chargers now.

Before the firmware update I had over 10 different third party batteries and even one of those dual chargers. They all worked fine without any problems. But after about a year I did notice some of the off brands were holding much smaller charges. When shooting stills it wasn't a huge issue, but I noticed when doing video shoots they were dying way sooner than they should. Not to mention that percentage status was way off. A couple of them went from 50% to dead in an instant. On a wedding shoot I was a 2nd video shooter and ALMOST missed the kiss at the altar when the battery suddenly died without any warning. I had just put in a fresh (or so I thought) battery at the start of the ceremony (and this was a shorter ceremony, about 15 minutes not hours long).

This happened a couple times before this case but this close call woke me up. I just had to pull the trigger and get the damned overpriced Canon batteries. I hate Canon for overcharging on this most basic accessory, but it's just not worth it getting screwed over trying to save a few bucks.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2014, 03:13:05 AM »
I hate Canon for overcharging on this most basic accessory, but it's just not worth it getting screwed over trying to save a few bucks.

If it would be a *few* bucks, but it isn't - I can buy a working chipped battery at 1/2-1/3 of Canon's price, and it will work in the current cameras. If Canon manages to disable them again some time from now, I can simply buy another updated 3rd party battery, unused and at 100% charge, and still save money.

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2014, 07:43:15 AM »
I hate Canon for overcharging on this most basic accessory, but it's just not worth it getting screwed over trying to save a few bucks.

If it would be a *few* bucks, but it isn't - I can buy a working chipped battery at 1/2-1/3 of Canon's price, and it will work in the current cameras. If Canon manages to disable them again some time from now, I can simply buy another updated 3rd party battery, unused and at 100% charge, and still save money.

not really if you had to buy two batteries at half price you just bought one full priced batter two half's make a whole, or is this new math?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2014, 07:43:15 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2014, 07:55:32 AM »

Buying a chipped battery at 1/2-1/3 of Canon's price means you're saving $30-40.  I know that 'every little bit counts' but saving somewhere between 1-4% of the cost of the camera is probably not worth the risk for most people.  Granted, if you're buying 4+ batteries, it adds up.  But if you're buying that many batteries, you probably need reliability.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2014, 11:36:24 AM »

For comparison purposes, my 6D charger is an AKBL, and has worked with all the third-party batteries I've tried so far, but then, they're all models that work with the 6D, so they're probably new enough to work with the updated 5Dmk3 firmware, too, so I guess that probably doesn't tell us much.

And just a day after I posted that, the second one of my cheap third-party batteries stopped communicating with the camera and won't charge with the Canon charger.  So I've confirmed that if the chip doesn't work with the camera, the charger just rolls its eyes.

Before the firmware update I had over 10 different third party batteries and even one of those dual chargers. They all worked fine without any problems. But after about a year I did notice some of the off brands were holding much smaller charges. When shooting stills it wasn't a huge issue, but I noticed when doing video shoots they were dying way sooner than they should. Not to mention that percentage status was way off. A couple of them went from 50% to dead in an instant.

That's caused by a bad cell in the pack.  Assuming that you buy from a reputable third-party manufacturer that sources cells from the same companies that Canon does, your odds of that happening should be the same as with a Canon battery.  Of course, if the manufacturer buys junk batteries from a less-than-reputable manufacturer, you're screwed....

The bigger problem with some of the third-party batteries is that their electronics don't reliably reset when they are fully discharged, resulting in the chip becoming (at least temporarily) bricked, the camera refusing to communicate with the battery, and the battery becoming unchargeable except by third-party chargers.  I've seen this happen with the generic (non-branded) batteries that came with my third-party grip.  Thus far, I've had no troubles with the branded third-party battery that B&H shipped with my 6D (a Watson).

What it really comes down to is that if you buy third-party batteries, you should buy the ones that cost half what the Canon batteries cost, and not the ones that cost a tenth what the Canon batteries cost, because there's a price limit below which the adage "you get what you pay for" turns into "you don't even get what you paid for".  :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:43:46 AM by dgatwood »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2014, 11:50:22 AM »
I know that 'every little bit counts' but saving somewhere between 1-4% of the cost of the camera is probably not worth the risk for most people.  Granted, if you're buying 4+ batteries, it adds up.  But if you're buying that many batteries, you probably need reliability.

Apart from me being Mr. Budget - what risk? Am I missing something here, or has the Canon fud finally sunk in? I'd evaluate the risk of a chipped (i.e. premium) 3rd party battery to turn into an explosive device just as with Canon, that's about zero. The one possibility I see is that it might have less charge or less load cycles, alas, it's cheaper.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2014, 12:36:27 PM »
I know that 'every little bit counts' but saving somewhere between 1-4% of the cost of the camera is probably not worth the risk for most people.  Granted, if you're buying 4+ batteries, it adds up.  But if you're buying that many batteries, you probably need reliability.

Apart from me being Mr. Budget - what risk? Am I missing something here, or has the Canon fud finally sunk in? I'd evaluate the risk of a chipped (i.e. premium) 3rd party battery to turn into an explosive device just as with Canon, that's about zero. The one possibility I see is that it might have less charge or less load cycles, alas, it's cheaper.

Read the post above yours, see if anything sinks in. Here, I'll quote the relevant bit:

And just a day after I posted that, the second one of my cheap third-party batteries stopped communicating with the camera and won't charge with the Canon charger.  So I've confirmed that if the chip doesn't work with the camera, the charger just rolls its eyes.

Say you're on vacation with your two cheap, chipped batteries and your Canon charger, and on the first day out those batteries decide to stop charging in your charger (which you likely wouldn't notice until that night, when you needed to charge them).  Have a new pair FedEx'd to you at the Ngorongoro Crater Lodge?  The package absolutely, positively won't be there overnight...not to mention the high cost of getting bona fide LP-E6s shipped there at all.

Maybe you wouldn't care if you missed hundreds of shots on a once-in-a-lifetime vacation.  I suspect most people would consider that a significant risk - it seems quite reasonable to fear such an occurrence, be uncertain about the possibility, and thus doubt the wisdom of saving a few dollars on a cheaper 3rd party battery.

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2014, 12:57:35 PM »
Neuro, please, you 're better than this. Every Canon camera comes with a fully functioning, non-counterfeit battery (even if it *can* trip Canon's no-fakes-protection). You can always use that for spares - I do. There's your backup. But my four main batteries are aftermarket, averaging less than $15 a piece.

I used third parties for over a decade, never a problem. You really should ignore that, as a scientist of your stature would steer well clear of generalisations based on hearsay, as you did in your previous post. By the way, by that reasoning, all Canons are unreliable, too. An even dumber argument is to regard the price of batts relative to the price of the camera. You only buy expensive petrol for your expensive car?

And "I suspect most people would consider that a significant risk"? WTF? That *is* fud, and a fallacy. Posts like these take away my appetite for this forum. And I KNOW you're cleverer than this. I'm with Marsu - in suspecting the fud has sunk in, at least - and out of here. Don't bother convincing me you were making sense - you're not and you know it.
Fed up with brandism.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2014, 03:07:53 PM »
Neuro, please, you 're better than this. Every Canon camera comes with a fully functioning, non-counterfeit battery (even if it *can* trip Canon's no-fakes-protection). You can always use that for spares - I do. There's your backup. But my four main batteries are aftermarket, averaging less than $15 a piece.

I used third parties for over a decade, never a problem. You really should ignore that, as a scientist of your stature would steer well clear of generalisations based on hearsay, as you did in your previous post. By the way, by that reasoning, all Canons are unreliable, too. An even dumber argument is to regard the price of batts relative to the price of the camera. You only buy expensive petrol for your expensive car?

And "I suspect most people would consider that a significant risk"? WTF? That *is* fud, and a fallacy. Posts like these take away my appetite for this forum. And I KNOW you're cleverer than this. I'm with Marsu - in suspecting the fud has sunk in, at least - and out of here. Don't bother convincing me you were making sense - you're not and you know it.

Have you ever taken more shots in one day than a single battery allows? If not, lucky you.  If so, how good is one 'fully functioning, non-counterfeit battery' as a backup?

Ahhh, so the reports of 3rd party batteries failing to register with the camera and/or becoming incompatible with the Canon LC-E6 charger are baseless lies?  Or they're true, but there's just no chance of it actually happening?  Or if it does happen, there's no risk of not having enough batteries to finish the shoot/day/trip?  Many event shooters have at least one battery charging during the event.  Personally, when on vacation I leave a battery (or batteries) in the charger in the hotel room, so I can swap in freshly-charged at the end of the day, before heading out at night.  If you're shooting in the cold, you get far fewer shots per charge than in temperate climates.

It's in Canon's best interest to ensure their OEM batteries retain full compatibility with their cameras, whereas they have no such motivation with 3rd parties (and, it could be argued, it's better for Canon if they engineer a planned failure of a non-OEM product).  There's always a risk any product will fail.  That risk is higher with a 3rd party battery, as shown by dgatwood's post, but 3rd party batteries are cheaper.  So, like many things in life, everyone can make their own decision about how much risk they're willing to tolerate vs. how much money they'll save.  To you, the benefit of the cost savings outweighed the additional risk. For me, if spending an extra $30-40 mitigates that risk, even a little bit, that's money well spent.

Sorry you're losing your appetite - I KNOW the truth sometimes gives people indigestion.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2014, 03:07:53 PM »

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2014, 06:02:34 PM »
Say you're on vacation with your two cheap, chipped batteries and your Canon charger, and on the first day out those batteries decide to stop charging in your charger (which you likely wouldn't notice until that night, when you needed to charge them).  Have a new pair FedEx'd to you at the Ngorongoro Crater Lodge?  The package absolutely, positively won't be there overnight...not to mention the high cost of getting bona fide LP-E6s shipped there at all.

Maybe you wouldn't care if you missed hundreds of shots on a once-in-a-lifetime vacation.  I suspect most people would consider that a significant risk - it seems quite reasonable to fear such an occurrence, be uncertain about the possibility, and thus doubt the wisdom of saving a few dollars on a cheaper 3rd party battery.

This is why I carry a minimum of three batteries, and at the moment, six... so having one die over Thanksgiving and one die over Christmas didn't cause me to lose any shots.  :)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2014, 06:45:54 PM »
This is why I carry a minimum of three batteries, and at the moment, six... so having one die over Thanksgiving and one die over Christmas didn't cause me to lose any shots.  :)

Ok, so let's see...  A Wasabi LP-E6 is $30, buying six and having two fail raises the average cost to $45.  You carry at least three, meaning $135.  Two Canon LP-E6 (they're reliable, you only need two) costs $120. 

Cheaper batteries save money?  Sure.    ;)

(Ok, I did double count the failure rate.  Still, they're not 1/2 to 1/3 the price of OEM once you factor in the failure rate.  Is saving 25% - $15/battery - really worth having to carry extras and worry about when they'll fail?)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2014, 06:45:54 PM »