July 29, 2014, 12:11:44 AM

Author Topic: 70D performance against video cameras  (Read 1981 times)

Capnbooboo

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
70D performance against video cameras
« on: December 12, 2013, 08:24:39 PM »
So i am suprised anyone with a FF 5diii/ii 6D would rather sell and get a 70D for video,
I understand that if a person does more video then portraits, has no need for portraits or a studio they should get a video camera, but why a 70d if its not a FF and there are other video camera options out there that do so much more?

Can anyone share a good comparison with video cameras at the same price range, are there not video cameras even cheaper now that exchange lenses like the 70d, Sony, Canon etc???
Canon 5d Mkiii 24/105 Lens Kit with Kinotehnik VF, 64GB Sandisk card/45mbs, EYE-FI 16GB, Lexar 32GB 1000x CF card.

canon rumors FORUM

70D performance against video cameras
« on: December 12, 2013, 08:24:39 PM »

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: 70D performance against video cameras
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 07:54:07 AM »
DSLR cameras can make high quality videos in some cases, but not reach the versatility and reliability of cameras shoulder as Panasonic HMC80. To make videos of "general use" I would choose Panasonic HMC80, but the images with DSLR cameras can look of cinema, spending much less. What excited the supporters of DSLR cinema was the auto focus, who first got the same efficiency of video cameras shoulder. I imagine 70D focus can hunt (any camera failure) with F1.2 aperture lens, but he shines in works of fiction, which can be repeated when necessary scenes. The bit rate recorded in the Canon 70D is also superior to any camera shoulder below $ 5000, and this is a big boost when it needs to "clean" and beautiful images.

thgmuffin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 04:25:50 AM »
Plus, the DSLR is nice and light when we compare it to some video cameras.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 01:58:57 PM »
but why a 70d if its not a FF

A ff has the thinner depth of field unless you compensate with aperture which might not be what you want for video as it's more difficult to focus. Also the 70d has a swivel screen, and when doing video (or tripod/macro photography) for hours and hours you'll really get to like this feature. Problem is - 70d doesn't run Magic Lantern (yet), and even if it does the sd card slot will be too slow for hd raw video.

Capnbooboo

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 07:46:03 PM »
you know the thing is that the 70D is more less a 7D in a 60D body, the only features it has to provide above the crowd of Canon cameras is that it has auto-focus during video and wifi ike the 6D which has wifi also and a FF.

Most video cameras are not true FF (apart Arrie etc), even the Sony so called FF recently with the option for interchangeable lenses, i am just wondering what pars up with a 70D and also whats around the corner with the Mirror-less cameras.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 08:34:32 PM by Capnbooboo »
Canon 5d Mkiii 24/105 Lens Kit with Kinotehnik VF, 64GB Sandisk card/45mbs, EYE-FI 16GB, Lexar 32GB 1000x CF card.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 09:11:30 PM »
DSLR's with video appeal to those who can afford only one camera and want to be able to take high quality stills as well as video's.  APS-C video is nothing to scoff at, particularly in that price range.
The video feature is a huge selling point, and Canon is increasing their share of the market.  They are selling Cinema bodies and $40K lenses too.  Their new support facility in Hollywood has convinced many cinematographers that they are serious about video.

I find video to be too difficult and have only made a few video's.  I'm a old guy, the younger generations are going to revolutionize video and movie making, in fact, its already happening.  You no longer need a $250k Camera to make movies.

Capnbooboo

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 04:53:21 AM »
im in my 40s, i worked back in the late 80s i was at wcbs while a audio student of Audio Institute, i am not saying there is anything wrong with fusing 35mm with mirror cameras, no doubt was the 5dmkii a transformation, I am only asking what Video camera would be the equivalent to the 70D.

While the GoPro seems to be mentioned (if you google around) its a totally different game, the GoPRo is a action camera, small, shoots 120FPS for real time capture at high speeds for slow motion, yes i wish my 5d3 had a tilt screen, shot at 120FPS at 2k i fact but Canon made it so that you BUY their cinema gear instead or they would have  no reason to make a 5D in the first place, its a FF photo camera not a video camera, the 60d and 70d are their low end plastic video cameras with cropped sensors.

So whats the equivalent to the 70d a nikon?? a Sony? there has to be something out there that delivers the same results but provides all the bells and whistles the 70D does not as a PHOTO camera with video features.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 04:53:21 AM »

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 09:13:06 PM »
If you want a comparison between cameras "equivalent" to the Canon 70D in feature continuous autofocus, as close as the others arrived was Sony Alpha77. Even so, Canon 70D focuses more faster and surprisingly accurate. We must clarify that APS-C is about the same size sensor the 35mm cinema film. This happens because the 35mm film used in cinema is a reel that rotates vertically, using an area of approximately 24x14mm. Thus, the full frame DSLR cameras have sensor larger than standard 35mm film professional cinema. In fact, the APS-C cameras have sensor size (and depth of field) more like the cameras used in Hollywood movies. A decade ago, to make a film with the same aesthetic appearance of a Hollywood movie, the only option was to use super-35mm cameras that cost U$ 500 000 body only, besides the high cost of film and development. Today Canon 70D delivers the same depth of field and costs U$ 1200. Other features include dynamic range and color depth, where traditional 35mm film is the standard to be achieved. A serious competitor for digital cinema is the Sony FS100, but at this price it competes directly with the Canon C100.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 09:23:27 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

sjschall

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 11:39:52 AM »
. . . there has to be something out there that delivers the same results but provides all the bells and whistles the 70D does not as a PHOTO camera with video features.

That's just it - there isn't. There's nothing that compares to the look of DSLR movies at that price point and form factor. Why do you think so many people (myself included) willingly purchase(d) DSLRs primarily for video, knowing the limitations that come along with it? It's why everyone says the MkII was such a game changer.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 11:28:37 PM »

So whats the equivalent to the 70d a nikon?? a Sony? there has to be something out there that delivers the same results but provides all the bells and whistles the 70D does not as a PHOTO camera with video features.

The Canon EOS C100 is pretty close, it can be upgraded to the dual pixel autofocus,  and it has a similar sized sensor.

Check this one out:  Super 35 sensors are close to APS-C.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761580-REG/Sony_NEX_FS100UK_NEX_FS100U_Super_35mm_Sensor.html

dgatwood

• 6D
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 10:15:41 AM »
DSLR's with video appeal to those who can afford only one camera and want to be able to take high quality stills as well as video's.

I think it more frequently appeals to people who don't want to carry a separate camcorder.  :)

jeffa4444

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 02:40:49 PM »
DSLRs make crappy video cameras ergonomically if they were the best tool Canon, Sony, Panasonic et al would not make high end video cameras. The reason the cameras shoot video is because all the grunt work is done to provide live view and process engines to shoot high frame rates. Aliasing and other artifacts are far worse in DSLRs as a whole than pure play HD video cams.
Canon 6d, 7d & 550d with EF-S and EF-L glass

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 02:40:49 PM »