November 26, 2014, 08:09:31 AM

Author Topic: How can it be?  (Read 1478 times)

Anthonyhnj

• Power Shot G7X
  • Someday, somewhere I'll get it right!
    • View Profile
    • Onedumbphoto (One dumb photo a day, everyday!)
How can it be?
« on: December 13, 2013, 05:20:36 PM »
Hi, just purchased a new canon 70d body.  after the first few shots I noticed a dark spot in the upper portion each photo.  OK, dust on the sensor, maybe when putting on the lens, i get it.  I have had my share of dslr's over the years, so i know what sensor dust is.  Just take my rocket blower and all gone, never a issue.

So after noticing the the dark spot, i took out the blower, blasted a few times, reattached the lens and shot.  Guess what, dark spot still there.  I put the camera in manual cleaning mode, mirror lifted and the exposed sensor shows no dust that can be seen with the naked eye. 

My question is, could it be something other than dust causing the dark spot, it only shows up against the blue sky, which i shoot a lot of landscapes.  Should i return the camera in exchange for a new one.

Your thoughts?

Best,
Anthony :)

canon rumors FORUM

How can it be?
« on: December 13, 2013, 05:20:36 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
Re: How can it be?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 05:23:51 PM »
Hi, just purchased a new canon 70d body.  after the first few shots I noticed a dark spot in the upper portion each photo.  OK, dust on the sensor, maybe when putting on the lens, i get it.  I have had my share of dslr's over the years, so i know what sensor dust is.  Just take my rocket blower and all gone, never a issue.

So after noticing the the dark spot, i took out the blower, blasted a few times, reattached the lens and shot.  Guess what, dark spot still there.  I put the camera in manual cleaning mode, mirror lifted and the exposed sensor shows no dust that can be seen with the naked eye. 

My question is, could it be something other than dust causing the dark spot, it only shows up against the blue sky, which i shoot a lot of landscapes.  Should i return the camera in exchange for a new one.

Your thoughts?

Best,
Anthony :)

Have you checked the lens? Or is it a lens you've used before and should be good? Have you used the mirror lockup function and taken a look at the sensor itself?

I'd probably just return it, or if you bought it from a local camera store bring it in to them and show them what you're seeing and get them to figure it out.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 06:07:01 PM »
If it's not dust, it could be oil.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Anthonyhnj

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 06:14:30 PM »
I have tried different lenses and all produce the same result. I have locked up the mirror and the sensor looks clean to the naked eye. Shined a light on it and can't  see anything that would make the spot show up.

If the spot was in the upper part of the photo is it at the top or bottom of the sensor.

2n10

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 08:36:09 PM »
It will be at the bottom in the opposite side from what you see in the picture if I remember right.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 08:45:24 PM »
  I put the camera in manual cleaning mode, mirror lifted and the exposed sensor shows no dust that can be seen with the naked eye. 

Have you used the mirror lockup function and taken a look at the sensor itself?

???

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

dak723

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
Really no reason to test it any further - or to try and diagnose it.  It costs a lot of money, so if you're not satisfied (and you shouldn't be) you should exchange it.  Hopefully you got it somewhere where exchanges are easy.  It took me 3 tries to get a 6D that exposed properly!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 08:54:57 PM »
Really no reason to test it any further - or to try and diagnose it.  It costs a lot of money, so if you're not satisfied (and you shouldn't be) you should exchange it.  Hopefully you got it somewhere where exchanges are easy.  It took me 3 tries to get a 6D that exposed properly!
+1
I vote that you exchange it.

Anthonyhnj

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 05:54:22 PM »

I exchanged it today for a new one.

Thanks

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 06:35:14 PM »
It took me 3 tries to get a 6D that exposed properly!

What was wrong with your 6d - was the exposure completely broken, or were the problems more subtle?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 06:35:14 PM »