September 30, 2014, 06:25:12 AM

Author Topic: update: video Canon 6D turns itself off after a few shots with full battery  (Read 4438 times)

ddyourself

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Just update with the video I sent to Canon, which didn't convince them there is an issue. I was basically told unless they can repro it on their end, no fix. I am amazed though they were not able to repro it for such a simple issue.

http://youtu.be/3PNLUYd8g7A

----------------------------------

I bought this brand new canon 6D from BH. Recently, I found the camera constantly shuts itself off after 20 - 100 continuous shots with a FULLY charged battery (right off charger, showing 8.23V using multimeter, and showing 98% in battery info).

The camera will just turn itself off in the middle of shooting, showing empty battery int the shoulder window. The solution is simple, open the battery door, then close it again, no need even to pull the battery.

But this is annoying and it is wrong. Anybody saw this issue before and any solution?

TIA
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:50:10 AM by ddyourself »

canon rumors FORUM

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Canon 6D turns itself off after a few shots with fully charged battery
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 02:01:58 PM »
The camera will just turn itself off in the middle of shooting, showing empty battery int the shoulder window. The solution is simple, open the battery door, then close it again, no need even to pull the battery.

Sounds like your camera is broken, get it serviced. Opening & re-shutting the battery door reboots the camera, that's why it starts working again after a crash.

ddyourself

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 02:59:58 PM »

Sounds like your camera is broken, get it serviced. Opening & re-shutting the battery door reboots the camera, that's why it starts working again after a crash.

Ah, this sounds bad, I got this camera new just a month ago from BH, only charged the battery twice. :-(

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »
Ah, this sounds bad, I got this camera new just a month ago from BH, only charged the battery twice. :-(

Well, things break, you know (this is the reason why pros always have backup gear). Be happy that it happened inside the warranty...

dgatwood

• 5D Mark III
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 11:49:57 AM »

Does it happen with both batteries, or just one?  Sudden, random drop in output when under load is a common failure mode for defective Lithium ion cells.

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 12:15:07 PM »
I have a 6D and I've never had this happen. Since you only bought it a month ago, I suggest you call B&H and ask them to exchange it. If they say the timeframe is outside of their return period, then send it into Canon.

ddyourself

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 06:26:55 PM »

Does it happen with both batteries, or just one?  Sudden, random drop in output when under load is a common failure mode for defective Lithium ion cells.

Well, I sent the camera for factory service missing the whole holiday. Canon genius sent it right back claiming no issue. Of course, they didn't fix it.

I got a new battery and same thing happened, even worse. The camera now just randomly dies, sometimes even just after flipping through the menu without a single shot.

I am sending the camera back to Canon for service again tomorrow ... 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 06:26:55 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 06:46:02 PM »

Well, I sent the camera for factory service missing the whole holiday. Canon genius sent it right back claiming no issue. Of course, they didn't fix it.

I got a new battery and same thing happened, even worse. The camera now just randomly dies, sometimes even just after flipping through the menu without a single shot.

I am sending the camera back to Canon for service again tomorrow ...
Make sure you send the battery(s) too...
You could also shoot a video of it failing, burn it onto a DVD, and send it as well...
The best camera is the one in your hands

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 07:09:10 PM »

... which proves that technology failing is not a bit issue, it gets problematic if it fails *sometimes* and you cannot reproduce it :-\ ... but I agree you should try to find some form of documentation so they can't dismiss your problem again.

ddyourself

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 09:58:45 PM »

... which proves that technology failing is not a bit issue, it gets problematic if it fails *sometimes* and you cannot reproduce it :-\ ... but I agree you should try to find some form of documentation so they can't dismiss your problem again.

Well, as an engineer I myself, I know how difficult it is to debug a random issue. But this thing is easy to reproduce, very easy, if they have tried twice, I am pretty sure they would have hit one. I am fairly disappointment with the service.

As suggested above, I am going to send a video in this time so they cannot just deny it.

tat3406

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 10:24:30 PM »
I also had similar problem, but I bought used, so I don't send back to Canon. I bought two 3rd party battery working very well, shoot at least 600 picture for a full charge. I think some battery have connect issue with the body.

ddyourself

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 10:51:49 PM »
I also had similar problem, but I bought used, so I don't send back to Canon. I bought two 3rd party battery working very well, shoot at least 600 picture for a full charge. I think some battery have connect issue with the body.

I heard similar stories. But I had two brand new genuine Canon batteries. Both give me 0 - 100 shots before quitting. That's just not acceptable.

tat3406

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 04:08:07 AM »

I heard similar stories. But I had two brand new genuine Canon batteries. Both give me 0 - 100 shots before quitting. That's just not acceptable.

Send back your camera and battery to Canon, tell them third party battery is cheaper and working better.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 04:08:07 AM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 05:02:39 AM »
Send back your camera and battery to Canon, tell them third party battery is cheaper and working better.

Right, that'll make their CEO think :-p

MintChocs

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 07:01:17 AM »
Could be a faulty sensor, motherboard. Definitely get a replacement not a repair as it is so new otherwise the Canon repair will probably keep sending it back to you and finally give you a refurb instead of a new one that you paid for.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:04:16 AM by MintChocs »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 07:01:17 AM »