August 29, 2014, 02:28:59 PM

Author Topic: update: video Canon 6D turns itself off after a few shots with full battery  (Read 4264 times)

ddyourself

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 6D turns itself off after a few shots with fully charged battery
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 04:26:06 PM »
Could be a faulty sensor, motherboard. Definitely get a replacement not a repair as it is so new otherwise the Canon repair will probably keep sending it back to you and finally give you a refurb instead of a new one that you paid for.

Unfortunately, when I contacted b&h, it is a little bit over 30 day. I guess I have no choice but to wait Canon to fix it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 04:26:06 PM »

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 09:07:05 PM »
Hi dd.
Was it being away at canon that took it over the 30 days, just a thought, they may honour the return of the body if you are having a replacement 6D with it having already been back to canon?
Personally I think if they cannot fix it you should get a replacement new item not a refurb as it is so new, but I guess if that is not their policy it won't happen.

Whatever, I hope they sort it satisfactorily.

Cheers Graham.

Could be a faulty sensor, motherboard. Definitely get a replacement not a repair as it is so new otherwise the Canon repair will probably keep sending it back to you and finally give you a refurb instead of a new one that you paid for.

Unfortunately, when I contacted b&h, it is a little bit over 30 day. I guess I have no choice but to wait Canon to fix it.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

ddyourself

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 10:14:46 AM »
I am totally amazed by Canon.

I sent the camera in again with my lens and battery. Also, a video showing the issue on a standalone CF card (I know 6D does not take CF, just to put the video on it).

Couples of days later, they called ask for accessories, I was like, what accessories, I don't have any more.

Then the camera sit in their facility for a few days for nothing. All of sudden I received a phone call on Monday morning, said it is ready. The camera has no issue at all.

I called, asked whether they have watched the video, they told me two technicians, including a senior one, was not able to upload the video to the computer. I was like, what the hell? why the heck you need to upload it to the computer, find a card reader, plug the card in, double click, how simple is that?

I talked to the service manager over the phone, he told me that there is nothing he could do, if their technician said so. They have decided to send my camera back, NOT fixed, again.

Honestly, I am totally pissed, how stupid can they be? I included a letter with detailed steps on how to reproduce this issue. As an engineer myself, I know how easy to reproduce this issue. But what shocked me is that they don't even know or they didn't even bother to watch the video. In the same letter, I asked/begged them to contact me if they cannot reproduce the issue instead of just sending it back unfixed.

Guys, any other ways to get their attention? I already filed a BBB complaint. For a brand new camera of 3 months old, it has been in Canon's repair shop for almost a month. This is simply not acceptable.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 10:26:55 AM »
Guys, any other ways to get their attention? I already filed a BBB complaint. For a brand new camera of 3 months old, it has been in Canon's repair shop for almost a month. This is simply not acceptable.

Did you try to post this on Canon's official forum? Maybe more bad publicity closer to home will get their attention, like whenever someone complains about Adorama some helpful PR person will drop on you and include a gift voucher just to get you off their backs.

Or maybe they targetted you for a socio-demograpic customer survery, just trying to figure out your breaking point...

Pieces Of E

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon owners and operators
    • View Profile
    • Pieces Of E, LLC
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 11:40:40 AM »
DD, early in this post, you said you had the camera only 30 days(which you should have contacted B&H immediately), now you call it a 3 month old camera, being at Canon for less than a month which means you are not telling the truth about it's actual age. Also, you should have copied your video onto a CD and not a CF card and they might have taken a look at it. You also didn't tell us which Canon repair facility you sent the 6D to. I hope you got your camera fixed or replaced for all you've been through, but your story doesn't jive.
EOS 7D, BG-E7, EF 300L IS f4, EF 100L IS f2.8 macro, EF 24-105L IS f4 , EF 1.4 extender MKIII, EF-S 10-22 f3.5-5.6, 70-200L IS f2.8 II, EOS-M, 22 f2 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS STM, EF 85 f1.8

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 11:41:08 AM »
do you know anyone else that has a 6d or a 5D2 or 5D3? i would try to see if your batteries reproduce the failure in another camera or if their batteries reproduce the failure in yours.

i certainly sympathize with you concerning the service center's response so far. if it were me i would try to truly isolate what the problem is by eliminating as many variables as possible...thus the battery/camera swapping.

it is possible that you got a bad batch of batteries, meaning both of the batteries you recieved from B&H were faulty in some way. i don't think this is the problem but proving that definitively on another camera could be useful.

after that, i would stay on the service center. they are great most of the time but every once in a while they turn into frustrating dopes. it happens...

make a big stink and demand answers or replacement. try to remain calm with them as they should react better if you present your case with reason and documented facts. 
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 12:49:56 PM »
Its pretty obviously not a battery issue, since you tried two new batteries.  Its likely a internal issue.  They can be hard to duplicate, you mentioned that it happens after a large number of consecutive shots, but are you using high speed capture and holding the button down, or just clicking the shutter a hundred times?  Canon will not want to put several hundred actuations on your camera to check it out unless you are specific.

It is only easily duplicated if you tell them exactly what shutter mode it happens in, and when it happens (At shot 111).  If its a random number of shots, it could be 1000 sometimes.

I hope it gets resolved.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 12:49:56 PM »

ddyourself

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 01:04:27 PM »
DD, early in this post, you said you had the camera only 30 days(which you should have contacted B&H immediately), now you call it a 3 month old camera, being at Canon for less than a month which means you are not telling the truth about it's actual age. Also, you should have copied your video onto a CD and not a CF card and they might have taken a look at it. You also didn't tell us which Canon repair facility you sent the 6D to. I hope you got your camera fixed or replaced for all you've been through, but your story doesn't jive.

hmm, I purchased the camera on Oct 24th and delivered by the end of Oct, when I contacted Canon, it was around Dec 8th, wasn't roughly a 30 days? yeah, 40 days exactly. But I passed the return window from B&H.

Now, it is 3 months old. I was saying the camera has been in their VA repair facility for almost a month for two repairs.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:37:13 PM by ddyourself »

ddyourself

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 01:08:22 PM »
Its pretty obviously not a battery issue, since you tried two new batteries.  Its likely a internal issue.  They can be hard to duplicate, you mentioned that it happens after a large number of consecutive shots, but are you using high speed capture and holding the button down, or just clicking the shutter a hundred times?  Canon will not want to put several hundred actuations on your camera to check it out unless you are specific.

It is only easily duplicated if you tell them exactly what shutter mode it happens in, and when it happens (At shot 111).  If its a random number of shots, it could be 1000 sometimes.

I hope it gets resolved.

It is not that bad, it only takes 20 shots to 100 shots at most to repro it. But this is truly a random number, 40 is the usual number I hit, but I had the issue reproduced with 0, 1, 2, or any number of shots.

The worst part is I included a video, but they didn't bother to look at it. In that 2minutes video, the camera died twice without a single shot.

Gorku

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 01:13:18 PM »
Well I do not have that exact problem however I found out that when I have the GPS turned on inside a Building the battery will discharge very very fast.

In fact sometimes I have only taken a few shots and left it in the camera back. The NeXT day the camera does not even turn on. This is because the GPS is always on (if not deactivated in the menu) even though you turn the camera off.

ddyourself

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 01:17:26 PM »
Well I do not have that exact problem however I found out that when I have the GPS turned on inside a Building the battery will discharge very very fast.

In fact sometimes I have only taken a few shots and left it in the camera back. The NeXT day the camera does not even turn on. This is because the GPS is always on (if not deactivated in the menu) even though you turn the camera off.

But in that case, your battery is actually completely drained, right? In my case, GPS is turned off, and the battery is still almost full. If I turn the camera off and turn it on again, battery info still shows 90%+ battery.

Gorku

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 01:39:52 PM »
Yes in my case the battery is totally drained and I have to recharge it (does not happen outside though). It then sounds like you have a defective camera. I hope the problem gets solved soon!

ifp

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Blog
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 01:42:02 PM »
Have you tried a different SD card?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 01:42:02 PM »

ddyourself

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 01:57:56 PM »
Have you tried a different SD card?

Yes, also tried different SD card as well :-( Both a Patriot and a SONY Class 10.

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 03:10:24 PM »
you know, it hadnt occurred to me before but all of a sudden i am reminded of my 5DC turning itself off intermittently.

turns out the on/off switch was a bit faulty. the camera would power down with just a slight bump of the switch. it wouldnt even move to the off position at all...just a bit of a nudge and the camera would go down.

it didnt help that the switch was on the back where my face would bump it while shooting and i realize the 6D has its switch on the top left of the camera but it might be worth wiggle the switches gently to see if that powers the camera down
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 03:10:24 PM »