April 20, 2014, 04:49:25 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Not Coming? [CR1]  (Read 8868 times)

crasher8

Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Not Coming? [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 10:31:41 AM »
CR1 = Meh

I am still looking forward to this as a 2nd body.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 10:31:41 AM »

rs

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 10:37:30 AM »
You might have only needed a 400mm lens on a crop but now you need a 600mm on a FF so it encourages sales of more expensive lenses.

That is simply not true.  A 400mm lens on a cropped FF image is exactly the same as 400mm on a crop sensor.  The only [current] benefits of a crop sensor is sensor/camera production costs, cropped image resolution, image, fps, and lens size/weight. 

No, in fact his statement is true. While it is true the lens produces the same image, the sensors do not see the same image. The crop sensor only sees a portion of the image. So while we know that you can crop an image with many FF and get about the same quality out of 7D sensor, the comparison does not stop there.

The framing of your image is an important difference between a crop and FF sensor. It is best practice to frame your shot as it needs to be framed rather than crop. It is better to practice this rather than approach a picture saying you will crop it. Another issue with framing is your ability to acquire a target. For me personally I found that a crop sensor on a 500mm body (800mm imaginary focal length) gave just about the maximum framing that I could use for hand held fast moving birds. The smaller window of view makes it more difficult to pick up the subject. For me the 1D IV sensor is about right.

So for me on a crop body I would not consider the 600mm, the FOV would bit to tight on a crop body and 500mm would be about right. For the 1D IV either a 500 or 600 would work. For a FF I would have to go with the 600mm.

So yes, going FF over crop sensor does drive the sales of the longer telephoto lenses.

A 7D II sensor that will produce superior or comparable IQ to a FF body would be of great interest. I doubt MintChocs logic that Canon would not release a high grade crop sensor to protect higher end lines. Instead I think Canon would jack the price of such a camera up and hope it increased sales of the 300mm and 500mm lenses
A couple of things:

With a 400mm FF combo, not having it cropped in-camera gives you the breathing space to not 100% follow the action in the centre of the frame, and the ability to see outside of the intended frame to help find your subject

And, what about simply using a TC with a 400 on FF?
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

hoodlum

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Birds
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 10:40:53 AM »
It's plausible, Canon are probably trying to steer people to full frame and protect their more expensive models. The quality produced by new crop sensors is good enough in most sensors some pro's might not feel the need to buy more expensive bodies. You might have only needed a 400mm lens on a crop but now you need a 600mm on a FF so it encourages sales of more expensive lenses.

That is why I will be getting the new Tamron 150-600mm.  Canon may want us to buy 600mm but the jump in price is too great to justify any of their lenses.

thfifthcrouch

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 10:50:44 AM »
TCs are cool but they do represent a loss in f/stops, slightly degraded images and the need for higher ISOs.  So I kinda think that it becomes a wash vs a crop frame.  But tiz a good point about tracking a bird with a bigger view finder.

takesome1

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 10:58:50 AM »
You might have only needed a 400mm lens on a crop but now you need a 600mm on a FF so it encourages sales of more expensive lenses.

That is simply not true.  A 400mm lens on a cropped FF image is exactly the same as 400mm on a crop sensor.  The only [current] benefits of a crop sensor is sensor/camera production costs, cropped image resolution, image, fps, and lens size/weight. 

No, in fact his statement is true. While it is true the lens produces the same image, the sensors do not see the same image. The crop sensor only sees a portion of the image. So while we know that you can crop an image with many FF and get about the same quality out of 7D sensor, the comparison does not stop there.

The framing of your image is an important difference between a crop and FF sensor. It is best practice to frame your shot as it needs to be framed rather than crop. It is better to practice this rather than approach a picture saying you will crop it. Another issue with framing is your ability to acquire a target. For me personally I found that a crop sensor on a 500mm body (800mm imaginary focal length) gave just about the maximum framing that I could use for hand held fast moving birds. The smaller window of view makes it more difficult to pick up the subject. For me the 1D IV sensor is about right.

So for me on a crop body I would not consider the 600mm, the FOV would bit to tight on a crop body and 500mm would be about right. For the 1D IV either a 500 or 600 would work. For a FF I would have to go with the 600mm.

So yes, going FF over crop sensor does drive the sales of the longer telephoto lenses.

A 7D II sensor that will produce superior or comparable IQ to a FF body would be of great interest. I doubt MintChocs logic that Canon would not release a high grade crop sensor to protect higher end lines. Instead I think Canon would jack the price of such a camera up and hope it increased sales of the 300mm and 500mm lenses
A couple of things:

With a 400mm FF combo, not having it cropped in-camera gives you the breathing space to not 100% follow the action in the centre of the frame, and the ability to see outside of the intended frame to help find your subject

It would give you more breathing room. With the current version of the 7D there are many reasons that a 1D IV or a 1D X would be superior. Most of which have nothing to do with framing and cropping. The AF system alone makes the 1D IV a far superior camera. The low light abilities and the AF system of the 1D X make even more superior.

But there is a question, what if a 7D II sensor closes this gap?

As far as a TC, it slows down AF system and breaks down IQ.  But if there is an argument that a crop sensor would cannibalize 600mm sales why would Canon release a TC that might do the same. It isn't going to happen.

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 11:00:02 AM »
It's plausible, Canon are probably trying to steer people to full frame and protect their more expensive models. The quality produced by new crop sensors is good enough in most sensors some pro's might not feel the need to buy more expensive bodies. You might have only needed a 400mm lens on a crop but now you need a 600mm on a FF so it encourages sales of more expensive lenses.

That is why I will be getting the new Tamron 150-600mm.  Canon may want us to buy 600mm but the jump in price is too great to justify any of their lenses.

There is a huge jump in price when you go from a 400F5.6 to the big whites.... If you can afford to make that jump, then the cost of going from APSC to FF is insignificant to you. Conversely, the vast majority of people will never plop down $10,000 on a lens. It does not matter to them what the price difference is between FF or APSC..... even if APSC and FF were the same price, they are still not going to spend $10,000 on a lens. Canon knows this....
The best camera is the one in your hands

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 11:02:41 AM »

A couple of things:

It would give you more breathing room. With the current version of the 7D there are many reasons that a 1D IV or a 1D X would be superior. Most of which have nothing to do with framing and cropping. The AF system alone makes the 1D IV a far superior camera. The low light abilities and the AF system of the 1D X make even more superior.

But there is a question, what if a 7D II sensor closes this gap?

As far as a TC, it slows down AF system and breaks down IQ.  But if there is an argument that a crop sensor would cannibalize 600mm sales why would Canon release a TC that might do the same. It isn't going to happen.
The fanatic birders are already using teleconverters on their 600's, so the logic is flawed... If only they would put the 1200F5.6 back into production :) :) :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 11:02:41 AM »

lopicma

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Google+ Page
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 11:09:23 AM »
It seems like a high end APS-C camera would have a higher profit margin than a mid-low level one.  Similar to the automobile industry, the difference between a Cadillac and a Chevy is negligible when it comes to sourcing parts, but the profit on a Cadillac is higher, because your paying for "a Cadillac".

Other than a magnesium body, what are the REAL differences between a 70D and a 7D?  The menu system for sure, but that's easy to change...  The DIGIC processor...?

My point is, they have more in common than in difference.

thfifthcrouch

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 11:16:25 AM »
Probably has more to do with the Canon 6d reaching the 1500.00 dollar price mark (and sometimes lower).  If the 7d mark ii comes in over that it, it becomes maybe a niche commodity that doesn't sell all that well.  I think the market looks at full frame as the complete item.  The biggest reason for crop was affordability and if it loses that it could be phased out. 

Ellen Schmidtee

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 11:21:57 AM »
My 2c is that Canon might have too many DSLR lines to differentiate, and might want to cancel one of them. I mean, how many ways can Canon slice features like AF, DPAF, and SD vs. CF cards?

Looking at it another way, Canon is about to finish upgrading all it's super teles, after which it probably plans not to upgrade again for 20 more years. Canon will probably need to push out a 24MP APS-C sensor soon. I doubt the super teles can resolve a lot more than 24MP on APS-C. So, if Canon released a 7DmkII with a 24MP sensor, the same issue would rise with the lower lines - can't raise resolution, so what differentiates the lower lines?

So my guess Canon is going to eliminate a line of cameras, maybe merging the xxD & 7D lines.

jrista

• 1D X
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2013, 11:25:18 AM »
That is simply not true.  A 400mm lens on a cropped FF image is exactly the same as 400mm on a crop sensor.

Close but not quite. In recent discussions extreme cropping showed benefits with the crop sensor. Maybe the difference is small enough for most people to ignore, but if you know you will be doing a lot of heavy cropping one might still choose a higher density sensor for practical reasons.
We also still have the phenomenon of the SX50HS providing better results than any other camera when cropped to the same sensor size.

No 7DII? If they're trying to protect the 1Dx, then they're going to have to drop the price on that for more people to adopt it. Alternatively I guess they could launch the 6D2 with similar specs to the 5D3, and then move the 5D4 that much closer to 1Dx performance.
Which then makes me wonder what consumer level camera would eventually get a big MP sensor.

Some people argue that denser sampling is what will meet their needs (APS -C)... Some argue that bigger pixels with lower noise and higher ISO meets their needs (FF). Both sides are right and for some people the answer comes down to one of each.

We could argue the merits of denser sampling against increased noise until the cows come home, but in the end it comes down to sales. If canon thinks that there is enough of a market to make sales of a particular camera profitable then they will sell it. Judging from the pent-up demand for a 7D2 on this site, it would seem like there is.

+1 Couldn't agree more, on all points!

I can't imagine Canon not releasing a 7D II, especially after they clearly said they will be doing something special with it. There is definitely pent up demand. People don't talk much while they are all "pent up", so I figure this is just rumor trolling going on...someone wanting to get a rise. People will talk and rave and hate once the thing is announced.

Then, maybe then, after the 7D II release, I could possibly see Canon dropping the line, if they truly think the pro future is purely in FF. That said...they would have to respond with something in the FF line that had a decent frame rate AND high pixel density, because that is ultimately what the 7D is about...pixel density. It doesn't really matter what the frame size is, so long as you can resolve more detail at a high frame rate.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 11:26:15 AM »
Probably has more to do with the Canon 6d reaching the 1500.00 dollar price mark (and sometimes lower).  If the 7d mark ii comes in over that it, it becomes maybe a niche commodity that doesn't sell all that well.  I think the market looks at full frame as the complete item.  The biggest reason for crop was affordability and if it loses that it could be phased out.

+1

Same reason why we haven't seen a D400 either, as of yet - not even in rumours.

I believe that when the 70D and the D7100 were designed, they left some room in the specs for more pro models. Later on they might have realized that it's not viable marketing-wise to have such cameras at such an eventually high price point, with FF getting cheaper and cheaper.

That said, the good part is that both the 70D and the D7100 are amazing cameras.

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2013, 11:50:21 AM »
but... but... M.ST sure has the prototype already?

No doubt Canon has/had plans for a 7d2, but maybe they think that the price point for an aps-c with a 1dx-type af system won't find enough buyers, esp. if the sensor again isn't a big step up from the 70d.

They'll probably wait some more until they have a real new sensor design and have the 1dx2 & 5d4 on the market - the Nikon d7100 is a very competent camera with a very good af system, and that's what Canon has to beat by a good margin to justify a much higher price.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2013, 11:50:21 AM »

rs

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2013, 11:55:54 AM »
TCs are cool but they do represent a loss in f/stops, slightly degraded images and the need for higher ISOs.  So I kinda think that it becomes a wash vs a crop frame.  But tiz a good point about tracking a bird with a bigger view finder.

If the lens is good enough (eg the 300 II or the 600 II), they appear to take TC's better than the current (well, 60D) generation of crop sensors to get tighter framing than the lens offers natively:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=748&Camera=736&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=748&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=1&APIComp=0

The loss of an f-stop is something that levels some of the gap between the two, but with the latest generation of Canon SLR's, there's more than a stop difference between FF and crop.

However in crop cameras defense, AF takes a hit with a TC, so you'd need better AF on FF to bridge that gap. Also, at the price point, its much easier to make a smaller mirror flap faster and a smaller shutter have a higher flash sync speed.
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

crasher8

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2013, 11:58:42 AM »
All of this discussion has got me thinking of the possibility to add a TC to a body as opposed to a lens. An integrated TC could offer better IQ than one lens dependent. Nikon does it through the sensor but why not through a mount and with optics? Yes I know it's partly a ricockulous idea and the weight alone and bulk as well would prohibitive...just wondering after TC's and crop vs FF use of certain lenses was mentioned above.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2013, 11:58:42 AM »