October 21, 2014, 08:29:03 AM

Author Topic: Canon's APS-C flagship may have a new name (not 7D Mark II)  (Read 8311 times)

mkabi

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon's APS-C flagship may have a new name (not 7D Mark II)
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 12:07:21 AM »
...7D was/is a stills shooter body first and foremost....

So you think the 7D and the 5D mark ii was popularized b/c it was a still body first and foremost?

Well I have no idea where you pulled the 5D2 comment from since my post had no mention but as for the 7D I was not speaking of popularity but of features such as an advanced AF system for still photography. Mainly sports. Do you have a different opinion?

Never mind, I don't know where my mind was... when I wrote that...
Canon 7D - EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L, EF - 20mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 100mm f/2.0, Custom Cine 50mm & Custom Cine 35mm

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 12:07:21 AM »

Lemmy Shoyu

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2013, 03:02:56 AM »

ClickIt_AC

• Power Shot G7X
  • Shoot First... ask questions later!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 08:44:46 AM »
Slight off topic thinking out loud.

Names we'll prob never see from Canon -

2D - can you imagine a 2D2? Sounds too much like a star wars character.
3D - do we need special glasses or what? Also too close to nintendo 3DS.
4D - four also reads as death in Japanese.
8D - 2 x 4 = 8 still a multiple of four. Superstition may keep this name at bay! Also sounds like you're saying 80.
10D - we already had it. Could make a comeback though.

You can see why they chose 1, 5, 6 and 7 now. Maybe they're runnin out of numbers?

I really hope they don't use random made up words instead!

Hi Zv and colleagues.

My first post on here I think! For some reason my last post and pics never uploaded even though I was within the MP upload size constraint!

In my experience, the Japanese are never random about anything! I worked for them for eighteen months and they are more likely to go quiet for months, then just pop up suddenly and spring something! Sounds typical canon to me.

Then they are probably likely to use some spiritual or historically significant (to them) type name!

So that would make for the following grades:

Warrior Class

1Dx = King
5D3 = Shogun
7D = Daimyo
xxD = Samurai
xxxD = Noble
M Class = Elite
I guess that makes the power shot etc the Peasant a,b,c or maybe something a bit cooler sounding!

Spiritual Class

1Dx = Ameterasu
5D3 = Onnotangu
7D = Qamar
xxD = Naga
xxxD = Kami
M Class = Qatol
I guess that makes the powershot etc the Jade, Bright Eyes, Pale Eyes or again, maybe something a bit cooler sounding!

Looking at these names... The KISS doesnt seem so bad! LOL :-)

5D3 Landscape/Portrait, 7D Sport, 550D Hols.
70-300L, 24-105 f4L, 17-40 f4L, 28-70 f2.8L, 40 f2.8, EF-S 15-85 IS, Sig. 150-500,Sig. 105 Macro.

Viper28

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2013, 08:54:49 AM »
I don't mind them changing to names (within reason). Given the next 7D's current visability I think they should go with "Canon Stealth" or "Canon Ghost"
Cheer Simon

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2013, 09:53:07 AM »
If it's being renamed, it's probably going to be a 50D -> 60D scenario, unfortunately.

7D MarkII, on the name alone, will draw people in since it's a known quantity. 

But if you look at the 50D -> 60D change . . . was there anything wrong with the 60D?  No. 
How many posts have there been about 'no metal body' and 'no mfa'? A billion. 
What was wrong with the release? Expectations.

If the 60D had been named it a Kiss PRO or a 600D PRO, people would have complained about something else . . . the 7D could have been the 60D and (from the huge price difference) they could have sold both.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2013, 10:43:09 AM »
If it's being renamed, it's probably going to be a 50D -> 60D scenario, unfortunately.

7D MarkII, on the name alone, will draw people in since it's a known quantity. 

But if you look at the 50D -> 60D change . . . was there anything wrong with the 60D?  No. 
How many posts have there been about 'no metal body' and 'no mfa'? A billion. 
What was wrong with the release? Expectations.

If the 60D had been named it a Kiss PRO or a 600D PRO, people would have complained about something else . . . the 7D could have been the 60D and (from the huge price difference) they could have sold both.
except for the lack of AFMA, the 60D was a fine camera.... note that AFMA is back on the 70D... apparantly Canon listens...
The best camera is the one in your hands

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 12:11:05 PM »
except for the lack of AFMA, the 60D was a fine camera.... note that AFMA is back on the 70D... apparantly Canon listens...

I agree, but I'm saying the perceived 'loss of features' came from the fact that they repositioned the camera, and I'm wondering if they've "learned from their mistake" and maybe that's why they're not calling it a 7D mk II.

Honestly, the only things I don't like about my 7D are:
1) no locking wheel
2) No dual-MFA entries (like the new ones)

If it had the kidsy settings the 60D, it'd make my life easier, as I could ditch my 60D that my wife gets as a loaner when she needs something good.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 12:11:05 PM »