November 24, 2017, 04:48:01 AM

Author Topic: Want the 90EX?  (Read 12780 times)

dcm

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • It's not the gear.
Re: Want the 90EX?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2014, 10:54:45 PM »
I haven't used it a lot, but it works fine for me - much better light output than any P&S flash and much more flexible.  Yes, I do wish it had tilt/swivel capabilities but that would just add to the size and I kinda like it's small form factor more.

You need to check the Flash Function Settings under the External Speedlite Control options in the first menu screen.  The key is to make sure wireless is turned Off if you want the flash to fire normally.  It is a little confusing to see OFF next to the ETTL/M selection.  I do wish there was a shortcut to this menu.  I forgot to reset it once and got results similar to yours.

I just did some simple tests to verify my understanding.  No problem shooting in P with the 18-55 at 55 from 12-15 feet using ETTL with wireless Off, first/second curtain synchro.  A bit hot if anything so I dial it down 1/2 to 1 stop in ETTL mode.  Shooting manual with wireless Off lets you adjust the power output of the 90EX from 1/1 to 1/64.  I needed to dial the 90EX power output down between 1/2 and 1/4 for this range in manual. 

The 90EX also goes nicely with the 40f2.8 on my 6D as a small, relatively light DSLR kit.  The 6D menus appear to be identical to the M.  ETTL works fine but I have to drop the power output to 1/16 for the 12 foot range when using the 40 due to larger aperture.

With my 430EX in the M's hotshoe the wireless option blanks out, Zoom becomes operative, and high speed sync appears in shutter synchronization.  With manual flash I have to drop the power output to 1/64 for this range, but that's easy to do through the menu.  So the 90EX appears to operate mostly same as 430EX, with the expected drop in power.  The M is a lot easier to handle with the 90EX on it.

If wireless is ON with ETTL or Manual flash, it just sends a minimal control flash and the off camera flash is expected to provide all the lighting.  You still have exposure compensation or flash output level control with the off camera flash.  I use this to control an off camera 430EX with a softbox for portraits in ETTL or M modes, from both my M and 6D. 

You might want to experiment with the settings a bit more before dismissing the flash.  Or you may have a defective unit as someone else suggested.
Shooting with Canon since 1982 - 1DX2, M5, some lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2014, 10:54:45 PM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2014, 11:48:56 PM »
I am dissing the 90EX for it's original purpose. It is a POS.

I am the one who is being called ".. a semi-pro wanna-be like some that bemoan its ability to trigger other off-camera flashes....". But I am not the only one who has pointed out "I only used it as an optical master, and it didn't perform well in that role." or "I tried to locate my slaves at various points in relation to the 90EX optical master and found they had to be within maybe 60 degrees of the direction it was facing or they would not fire"

As for saying this "That's the more ridiculous and over-the-top statement than anything I have said so far..." about my comment  "Guys don't get too excited about the 90EX, I got one in an M kit, it is useless; utterly useless as a flash, or even for fill, its only practical use is as an optical master but even then it is somewhat limited having no power, bounce, or swivel capabilities."

My retort would be this image. This was taken with the M and 90EX, I was shocked at what I thought was the bad performance of ETTL in this situation so put the flash in manual and full power, turned out it wasn't the ETTL.....

EXIF: 1/30 sec, f5.6, iso400, manual flash full power, the ambient light levels are low as it is early evening, the subject about 4-6 feet from me, you can tell the flash fired because of the catch lights in the eyes. Batteries were brand new.

Now call me a "wanna be pro" all you like, but if a dedicated flash can't provide on axis fill at 4-6 feet in EV8, for a real world guide number of under 10, then it is a POS.

I thought maybe the 90EX bypassed your subject and lit up the mountain-side in the back!  :o

Edit: Um... fake mountainside, I think.

Yep, fake. Disney in Florida so just about as fake as you can get, fun ride though.  :)
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2014, 11:54:16 PM »
I am dissing the 90EX for it's original purpose. It is a POS.

EXIF: 1/30 sec, f5.6, iso400, manual flash full power, the ambient light levels are low as it is early evening, the subject about 4-6 feet from me, you can tell the flash fired because of the catch lights in the eyes. Batteries were brand new.

Now call me a "wanna be pro" all you like, but if a dedicated flash can't provide on axis fill at 4-6 feet in EV8, for a real world guide number of under 10, then it is a POS.

Did you have the wireless optical control turned on in the custom flash functions?

If the wireless control is enabled the 90EX fires at very low power - even if it's set to Manual & Full Power in the settings.

I've had no trouble using the 90EX up to 3-4 meters from the subject.

It's not the greatest flash; but it's definitely not a POS.

If yours doesn't work correctly, and the wireless control option is off, then it sounds like it's defective.

Phil.

Phil, you might well be on to something there, the wireless control is/was off but I just tested it as fill on a 1Ds MkIII and it is much more powerful, so I do seem to have a technical issue with either my M or my 90EX. The wireless control being off was a conincidence by the way, I wasn't aware of the output limit when it was on.

Thanks for making me look at it again, obviously all the other limitations still apply, but I will investigate the fill flash capabilities in a new light on different bodies. Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 11:58:13 PM by privatebydesign »
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

bholliman

• EOS 5DS R
    • [color=blue]Flick[/color][color=red]r[/color]
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2014, 12:38:49 AM »
I haven't used it a lot, but it works fine for me - much better light output than any P&S flash and much more flexible.  Yes, I do wish it had tilt/swivel capabilities but that would just add to the size and I kinda like it's small form factor more.

You need to check the Flash Function Settings under the External Speedlite Control options in the first menu screen.  The key is to make sure wireless is turned Off if you want the flash to fire normally.  It is a little confusing to see OFF next to the ETTL/M selection.  I do wish there was a shortcut to this menu.  I forgot to reset it once and got results similar to yours.

I just did some simple tests to verify my understanding.  No problem shooting in P with the 18-55 at 55 from 12-15 feet using ETTL with wireless Off, first/second curtain synchro.  A bit hot if anything so I dial it down 1/2 to 1 stop in ETTL mode.  Shooting manual with wireless Off lets you adjust the power output of the 90EX from 1/1 to 1/64.  I needed to dial the 90EX power output down between 1/2 and 1/4 for this range in manual. 

The 90EX also goes nicely with the 40f2.8 on my 6D as a small, relatively light DSLR kit.  The 6D menus appear to be identical to the M.  ETTL works fine but I have to drop the power output to 1/16 for the 12 foot range when using the 40 due to larger aperture.

With my 430EX in the M's hotshoe the wireless option blanks out, Zoom becomes operative, and high speed sync appears in shutter synchronization.  With manual flash I have to drop the power output to 1/64 for this range, but that's easy to do through the menu.  So the 90EX appears to operate mostly same as 430EX, with the expected drop in power.  The M is a lot easier to handle with the 90EX on it.

If wireless is ON with ETTL or Manual flash, it just sends a minimal control flash and the off camera flash is expected to provide all the lighting.  You still have exposure compensation or flash output level control with the off camera flash.  I use this to control an off camera 430EX with a softbox for portraits in ETTL or M modes, from both my M and 6D. 

You might want to experiment with the settings a bit more before dismissing the flash.  Or you may have a defective unit as someone else suggested.

I suppose it really depends on how you use flash.  I almost never use direct, on-camera flash.  I am looking for flashes that allow me to bounce flash when on-camera or to be a master for off camera slaves.  The 90EX doesn't work well for those purposes. 

It apparently does work well for on-camera direct flash (providing wireless is turned off in the menu settings).  So, it's value will vary depending on intended use as with many other things.
5DsR, EF Lenses: 35mm f/2IS, 300mm f/2.8L II IS, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8LII, 70-200mm f/2.8LIS II, 100-400mm II
M5, M series lenses: Rokinon 12mm f/2, EF-M 22mm f/2, 18-150mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/68928679@N05

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2014, 10:37:40 PM »
How's this for a testament.  As I said before... I own the 90ex and I was going to do some optical triggering with it along side my 580ex ii's... and after 2 sessions with it... I'm buying a wireless transceiver because I do not like the 90 ex.  I do not like it on a train... i do not like it on a boat... I would not use it in Spain... i do not like it with a goat... sam I am...

It was slow to reload... which is a problem when shooting my 7 month old... she will smile intermittently so I have to have the shot ready when that happens... and no... the 90 exii went to sleep too often...

Sure it is fine for what it is supposed to be... a travel flash on a unit with no flash... but I whole heartedly hated the thing... and the experience MADE me to and buy something else.  I hate being forced to buy something when a stop gap measure will do just fine... this is not just fine.

Sorry... but it was pretty awful.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

bholliman

• EOS 5DS R
    • [color=blue]Flick[/color][color=red]r[/color]
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2014, 06:53:57 AM »
How's this for a testament.  As I said before... I own the 90ex and I was going to do some optical triggering with it along side my 580ex ii's... and after 2 sessions with it... I'm buying a wireless transceiver because I do not like the 90 ex.  I do not like it on a train... i do not like it on a boat... I would not use it in Spain... i do not like it with a goat... sam I am...

It was slow to reload... which is a problem when shooting my 7 month old... she will smile intermittently so I have to have the shot ready when that happens... and no... the 90 exii went to sleep too often...

Sure it is fine for what it is supposed to be... a travel flash on a unit with no flash... but I whole heartedly hated the thing... and the experience MADE me to and buy something else.  I hate being forced to buy something when a stop gap measure will do just fine... this is not just fine.

Sorry... but it was pretty awful.

+1 sold mine for the same reasons.  We have a 22 month old son, and I was missing way too many shots waiting for the 90EX to recycle as an on camera trigger.
5DsR, EF Lenses: 35mm f/2IS, 300mm f/2.8L II IS, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8LII, 70-200mm f/2.8LIS II, 100-400mm II
M5, M series lenses: Rokinon 12mm f/2, EF-M 22mm f/2, 18-150mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/68928679@N05

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2014, 06:53:57 AM »