September 20, 2014, 12:11:03 AM

Author Topic: 600mm too long?  (Read 4367 times)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
Re: 600mm too long?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 04:37:16 PM »
And now I have bought it!!

Just needed to tell someone before I expload from the inside of excitement! =)

I hope I can get it at the store this Thursday or Friday. Also bought a 1,4 converter and a Lowepro Lens trekker AW II. This weekend I will also order a RRS TVC-34L, Wimberley gimbal head, RRS lens foot and some other stuff.

Broke but happy =)

Thank you all for your advices.

Congrats.........don't be shy to post some pics
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 04:37:16 PM »

applecider

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 04:46:23 PM »
Two pictures from a walk around a local park in Portland OR during a sunny January day.  Both taken with the 600mm with a 2x extender.  The first a Great Blue Heron in a tree over the path and the second a wood duck taking off- with an inadequate shutter speed causing unsharpness.  The GBH is cropped a little the wood duck is adobe bridged for exposure and sharpness conversion from raw to jpeg, otherwise unchanged.
Edit my point here is that the the 840 (600+1.4) is not too long for a variety of fairly close range wild life use, the second picture would have been better if I had been able to remove the 1.4, and upped the shutter speed.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:58:31 PM by applecider »
AE-1, T90,EOS Elan 7e, EOS-M, 7D, 5D3, 1dx, ef40 2.8, ef 85 1.2ii, ef100 is 2.8 macro, ef300 2.8ii, ef400 2.8ii, ef600 is ii usm, ef8-15 f4, ef16-35 ii, ef24-70 ii, ef 24-105, ef 70-200, 2xext ii, 2xext iii, 1.4x ext iii.

Morlin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2014, 05:47:37 PM »
Thank you all.

Like a child waiting for Christmas I´m almost having a hard time getting to sleep because of the excitement and expectations. I know though that there will be a learning period to use that focal length but I´m willing to practice.

I have my "camera gear account" and that one will be pretty empty after this but I sold my motorbike (a sports bike with expensive insurance) and did a lot of paid studio photography and so on last year to save the money needed. I guess I would have a pretty upset girlfriend if this was taken from our ordinary account but she is very understanding and knows that this is my only interest and there is no place I´m so calm and feeling so good as in the woods. =)

Pictures will be posted later and I totally agree that a daily check in the lens picture category and also the different categories as BIF and so on is worth a daily check =)

Really glad I found this forum. So many people with knowledge that are helpful and also have humor. Much appreciated.

For those interested here is a link to some pictures. http://www.pbnphoto.se/djur

Have more on Facebook. Also PBN Photo. The language is Swedish but I guess you can have a look around anyway. "Fotogalleri" = Photo gallery. The site is not the best when it comes to looking at pictures but it´s free and ok enough for me and my hobby for now.

Now I will try to get some sleep to make the time go faster until Thursday =)

candc

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2014, 08:58:23 PM »
You have a lot of really good photos posted on that site. Looking at what you  have there I would think the 200-400 would fit the variety of shooting that you do very well, I really don't think you are going to be wanting a shallower dof than what that lens offers, usually you want to stop down at those long fl to get more in focus, not less.

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2014, 10:13:16 PM »
Is that doughnuts I see?
-100% RAW-

Morlin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 01:01:58 AM »
Is that doughnuts I see?

Doughnuts? Where? Or what do you mean?

Morlin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 01:15:33 AM »
You have a lot of really good photos posted on that site. Looking at what you  have there I would think the 200-400 would fit the variety of shooting that you do very well, I really don't think you are going to be wanting a shallower dof than what that lens offers, usually you want to stop down at those long fl to get more in focus, not less.

Thank you. I have a lot more that do qualify for my little site but I´m a bit lazy updating it. Might be more often when I have the 600mm =)

The choice was hard between the 600mm and the 200-400mm but my thought was that when I walk around in the woods doing my best to come near the animals and don´t have a specific breed in mind to photograph and where the 200-400mm and the flexibility that it offers would come in handy I think it´s too heavy and big to be seen as versatile. And when I move around like that in the woods I don´t like to carry too much heavy gear and want to be able to crawl and move very easy to get close. For an example I often climb up a little bit in a tree and so on to get closer to the animals. Today I use a 70-200 for that but my goal is to have a 300mm 2,8 for that and also use it with converters when I want the portability and also reach. But for the longer distance shots and when I have planned where to sit and need the reach I think that 600mm will come in handy.

Thanks though for the advice and your thoughts.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 01:15:33 AM »

johnf3f

• Canon 70D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2014, 05:33:49 PM »
Thank you. I have a lot more that do qualify for my little site but I´m a bit lazy updating it. Might be more often when I have the 600mm =)

The choice was hard between the 600mm and the 200-400mm but my thought was that when I walk around in the woods doing my best to come near the animals and don´t have a specific breed in mind to photograph and where the 200-400mm and the flexibility that it offers would come in handy I think it´s too heavy and big to be seen as versatile. And when I move around like that in the woods I don´t like to carry too much heavy gear and want to be able to crawl and move very easy to get close. For an example I often climb up a little bit in a tree and so on to get closer to the animals. Today I use a 70-200 for that but my goal is to have a 300mm 2,8 for that and also use it with converters when I want the portability and also reach. But for the longer distance shots and when I have planned where to sit and need the reach I think that 600mm will come in handy.

Thanks though for the advice and your thoughts.
[/quote]

I found the combination of a 600 F4 IS Mk1 and a 300 F2.8 IS Mk1 to be excellent but a bit heavy when carrying both! Given that you have bought the, much lighter, 600 Mk2 adding a 300 F2.8 would still allow you to cover reasonable distances and offer great flexibility (greater with your extenders). When you have to do some more serious walking the 300 will shine as it works so well with extenders, it will fit (with the hood in the ready position) in your pack and give a very good lightweight setup with serious reach in good light.
You are going to have some fun with your new lens, adding a 300 F2.8 will just be icing on the cake!

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 04:52:42 PM »
And now I have bought it!!

Just needed to tell someone before I expload from the inside of excitement! =)

I hope I can get it at the store this Thursday or Friday. Also bought a 1,4 converter and a Lowepro Lens trekker AW II. This weekend I will also order a RRS TVC-34L, Wimberley gimbal head, RRS lens foot and some other stuff.

Broke but happy =)

Thank you all for your advices.

Good job, depending on the actual definition of "broke". I would never want to put myself in a position where I actually have nothing in the bank, but spending leftover cash is a good feeling.

Right now I'm debating between getting a new car, or a nice used car with leftovers going to a big white. I really have no need for any of it, but those who are good at saving get to have these problems.

Go with a used car and a big white.  A new car doesnt get you much but a loss of thousands as soon as youndrive it off the lot.  Put that money toward a good lens.  There really is no other logical choice in the matter.

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 07:49:24 PM »
Is that doughnuts I see?

Doughnuts? Where? Or what do you mean?

On your website, in the tenth image from the bottom (and a few others) the bokeh looks like the ring effect you get with a mirror lens. If that's the case it makes your images that much more impressive, as far as I know mirror lenses don't have autofocus.
-100% RAW-

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 07:49:24 PM »